IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

April Weather Thread

ruskinPalms

Our little cool off had no ill effects all. We are back to a beautiful spring, due to heavy rains yesterday. All of the plants look fresh and great. It is as pretty a spring as I can remember.

Most of my plants were planted in the last 3 years, so are just getting to the last part of the sleep, creep, leap scenario.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Weather here in Port Macquarie has been very wet and cool to cold for this time of the year. Close to 200mm of rain in the last week with very little sunshine. The ground is saturated. I have placed my portable hothouse over the lipstick yesterday and started providing it heat during the night. This past summer has seen record growth in all my plants and of course keeping me busy with prunning and the like. Not looking forward to winter and only hope its dry,warm and short.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1208642972_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Here on the equator the rain continues. This is my first try with an attached graphic image. I guess it works ok. You can't really tell what it says without opening the thumbnail though.

post-188-1208700154_thumb.jpg

Edited by amazondk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The bottom has fallen out of the weather here in Perth. Winter has come early. We've gone from temps in the high 20's low 30's C to low 20's high teens now, and single digit lows, with 3 times the normal rainfall for April at 138mm. So far we've had the same amount of rainfall this year that we would normally have by the end of May.

Yesterday I covered the coconut with clear plastic tent. Now it's toasty and warm in there when the sun comes out. I'm confident it will work for the winter. It added 4C to the coconut last night.

I'm not sure what winter will bring, but the long range forecast says lots of rain. I think we'll end up with around 1000mm of rain for 2008. I wonder if the dams will overflow. I bet they won't drop water restrictions if they did.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good luck Tyrone

Very dry with blazing sun here. Temps and humidity are as near to perfect for humans as it ever gets here in FL with morning lows starting in the upper 50s with highs making it to mid 80s, all with low humidity (relatively speaking anyway).

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill and Ray,You guy's are on the dry side of the Serengeti Plain.Over here in Micronesia,we are getting some hard night rains but it is still relatively dry.Wait till June.

Don,The Amazon....Just can't get enough.

Tyrone,Perth...The Indian Ocean and Swan River.Furthest point from here in the World and all anyone could want or need.

Keith,Enjoy your last cool breeze in Cajun Country.You know what happens next.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

This year is going to have some rather large scale flooding in some parts of the region. It is still about 2 months until the rivers reach their highest level. Around here the city streets have developed holes that swallow cars in some cases. Unfortunately for the current mayor most of them will not get fixed until close to the election, if then. This will not be good for his re-election chances. Since there is very little rock in our area the streets are mostly asphalt over compacted clay. Once the asphalt starts to go craters appear soon. At least the rain keeps the temperatures down. And, the plants grow real well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ah, more of the same bi-polar weather I've grown so very at home with. Last weekend's hi temp was 98F, this past weekend we topped at 62F. Sun's back now, so we should hit 70F.

I hadn't reset my thermometer for a over a week, so somewhere in there I also experienced 44F. Watchagonnadoo.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry, You are 7 miles away from the Pacific Ocean.Would you characterize it as influenced primarily by Ocean or Continental?

Bubba - I really am more influenced by the ocean, but I've got a pipeline called the San Luis Rey River connecting me to the "Inland Empire".

I escape about half the foggy marine days that folks on the coast experience. The Royal seems to like the extra warmth.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry, That added heat may make your position very good for the Palms.It is a very interesting and hard to understand Climate for Floridians.

April has gotten as dry as I remembered it should be.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's raining again this morning and there's a cyclone up in the tropical Indian Ocean near Xmas Island. It isn't big, and it won't make landfall, but the lows to the south of us are meant to strip some of the cloud and rain from the cyclone, which will more than likely make landfall on the lower west coast of Oz. So although we are already at the point of tumbling the wettest April record in 120 yrs, another 50mm of rain from a decaying cyclone would push us up to the 190-200mm mark, which would smash the record. Temps have been rising the last few nights, and we're expecting 26-27C by the end of the week, so I'm very happy about that. I can't remember an April where I haven't needed to irrigate much. The big compensating basin at the end of my street which only fills up temporarily during the wettest part of winter has been almost full for all of April, and we're on sand here.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Beautiful here in New York now... Mid 70'sf/day, mid 50'sf/night... a little cool still, but I'll take it.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

The rainy season continues. But, that is ok, it will soon be August when a lizard fries in the shade.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More night rain here.Three nights in a row.

I have night rain too, running the sprinkler till 10pm everynight keeping the more recent planting alive.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The rainy season continues. But, that is ok, it will soon be August when a lizard fries in the shade.

dk

Lizard fries in the shade?? Is it that hot in August?

Darwin is cool.... Very pleasant to work during the day at the moment... At least we don't have sweat dripping from every orifice. Nights have been cool - less than 20 deg C, so I stop watering at night now...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

ugggh... Does anyone know where I can get a GIANT WALL to put up in the middle of the country :(

post-57-1209135165_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Great weather here in Atlanta. The flowering trees of spring have come and gone. My T. Fortunei is still in bloom though, but waning. My Bermuda Grass front yard is starting to turn green, but I haven't had to cut it yet. Back yard was cut last weekend for the first time this year. We've finally been getting decent rainfall the past couple months, but we are still in a huge deficit. We aren't allowed to water with sprinklers. Hand watering for 25 minutes three days a week is all we can do.

Temps are high 70's F pushing 80 during the day and mid 50's in the morning.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

dk

Lizard fries in the shade?? Is it that hot in August?

Darwin is cool.... Very pleasant to work during the day at the moment... At least we don't have sweat dripping from every orifice. Nights have been cool - less than 20 deg C, so I stop watering at night now...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari,

From August to about the end of October the daily high temperatures range from 38 to 40 C. This is not the hottest place on the planet, but it is pretty hot. The nights remain pretty constant though at around 24 C. Actully the lizards lie low at mid day so they do ok.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It actually rained here yesterday evening just after sunset. About 10 minutes of light to moderate rain. I swear I was not hallucinating :wacko:

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I hope you got more than I did. We got a little rain yesterday, but it barely wet the dust on the surface. Got a dad more today, but I watched the big thunderstorms dance all around us. 80% chance tomorrow, so there is still hope for a good 2 incher to come down. That would catch us up.

Hi,

We have got a really good spring weekend... last saturday i recorded a tempeture from 22.5C and yesterday almost 25C.... today and the next few day's we got some cooler days with tempetures from 15-17C and sometimes some rain... from thursday the tempetures are going too rise up again and sun shining is coming back... :)

Robbin

Southwest

humidity is setting in with rain showers last couple days, insects and frogs all buzzing. everyone is happy including the palms!

stil need a soaker...its the dry time of the year here

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

We got 1.64" of much needed rain at my house over the weekend. It's supposed to cool off a little bit the next two days. We are supposed to get down into the mid 40's F and only get up to 66F tomorrow. That doesn't bother me a bit. I don't have any plants too tender to handle that. I might have to wear a light jacket when I leave for work in the morning, which isn't so bad.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

We got 1.64" of much needed rain at my house over the weekend. It's supposed to cool off a little bit the next two days. We are supposed to get down into the mid 40's F and only get up to 66F tomorrow. That doesn't bother me a bit. I don't have any plants too tender to handle that. I might have to wear a light jacket when I leave for work in the morning, which isn't so bad.

I hear ya Steve... We're getting that same crap weather for the next couple days, only we'll probably about 4-6f colder than you... I just picked up my huge Phoneix Canariensis over the w/e and now I'm nervous about it seeing temps in the high 30's - although It's supposed to be pretty windy so I don't think I'll get any frost.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

It has tried to rain here a couple of times today but no such luck. The tail end of a weak cold front is moving through the area tonight. Promises to be around 80F or higher tomorrow with very low humidity and wind. Fire weather. Patches of my already crappy grass have died from the rather dry weather combined with very intense sun. But, it has been beautiful weather for humans. Lots of latent freeze and dessication damage from winter has really started to show due to the low humidity and intense sun of the past couple of weeks.

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

It has tried to rain here a couple of times today but no such luck. The tail end of a weak cold front is moving through the area tonight. Promises to be around 80F or higher tomorrow with very low humidity and wind. Fire weather. Patches of my already crappy grass have died from the rather dry weather combined with very intense sun. But, it has been beautiful weather for humans. Lots of latent freeze and dessication damage from winter has really started to show due to the low humidity and intense sun of the past couple of weeks.

Same here. We got a little rain with the front when it came through, maybe a half inch or a litte more, but not enough. Most of the palms still look like poop. Even worse here, because I fertilized too late and the dry spring season kicked in without sufficient rainfall, so I have some fert burn going on as well. All will be fine once the rainy season kicks in.

Tonight's forcast has deteriorated. It's now predicted to get to 37F tonight on weather.com. It only got to 62F today. Tomorrow should be better. It is supposed to get to 75F. That will be impressive if we get a 40F change from the morning low to the afternoon high. That doesn't happen very often around here. Those kind of swings seem more common out west where they have dry air. That leads me to believe the humidity will be very low here tomorrow.

After tomorrow morning, the rest of the week should be great. Lows of 50-60F and highs near 80F.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Down here in Jacksonville the temps are supposed to get down to 42 which will set a record low. There's been quite a few record lows for Jax this season. I don't know if the hardiness zones have adjusted at all this year but with Jax being listed as 9A, the last two winter seasons has averaged us more like 8B.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Our morning low was 38F in my yard. That ties the record low shown on weather.com. It's warming up in a hurry though. It's already about 50F. There was no frost this morning. I brought my wife's tomato plants into the garage last night just in case, but I guess I didn't need to.

Logolight / Bobby,

I'm curious how cool Jax and Long Island got. I think we got colder than Long Island.

Edited by Steve

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

We had our wettest April since records began in the 1880's. 154mm of rain and the average is around 40mm. May is meant to be average as far as rainfall is concerned so we should expect around 120mm. A bit cold this morning though. It dropped down to 7C. Still my coconut enclosure held my Dwarf Malay at 11C. He's still growing. :)

regards

Tyrone

Record low today in Houston of 46F. Previous record of 51F in 1996.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Record low today in Houston of 46F. Previous record of 51F in 1996.

Steve

We were 48, 1 degree off of the record of 47. Back to 65 low tonight.

For my jungle----Final stats for April 2008

FreeWX monthly summary for April 2008

There are 30 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 April to 30 April.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +86.7 °F at 15:27:00 on 04 April

Minimum temperature: +49.1 °F at 05:58:00 on 16 April

Maximum humidity: 100 % at 07:56:00 on 10 April

Minimum humidity: 25 % at 17:16:00 on 16 April

Maximum dew point: +75.6 °F at 14:18:00 on 03 April

Minimum dew point: +28.6 °F at 07:35:00 on 16 April

Minimum wind chill: +39.2 °F at 08:22:00 on 15 April

Maximum heat index: +88 °F at 15:27:00 on 04 April

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.18 In.Hg at 01:02:00 on 17 April

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.82 In.Hg at 05:47:00 on 22 April

Maximum wind gust: 36.5 MPH from 7° at 16:03:00 on 06 April

Maximum indoor temperature: +79.2 °F at 17:54:00 on 17 April

Minimum indoor temperature: +70.5 °F at 07:58:00 on 16 April

Averages

Average temperature: +71.5 °F

Average maximum temperature: +80.8 °F

Average minimum temperature: +62.3 °F

Average humidity: 63 %

Average maximum humidity: 87 %

Average minimum humidity: 38 %

Average dew point: +55.9 °F

Average maximum dew point: +62.8 °F

Average minimum dew point: +49 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +58.9 °F

Average maximum heat index: +81.4 °F

Average barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.6 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.3 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +73.9 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

1st April - (0.12 In.)

5th April - (0.36 In.)

6th April - (4.86 In.)

13th April - (0.04 In.)

27th April - (0.08 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 5

Maximum rainfall rate: 38.39 In./hour at 12:19:00 on 06 April

Total rainfall for April: 5.46 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 16 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 198°

Edited by spockvr6

Larry