IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Costa Rica Critters

putu enjula

I thought it might be nice to have a separate thread for everyone to post their animal and insect pictures.

Eyelash viper... obviously the red one...

post-1234-1210530193_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Nice critter pics peeps! Enjula, I love that eyelash viper sot! Nice depth of field!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

left to right of lefty's pics,

american crocodile, ameiva, mountain helmeted iguana Corytophanes sp. (fairly uncommon in most of its range), green iguana (tastes like chicken)

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Sloth at INBioparque. These are probably my favorite animals in Costa Rica and are very commonly seen in many parts of the country.

DSC_0194.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Did anyone get bitten by Arm Ants down there? How about the Goliath Bird eating Spiders, did anyone see those?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Thats my hand. Yep, its what you think, the guide said it should be no probl...........................................................................

.................................................................................

thunk.

post-27-1210642038_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Did anyone get bitten by Arm Ants down there? How about the Goliath Bird eating Spiders, did anyone see those?

Gary

I didn't get bitten by any "Arm Ants". But I did get bitten by something on my way to the Jacuzzi on a couple nights..... interpret as you wish. either way, it itched, I scratched it. :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

"And here is de Viper dat I wuz de foist one to spot!" (I then let everyone else I saw know too after I snapped this pic), I only found it when we stopped ONEMORE time to discuss the difference between Iriartea and Socratea roots. You think its easy... wait till they are 40+ feet tall, the roots look similar on some....

Anyway, most of the group moved on and I was staring at all the roots and then I spotted a "slimy" root.

Heres how I first saw it, I shouted snake as I took the picture.

costarica082.jpg

I should add the roots were about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter.

Some others from the last day at Pozo Azul.

post-27-1210644329_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210644343_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210644374_thumb.jpg

Green Basilisk! VERY cool. I can't believe all the things you guys saw! I was in CR a few years ago and did many of the same activities but didn't see half of the cool stuff you guys did. What a trip.

South Florida

This picture doesn't do them justice, but these are leaf cutter ants marching across a palm frond over a ditch. These really stood out since the leaves were yellow.

Kate, did you ever look close at the leaves/flowers those leaf cutter ants were carrying? Our guide told us that the Leaf cutter ants live of of a certain fungus on the plant life they bring into their home. The wrong fungus can be very detrimental and so they have "small cleaner ants" that are riding along "cleaning" what ever is coming in, just to make sure. Sadly, these pics don't do them justice, but the red/brown colors on the yellow are one or two cleaners riding along!

post-27-1210647760_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210647780_thumb.jpg

Green Basilisk! VERY cool. I can't believe all the things you guys saw! I was in CR a few years ago and did many of the same activities but didn't see half of the cool stuff you guys did. What a trip.

Mike is this the same thing? he looked a little different. Both were within a few feet of each other while it was raining hard. Also, my last pic in Costa Rica... :bummed:

post-27-1210647980_thumb.jpg

Mike is this the same thing? he looked a little different. Both were within a few feet of each other while it was raining hard. Also, my last pic in Costa Rica... :bummed:

Top pic is a male (large crest) and this second one looks like it could be a lady friend. They also call them "Jesus Christ Lizards" because they can walk on water for short distances. We've got the less impressive brown basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus) all over the place here in SoFlo.

Watch Em Run!

South Florida

Leaf Cutter Ants

These little critters were hard to photograph, but here are 2 shots. In the first shot, you can see the trail of leaf pieces marching right up the tree branch. The second shot is close enough that you can see the little guys carrying the leaf pieces.

post-1325-1210654708_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210654725_thumb.jpg

Larry Davis

Time flies like an arrow,

But fruit flies like a banana

Here's another Toucan shot at La Paz Waterfalls. It was tricky to get a good shot. A couple of times, with the delay in my little digital camera I would push the button, and then during the two seconds before the camera decided to take the photo the bird was on his way to some place else and I ended up with a non-Toucan photo!

Second photo - another shot of the iguana. This was right after we had pulled out of the parking lot at Arenal hanging bridges and someone yelled for the bus driver to stop (which he did), and this little guy was just sitting there by the roadside, probably wondering what all the commotion was about!

post-22-1210738556_thumb.jpg

post-22-1210738573_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

"And here is de Viper dat I wuz de foist one to spot!" (I then let everyone else I saw know too after I snapped this pic), I only found it when we stopped ONEMORE time to discuss the difference between Iriartea and Socratea roots. You think its easy... wait till they are 40+ feet tall, the roots look similar on some....

Anyway, most of the group moved on and I was staring at all the roots and then I spotted a "slimy" root.

costarica082.jpg

Great photo. It shows just how camouflaged the eyelash viper can be. Whenever you're in the forest, if you look close enough you can usually find them, they're not too uncommon. They are actually very small snakes so you really have to look for them.

Did anyone get any photos of the bullet ants?

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

costarica082.jpg

Great photo. It shows just how camouflaged the eyelash viper can be. Whenever you're in the forest, if you look close enough you can usually find them, they're not too uncommon. They are actually very small snakes so you really have to look for them.

Did anyone get any photos of the bullet ants?

Which is that? The one in post #10 was taken by a guide with my camera (not used to it) anyway, that was a big mother, about 1 inch long. They didn't mind me holding the poisonous frog, but wanted to keep the ant away from me!

Bill

JakeK Posted Yesterday, 10:48 PM

...Did anyone get any photos of the bullet ants?

- Those of us on Bus #4 saw a group of Bullet Ants (Paraponera clavata) scrambling up and down a tree outside the gift shop at the Aerial Tram on Monday. They were on the move for sure. The guides could not tell us enough how bad the sting is from one of these. They are also called 24-Hour Ants, since the pain from one sting will last for a day. I tried to get volunteers to get stung but no one would do it. The ant is about an inch in length.

2008-05-05_12-08-46.jpg

- A female Golden Orb-Weaver Spider (Nephila maculata), with dinner. She was in one of the shadehouses at Marco Herrero's farm, that Group 2 explored on Sunday morning. Friendly and docile, she had no problem being surrounded by camera equipment.

2008-05-04_09-46-53.jpg

- Same spider with a pen for scale.

2008-05-04_09-47-11.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

That little frog is Dendrobates pumilio, the blue jeans dart frog

The green lizard is a green basilisk, the snake is an eyelash viper (come in many colors) and the little red headed gecko is a gecko whose name I cannot recall just now.

I wouldn't rub my eyes or pick my nose after touching that dart frog, captive raised ones lack the punch that wild ones have, some kind of sequestering, or modification of toxins from some bug they eat (like an ant of some kind), but you could have had a rather unpleasant experience.

Alan

Wish I had been there.

We get those spiders in the last pic here in Florida too.

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Not expecting it there, and looking at the big frog on the ground, I almost walkedface first into that weaver Ryan took a pic of!

A little green guy spotted by Darold while he was pointing out some "fungus" to me. (I started taking pics of that, I'll probably start a thread for that at some point)

Also, some cat with a lot of legs................

post-27-1210913249_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210913266_thumb.jpg

A large lizard... they call it an iguana but it is not an iguana... go figure.

post-1234-1210993600_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia