IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2008 Biennial of the International Palm Society – Members Unite in Costa Rica

Palmarum

2008 IPS Biennial - Costa Rica

Day 06: Thursday, May 8th

Poáz Volcano National Park -> La Paz Waterfall Gardens

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 11:12AM: I took advantage of temporally empty seats to reach on over to the right-side windows to take some more photos. Our trip to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens was only going to take about a half hour so attendees kept the party going, instead of doing quieter activities. The occupant of the seat I was in came back quickly, so I had to move back over to my side of the bus.

2008-05-08_11-12-54.jpg

- 11:13AM: I stood up in my seat and angled my camera over a few heads to get this photo of a farm. We were driving back along the same curvy and hilly road from this morning, so at some points we were on an outside of a curve looking straight down the mountain. Some people on the right side of the bus got queasy and were leaning away from the windows. The owner of the farm took advantage of this well traveled road and advertised on the barn's roof.

2008-05-08_11-13-17.jpg

- The clear weather continued, and we took in incredible views of nursery after nursery. I could not imagine how many plants were in production under all that shade cloth.

2008-05-08_11-13-41.jpg

- 11:47AM: We made a turn along the road we were on and began to follow the La Paz river. The forests quickly filled in around the road we were on so our scenic views were limited. This turned everyone's attention back inside the bus where people were busy planning the finale event aboard Bus #4, the no-talent show, which was to take place later in the day. With one great joke after another and one well-placed attendee bodily noise, time flew by and we pulled into the parking lot of the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Clouds had settled in and it started to drizzle a little bit, but no decent rain was in the forecast.

2008-05-08_11-47-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Wildlife Refuge

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 11:48AM: There was the standard red tape to deal with at the main entrance, some counting and tagging with CRT personnel, then we boarded a small fleet of golf carts. We were ferried down a short road to the Park Reception building. There, we walked through a set of doors to begin our tour of the Wildlife Refuge. Outside, the falling mist caused a universal and well rehearsed reaction among attendees to dig out their rain gear, myself and FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) included.

2008-05-08_11-48-17.jpg

- I quickly became overwhelmed by the entire operation. I knew little about the Gardens, minus a few seen waterfall photos. They obviously have a lot more to see than I had figured. The first half of the Gardens incorporates an extensive Wildlife Refuge which includes a huge sampling of Costa Rican, Central and South American wildlife. The entire park has a main trail (dotted line) that begins at the top of the mountain (bottom of map) and follows through the Wildlife Refuge then continues down through each of the major waterfalls. The trail was only downhill, an interesting design bonus. We would have lunch waiting for us halfway through the Wildlife Refuge at that six-sided restaurant. This whole area is privately owned property, so the owner opened up a bit of their backyard to bring this spectacular place to the public.

La_Paz_map.jpg

- 11:49AM: Ten minutes before noon, we started our own way down the trail. The majority of the plant life we were to encounter was part of the landscape. Very few of the plants were labeled, so there were constant identification challenges.

2008-05-08_11-49-14.jpg

- Turning around, I caught this view of IPS President and FM. Bo-Göran Lundkvist (bgl) bringing up the rear of our group. There were no sub-groups or anything here, it was a basically a big moving mob with one direction to follow. We made our way downhill and quickly left the Park Reception building behind.

2008-05-08_11-49-53.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 11:50AM: The descending staircase we were on met up with the main road that runs through the Gardens. Before we made a left turn onto the road, we passed around (and under) this behemoth Ensete ventricosum.

2008-05-08_11-50-29.jpg

- 11:51AM: Our first section of the refuge was the incredibly inviting Aviary. The very light rain was consistent and continued to fall as we entered the large screened-in enclosure. The Aviary was one of the more recent additions to the facility, having been opened only in the last year.

2008-05-08_11-51-59.jpg

- 11:52AM: Feathers everywhere... When we walked through the double set of baffled doors, we came face to face with every type of tropical bird an avian enthusiast could dream up. We had a few bird-brains, avian fanatics among us and they vanished as soon as we saw the first parrot. The trail went through the Aviary in one big loop, alternating from high areas to low areas, including a few tiki-hut lookout posts.

2008-05-08_11-52-55.jpg

- 11:53AM: The first parrot. There were many individual exhibits within the Aviary. They varied from stand-alone posts for the more docile of birds to the more compartmentalized habitats for the exotics.

2008-05-08_11-53-51.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 11:54AM: The Aviary was chocked full of not only birds, but had a great spread of tropical plants to look over. This was overkill for those of us who had to look at everything. When we entered the enclosure, we found out that the Gardens were a very popular destination with tourists today, as we 'attendees' were out numbered. Even though we were all on our own to move through the Gardens, several of the CRT Staff including CRT Guide Andres followed along and answered questions where ever needed.

2008-05-08_11-54-00.jpg

- Heliconias have a very heavy presence throughout much of the Gardens. They were the fill plant of choice in much of the landscape outside the Aviary. I have to leave this one to the experts. The closest identification I could come up with was Heliconia tortuosa cv. 'Red Twist', but I am not sure.

2008-05-08_11-54-14.jpg

- A rather wet Black-cheeked Woodpecker, Melanerpes pucherani, spent most of our time here darting back and forth over the heads of attendees.

2008-05-08_11-54-51.jpg

- 11:55AM: With our faint but inclement weather, I was forced for only the second time during the Biennial to use a rain sleeve for my camera. I had to do without a flash and a decent shutter speed for a little while. There were many docile birds that would be comfortable with us only a few feet away. This Red-lored Amazon Parrot, Amazona autumnalis, proudly posed for a large group of camera-wielding attendees.

2008-05-08_11-55-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 11:57AM: "It's the Froot Loops Bird!" This deluxe habitat formed the home for a group of Toucans, namely this Keel-billed Toucan (Rainbow-billed Toucan), Ramphastos sulfuratus. I had not seen a toucan in a few years and it was great to see a few attendees identify the bird in their own way.

2008-05-08_11-57-57.jpg

- 11:59AM: The screen enclosure did a fair job at diminishing the light rain fall, but don't tell that to any of the wildlife. I was able to quickly identify this bird due to our trip to the Arenal Hanging Bridges. This is a soaking wet and fluffed-up Blue-crowned Motmot, Momotus momota.

2008-05-08_11-59-40.jpg

- 12:00PM: High noon came and went with no notice to attendees. The passage of the sun through the sky was well hidden by the damp cloud cover. I made it through to the far side of the Aviary and turned around to see that many attendees were not in any hurry. There were many birds and many plants to bide our time with. The Toucan habitat on the right slowed the traffic down a great deal.

2008-05-08_12-00-45.jpg

- 12:01PM: The trail continued around this end of the Aviary and splintered off towards the tiki-hut lookout post. There were park guides positioned in strategic places around the exhibit and the Gardens in general. They were very informative. There was one guide stationed in the lookout post who spoke at least five different languages.

2008-05-08_12-01-35.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:01PM: Costa Rica is a native home for countless Heliconia species and cultivated varieties. The Gardens had not only native types but also many other popular cultivars from other countries. I tentatively identified this one as Heliconia bihai cv. 'Arawak', but so far my score with Heliconias has been so-so.

2008-05-08_12-01-56.jpg

- 12:02PM: The lookout post was a very popular attraction during our time in the Aviary, but the space within it was limited. We had to wait here for it to thin out before going up, as the post would fill up quickly.

2008-05-08_12-02-25.jpg

- A batch of Bus #4 attendees work their way through one of the lower areas of the Aviary. Paul Richnow heads on past heading towards the lookout post, while Andrea Searle chats with one of the park guides. There were a few guides that were assigned to specific groups of tourists, and they were leading them through the Gardens. It was amazing to listen to them cycle through languages as they spoke with their group in one language, then switched to English to answer one of our questions.

2008-05-08_12-02-59.jpg

- 12:05PM: I joined a group of attendees in climbing up to the lookout post; they of course filled it up before I got there. However, while standing on the small foot bridge that extends outside the post, I had a great view of the trees off to one side. This Blue-and-gold Macaw, Ara ararauna, weaved his way through the tree branches towards the lookout post. He seemed to find Biennial attendees interesting.

2008-05-08_12-05-16.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:05PM: <Woosh!> With one 'fowl' swoop of his wings, the Blue-and-gold Macaw, Ara ararauna, flies to the railing of the lookout post. If it wasn't the attendees that caught his attention, it was something they had in their hands.

2008-05-08_12-05-18.jpg

- Like on queue, as soon as he landed on the railing the cameras came out. Photo time indeed! On the right, FM. Jeff Searle readies his camera as FM. Bill Olson (Bill Olson) offers his forearm to the curious bird.

2008-05-08_12-05-36.jpg

- 12:06PM: With all of our attention focused on the Macaw, we forgot to check out our immediate vicinity, including what might be inches above our heads. I happened to look up into the wooden ceiling of the lookout post to find those yellow eyes staring right back. This Congo African Grey Parrot, Psittacus erithacus subsp. erithacus, seemed quite content hiding out on that one beam. I had to bend backwards and use the full wide angle just to fit him into the shot, because he was that close. I warned those under him to look out for anything he might 'drop'.

2008-05-08_12-06-17.jpg

- 12:08PM: The Macaw was in the limelight for several moments, and had no problem with the attention. The lookout post was still packed so we had to move in a tight circle just to give everyone a close look at the large blue bird. In one of the movements I caught a glimpse of a group of orange birds that seemed to be in contact through the screening, some on the inside, and some on the outside. Our guide Jorge mentioned that this was a common sight in the Aviary. The strange coloration on this Flame-colored Tanager, Piranga bidentata, was normal as it was still a juvenile.

2008-05-08_12-08-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:10PM: This Macaw knows how to get attention like a Broadway star. He bowed down, bobbed his head, moved sideways and fanned out his tail as spectators snapped away. He had his eyes on a piece of fruit that a certain attendee had in their hand.

2008-05-08_12-10-42.jpg

- 12:11PM: A small chunk of fruit changed hands and ended up in the beak of the Macaw, to the displeasure of the nearby park guide. The attendee in question shall remain nameless to protect them from the long reach and scorn of the park staff. <cough> Sanford <cough>

2008-05-08_12-11-09.jpg

- 12:13PM: "Zzz...zzz..." Let sleeping ducks lie. We departed from the Macaw Show and continued with the remaining part of the Aviary. When we were just about to reach a large, multi-habitat structure within the enclosure, we came upon this sleeping Black-bellied Whistling-duck, Dendrocygna autumnalis, a very common duck species throughout North, Central and South America.

2008-05-08_12-13-19.jpg

- There must be an advantage to sleeping standing up and on one leg that I do not get.

2008-05-08_12-13-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:14PM: When I approached the multi-habitat structure it was surrounded by visitors and attendees. The outer edge was ringed with onlookers so time was needed for them to clear before I could take a look. As I was waiting, this large bird was doing its best to avoid contact with people. It had enough and sprung into a leap diving into the nearby landscaping.

2008-05-08_12-14-02.jpg

- 12:15PM: The first habitat within the structure held a very interesting primate species. Curiosity seems to be a universal language between those of us in the Primates Order. I could see that the same glare found in the eyes of this Red-crested Tamarin, Saguinus geoffroyi, was shared with the eyes of its onlookers.

2008-05-08_12-15-49.jpg

- 12:16PM: A food bowl had been placed near a post within the habitat and just inside the mesh barrier. This allowed for most of us to get an up-close view of the Tamarin dining on various treats. FM. Paul Norris (Palmnorris) breaks out his video camera and films lunch in progress while FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) photographs the Tamarin at bowl side.

2008-05-08_12-16-13.jpg

- 12:17PM: Today, the lunch menu had only one item, bread. At times the Tamarin seemed more interested in us than in its midday snack.

2008-05-08_12-17-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:18PM: "Uh...Excuse me?"

2008-05-08_12-18-21.jpg

- Everyone moved around the structure in a clockwise fashion visiting each habitat in turn. Next door to the Tamarin habitat was a larger one housing a healthy population of Common Marmosets, Callithrix jacchus. The group was involved in an assortment of activities, from eating and sleeping to posing for photos and preening each other for insect pests; similar to life on Bus #4. It was also time for lunch and the food of choice was again, bread.

2008-05-08_12-18-32.jpg

- "Yum!"

2008-05-08_12-18-40.jpg

- I couldn't help myself at this point. He was so close to the mesh and was so expressive I had to continue shooting. Some of the Marmosets would dip their piece of bread in water to soften it up. We each have our own ways to eat after all.

2008-05-08_12-18-43.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:19PM: The structure was mostly undercover, so I decided to remove the rain sleeve from my camera. It allowed me to use my flash to get some better photos of the animals within the habitats. It also had an unexpected effect on this second curious Common Marmoset, Callithrix jacchus who came over to see what the bread-eating individual above was so interested in. The rain sleeve is basically a plastic bag, so as I held it under my right arm it made crinkle noises.

2008-05-08_12-19-19.jpg

- When I figured out it was keeping his attention, I used it to capture his 'stare' while I moved in to get some up-close shots of his eyes and face. I held out the rain sleeve and crinkled it louder to get him to turn his head. In one attempt, he reached out and almost grabbed it out of my hand.

2008-05-08_12-19-26.jpg

- My success in getting some good shots caught the attention of a passing group being led by a park guide. Her group crowded around and joined in on the shooting frenzy. That red light coming in from the right side is the auto-focus assist lamp from one of their cameras.

2008-05-08_12-19-28.jpg

- This third individual was in behind on a branch and followed the rain sleeve up, down, left, and right wherever I moved it. It was like conducting an orchestra.

2008-05-08_12-19-59.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:20PM: There were some members of the Marmoset delegation so involved in what they were doing, or what was being done to them, that no matter what I did, I could not get their attention. The park guide however had a keen connection to these animals so she was able to call them over.

2008-05-08_12-20-23.jpg

- 12:21PM: The park guide had mentioned, that these Marmosets were her most favorite animals in the Gardens and she knew them quite well. She reached out with one finger and tickled the paws of one of her furry friends.

2008-05-08_12-21-04.jpg

- She went on to add that these Marmosets were the most well-behaved animals in the whole establishment. I could have stayed here all day, but there was so much more to see.

2008-05-08_12-21-19.jpg

- 12:22PM: We walked around the Marmoset habitat and turned left through a baffled door to enter a unique experience. A large habitat was open to foot traffic and contained a flock of different Toucan species. This was as close to hands on as one could get. Instead of viewing them through a mesh barrier, we got within inches of them. I was about two feet away from this Keel-billed Toucan (Rainbow-billed Toucan), Ramphastos sulfuratus, when I took his photo. A second later he flew over my head to another perch.

2008-05-08_12-22-44.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:23PM: In a moment of photographic bliss, I forgot that I was actually in the cage with the subjects. I was sizing up a photo of a Toucanet nearby when I felt the top of my hat being tugged. I stopped and turned to look up and found this Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, Ramphastos swainsonii, a few inches above my head and looking guilty. He was bobbing his head and turning his beak left and right as I was trying my best to communicate.

2008-05-08_12-23-14.jpg

- Of the six species of Toucans native to Costa Rica, the large habitat featured two of the more common and familiar species; the Chestnut-mandibled Toucan and the Rainbow-billed Toucan. Both species are roughly the same size and have a similar pattern in plumage. This friendly specimen shows off his huge, chestnut-brown bill which he would normally use to harvest fruit from the rain forest. Some people believe that the Toucan's bill is heavy but actually, it is not. It is formed from a honeycombed tissue that is light, but very hard.

2008-05-08_12-23-26.jpg

- 12:24PM: He seemed to predict which poses I wanted him to do for photos.

2008-05-08_12-24-22.jpg

- 12:25PM: The walk-in habitat was a huge favorite and was constantly crowded. It made moving about and getting clear images a little difficult. Attendees and tourists alike were enamored with the friendly nature of the birds within the habitat. There were more birds in the habitat than one visitor could see at one time. They were always in a constant state of changing their location.

2008-05-08_12-25-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:25PM: The third species of Toucan, or Toucanet that found its home in the walk-in habitat was this brilliant Blue-throated Toucanet, Aulacorhynchus caeruleogularis. It was the smallest of the group but was by far the most highly decorated.

2008-05-08_12-25-37.jpg

- When this blue bird flew through the air you noticed. It was like watching a sapphire lightning bolt striking from post to perch.

2008-05-08_12-25-45.jpg

- 12:26PM: With the utter abundance of photo opportunities I had to start making my way towards the exit or risk spending way too much time here. I was in the corner of the habitat, being hemmed in by the crowd, when I had a closer than usual experience with another Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, Ramphastos swainsonii. He kept tapping that food bowl with his beak so I asked one of the stationary park guides for a treat but he did not have any. I grabbed my gear and wedged my way through the crowd towards the exit.

2008-05-08_12-26-02.jpg

- Not all the birds in the habitat seemed to be happy with the large crowd. This particular Keel-billed Toucan (Rainbow-billed Toucan), Ramphastos sulfuratus, was very vocal and seemed to be preening himself incessantly. That large bill was very handy it seems.

2008-05-08_12-26-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:28PM: I made my escape from the walk-in habitat and continued through the last few feet of the Aviary. By this time, I had lost track will all but a few attendees. Leaving the Aviary, I entered this long inclining interior walkway lined on both sides with preserved butterfly displays. The baffled door on the opposite side of the group led into the next area to be explored, the Butterfly Exhibit.

2008-05-08_12-28-18.jpg

- 12:29PM: Each preserved butterfly display was like an encyclopedia of species from one area of Costa Rica after another. The window box effect made them seem more alive than they were, but the main exhibit up ahead was the land of the living.

2008-05-08_12-29-24.jpg

- The Blue Morpho Butterfly, Morpho peleides, seen here in a less than lively condition, is the most famous of Costa Rican insects. The large blue iridescent wings have propelled this butterfly to unnatural status among enthusiasts. It is quite common throughout the country. One will often find hundreds of captured, preserved and boxed specimens for sale at roadside stands, markets and even in the large modern shopping centers.

2008-05-08_12-29-43.jpg

- 12:31PM: The underside, or bottom of the Blue Morpho's wings are quite different than the top. The dark spots are to imitate eyes to deter an potential predator. This was a living individual, and he was one of the first butterflies to be seen in the Butterfly Exhibit as I walked through the baffled chain door.

2008-05-08_12-31-32.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:31PM: I made a sharp turn and entered a short flight of stairs when soon after I could hear the familiar banter of Bus #4 attendees. I was beginning to catch up a bit. When I made it to the top of the stairs, I entered the main area of the Butterfly Exhibit. Even though I could only hear some of the Bus #4 attendees I could see evidence of where they had been. This white ginger was a crime scene as someone had placed the carcass of a recently stepped-on butterfly, a Silverspot Butterfly, Dione juno to be precise, upon the bloom. Forensics were unable to get DNA off of the deceased, but there was a rumor going around as to who was the chief suspect...

2008-05-08_12-31-54.jpg

- 12:32PM: Not to worry, there were hundreds of lively butterflies that were inhabiting the exhibit today, with more arriving every minute. This was a living Silverspot Butterfly, Dione juno that was digging nectar out of flowers belonging to a dwarf Pink Pentas.

2008-05-08_12-32-52.jpg

- 12:33PM: Speaking of new arrivals, I should have said they come every second not every minute. The whole length of one side of the exhibit was dedicated to the rearing of butterflies. There were multiple displays showing larval butterflies in different stages of emergence. This was a brand new Tiger Leafwing Butterfly, Consul fabius cecrops, enjoying its first birthday with curious attendees looking on.

2008-05-08_12-33-12.jpg

- 12:34PM: There were literally clouds of butterflies moving around the exhibit. They would land on just about everything, including all of us. This begonia held something of interest to this Hecales Longwing Butterfly, Heliconius hecale.

2008-05-08_12-34-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:34PM: Pentas are an incredibly good butterfly attractant, both here at the Butterfly Exhibit and back home in South Florida. They will swarm all over them like moths to a light bulb. This Cydno Longwing Butterfly, or simply the "Cydno" Heliconius cydno, was certainly no exception to the rule.

2008-05-08_12-34-59.jpg

- 12:35PM: "Watch your step." The Butterfly Exhibit was a great experience for those who do not see butterflies on a regular basis. I still found it both enjoyable and educational even though I see them in my yard all the time. I was well educated as to which plants served as nectar sources and those that were host plants. There were common ones mixed in with some unusual choices I would had never guessed to be useful with butterflies. FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) keeps his camera at the ready to zoom in and capture butterflies in situ. Pay no attention to that half-eaten apple.

2008-05-08_12-35-32.jpg

- 12:36PM: Your guess is as good as mine. This large spotted butterfly was content to stay plastered to the wall as I took my turn photographing it.

2008-05-08_12-36-59.jpg

- 12:37PM: The exterior portion of this wall held the more 'soon to emerge' larval butterflies. On the interior, there are dozens of wooden holding platforms covered with thousands of would-be butterflies. We got to see a variety of species popping out of their cocoons.

2008-05-08_12-37-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:37PM: A different species of Blue Morpho, Morpho helenor marinita had the best looking cocoon. They looked like tiny jade sculptures. They were popping out as I was shooting.

2008-05-08_12-37-50.jpg

- 12:38PM: As we were watching the new arrivals, one shed its cocoon and proceeded to fly directly to Andrea Searle and landed on her. It decided to stay for a while after just trying its wings for the first time.

2008-05-08_12-38-24.jpg

- 12:39PM: We spent a minute calling Andrea the butterfly mom and then decided to urge the youngster to move on. He was a little uncooperative. We needed to find a substitute for Andrea's shirt before she left the exhibit with butterfly in tow. This large leaf seemed good enough and with some gentle prodding the yellow butterfly walked onto it. I forgot whose dirty finger that was.

2008-05-08_12-39-59.jpg

- 12:40PM: FM. Paul Norris (Palmnorris) had his close encounter with a persistent butterfly. He would not move on either. A few careful pokes by FM. Judy Norris (Queen of Bling) got him off in no time.

2008-05-08_12-40-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:40PM: "What in the world is that thing?" We were near the end of the Butterfly Exhibit when we were given a bonus viewing experience. This gigantic caterpillar was armed with spines and had a rear-end that resembled a face to camouflage its weaker end.

2008-05-08_12-40-19.jpg

- 12:41PM: We had to get a shot of that caterpillar as it crawled along the hand of CRT Guide Jonny. Some attendees were creeped out about the whole thing and they decided to walk away. FM. Paul Norris (Palmnorris) on the other hand, was getting it all on video. The baffled chain door behind them was the exit. It led to the outside and on to the monkey exhibit.

2008-05-08_12-41-18.jpg

- Donning his popular Palm Mountain nursery t-shirt, FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) offers some of his apple to a butterfly that had landed on his finger. People were mentioning food more and more as we got closer to One o'clock. We needed refueling. The day continued on and we were not even to the halfway point yet. Not as far as Bus #4 attendees were concerned.

2008-05-08_12-41-38.jpg

- 12:43PM: In between exhibits I noticed this impressive Bromeliad. The bloom was huge, about the size of a football and no one seemed to know the name of it. The area beneath the main plant had been recently cleared and someone was apparently looking for a pup.

2008-05-08_12-43-33.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:44PM: Welcome to Monkey Pass. There were two large habitats separated in the middle by a glass-lined viewing tunnel. We were outside again and the weather had improved slightly since when we started at the Gardens. It was still overcast but there was no precipitation.

2008-05-08_12-44-00.jpg

- The viewing tunnel gave visitors a great perspective of both habitats. We had already seen the two different species of monkeys in the wild earlier in the Biennial. They were more or less active in these habitats.

2008-05-08_12-44-09.jpg

- The habitat on the right side held a small group of Spider Monkeys, Ateles geoffroyi. This one was taking stretching to new heights and being very active.

2008-05-08_12-44-41.jpg

- This younger one was not so active. He seemed to be taking a midday nap.

2008-05-08_12-44-59.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:45PM: The left-side habitat of Monkey Pass was devoted to the White-faced Capuchin Monkey, Cebus capucinus, of which there were several spirited individuals. They ran the gamut of activities, from sleeping to high-speed swinging. A few of Bus #4 attendees, myself included, already had our close encounter with this species yesterday at the Arenal Hanging Bridges. I could say for certain, that viewing said animals at this distance without glass in between, made for an entirely different experience. That structure in behind the habitat is the Butterfly Exhibit.

2008-05-08_12-45-25.jpg

- A verbal message of sorts was passed down the line of attendees to where we were at. People up ahead had seen where we would be eating lunch, so they decided to let everyone else in the back of the pack know as well. We finished our way through the viewing tunnel and made a hard right turn. As we left the monkeys behind we entered another exhibit dedicated to hummingbirds. Just before leaving, we spotted this one Spider Monkey sitting in the corner of its habitat.

2008-05-08_12-45-53.jpg

- 12:46PM: The Hummingbird Exhibit was smaller than the others, but did not contain any less in the way of wildlife.

2008-05-08_12-47-47.jpg

- 12:47PM: The collection of hummingbirds was being well fed via several large feeders stationed around the exhibit. Even with a large camera in your hand, one could get very close to these hovering birds without scaring them away.

2008-05-08_12-46-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:49PM: Wherever we seemed to be along the main trail, a large group of tourists were never too far behind. Those who were photo minded had to be patient in order to capture the clear, attendee-filled images they wanted. In the center of the exhibit, FMs. Jeff Searle and Jim Glock (jglock1) examine a very showy hummingbird plant.

2008-05-08_12-49-09.jpg

- The plant was a large, sprawling shrub with huge clusters of dark red, trumpet-shaped flowers at the ends of long terminal branches. It was an eye-catcher for sure. We flung around names of various plant families, but we didn't know what it was.

Edit: FM. Darold Petty (Darold Petty) has been very helpful in identifying the plant below as a Bomarea species. Going from zero to genus is a huge step, and I am glad I am able to add one more name to the topic.

2008-05-08_12-48-47.jpg

- I managed to catch this hummingbird just as it was leaping off and entering flight. We could see where to go next, and with the promise of lunch, we didn't dawdle long.

2008-05-08_12-49-41.jpg

- 12:50PM: Exiting the Hummingbird Exhibit, we could see this large hexagonal structure stretching out before us. It was the Gardens Restaurant. What kind of park would it be without a consistent source of food for its patrons. The interior structure was made to resemble a massive tree that was holding up the roof of the restaurant.

2008-05-08_12-50-39.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 12:52PM: Group 2 gets food! Wearing our specifically colored wrist bands, attendees were able to bypass the entrance and registers of the restaurant and proceed directly to the buffet. One of the great advantages of attending a Biennial is that everything is taken care of in advance. Usually. We helped ourselves to platefuls of food and occupied the majority of the tables. There was no time limit or itinerary given for the Gardens, but my small group I was sitting with hurried through lunch in about a half hour. The next destination of the Wildlife Refuge was actually overlooked by many attendees, either by choice or by accident.

2008-05-08_12-52-02.jpg

- 1:21PM: "Snakes... Why did it have to be snakes." The Serpentarium bordered one side of the restaurant and it quickly filled with the small percentage of attendees brave enough to enter. The single room was divided into about thirty habitats, each containing one or two species of a Costa Rican snake, both venomous and non.

2008-05-08_13-21-30.jpg

- Speaking for myself, having a long time affinity for snakes, it did not take long to fall in love with this place. I chose a habitat I could get to at random and started to move about the room in a circle. First up was this Brown Vine Snake, Oxibelis aeneus and it really lives up to its name. His skin and body movement truly resembled a section of vine blowing in the wind. Specimens max out at around 5.5 ft (1.7m) and their bite is toxic and in addition, contains a harmful bacteria. In most cases the bite is not lethal to humans. It has an incredible range, being found from Southern Arizona in the United States, all the way south to Brazil.

2008-05-08_13-21-53.jpg

- 1:22PM: Many of the species were grouped together by genus and were often housed in the same habitat. Larger snakes obviously got the premiere accommodations. This is basically the green version of the snake above, Oxybelis fulgidus, the Green Vine Snake. It grows a little longer than the Brown Vine Snake, about 6.5 ft (2m) and has a slightly smaller range, but just as impressive.

2008-05-08_13-22-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:22PM: "Holy crap, they actually have one of those in here." I was both surprised and elated to see the following snake in one of the largest habitats within the Serpentarium. This specimen represents the ultimate in reptile tech. This is the dreaded Fer-de-Lance, Bothrops asper and it was respected by those who knew better. It is the most dangerous snake in Costa Rica and for most of Central America. It is responsible for about 10 fatalities a year, but with the government’s ever increasing measures to distribute anti-venom, this number will often be zero for a particular year.

The widespread and well-earned deadly reputation of this snake, stems from its extreme aggressiveness, unbelievably prolific nature, and one highly venomous bite. Describing him to attendees gave some goose bumps. The aggressive behavior this snake demonstrates is exasperated by its incredible agility, speed, and unpredictably. Of all snake bites in Costa Rica, the Fer-de-Lance is responsible for about 45% of them. When frightened or intimidated, they will often choose to run away but will sometimes change their mind after fleeing and will turn around to engage their attacker. They will raise their heads up and beat their tails on the ground to egg-on an attacker, kind of like saying, "Come and get me." They have great skill in evading melee attacks from humans and predatory animals. Those who raise birds and other animals in cages have reported an almost problem-solving ability in these snakes in order to get at caged prey.

Females, at 13.2 lbs (6kg) in weight, are one of the heaviest venomous snakes in the world. They give birth to as many as 90 live young in one litter at one time and juveniles quickly become just as deadly as their parents. Males are lighter and will reportedly max out at 6.2 feet (1.9m) while the females will stretch out to a max of 7.5 feet (2.3m). Their range extends from Mexico, all the way through Central America and south to Ecuador and Colombia. Their bite can contain a variable amount of a powerful hemotoxic venom, anywhere from zero to 'high-strength' for those special circumstances. In most cases, the snake will bite its prey and let the venom do all the work. The hemotoxin destroys red blood cells, disrupts blood clotting, causes internal organ shutdown and causes necrosis of muscle tissue. It also begins to break down proteins at the sight of the bite to aid in the impending digestion. The process is quite slow, and often human bite victims will experience no symptoms for several hours. I will spare you the details of what an untreated bite will do to a human, but it doesn't require a genius to know it is something you want to avoid. To add insult to injury, a snake will sometimes shoot venom at its target from up to six feet away.

At each Biennial location, we were warned repeatedly about snakes. Encountering a Fer-de-Lance was possible at every place we visited during the week. The guides were reluctant to go into details about finding one of these particular snakes in person. I think it was due to their training, not to scare their customers to death. Knowing all this, I couldn't help but to stand here and stare through the glass. Her head would not move, but her eyes seemed to follow you as you paced back and forth. She seemed to be biding her time well, waiting patiently for that one slip of a finger.

2008-05-08_13-22-35.jpg

- 1:24PM: There was more than enough venom to go around. The next habitat over contained a shy Neotropical Rattlesnake, Crotalus simus. I was not able to get a shot of his head at this point, but I was able to see his business rattle.

2008-05-08_13-24-13.jpg

- Cope's Vine Snake, Oxybelis brevirostris continued the parade of vine snakes that kept the attention of those wishing to avoid the venomous ones. This species has a unique threat display. When bothered, it will often open its mouth very wide, making its head look like that of a much larger snake.

2008-05-08_13-24-28.jpg

- 1:25PM: In one corner of the exhibit, a group of habitats were dedicated to the smaller Pit Vipers that inhabit Costa Rica. There were different color forms of several species present, so it made sorting them out a bit challenging. They would often place the different varieties within the same habitat. A Rain Forest Hognosed Pitviper, Porthidium nasutum curls himself into the size of a grapefruit in one of the habitats.

2008-05-08_13-25-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:26PM: A Picado's Jumping Pitviper, Atropoides picadoi.

2008-05-08_13-26-23.jpg

- 1:27PM: There are a few different common names for Atropoides mexicanus, but the most used one I found was Central American Jumping Pitviper.

2008-05-08_13-27-05.jpg

- They could easily fill each habitat with a different color variation of Bus #4's friend the Eyelash Palm Pitviper, Bothriechis schlegelii. This species can be found in any number of patterns and color combinations. This one habitat had three different color forms within; this one seeming to match the one specimen those of us on Bus #4 saw in Braulio Carrillo National Park.

2008-05-08_13-27-37.jpg

- 1:28PM: Same species, different colors. The third variety was towards the back of the habitat and I was unable to get a shot of it. That one had an even darker palette than this specimen.

2008-05-08_13-28-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:29PM: When no one was looking, I took out one of my lens wipes and cleaned the glass in front of the Brown Vine Snake habitat, where I started the tour. I wanted to get a shot of a snake 'almost' biting someone and this is what I captured, thanks to the participation of Jeff Searle. Someone mentioned the time at being near one-thirty, so those of us in the Serpentarium, knew we should work our way over to the next section of the Gardens.

2008-05-08_13-29-08.jpg

- I was on my way out the door, when I walked past the other side of the habitat containing the Neotropical Rattlesnake, Crotalus simus. I took this shot featuring his other half. He seemed to not bother making his pattern until about a foot down from his head, or got caught on something and was stretched out too much.

2008-05-08_13-29-43.jpg

- 1:30PM: I added another photo of the Fer-de-Lance, Bothrops asper for two reasons. First, to state my point of how everyone should respect a snake, no matter its disposition or danger and secondly because I wanted to.

2008-05-08_13-30-51.jpg

- 1:31PM: The last snake I saw in the exhibit was also the largest one, residing in the most impressive of habitats next to the exit. This is of course, everyone's favorite squeeze machine, a Boa constrictor, Boa constrictor. There were a few brave souls who entered the Serpentarium who had no problem until they got to seeing this guy up close. The common name and binomial name are identical, so that is not a typo.

2008-05-08_13-31-13.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:32PM: The first part of the Gardens, the Wildlife Refuge, was divided into two parts, an upper half and a lower half. We were now leaving the larger, upper half and venturing further down the mountain into the lower half and on towards the waterfalls. The area up ahead featured Orchid displays, including an Orchid House.

2008-05-08_13-32-01.jpg

- 1:33PM: The main trail continued to zigzag through the landscape and down the mountain between exhibits. The end of the Wildlife Refuge was within sight. The trail turned to the right and entered the Orchid House, that covered structure at the edge of the photo. Afterwards, it made an abrupt turn to the left and went through that arched, poly-covered building in the distance, the Frog Exhibit. People became excited as we could begin to hear the sounds of intense waterfalls in the distance and they sounded massive. FM. Jeff Searle became bored with walking and decided to do an impromptu cartwheel in the middle of the trail.

2008-05-08_13-33-25.jpg

- 1:34PM: The Orchid House was filled with, well Orchids and many other potted plants. They did not have many blooming plants except this one specimen.

2008-05-08_13-34-10.jpg

- When we passed the Orchid House, the trail got narrow and was bordered on both sides by a great selection of Heliconia species and close relatives. A good guess for this one was Heliconia clinophila.

2008-05-08_13-34-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:35PM: This short stretch of trail held some botanical surprises including this unusual Heliconia. The bloom was very flat and stumped all the enthusiasts that I could grab a hold of to try and identify it. I did not see a photo of it exactly as it looks here. The tinge of red in the bract tips was throwing everyone off. Continuing to use the Berry & Kress book, I figured it could be a cultivar of the species Heliconia librata.

2008-05-08_13-35-11.jpg

- This attractive Costus sp. (?) was buried under all the Heliconia leaves and was almost overlooked by me. The tulip-like bloom was very large for a Costus, almost the size of a baseball and resembled plastic. The leaves under the bloom, on the same stem, were much smaller than the others throughout the rest of the plant. The entire shrub shouted landscape potential.

2008-05-08_13-35-33.jpg

- 1:37PM: A bloom that could sell a thousand rhizomes. When attendees walked past this fuzz-covered, pendant Heliconia bloom they let out a collective <sigh>. No one knew what the name was, or even had a clue to what it could be related to. I was wishing they had a garden shop with a rooted rhizome, taken off of this plant, growing in a pot for sale.

2008-05-08_13-37-05.jpg

- 1:38PM: <Fwwap!> FM. Jeff Searle just got smacked in the head by that ox's tail. We all remembered the oxcart from this morning, so when we saw this photo opportunity before us, some could not wait to pose. Without hesitation, Jeff went first and stood near the hind quarters of this temperamental beast of burden. He was looking towards Andrea, who was going to take his photo, when he placed his hand or arm on the ox's rear end causing it to say "No, bad touch" by swatting him with its tail. This miniature farm formed the turn in the trail, that guided visitors to that path in the background. It went down and around and led to the Frog Exhibit.

2008-05-08_13-38-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:38PM: Jeff & Andrea Searle get on the oxcart... literally and later metaphorically. Attendees formed a short line to pose on the oxcart for me and for others. The remaining members of Group 2 continue on down the trail behind them to the next exhibit to play with the frogs.

2008-05-08_13-38-47.jpg

- 1:39PM: In the two Biennials I have attended, there were a dependable group of attendees that you could always call upon for volunteering in photos. If they weren't the one who thought of the photo in the first place. Forum member Jayanne Crawley (La Lady) could not wait to get on the cart and she will often think of some great photos to take.

2008-05-08_13-39-04.jpg

- 1:41PM: The Frog Exhibit was divided into many different habitats, large and small, including ones where we could walk through and meet the different species face to face. The first area was very humid and contained numerous Bromeliads and large leaf plants all tucked together. The exhibits contained enough specimens, but you still needed help from a park guide wielding a flashlight. Many were hiding in the cups of Bromeliads or within a leaf sheath, like this Blue Jeans Poison Frog, Dendrobates pumilio var. "Blue Jeans".

2008-05-08_13-41-57.jpg

- 1:42PM: The same species above is found in a wide assortment of color variations, from light to dark. The more common one encountered in the exhibit was the standard Red variety, or the Strawberry Poison Frog, Dendrobates pumilio.

2008-05-08_13-42-26.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:42PM: We shared our tour through the Frog Exhibit with numerous tourists. At times it was shoulder to shoulder and involved a lot of walking sideways. We left the first section and entered an even smaller hallway lined on both sides with terrariums. Because of the close-quarters, I was only able to view those habitats that were on the right side. The first glass box I peered into contained a community of Green Poison Dart Frogs, Dendrobates auratus.

2008-05-08_13-42-35.jpg

- 1:43PM: They were mostly the same color, except for a few variations. I tried to count them all but with the nudging and movement I gave up. There was someone in my vicinity, I forgot who (even though I believe it was Jayanne Crawley), who first spotted this group in the back of the terrarium. They took one look at the frogs and the scene reminded them of the three wise monkeys, "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".

2008-05-08_13-43-07.jpg

- 1:46PM: We pushed through a doorway made of heavy plastic slabs and entered another open habitat filled with a mix of different species. This is where things began to get a little abrasive between myself an a few of the nearby tourists. I was minding my own camera, taking photos as always, when I reached the center of the exhibit. I went to photograph this Red-Eyed Tree Frog, Agalychnis callidryas, when I had my right arm pulled to the point of interrupting the shot. A French tourist had decided to stop me from shooting, and she kept trying to say "no flash" and pointed to the frogs. A park guide was there and she kept looking at him and waving her hands, so he took her side and said no to using a flash. I reluctantly turned the small on-board flash off and continued shooting the best I could. For the record, I was only using the small flash and not my larger flash unit. I knew that reptiles will often react to strong flashes and strobes, but never have I read anywhere of a case where a camera flash at any strength did harm to reptiles' eyes. I have seen hundreds of great frog photos shot by herpetologists using flashes.

2008-05-08_13-46-08.jpg

- I was looking for ways to steady my shot now, sans flash. I was kneeling against a large rock and held my breathe for about a minute to capture this Masked Puddle Frog, Smilisca phaeota in camouflage mode. The tourist had moved on with her group and the exhibit got roomier and easier to breathe in, but the guide still said "No" to using a flash. I had to select the more well-lit shots, and with the cloud cover and polycarbonate roof, it was slim pickings. I was finishing up in this habitat, when I could hear a commotion and loud laughing coming from the next area, the end of the Frog Exhibit.

2008-05-08_13-46-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Wildlife Refuge -> Waterfall Trail

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:47PM: I followed the trail through the remainder of the Frog Exhibit, slowly getting closer to the disturbing sounding laughter coming from outside. As I and other attendees reached the last door leading outside (wood-framed glass door), we unwittingly became the source of amusement for this group of easily-amused French tourists. The door was of strange design. It looked as if it swung open, but was instead a pocket door, and slid to our left as it opened. As a result, everyone thought you had to push the door open and when people tried it made a loud banging sound; causing the would-be opener to act surprised which in turn drove the French tourists crazy. They had set up camp here. They were waiting a long while to laugh at people having trouble with the door. We were not the first, and certainly were not going to be the last, considering the amount of joy they were getting from the experience.

2008-05-08_13-47-53.jpg

- 1:50PM: We had reached the end of the Wildlife Refuge and begun a considerable descent down the mountain side. The trail continued down several sections of turf block pathways and staircases, while we could hear the impending roar of the first of four major waterfalls. The landscaping of plants ended and was quickly replaced with natural plant surroundings. We did manage to spot a few palms here and there, including this juvenile Pholidostachys pulchra.

2008-05-08_13-50-18.jpg

- Not only could Andrea & FM. Jeff Searle and myself hear the waterfall, but as we got closer I began to feel the low-frequency vibration being transmitted through the ground. It was a strange feeling, like being near railroad tracks as a train was approaching. These stairs followed along side a turn in the La Paz river that led to the beginning of the waterfalls.

2008-05-08_13-50-51.jpg

- 1:53PM: The trail continued down and around and would soon catch up to that bridge. The bulk of Group 2 attendees were ahead of us and further down the trail. That bridge not only allowed people to cross the river, but also gave them a great view of the first waterfall, El Templo. The person standing on the bridge is FM. and IPS Director Lyle Arnold (Lyle Arnold).

2008-05-08_13-53-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

• 3 weeks later...

La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Waterfall Trail

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 1:57PM: There were a few plants of interest along the trail leading down, so when attendees stopped to look at them I managed to get ahead of the group. When I turned to look back up at them coming down, I got the idea for this group shot along the railing. I liked how it came out, and it was one of few instances where I actually told people where to stand for a photo. From left to right: FM. Larry Davis (Lefty), LeAnn Holmes, FM. Judy Norris (Queen of Bling), FM. Paul Norris (Palmnorris), Barry Lang, FM. Jayanne Crawley (La Lady), Andrea Searle, FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms), & FM. Jeff Searle.

2008-05-08_13-57-45.jpg

- 1:58PM: With one sharp turn after another we arrived at the base of the first waterfall, El Templo. Before we could even see it, we were getting heavily misted by it. The trail split off in different directions. While many decided to venture away from the waterfall, myself along with the group I was with, went towards it.

2008-05-08_13-58-58.jpg

- 1:59PM: I walked along the soaked walkway down to the upfront viewing area to get the full effect of the El Templo Waterfall. It was simply amazing. I had not seen many water features of this size before, so I was enjoying every minute of it.

2008-05-08_13-59-30.jpg

- The sound of the water splashing below was almost deafening. I was looking around for anyone willing to jump in for a swim. Bill Sanford said no.

2008-05-08_13-59-35.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:00PM: That is literally tons of water moving per second. It is mind boggling just trying to get a grasp of the power involved. I left the upfront viewing area on the left and backtracked along the walkway to cross the bridge to get the entire 85 feet (26m) of the El Templo Waterfall in the viewfinder.

2008-05-08_14-00-10.jpg

- I zoomed in on the group to find them all taking turns posing with the curtain of moving water. I managed to get their attention with hand signals to try and get them into a group shot. Bill Sanford wanted to make sure I saw him. I eventually got them in a group pose next to the waterfall and the end result was the photo I posted in the Prologue.

2008-05-08_14-00-43.jpg

- 2:01PM: The scenery and imagery were priceless. The experience held the iconic 'tropical wilderness' feel we would normally only read about in books. I could not imagine what it would have been like to be the first to have discovered this location. We found out afterward that all this land is private, and this was once the owner's own backyard.

2008-05-08_14-01-39.jpg

- 2:03PM: Serious picture time. The bridge gave everyone their perfect few of the giant cataract.

2008-05-08_14-03-19.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:03PM: This one spot across the bridge was built for photo opportunities, either for taking them of the waterfall or getting your photo taken with it. I went through every attendee and couple I could still see to get them to pose in this perfect spot. Jeff & Andrea Searle and Paul & Judy Norris didn't mind.

2008-05-08_14-03-45.jpg

- 2:04PM: I couldn't get everyone's photo and not get one of me, of course.

2008-05-08_14-04-31.jpg

- 2:05PM: "Tah dah!"

2008-05-08_14-05-40.jpg

- 2:07PM: The trail continued to follow the river for a short distance until it met another bridge which crossed back over to the other side. The river led immediately to the next waterfall, Magia Blanca, where the water began to pick up speed.

2008-05-08_14-07-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:07PM: I turned around from taking the photo above and got this shot looking upstream. This is one of those classic picturesque views you see turned into a screen saver or a jigsaw puzzle, maybe. Now, if I could only get this in my backyard...

2008-05-08_14-07-33.jpg

- 2:08PM: "Hey Paul and Judy, stop right there." <click> "I got it." This is the usual procedure I used to photograph poses during the Biennial. It doesn't work all the time.

2008-05-08_14-08-05.jpg

- The trail continued from the bridge [off on my left] and entered the forest [behind me]. It went on to weave back and forth with a few sets of stairs. We reached this point which acted as a overlook of the Magia Blanca Waterfall which began directly beneath us. The trail then took a short turn to the right, then dove down very quickly to the bottom of the waterfall.

2008-05-08_14-08-31.jpg

- 2:09PM: It would not have been such a perfect Biennial for me, or for others, if it wasn't for the fact that I was able to see again, and meet for the first time, so many great people and Forum members from California and Hawaii. The two years between Biennials is a long time. FM. Jerry Andersen (jdapalms) and his wife Cindy (two such great people) stand at attention as the waterfall sends up a heavy mist, and a sturdy roar behind them.

2008-05-08_14-09-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:09PM: The water ride starts here. When we were standing on the small platform, we had a bird's-eye view of the top of the Magia Blanca Waterfall. The photos do not do any of the waterfalls justice. The water was moving fast and making thunder as it moved through the air and crashed into the river below.

2008-05-08_14-09-25.jpg

- 2:10PM: The trail plummeted, literally. I was surprised at the scale in which the stairs descended down the side of the mountain. One third of the way down, the trail splintered off into a walkway that led underneath the waterfall.

2008-05-08_14-10-22.jpg

- 2:12PM: It was so loud at this point we had to scream at each other from a few inches away just to communicate. The super-slippery walkway led to this point under the waterfall where photos were mandatory. Andrea & Jeff Searle were the first to volunteer.

2008-05-08_14-12-18.jpg

- 2:13PM: A photo with the ladies under the 'falls... I nervously handed my camera off to Jeff, while I got next to Andrea, Judy and LeAnn. With no instruction possible on my behalf, Jeff took a great photo.

2008-05-08_14-13-49.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:14PM: I got as close as I could under the Magia Blanca Waterfall, to capture this photo. The incredible sound that was made became amplified as it echoed off the wall to the left. I reached out with my hand to feel the water coming down and to my surprise it began to hurt. The sheer weight of the water falling made it feel like concrete.

2008-05-08_14-14-23.jpg

- 2:15PM: We followed the trail as it continued to trace along the edge of the mountain. The intense pressure of the river above pushing water over the falls created numerous cataracts. The water gurgled and flowed out of cracks and crevices as far as 30 feet (10m) away from the main waterfall.

2008-05-08_14-15-34.jpg

- One such cataract flowed right underneath this Chamaedorea tepejilote. Its aerial roots seemed to have no problem supporting it above the water.

2008-05-08_14-15-56.jpg

- The bright orange inflorescences were a nice contrast to the darker surroundings.

2008-05-08_14-15-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:16PM: The weather was temperate and perfect for a stroll down a mountain side. Not to mention ideal when mixed with the constant humidity ejected into the air by the waterfalls. This trail was a pleasure to follow. We continued on a downward slant towards the level of the river as it left the falls. We knew we had another great observation point to come.

2008-05-08_14-16-35.jpg

- 2:18PM: "Oh wow..." Slightly larger than the first waterfall, Magia Blanca was the most common and most often photographed of the series. Photos and videos seen on the web featuring Costa Rican adventures and tourism will most likely contain a scene with this grandiose waterfall.

2008-05-08_14-18-43.jpg

- 2:21PM: The forward deck was being pounded by wind and water but it didn't stop Bus #4 attendees from getting closer. If you look to the left of the falls, about a third of the way down, you will see someone standing at the walkway that led behind the waterfall.

2008-05-08_14-21-37.jpg

- 2:22PM: Back up near the trail, an observation deck gave everyone the same view above. The guide stationed here gave all of us an optical illusion to look at. When we would stare at the water coming down for a minute for so, then immediately looked at the rock wall to the right, it would look as if the rocks are 'waving'. Spooky, and impossible to capture with a camera.

2008-05-08_14-22-49.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:23PM: The forward lookout platform was just too inviting. I braved the slippery stairs and joined FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) on the deck where he promptly posed with the Magia Blanca Waterfall. I had to keep wiping the spray off the lens and otherwise try to keep the rest of the camera dry as I shot. Feeling the rush of wind and mist was invigorating. If you ever plan a trip to Costa Rica, you must set aside a good portion of a day to visit this remarkable place.

2008-05-08_14-23-48.jpg

- 2:25PM: Time was becoming a factor so we began to 'up' the pace. We came to the first point of decision along the trail. The fork to the left continued down to the next group of waterfalls, while the right fork went up and over to the end of the trail. The trip down came to an end and everyone would have to come back up to this point eventually to continue to the exit. Some chose an early end to the trail, while most wanted to see everything there was.

2008-05-08_14-25-40.jpg

- "Hello, what did you all see down there, any palms?" As we descended to the next point of interest down the stairs, we passed several members of Bus #3 that were heading back up.

2008-05-08_14-25-50.jpg

- 2:26PM: The passing of attendees continued as we got closer to the that observation point on the left. Many attendees we passed said that the trip down was worth the trip back up. We would soon find out if that statement is true.

2008-05-08_14-26-31.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Group 2, Buses #3 & #4

- 2:29PM: I couldn't tell at first what FM. Paul Norris (Palmnorris) was doing from a distance, but when I zoomed in to photograph he made this motion. He was recording video of a section of the river while 'trying' to capture the sounds that were being made. With the constant clanging of the metal walkways and stairs it made it almost impossible to do so. He did manage to get a couple minutes of uninterrupted recordings of the river, along with several more of attendees pounding the stairs, making strange comments and giving their own narration.

2008-05-08_14-29-09.jpg

- This is the view that Paul was trying to capture on video with a minimum of noise pollution. This section of the river between the Magia Blanca Waterfall in the distance and the Encantada Waterfall behind me, was one of the more serene spots seen in the Gardens. The sound the water made coming over those rocks was soothing and I could hear why Paul was trying to capture it. That area at the end of the rocks made the clear water look sapphire blue.

2008-05-08_14-29-42.jpg

- 2:30PM: Directly under this spot was the beginning of the Encantada Waterfall, which was one of the smallest of the series. The river got very narrow as it plunged over into the pool below.

2008-05-08_14-30-58.jpg

- 2:31PM: Standing in the same location, I got a nice view down river. The bottom of the Encantada Waterfall can be seen in the lower left, along with the pool it empties into. The river quickly leaves the pool below and becomes the La Paz Waterfall which empties into the river as it passes under that bridge.

2008-05-08_14-31-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida