IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

May Weather Thread

Exotic Life

Hi...

Ok my turn again :) After this week some cooler tempetures and sometime a shower the spring is coming hard back after a little break with look a like summer tempetures....

Tomorrow 02-05

Day 16C/60.8F

Night 6C/42.8F

Sunny and some clouds..

Saturday 03-05

Day 21C/69.8F

Night 6C/42.8F

Sunny and blue skys

Sunday 04-05

Day 23C/73.4F

Night 9C/48.2F

Sunny and blue skys

Monday 05-05

Day 24C/75.2F

Night Night 9C/48.2F

Sunny and blue skys

Tuesday 06-05

Day 24C/75.2F

Night Night 9C/48.2F

Sunny and blue skys

Wednesday

Day 25C/77F

Night 10C/50F

Sunny and blue skys

Every day the forecast looks like to be getting warmer...

Robbin

Southwest

The 10-day forcast looks great out this way. Highs 76-82F and lows of 50-60F. Except for two of those days, the predicted lows are 57-60F. I love when it starts to get warm, espcecially before the summer humidity sets in.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Its now 82F with a dewpoint of 9F, just therapeutic. Supposedly we'll see 90-92 highs this weekend but dropping to 85F by tuesday. I'll take it, great palm growing weather, and very nice weather for people too. My bizzies like it, they are throwing 2 new spears each.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The La Niña effect on the Amazonian rainy season continues. And, the first cold fronts of the year are hitting southern Brazil.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We are in Pensacola, Fl this weekend. Great weather, but a bit on the windy side. Tomorrow it is poolside for me, but there is that 80% chance of rain tomorrow. Oh well, if we get rained out I guess we will have to go palm shopping. Oh, darn.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

May 5,2008-Thunderstorms have usually started by now.Not this year.When will they start.The weather has actually been great.Hot during the day,a little bit cool at night.Kind of like the Imperial Desert.

What you look for is what is looking

It's getting better en better... and also warmer!

The forecast now is...

Tuesday

Day: 24C/75.2F

Night: 9C/48.2F

Sunny and blue sky's!

Wednesday

Day: 25C/77F

Night: 10C/50F

Sunny and blue sky's!

Thursday

Day: 26C/78.8F

Night: 10C/50F

Sunny and blue sky's!

Friday

Night: 11C/51.8F

Sunny and blue sky's!

Saturday

Night: 11C/51.8F

Sunny and blue sky's!

Come on springgg!!! :D

Robbin

Southwest

Hot and dry. Little to no clouds in the sky during the day. My grass is torched in the backyard; but the palms, even my most drought intolerant palms, are doing great. Grass should be illegal in Florida....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Dry here. I let the hose soak many in ground palms and the soil just suced the water up, pretty rare to see.

dewpoints in the teens high mid to upper 80's. Should hit the first 90 degree day later this week. perfect camping weather. about 60-65 degrees at night for a low.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

We have been warm and very dry too. I'm enjoying the temps in the low 80's without being smacked in the face with humidity. By the end of May, the humidity usually arrives.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

I am in downtown Miami this week. It is HOT.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yes, hot hot! I recorded 90.9F when I got home from work at 310pm. My car registered 94F on the road. The sun is at work here and the rain has been absent for a month now...rain rain please come back! May and early June are always sooooo dry here. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Need rain....Very hot and dry here, but the humidity is creeping up so maybe in a couple weeks we will start seeing some summertime showers and storms. My grass is totally crispy now, but the palms are doing great.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

May 8,2008-Dryseason has yet to end.Those big Boomers from the Glades have usually shown up by now.What does this portend?

May 8,2008-Dryseason has yet to end.Those big Boomers from the Glades have usually shown up by now.What does this portend?

Bubba I'm going out on a limb here, it means DROUGHT! And I am not even a meteorologist,but I have stayed in those hotels on several occassions! :winkie:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Scott,We are actually 6 inches wetter than nomal but there is a muck fire on 4,000 acres of exposed former Lake Chobeeobee.

On my car temp. gauge (I know, I know, I am not claiming it is perfectly accurate) hit 99F today.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Well over here in SW Oz May started off a bit cool at night with mins in the single digit celcius zone due to a high that wouldn't budge. Days have been low to mid twenties celcius. The last couple of days have been great. The high budged enough for the temps to enter the teens again at night, and the days have been 24-26C with very high humidity. Yesterday was a humid 24C with almost full cloud cover and last night we had some big drops that although not really wetting the ground sent the dewpoints to the 20C zone. After hitting 100% humidity this morning with everything really wet from the dew it's now a sunny and humid 25C. Tonight we get thunderstorms, but we are slowly drifting into winter. The max's forecast are steadily declining. As long as we don't get too many of those highs that don't budge I'll be happy.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It got to 28C today. Not bad for 3 weeks out of winter.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Humidity is definitley increasing along with the temps here. Even some clouds today. I'll take some cloud cover even without rain at this point since it will limit the sun's attack somewhat.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Finally got some scattered thunderstorms today.We may be getting close to the end of Dry Season.I wonder if it rained on the Muck fire out in Lake Okeechobee.

The rain continues south of the equator. And, just north of the equator where I work a lot the rain has started. The projection is that our rainy season will last through June here in Manaus. And, up north it has started a bit early. La Niña is still around.

I ran into a real nice rainbow while on the road up north, 480 kms from Manaus last Wednesday. There was a nice Attalea as an accent to the rainbow. The sun was starting to go down and it made a great scene.

dk

post-188-1210428183_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Winter is moving in fast. The cold fronts are becoming more frequent and it is forecast to be 19C on Wed. Here we go again. :badday:

regards

Tyrone

Humid and warm tonight with a strong flow off the gulf ahead of a cold front, but not a drop of rain! Supposed to cool a bit at night with really no effect on daytime highs which will still make it well up into the 80s F. Very little "cold" is coming with this particular cold front, just lots of wind, dry air and, well, daytime heat. Perfect fire weather.... Still in irrigaton mode here, can't wait for the wet season to start! Probably will have to wait until well into June this year to get the real wet season started. Has anyone been watching the atlantic tropics? Hurricane season is right around the corner....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Tyrone, good luck with your winter. Fortunately, where you are in Australia is well moderated by the seas so that Antarctic blasts don't have such a devastating effect such as an Arctic blast would have in Florida.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Tyrone, good luck with your winter. Fortunately, where you are in Australia is well moderated by the seas so that Antarctic blasts don't have such a devastating effect such as an Arctic blast would have in Florida.

True. You are right. I've got a lot to be thankful for and in reality, I don't think I've ever lost a healthy palm in winter. The most damage my garden gets is sun burn from freak heat spells in summer.

Anyway, in 3 weeks I'm leaving the wintry southern hemisphere for 6 weeks of summer in England and Spain. When I get back there will only be a small bit of winter to contend with. Then it will be Spring again. Yippeee.

regards

Tyrone

True. You are right. I've got a lot to be thankful for and in reality, I don't think I've ever lost a healthy palm in winter. The most damage my garden gets is sun burn from freak heat spells in summer.

Anyway, in 3 weeks I'm leaving the wintry southern hemisphere for 6 weeks of summer in England and Spain. When I get back there will only be a small bit of winter to contend with. Then it will be Spring again. Yippeee.

regards

Tyrone

I hope for you that over 3 weeks the weather better is in Spain.. The last couple day's was The Netherlands the warmest place of whole europe... Madrid was a few days ago 14C and rain and here i recorded almost the 28C... Barcelona has got more then 200 mm of rain the last couple days... But for the people that living there no problem! ;)

Robbin

Southwest

I am back home from Florida, and STILL NO RAIN. Our normal April drought is extending well into May. The normal summer rains have yet to come. Some of the newer plantings are stuggling. And it has been a cool spring as well. Woke up this morning to 55 degrees here in So. Louisiana. Most unusual. Great on the gardener, but hard on the palms which would like both heat and rain to "get it on."

Hey Ty

Whos gonna look after the children while you are jet-setting in Europe? Lucky bugger!

Temps have been great here, days in the mid to high 20's and lows at around 15c. We need some rain! Today may bring a few drops. Was 18c this morning with a gentle SW wind and cloudy cause by a weak cold-front. tomorrow is back to 25c.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hi Dennis,

My children have all been placed in their wintering positions, and really there is not much to do in winter in a tropical garden. Everything slows down. Going away in Spring would be a nightmare.

I really want to get over to Madagascar and South Africa one day. I'll go and have a look at the rivers in Pondoland.

Your weather sounds glorious. My weather is rubbish today. Although the min was 14.5C it quickly got to 20C then the rain came and dropped the temp to 15 or 16C with drissle. Forecast for tonight is 7C. Luckily I covered my coconut. :badday:

regards

Tyrone

It's very dry here now with brush fires self starting.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Yeah you really should make a plan to come and have a look. Ill be your guide-----keep you out of trouble and all that! :rage:

7c is a little nippy, but dont worry those are the max temps in England in Summer anyway! :blink:

Cheers for now

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Again, for the 3rd time in as many weeks the rains roar just 25 miles north while leaving us high and dry. I have several palms to plant, but the ground is like concrete in some places. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!

post-1207-1210796941_thumb.jpg

Yeah you really should make a plan to come and have a look. Ill be your guide-----keep you out of trouble and all that! :rage:

7c is a little nippy, but dont worry those are the max temps in England in Summer anyway! :blink:

Cheers for now

Dennis, maybe one day I'll actually do it, and see your wonderful garden, and yes I'd really appreciate a local guide. It'll keep me from blindly wandering into hostile Kwa Zulu territory looking at palm trees.

We had our coldest day since our last really cold day back in October. We only reached 17.6C yesterday. I'm reminded what winter is again. Single digit mins for the next week, but low twenties celcius with plenty of sunshine to warm the ground. Yesterday I went to check on my covered Dwarf Malay and even though the sun was behind the clouds and the air temp was around 17C, it was a toasty 29C in there. It's not seen below 11C yet and it's still growing, so hopefully it won't be outgrowing it's enclosure too early.

Best regards

Tyrone

Cheers for now

Dennis, maybe one day I'll actually do it, and see your wonderful garden, and yes I'd really appreciate a local guide. It'll keep me from blindly wandering into hostile Kwa Zulu territory looking at palm trees.

We had our coldest day since our last really cold day back in October. We only reached 17.6C yesterday. I'm reminded what winter is again. Single digit mins for the next week, but low twenties celcius with plenty of sunshine to warm the ground. Yesterday I went to check on my covered Dwarf Malay and even though the sun was behind the clouds and the air temp was around 17C, it was a toasty 29C in there. It's not seen below 11C yet and it's still growing, so hopefully it won't be outgrowing it's enclosure too early.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ja you shouldnt venture "deep" into Africa alone!

Ohhh 17.6c max......that was our min this morning! Ok well almost. It was 17c in the garden this morning and max is due to hit 28c but I see that there is a bit of cooling for the rest of the week. Your Cocos should be fine under the plastic.....

Cheers for now

D

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

The Beatles white album, side 4, track 4.

Dry baby dry

Make Licuala sigh

It's cold but it should be wetter

The kings of my garden, they're all whinging

Cause it's okay, for the queens

The queens and the parlour

They are laughing at the children of the kings

Dry baby dry

Make Licuala sigh

The Dypsis of Pembana always smiling

And a growing to a "T"

The Stilts are having problems

Need a massage from the local birds and bees.

Dry baby dry

Make Licuala sigh

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Woke last night to the sound of thunder How far off i sat and wondered ...

But I didn't wonder long as the sound of rain came quickly afterwards, and it has been rainng since. YES, FINALLY!

Here it is coming down. And look at the cool effect on the 2nd picture, before I turned the flash off.

post-1207-1210852922_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1210852937_thumb.jpg

Keith, thanks for renewing my confidence. I was beginning to think rain was mythical.

Keith, thanks for renewing my confidence. I was beginning to think rain was mythical.

Beware when it comes, as it may bring a little chaos with it. All is good at my home, but just a few miles north these were the scenes (source The Independent www.theind.com )

Mini-twisters and micro-burst

post-1207-1210870509_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1210870522_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1210870610_thumb.jpg

I would welcome a bit of chaos right now although the photos are a bit extreme.