IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A very wet start to winter in the tropics ..

aussiearoids

Oh well the 1 week drought had to end sooner or later .. been pouring all day .

Had several heavy showers down the beach yesterday , so the Monster market was a bit of a wash out .

I was a man on a mission and donned raincoat and gumboots as I had some very exotic fruit trees to pick up .

Really hope it does not get to cold this winter , don't want recent plantings freezing to death , BRRRRR it is a cool 22C at the moment ... I may have to put on a jacket . yeh yeh , I know what a softie , but once you are completely 'troppo' I think your blood turns to a thick treacle like substance and needs high temps or RUM to circulate properly.

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, What's it been getting down too at night?

We had 22C and rain yesterday. Today is 23C and fine, and tomorrow 26C and fine. But I do know what you mean, 22C although "pleasant" to us southerners is actually too cold for us tropical growers. You still need to wear a jumper when it's 22C and you're in the shade. At least I do. Maybe I should move to the tropics. Night temps have the final say though. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What's your weather prediction for this weekend Michael, in the vicinity of Cairns to be precise ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hhmm... have to be specific, Michael.... can't say 'tropics' as we are still in the tropics and WE HAVE NO RAIN!!!!! Blue sky, blue sky, blue sky.... dry wind, dry wind, dry wind!! I miss the rain already. We won't see it until at least October/November :rage:

The night temperature is below 15 deg these days. I stopped watering during the night ages ago. Don't want my tropical stuff freeze to death.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, we could only water at night 3 months of the year if we waited for the night temps to be above 15C before we watered. My cutoff temp is 11 or 12C as an average for a given period before I think it's possibly harmful watering at night. Generally by the time we've got down to these temps at night we get reliable rainfall anyway. So I suppose my garden gets water all year round, but with a marked increase in the warmer months. I never get cool weather rotting problems, possibly because I'm on sand. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

My garden looks rather ratty at the moment because of the dry wind. The change was too sudden (as normal year every year), so some plants just had a bit of shock. I guess it is not so much the cold, but the dry wind. I probably overeacting about watering at night. It never gets that cold :rolleyes: . The only time we get rot is in the middle of monsoon, when we have rain for 3 weeks non stop.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What's your weather prediction for this weekend Michael, in the vicinity of Cairns to be precise ?

Hi Wal,

Today it's being wet, High for Cairns today was a mere 23.8 C, at nights we've had it down to

well, last night wasn't to bad it got to 18C, and thats thanks to cloud cover. We're meant to be

getting showers during the week and possiblity of fine for the weekend (Don't hold you breath)

it was to be fine the weekend just passed but we need rain thats for sure.

(last week the low was) 16.8, Hey Dude what day do you guys get into Cairns I'm not made

of sugar :floor: Just gotta watch me nuts & bolts don't rust :wacko: so we can go to the Gardens

I'll show you guys around there if your keen give me a call Dude.

Cheers Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Only a 50 % chance of rain for Sat , and then a slight chance on Sun .. Hope it fines up for your visit Wal .. If Mikey is up for it we can take turns pushing him around Flecker ..hahaha . My Mum visited in early June last year , she was here for 10 days and it rained on 9 of them . Though this is not normal ,, fingers crossed for perfect weather . I don't want to play 'were's wal' with raindrops on my glasses .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It's 27C and sunny here in Perth tomorrow, although it's down too a cool 10C tonight. Today got to 25C, so it wasn't too bad. The coconut has come out of it's bit of dormancy. At least for the next week we're having mins no lower than 11 or 12C and days no lower than 20C with a lot of rain coming. Not bad for a week out of winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

My garden looks rather ratty at the moment because of the dry wind. The change was too sudden (as normal year every year), so some plants just had a bit of shock. I guess it is not so much the cold, but the dry wind. I probably overeacting about watering at night. It never gets that cold :rolleyes: . The only time we get rot is in the middle of monsoon, when we have rain for 3 weeks non stop.

Tell Scott that you need to surround your property in a continuous windbreak of Dendrocalamus gigantuous, and Dendrocalamus brandisii to keep the wind out, and then just in from the bamboo, another wall of Cyrtostachys renda, with water features everywhere. :drool:

Man, I wish I had a big property in Darwin. I'd be dangerous. :rolleyes:

Best regards

Tyrone

We are dangerous... Why do you think we never have any money??? BTW, we have bamboos on 2 sides of our property.. (our property has 5 sides). One side has natural vegetation. I can see it will be cleared once we run out of room, and the front has palms mostly, and the long side has rainforest trees...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Do you have any ponds or bodies of water on your property?

Best regards

Tyrone

Of course... that is the first thing Scott spent our money on after the house finished... We have 400sqm dam, but it is not sealed yet. We are planning to seal with bentonite before the next wet. We thought the natural clay will seal it, so we didn't bother last year... but we have the wrong type of clay, which is good for the plants, but not so good for sealing the dam. So, now I am waiting till the bomb drops until Scott tells me how much it is going to cost us AGAIN.

I posted a photo of it in the waterlillies thread, if you want to have a look.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Long range forecast is in from the BOM. Winter in the SW is going to be warmer than average both day and night, and also drier than average. The probablility is 65-70% for the above outcomes. It's good for palms and tropical plants, but not good for the dams.

I'll have a look at the water lilly thread Ari. :)

Best regards

Tyrone