IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I HATE CANADIAN AIR MASSES!!!

BobbyinNY

Bobby....I can see what a pain this might be for the truely tropical stuff, Coccos for instance and all your stuff in pots, but for all of the stuff you will have in the ground, like Trachys, these early fronts are where they just stretch their legs and keep growing...and, unlike in MD where we would have a roller coaster most of the winter which can be the KOD! (kiss o' death!!!) for hardy palms, in your neck of the woods the established palms will start to acclimate before the really cold stuff sets in.

That being said, i can see the showers coming in off the Gulf, which means the front cant be far behind....darn, I like it better when cool fronts gag at Cedar Key.

Shoot, the air you can wear season might be drawing to a close.....sigh.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ Sep. 19 2006,18:19)

That being said, i can see the showers coming in off the Gulf, which means the front cant be far behind....

Rusty-

I have logged over 8" (almost 9") of rain in the past two days!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I have logged over 8" (almost 9") of rain in the past two days!

Larry,  that's the time to plant some Nypa fruticans!

Naw, it'll start getting dry in another month or so, time to hedge the bets with Nannorrhops or Brahea.

This isnt the end of summer, but it's a darned prominent speed bump, huh?

Rusty Bell

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ Sep. 20 2006,07:43)

This isnt the end of summer, but it's a darned prominent speed bump, huh?

Looks like it Rusty (if these low temps that are forecast come true ).   It appears that many areas will drop into the 60's for the first time in quite a while.

But, by the weekend the temp and humidity are supposed to return to more seasonal levels.

Larry 

I have gotten about 8 or 9 inches of rain here too.  When I flush the terlet my septic tank flushes back.  Should be caught up if it stops raining for a little while.  I have had rain everyday for at least the last week, if not more.

That front may have petered out some, probably why this "front" type weather system has hung around so long.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

But, by the weekend the temp and humidity are supposed to return to more seasonal levels.

That front may have petered out some, probably why this "front" type weather system has hung around so long.

Yippee!

....hope you guys get to dry out some.

Rusty Bell

The front is here!

Take a peek at this screen capture from my weather station.....the dewpoint has taken a massive nosedive!

thefrontishere.jpg

Larry 

Took out the trash a few minutes ago and got the chills!! Wore a sweatshirt today (Go Bucs!!) for the first time since March..but, mainly because it was raining and my highschool is freaking outside! Didn't feel cold until about an hour ago. Crazy! Then..Saturday, we're back up 91. Joy, joy.

Definitely the coolest ngiht in a good long time.

At 8PM its 77F with a 58F dewpoint!

thefrontishere2.jpg

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Sep. 20 2006,17:41)

The front is here!

Take a peek at this screen capture from my weather station.....the dewpoint has taken a massive nosedive!

What kind of weather station do you have?

I have one - haven't really used it except for the thermom, and it isn't connected to the computer cuz I can't find the driver-whatever.

The problem with mine was, it wasn't reading windspeeds right.  During Jeanne, we had 70+ mph and the readout showed..... cough, cough...... 6mph.  Very rarely did it ever pick up the wind.  Couldn't figure out the directions, although both of us went over and over them.

The barometer readings, when I could bring them up, didn't agree with the analog barom I set to the NOAA readings.

I got sick of tripping over the stupid wire in the yard and put it away somewhere.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Alan_Tampa @ Sep. 20 2006,11:11)

I have gotten about 8 or 9 inches of rain here too.  

Wow.  We've had plenty too, but I don't have my gauge up so I don't know how much.

And..........

My "dwarf" R. rivularis is........

.......trunking!  - only a couple of inches, but that still counts  :D

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Sep. 20 2006,20:46)

What kind of weather station do you have?

Its just an Oregon Scientific unit (model WM-918).  But, it gets all the desired info (temp/humidity/wind speed/wind direction/rainfall, baro pressure, etc).  The software I use is called FreeWx (its actually freeware).  It works great.

I initially wanted a Davis Vantage Pro, and although they are excellent systems, man are they expensive!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Sep. 15 2006,20:47)

(syersj @ Sep. 15 2006,14:34)

You guys usually start dropping into the 60s late Sept. correct.  

Less than 70F came early this year  :(

Last night every major station around Tampa Bay dropped below 70F, with the exception of Albert Whitted (downtown St. Pete - 73.0F) and the USF Marine station in Fred Howard Park (on the Gulf in Tarpon Springs - 71.0F).  But, both of these stations are "cheaters" and have too much water around them :D  

Most of northern/central Pinellas (non coastal areas)were in the middle 60's.  There were some low 60's in inland sections of Tampa north of town.

Larry 

Didn't drop below 72 in my neck of the woods.. 91 out right now and it's past 5! They call this a cold front?! We usually are generally warmer than forcasted for downtown/airport.

Got down to 64.9 here last night according to my Walmart special digital thermometer...It was forcast by the NWS to be 70 here last night. I guess I may be in a cold spot. I bet it gets even colder here tonight!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Sep. 21 2006,18:42)

Got down to 64.9 here last night according to my Walmart special digital thermometer...It was forcast by the NWS to be 70 here last night. I guess I may be in a cold spot. I bet it gets even colder here tonight!

Bill - Same here....64.8F and I was forecast for 69F!

Larry 

(SoLando @ Sep. 21 2006,17:11)

Didn't drop below 72 in my neck of the woods.. 91 out right now and it's past 5! They call this a cold front?! We usually are generally warmer than forcasted for downtown/airport.

Check the humidity level out......it might have been around 90F, but it sure didnt feel like it today.   It was in the upper 80's when I left work and I drove home without the A/C on!

And...no offense, but everyone is "always warmer than forecast"....hehehehhe.

The proof is in the pudding!  And..the "pudding" is a street lined with mature palms that are something other than Queens :D

You must forgive me.....I couldnt resist the dig (not on you, but Orlando).  Ever since those new maps came out a little while back that had some parts of Orlando zoned the same as Miami (which is completely ridiculous), theres been alot of "smack" flying around, but few pictures of local foliage to back up the rating :D

Larry 

The Florida Automated Weather Network's official low at Avalon (west Orlando) recorded a low of 63.7 degrees F at 5:45 this A.M.

The Sebring FAWN recorded an official low of 65.44 degrees F 7:30 A.M.

Both of the above weather stations are in outlying areas where it almost invariably runs colder.

Larry: I've always maintained that if an area (in Florida) is rated a true zone 10, then one would certainly find a street in the old part of town lined with royals (like the ones you posted in Bradenton et al coastal towns near the Gulf).

I have a 1925 photo of the the Sebring Pier on Lake Jackson. There are lots of trunked royal palms and coconut palms. Also, the historic circle in Sebring had royal palms planted in it (I have photos of them). However, they are all gone now, no doubt sucumbing to freezes during the last 75 years plus. There are some trunked and fruiting coconut palms growing at the new Sebring pier as well as coconut palms, royal palms, etc.,  in residential yards surrounding Lake Jackson.

Mad about palms

(Walt @ Sep. 21 2006,21:45)

Larry: I've always maintained that if an area (in Florida) is rated a true zone 10, then one would certainly find a street in the old part of town lined with royals (like the ones you posted in Bradenton et al coastal towns near the Gulf).

You mean like this Walt?

royals-street.jpg

Larry 

Larry: According to the new USDA map, Orlando and Clewiston are both zone 10. Here's a photo of some royal palms in Clewiston. I've been all through Orlando and I have yet to see a residential neighborhood looking like this one:

465327747nMqPOj_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Or how about this photo. Note the tall cocos nucifera at extreme right:

465325256wLBFHX_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Or this photo:

465338406EDvXQm_th.jpg

by waltcat100

No, the proof of the pudding are these palms. They are the definers of zone ratings.

Mad about palms

(Walt @ Sep. 21 2006,22:17)

I've been all through Orlando and I have yet to see a residential neighborhood looking like this one:

Walt-

I guess you missed the "Carribbean" section of Epcot!

Larry 

(Walt @ Sep. 21 2006,22:17)

No, the proof of the pudding are these palms. They are the definers of zone ratings.

Those palms certainly speak volumes Walt.

They also have me thinking that I need more propane heaters :D

And...how the heck am I going to palm sock a 50 ft Royal?

Larry 

Larry: The last time I checked (LOL) the theme parks in Orlando weren't the old part of town! New coconuts and royals hauled up to Orlando theme parks don't count. Heck, if one gets freeze damaged they just yank it out and plant another one.

Mad about palms

Well, Guys...

this was the coldest morning yet. I had 2 gauges in my backyard - Official low at 6:30am this morning was 43f...  I covered almost everything last night, and put a bunch of fans on to keep the leaves moving to protect from a possible frost (which we didn't get)... This is what it should be for a low at the end of Oct/ beginning Nov.. NOT Sept.. This year sucks.....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

That is cold Bobby, in fact according to weather.com that matches your record low for 09/21 which was set in 1956.  Since we had that night in August that dipped to the same temperature the nights have been warmer.  It only went down to 16°C/61°F here last night, not far behind central Florida, although we won't be matching anyone's daytime temperatures.  We have been getting a lot of wind and rain, which is supposedly a knock on effect from hurricane Gordon.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

That is cold Bobby, in fact according to weather.com that matches your record low for 09/21 which was set in 1956.  Since we had that night in August that dipped to the same temperature the nights have been warmer.  It only went down to 16°C/61°F here last night, not far behind central Florida, although we won't be matching anyone's daytime temperatures.  We have been getting a lot of wind and rain, which is supposedly a knock on effect from hurricane Gordon.

Corey,

this was all due to a canadian cold front that dipped down as far as central FL... A very rare blast...  Last nights low was more indicative of Late Oct or Early Nov.. but starting tonight, we're back to normal with daytime temps in the mid-high 70'sf and nights in the low 60's...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Sep. 22 2006,11:40)

this was all due to a canadian cold front that dipped down as far as central FL...

Yes...things bounced back to normal last night.  The dewpoints/temps zoomed right back up to what is expected this time of year.

Image1.jpg

I actually liked that little cool blast and look forward to a few more.

Notice I said cool blast...not cold!

Larry 

(SoLando @ Sep. 21 2006,17:11)

I haven't got a clue how cool it got here.  The inside of my lil house was too hot and had to run the A/C all night.  But that doesn't mean much - this house is incredibly insulated.

All I know is that this front seemed just like our traditional mid-October first-cold-front-of- the- season, with lots of rain piling up in advance of it.  And just like the mid-Oct. fronts, it gave me a bonecrusher migraine.  Just recovering from it now, ugh.

It's getting darker earlier too.  Hate seeing the days get shorter, even if the temps are nicer.

St. Pete

It's getting darker earlier too.  Hate seeing the days get shorter, even if the temps are nicer

I agree, Sunny.... Those reduced daylight hours are very depressing - but not half as depressing as the end of October, when the clocks get turned back and it starts getting dark before you even get out of work - now THAT'S depressing.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

That's one of the things I like about working nights, I still get to see daylight.  September 26th is the first day with less than 12 hours of light, it's all downhill from there.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

That's one of the things I like about working nights, I still get to see daylight.  September 26th is the first day with less than 12 hours of light, it's all downhill from there.

I sometimes wonder if it's better living on the equator where you always get 12 hours of light - as opposed to living in a place where it goes from like 8 hours in the winter to like 15 hours in the summer...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS