IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lots of People Shots from Buses 1 and 2

MikeL

I didn't get a chance to meet everyone so I apologize if I got anyone's name wrong. Of course, some of you may be happier being misidentified...

post-1659-1211361263_thumb.jpg

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

We were very fortunate to have Andrew Henderson along with us on some of our walks. He was patient and generous in sharing information, some of which may have even been accurate.

post-1659-1211361386_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361399_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361408_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361425_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361437_thumb.jpg

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

More pictures in an arbitrary order...

post-1659-1211361583_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361595_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361612_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361624_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361637_thumb.jpg

I think everyone was impressed with the Socrateas and Iriariteas - in their number, size, and sheer weirdness.

post-1659-1211361711_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361724_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361735_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361746_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361759_thumb.jpg

Look closely to the left of the waterfall to locate Steve Klocksiem in the picture. I can't recommend studying the picture of Mike Merritt so closely. Remember: Once you've looked at it, you can't unlook.

post-1659-1211361893_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361904_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361917_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361930_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211361948_thumb.jpg

In case you didn't know, Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana has a spicate inflorescence. We saw dozens of them in Braulio Carrillo National Park where the attached picture of Andrew was taken.

post-1659-1211362161_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362173_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362186_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362197_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362208_thumb.jpg

Donald and Dan, both from the Big Island, were equally at home in the rain forest or in the market in downtown San Jose.

That's all I have for now. Mike

post-1659-1211362431_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362442_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362455_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211362492_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Gene. I use a Nikon D200 with two lenses: a Nikkor 17-55 zoom, and a Nikkor 80-400 zoom. The biggest challenge in shooting most of these shots was the low light levels in the rain forest. I guessed that most folks would be so busy snapping photos of the wonderful scenery that they may have forgotten to get pictures of themselves. Thus, I made sure I brought back a lot of pictures of everyone I could.

Wow! Mike, this is better than "Hello!" magazine! You are a natural with a camera, that's for sure.

"Hello!" magazine? I hadn't thought of that. Do you think there is a need for palm paparazzi?

"Hello!" magazine? I hadn't thought of that. Do you think there is a need for palm paparazzi?

Well, all I'll say is that David Bailey and Annie Leibovitz should take palms to heart! If we could convince celebrities that palms are the new, "to be seen with" accessories, it would do wonders for the IPS - not to mention nurseries everywhere. Palms are after all, the rock stars of the tree world.

I didn't get a chance to meet everyone so I apologize if I got anyone's name wrong. Of course, some of you may be happier being misidentified...

Looks like Mr. Searle had too too much of an eyeful :lol:

"AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! MY EYES!!! MY EYES !!! SOMEBODY GET ME A LOT OF ALCOHOL FOR MY EYES!!" :lol::mrlooney::lol:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Brilliant people pics, thanks for showing, nice lens work.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wondeful photos Mike!! These trips are as much about the people as the they are about the plants.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Mike,

EXCELLENT photos and commentary! I hope there's more to come? And it was great to meet you again. Hope you and your wife will be able to make it over from Maui to the Big Island soon! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow. great pictures Mike! It was a pleasure meeting you on the trip. Keep the pics coming!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Wonderful people pix, Mike! Ha, and I thought you were only stalking anteaters and such! :winkie: I was hoping we'd get to see some results from all that equipment you were packing around, very nice, please post some more.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Guest Keith in Zone 9

I'll post more images over the weekend. Work keeps getting in the way of fun! Here's a tip to those of you thinking about attending a Biennial: Save your money and come to Brazil. The camaraderie, among this group is amazing. Everyone interacts like ole friends, even if they haven't met in person before. I'm really looking forward to the next trip.

Looks like Mr. Searle had too too much of an eyeful :lol:

"AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! MY EYES!!! MY EYES !!! SOMEBODY GET ME A LOT OF ALCOHOL FOR MY EYES!!" :lol::mrlooney::lol:

HEY! I resmble that remark!!! :blink:

Great "postcard shots" Mike!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just finishing up the last of my people photos. After giving it some thought, I realized that you can never have enough pictures of Voltaire, so here are a couple more. And since I've subjected so many other folks to public scrutiny and potential humiliation, I thought I should post a photo of myself as well. Here's one, courtesy of Donald Sanders.

Now maybe I should post some pictures of those spider monkeys we saw...

post-1659-1211445023_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211445034_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211445045_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211445060_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211445222_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211445234_thumb.jpg

These are all great pictures. Thanks for the glimpses of the trip.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Great pictures Mike! I have so many palm pictures now that I tend to take more critters, flowers, people, general scenery, etc. It's a shame the group has to split up and we don't get to socialize with half the group most of the time. Your pictures are helping me catch up with those I missed. Craig and I enjoyed talking to you at breakfast. Let us know if you ever come to New Orleans!

Great pictures Mike! It was certainly nice meeting you and since you were on Bus #1, we did get a chance to talk at times, unlike with some ot the others that were on buses 3 & 4. You're a cool guy with great photographic talent.

Whenever you get a little restless or dare I even say bored when on Maui, come on over to the Big Island for a bit and get lost (so much bigger than Maui) and see what some of us are doing in our gardens. It may be a bit of a let down tho' after having just returned from fabulous Costa Rica. LOL

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Mike

Your people pictures are outstanding. I see you use a Nikon D200......would you move up to the D300? Just wondering...I'm contemplating a new camera, and I've got Nikon on the brain, but my husband keeps talking Canon. I'm tired of mediocre photos. I showed hubby your photos here and he was blown away, too, by the richness of the colors.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Thank you for the compliment, Cindy. I'm glad you could see some of the rich color - that depends a lot on the monitor and viewing software (browser) that you are using. I have seen cases where beautifully rich pictures on one monitor look terribly washed out on another.

My understanding is that Nikon and Canon run neck and neck at the high end of consumer digital SLRs; one choice is probably as good as the other. I use Nikon because I've done so all my life starting at about age 13. My familiarity with their products makes it easier to upgrade cameras when the time comes, and I can still use all the Nikon lenses I've collected over so many years. In fact, I took the attached photo of a bee with a 20 year old Nikkor lens just a couple of months ago. (I didn't bring that lens to Costa Rica so I have no relevant biennial examples to show.)

Remember, though, that once you've made a choice between Nikon and Canon, you're pretty much locked into that one brand. The main reason is that both Nikon and Canon build their vibration reduction (VR) features right into the lens; hence, you would need new lenses if you ever changed brands. If you have any doubt about the value of VR, just take a look at the attached of the spider monkey. I took that with an exposure of 1/160 sec. with the zoom set to 400 mm. The picture is not perfect, but I could have never gotten such a successful image at that shutter speed without VR.

Finally, you ask about upgrading to a D300. I have heard that the D300 has better autofocus capabilities for tracking moving objects, has longer battery life, and should produce richer color. There's no doubt that I would choose the D300 if I were buying today. But those improvements are not nearly enough to make me fork over the significant amount of money it would take to upgrade.

post-1659-1211652738_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1211652919_thumb.jpg

I love the bee. You can see all the tiny hairs. How fast were you shooting then?

The monkey photo is great, too. I used to do all 35mm slr way back in the olden days of film. :mrlooney: With the digital age, I opted to go quick and easy with a Canon powershot. At the time, it was top of the consumer line...now it's so far behind. That's what I hate about technology...one can never stay ahead of the curve very long.

BTW, my computer monitor stinks and I can still see the richness in the colors of your photos.

Thanks again for posting!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Great pictures Mike.....how many in attendance are PalmTalk regulars?.....I didn't recognize alot of the names. Thanks for posting the pictures .... your efforts are appreciated.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I was on Mike's bus (1) along with Jeff in Costa Rica, Kim, Ray in Tampa, Bobby in NY. The other palm talkers will have to chime in. I wished we had gotten a group shot like bus 4 did! :angry:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

A couple more PalmTalkers that were on Bus #1

Al in Kona

Mike in Kurtisstown

Anyone else?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Aloha Mike from Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) on Big Island, and a big Mahalo for sharing these wonderful photos - you are a really great photographer. I was on the notorious bus #4, also known as the Oxcart Party Barge where the CRT-supplied water bottles in those big ice coolers were being replaced each morning by passenger donations of Imperial cerveza. It is nice to see that the palm nuts like you aboard other buses were having just as much fun!

bueno solo (its all good, dude)

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

I think there were somewhere between 20 and 30 PalmTalk members on the biennial. Many of whom were on Bus 4. There are about 10 or so biennial regulars who have now signed up on PalmTalk or have started posting after hearing about how much fun we have here.

Hope to see you all in Brazil!

Good job! Beautiful natural pictures of many people! Thank you so much.

Carlo