IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricanes - 2008 / Atlantic Ocean

Cristóbal

hello friends in south east united states, i find the first forecast for hurricanes for this year here:

hurricanes atlantic 2008

la niña is  strong and for this theres good chances of 2008 to have high activity of hurricanes in atlantic.

and heres the names also for 2008:

2008 Tropical Storm Names & 2008 Hurricane Names

Arthur Bertha Cristobal Dolly Edouard Fay Gustav Hanna Ike Josephine Kyle Laura Marco Nana Omar Paloma Rene Sally Teddy Vicky Wilfred

mmmmmm my names there i promise you bubba not to visit you in florida !   :P

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristobal,

They have predicted HIGH activity  for the last TWO years.They have been WRONG for the last TWO years,  fairly LOW activity.

I guess if they keep GUESSING high activity ,they are bound to be RIGHT sooner or later! :laugh:

Predicting hurricanes  6 months in advance is definately not SCEINCE! :;):

Bottom line it will be, what it will be,regardless of predictions! :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Let's HOPE they are WRONG for ALL of our SAKES!!!!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I definitely pray they are wrong.  But there's some bad news on the website, which indicates LN could last thru early summer:  "A La Niña usually results in lower wind shear across the North Atlantic"   We had fewer landfalls last summer due to the nearly constant shear (with a little help from Saharan dust).  The activity was above-normal, but seemed otherwise since the storms tended to fall apart before pounding some poor coastal community.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Mar. 21 2008,20:24)

I definitely pray they are wrong.  

Seriously, have they ever been right?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(Cristóbal @ Mar. 20 2008,13:33)

mmmmmm my names there i promise you bubba not to visit you in florida !   :P

Careful Cristobal,

Don't make promised you can't keep.

And whatever the h&*^ you do, don't come to Louisiana.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this is the forecast for 2008 in the page:

The Forecast

Named Tropical Cyclones: 16-18

Hurricanes: 8-10

Major Hurricanes: 3-4

we can look at this in november and see if its good.

i hope for you all you in the south east it is 0 for this year. yes its bad for the palms but thats not important if the house, car, work  is destroyed.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

Reading a book at this time on the 1928 Hurricane that hit the Palm Beach area and moved over Lake Okeechobee thereafter titled"Black Cloud".I also heard alot of stories about this Hurricane from my Grandfather,who lived through it.If one of those hits again anytime soon ,it's Katie bar the door.This book tells me to pay special attention to the Seminole Indians as well as Blooming Sawgrass in the Glades among some other interesting tidbits.We shall see.

What you look for is what is looking

I would only worry when "they" say that we should expect a quiet year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

predicting few or low numbers of hurricanes does not sell anything, and lets face it,  everybody is selling something.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

They are selling something alright.  I've got four letter words that descibe it perfectly.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

I would expect a more normal season. I'll take a stab at 3 storms hitting the mainland US; 1 a cat3.

Here around PSL, it unusual for us to catch one.

I'm gonna go with no storms hitting Florida... I just put stabilized gas in my generator for the season and renewed my wind policy... That is a guarantee there will be no storms :blush:

• 4 months later...

OK TODAYS 7 SEPTEMBER AND WE LOOK NOW AT FIRST FORECAST I PUT 20 MARCH:

The Forecast

Named Tropical Cyclones: 16-18

Hurricanes: 8-10

Major Hurricanes: 3-4

Were now with Hurricane Ike - this is 9 storms in Atlantic in this year.

And for east Pacific, were now with tropical storm Lowell - 12 storms in this year.

The good thing of the many hurricanes and tropical storms in east Pacific is almost all go west away from land most people dont know in most years theres more storms in east Pacific then in Atlantic.

Cristobal, I remember Cristobal and it was one that did not threaten us I think.I am glad you did this thread and the predictions will be interesting to see "after".Kind of...September is the worst.

What you look for is what is looking

We have had 10 named storms in the Atlantic so far this year. Josephine formed around the same time as Ike. TS Josephine dissipated quickly out in the Atlantic.

This has turned out to be a very,very active season. Way above normal. :rage:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.