IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hello??  Spring??  Where are you?

Coloradoboi

We have had a horrible winter, and from the looks of things, it is nowhere near being over.

picture1fy8.png

another 4-6 inches of snow expected?  Come on!

My tulips haven't even bloomed yet.

There are barely any trees that are even beginning to show signs of life in them.  What a depressing spring!

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Now Jim,  that is just plain cruel.  I didn't have the heart to tell Scott.  

OK Scott, so now that the cat is out of the bag, listen to that little voice in your ear, it is saying "move south, move south."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(syersj @ Apr. 07 2008,00:52)

Spring started at least 2 months ago, if not more.

Spring doesn't start in February.

I refuse to believe it.    :P

It starts in may....  out here at least.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Winter? January 3rd was our winter....nothing under 40F since...move south! Greg in Tampa Bay

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

WOW... Coloradoboi... I feel tropical compared to you...... Mid 50's to almost 60 here now - tulips in bloom and grass is growing.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

hi coloradoboi

this is the most cool winter in 30 years of all the east pacific coast, from california to central méxico. (la niña). you get all the weather from here.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Scott, I confess that spring is down here with us.  We got it right after So. Florida, but have committed to send it to So Cal next.  I think Bobby in NY is next in line.  Perhaps he could send it your way after that.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's been near summer-like here for the last two weeks.  For once, I'd like it to be a tad cooler.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Yeahy It's finally coming SLOWLY,- here is the forecast for the next few days:

Partly

Sunny

Hi 61°F,Lo 49°F

Thursday -

Decreasing

Clouds

Hi 73°F Lo 51°F

Friday -

Chance Showers

Hi 60°F, Lo 47°F

Saturday -

Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 80%

Hi 62°F

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Scott, I confess that spring is down here with us.  We got it right after So. Florida, but have committed to send it to So Cal next.  I think Bobby in NY is next in line.  Perhaps he could send it your way after that.

Keith

No problem, Keith.... I'd be happy to trade it in for Summer temps in the 80's

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Our party ended about Mid-January.It is and has been hot and humid for sometime.Around May,we will move into full blown thunder-dome.Next Cool breeze around December 15 if we are lucky.Kind of Micronesian.

What you look for is what is looking

OK so winter will make a brief return.  51F forecasted for a low next Monday morning.  68F for a high on Sunday afternoon.

OK so winter will make a brief return.  51F forecasted for a low next Monday morning.  68F for a high on Sunday afternoon

Oh s@#t, Ray... I guess that means We're gonna be freezing up here :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bundle up brother.

A balmy 43F here this morning.... at least its supposed to get near 70F today. (here)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Spring is arriving with a vengeance this week-end (temps in the mid-/upper-80s F).  For a limited time only.  Don't blink.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

It's Beautiful here today.... WAY higher than expected... 77f in my backyard with not a cloud in the sky  :) :)  ......

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Coloradoboi @ Apr. 07 2008,01:20)

(syersj @ Apr. 07 2008,00:52)

Spring started at least 2 months ago, if not more.

Spring doesn't start in February.

I refuse to believe it.    :P

It starts in may....  out here at least.

Sorry to hear that, it starts in Feb here (forget about the March 21st calendar stuff) after a quick winter.  You should move south if all possible.  Seriously.

As I have stated to several people...

"This is as far north as I go."

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 09 2008,10:11)

OK so winter will make a brief return.  51F forecasted for a low next Monday morning.  68F for a high on Sunday afternoon.

You know for a few of the last few years we have had an Indian Winter here, like a reverse of Indian Summer.  Warm Marchs and cool Aprils.   Kind of strange, but while I don't like the cold, I don't much care for the mid 90s either.

What is spring?  I have sort of forgotten what that is like.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

What is spring?  I have sort of forgotten what that is like.

dk

It's a waiting room for Summer, Don :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS