IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When Virtual and Real Worlds Collide ........

RainForestt Robert

The Costa Rica biennial was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I thought that I would have fun, but never anticipated that it would be so over the top with fantastic palms, great company, good food and drinks. This palm board is great, allowing individuals from all over the world to interact and share their experiences with palms, gardens, travel etc. The virtual world of palm talk is black and white compared to the color of the biennial. I got home safely and I have been spending some time with my family, so I have not been able to download photos to my computer and photobucket. After sorting through a few thousand I will post a few.

Just to let my friends know that all palm seeds arrived in Trinidad safely.

Go Cyrtostachys, we might be Bus 4, but we are # 1!

RainForestt Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Robert,

I agree. That was an awesome trip. It was cool meeting you along with everyone else. Here's Robert lending scale.

post-11-1210542934_thumb.jpg

post-11-1210543021_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Trinidad Bob (and Ryan) taking a picture of me, taking a picture of him (and Ryan).

post-1325-1210543930_thumb.jpg

Larry Davis

Time flies like an arrow,

But fruit flies like a banana

I left Trinidad on Fri, 02 May, heading to Panama and connecting to San Jose. My wife had been asking me all week if I was excited. My response was non comittal, but she said she knew otherwise. Something about packing early and making lists, unheard of activites for me. Anyway, by the time I got to the airport I was in a palmy frame of mind.

DSC_0326.jpg

The transition from one Copa Airlines flight to the next in Panama was the most seamless that I had ever had. I arrived at the San Jose airport and was met by a CRT rep. CRT was an extremely professional outfit. Hats of to them, and to the IPS for their choice. Waited a bit for other attendees, then headed to the hotel that was a few minutes away.

DSC_0367.jpg

After checking into the hotel, receiving a delicious cookie, I went to my room which was spacious, clean and comfortable. Oh yeah, hot water was always available.

DSC_0330.jpg

Took this photo when room was pristine. The following morning I transferrred to a double room. I was a bit apprehensive sharing a room with someone I had not before, but that ended up being a good thing, learning more about individuals, their interests and growing palms in different parts of the world.

The following morning I met my new room mate, Donald Sanders, and we decided to go downtown San Jose. We took the bus which was very affordable - 375 colones- 1 US$ = 490 colones, compared to cab fee of $15. Did not take the camera, but saw many wonderful sights and sounds. There was a lot of energy and atmosphere in San Jose. Did some shopping at the craft market. Decided to return at a later date, but never did.

When I got back to the hotel I recognized many palm talk members from their photos. I introduced myself to many.

DSC_0335.jpg

Jeff Searle taking photos. The reaction was always "You're Trinidad Bob! Nice to meet you."

DSC_0332.jpg

Jeff Searle, Barry from South Africa and Voltaire from Haiti (Hawaii)

DSC_0333.jpg

Ron Keifer and Donald Sanders

DSC_0334.jpg

Hanging out in the lobby, meeting old and new friends.

The opening dinner offered up Peach Palm appetizers

DSC_0336.jpg

Wonderful tropical floral centerpieces and lots of good food.

DSC_0338.jpg

Leland Lai, who was the main organizer of the biennial gave some welcoming remarks. This was followed by several other speakers. Leland returned to inform attendees that collecting seed from private lands and national parks was prohibited.

DSC_0349.jpg

Outgoing IPS President, Paul Craft welcomed attendees and indicated that this was the most international biennial ever.

DSC_0351.jpg

Ryan was on hand, camera at the ready, shooting the action. Better photos and narratives to follow.

DSC_0342.jpg

Bo Knows Palms, the new President also gave some remarks.

DSC_0352.jpg

Simultaneous translation was offered so everyone could hear the lectures in Spanish or English

Translators

DSC_0345.jpg

After the dinner, the floral center pieces found good homes.

This one, held by Shirley Lai ended up in my room.

DSC_0358.jpg

Thanks Robert! I am truly enjoying every single picture from this whole excursion!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

The Costa Rican Biennial was AWESOME! It was well planned (kudos, Leland et al.) and expertly executed (CRT rocks!). The weather was great, the hotel was nice and the company was good fun. And let's not forget: The palms were stunning! I am blown away by CR and can't wait to go back! For those of you who didn't attend, you missed a great biennial.

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

Having only two biennials under my belt, I have to say this was a truly great experience. To echo Robert's comments on how when you meet people for the first time in person, yet you have known them for a while through the Forum; it becomes a whole new thing. The fact that so many people made it to the biennial, (with friends filling Bus #4), made it even more special. A two-hour plus ride on Bus #4 went by very quickly. Sometimes too fast. I think when all of our experiences are shared on the Forum, they will need to increase the quantity of attendees for the next Biennial by quite a bit. Maybe they will have a super large bus available for Brazil in two years. It was both a surreal pleasure and an honor to share the biennial with so many die-hard palm fanatics. To meet so many Forum members for the first time was worth the price of the biennial alone. I cannot wait to finish editing all my photos, since I have been finding surprises among them. It will be hard to top this one, but I know we have to try.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Hello everybody! I am back at home.

It has been a marvelous experience to see again old friends and to meet new ones, including many "palmtalkers". I enjoyed all the tours. I especially loved the hanging bridges over the iriartea palms.

Good people, good palms, good country.

Carlo

Hello everybody! I am back at home.

It has been a marvelous experience to see again old friends and to meet new ones, including many "palmtalkers". I enjoyed all the tours. I especially loved the hanging bridges over the iriartea palms.

Good people, good palms, good country.

Carlo

Pura Vida Carlo!, Pura Vida! and BoB and Ryan and Kathryn, and Junglegal , and, and, and... :wub: I Love you guys! :innocent:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It was great to finally meet Robert and Carlo in person! And it's great to see Scott posting here on the board!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Day 2 began with a lot of anticipation. Those who had not collected their name tags headed to the CRT hospitality desk to collect them along with their T shirts, hat etc.

DSC_0373.jpg

Others headed straight for the bus. John Bilbo was early!

DSC_0376.jpg

I spent a few minutes in the park opposite the hotel taking some photos, including what would become the Bus 4 mascot.

DSC_0365.jpg

Bus mascot

DSC_0363.jpg

Lefty was still a bit shy. He had not yet assumed his position at the front of the bus, or was that driving the bus?

DSC_0377.jpg

By the time we made it to the Herrero farm all the attendees were stoked! Cameras - Ready, Ziplock bags - Set, Let's Go.

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

Wallichia distcha. Many of the palms were in fabric or bags. Mr. Herrero indicated that this significantly reduced shipping costs as opposed to pots.

DSC_0381.jpg

There were a number of choice palms lining the main entrance of the farm. This was just a taste of what lay ahead. There were tributaries of the main road. Attendees scattered in all directions.

DSC_0384.jpg

El Hoagie closely examining some specimens.

DSC_0396.jpg

Aiphanes sp

DSC_0398.jpg

Trunk detail

DSC_0400.jpg

This is a very spiny, but attractive palm.

Alcantera imperialis is used in the landscape throughout Costa Rica. Bromeliads on whole are prevalent in nature there, so it seems right that they are incorporated so much in landscape use.

DSC_0387.jpg

Sabal sp, full of seed. I may have collected a few! :drool:

DSC_0402.jpg

Tree fern

DSC_0406.jpg

Alocasia sp

DSC_0404.jpg

I was hanging out for a bit with El and La Hoagie. We were all becoming a little slack jawed!

DSC_0409.jpg

Thrinax sp.

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

One of my favorite palms, with a pinkish/red leaf, Gronophyllum pinangoides. I heard the name has been changed. Can't keep up with the name changes.

DSC_0417.jpg

Some leaf detail. Pinanga coronata.

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Areca vestiara, trunk detail.

DSC_0432.jpg

Veitchia grove. This was one of the most spectacular sights. Standing below the canopy you felt as if you were in the rainforest.

DSC_0436.jpg

Ginger

DSC_0440.jpg

Another Philodendron

DSC_0443.jpg

Some more choice palms and plants from Marco's farm.

Apart from the Veitchia groves, these C. crinita were the most spectacular palms that I saw.

DSC_0456-1.jpg

DSC_0459-1.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0461-1.jpg

One of my favorite sports during the biennial was "Stump the experts".

What the heck is this?

DSC_0467.jpg

This miniature palm was just georgeous. ID anyone?

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

If this palm was at a Hollywood club there would be velvet ropes and rotund guys. This Licuala cordata was really surrounded. Note all the feet in the photos.

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

I had an Orange Crush rush!! Damn, no seeds. Bo, help a brother out.

DSC_0452-1.jpg

Definitely a must have palm for my collection.

DSC_0538.jpg

I digress for a moment.

The soil in Costa Rica is absolutely fabulous. Rich in organic material the plants look as if they are just exploding.

More later.

Hi Bob,

Great photos!! Yes, the soil in CR was the richest I've seen anywhere. I would assume it makes growing even the hardest plants a little easier.

Keep the photos coming.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wow! You guys had a great time and regret missing all of it. Sharing the experience with other palm folks makes it all the more fun and exciting.

SOMEONE had to stay behind and keep the economy afloat (ok, well, I am trying my best!)

Thanks for the photos, Bob.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Robert,

It was finally good to meet you. I just got back in from Peru yesterday and still trying to read about all the adventures. Your pics. are great, keep them coming. Oh, and don't forget to include the ones from when we had the talent show. :lol: It was great to see everyone.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus

DSC_0469.jpg

C. polyphyllus inflorescence

DSC_0470.jpg

That is one beautiful palm.

Kerriodoxa elegans

DSC_0476.jpg