IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few pre-Biennial pics

Jeff in St Pete

The last couple of days I've had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with Jerry & Cindy Andersen and Al & Silvia Bredeson when they decided to come a few days early and spend it here in Manuel Antonio. Their first day here we went over to my friend Alexander's spice farm and he took us on a tour to look at of some of his palms.

First stop was his prized Zamia which his wife had saved from a nearby area that was being developed. He says it gets at least 3 cones per year.

Al, Jerry and Alexander checking out the newest cone

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Heliconia, I think he said this was "Splash"

DSC_0007.jpg

Native heliconia growing in an unplanted area of his property

DSC_0008.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Alexander took us down further to what he calls his "Park". This is an untouched area of his property that he particularly enjoyed, so he had a path made through it.

Trying to id this palm

DSC_0019.jpg

He asked us if we wanted to see his "stilt root" palms and of course we all said yes! He warned us we had to go deeper into the forest to see them.

Once we got there, he showed us these Socratea's

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

New entire leaf...with spines

DSC_0014.jpg

A look into the forest

DSC_0036.jpg

Jerry, Al and Cindy coming up out of the forest. The heat and humidity were building all morning and then just before we left the farm, it started pouring rain.

DSC_0042.jpg

A couple more of his heliconia's

DSC_0050.jpg

I think he said this was Temptress? I have to start taking notes!

DSC_0053.jpg

WOW..beautiful pics Jeff. I love the Socratea, and the heliconias are just perfect.

Love the pic of Jerry, Al and Cindy coming through the Curculigo capitulata, They are very invasive on the tropics, but beautiful palm-looking plants anyway.

I hope you all have a great Biennial week.

"Not the straight angle that attracts me, nor straight, hard, inflexible, created by man. What attracts me is the free and sensual curve, the curves that find in the mountains of my country, in the course of its winding rivers, the sea waves, the body of the woman preferred. Curves is done throughout the universe, the universe of Einstein's curved." -Oscar Niemeyer

Great pictures Jeff. I wish I had been able to make it there. I did want to go, but it just did not work out.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

We're getting ready to leave soon to drive to San Jose, got to finish packing!

Nice Heliconias. If you're growing tropical seeds and can't wait for Strelitzia to flower, Heliconias can flower in as little as 2 years. The upright one is H. wagneriana and underneath looks like H. rostrata.

Thanks Jeff. Its cool to have "live" pictures while everyone is there. i was expeting things to quiet down on the board while everyone was away in the Biennial.

Is the entire leaf palm on post 3 a Bactris Militaris?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Wonderful pics, what a beautiful place...thanks for posting those!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

John, the heliconia in the last picture is definitely not rostrata. I know it's hard to tell the size of those flowers from this pic but they are much bigger and longer than rostrata and the plant itself grows much taller also.

Gene, I can't remember right what that was identified as. We looked at so many different palms...

Thanks Rusty!

Thanks for posting. I'll be in back to Costa Rica in October :mrlooney:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

John, the heliconia in the last picture is definitely not rostrata. I know it's hard to tell the size of those flowers from this pic but they are much bigger and longer than rostrata and the plant itself grows much taller also.

You're right it's 'Temptress' Jeff - a hybrid between H. chartacea and H. platystachys.

I've since learned that ‘Temptress’ has a sister called, 'Sexy Pink'.

post-1155-1210426201_thumb.jpg

As usual, great pictures Jeff!

And Salvades - welcome to the IPS Forum! Clicked on your profile, and I see that you are exactly two days older than our daughter, Annika, who's also on PalmTalk (under her name)! :)

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Jeff :)

your stills are fentastic & i like your machine...the still resolution is fabulous !

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Jeff

It does not look like anyone is going to give you a name for those palms and some of those haliconia’s so I will have a try.

The Palm in post number 2 is Geonoma congesta

And then the one in post number 3 could be a Bactris species but I’m not what species? Is this just a juvenile leaf and does it divide as it gets older? :hmm:

The upright Heliconia in post 3 is Heliconia orthotricha we call "pink imperialias” but there could be many common names for some of these H.orthotricha as they have many different colour forms, we have about 5 different pink forms here, there is also Red and Black cv “Edge of Night”, Yellow and Red etc etc.

And the hanging/pendent one as John has found out is H. platystachys x H. chartacea cv Rob’s Red, this also can have many different common names or sales names “Temptress” is also one of them, but cv “Rob’s Red” this is the correct one.

The other two heliconia’s above are Heliconia splash and the pendent one is Heliconia pogonantha.

Ps John there is a small Heliconia rostrata in with the Zamia fairchildiana photo.

Clayton. :)

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

I kept forgetting that you grow heliconias too, Clayton :) . We went to a friend's place in El Arish... and that was a wonderland for me... as far as heliconias, gingers and costus go.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Jeff,

We arrived in Hawaii a few days ago and now have the time to look over some of our pictures that we took in Costa Rica. Cindy and I had a great time visiting with you and thanks again for showing us around. Below are some of our pictures.

Looking down at a large grove of oil palms

CostaRica2008396.jpg

CostaRica2008397.jpg

Sylvia, Al, Me and Cindy having breakfast on the beach. Jeff took this picture.

CostaRica2008450.jpg

CostaRica2008451.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Al, on the beach

CostaRica2008460.jpg

The stay here was very comfortable. We could have easily stayed here for the whole week. This place is fabulous.

CostaRica2008504.jpg

CostaRica2008503.jpg

CostaRica2008508.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

The wall facing the beach, the swimming pool is on top of this.

CostaRica2008513.jpg

OK, back to plants. This is Jeff's nursery area.

CostaRica2008493.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Thanks Salvades! I received an offspring of that Zamia as a gift and it is one of my most treasured plants!

Thanks Bo!

Thanks Kris! I am still learning how to use this camera. I hope to take some better photos someday.

Clayton, thanks so much for the id's! Geonoma congesta was frequently seen during the Biennial. Now after seeing it in different stages of growth, I think I have two potted specimens. They were sold to me as "Geonoma" but that's all I knew at the time. Thanks for the correct name for Temptress also!

Jerry, it was my pleasure showing you guys around. I had a great time, especially the night that you, Al and I sat up "talking palms" until well after midnight! I really enjoyed our breakfast on the beach at Balú. That's my favorite place in the world to sit and have a leisurely meal.

I brought my little pocket camera that day and just remembered and downloaded the pictures today. Here is my pic of you guys from the other side. The sun was blinding that day and it reflected off the water and sand, but the shot came out halfway decent.

P5010049.jpg

Down by the the entrance to Manuel Antonio National Park

P5010050.jpg

Al and Silvia checking out the vendor stalls

P5010051.jpg

Walking on the beach

P5010053.jpg

Should take a photo of yourself, Jeff... so we know what you look like :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari, I am in post 19 and 21 (in the orange shirt). Plus I already posted too many pictures of me in my Biennial thread! :rolleyes:

Hi Jeff

If you ever find any seeds on that Bactris in post number 3 I would love to try a few as it’s a lovely looking Bactris, I’m not sure if It’s Bactris hondurensis?? :hmm:

Ps the beach and the surf look great over there.

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Clayton, I will keep that in mind and contact you if I find any seeds. :)