IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California Spring Weather

osideterry

I wondering if warm weather will ever arrive in N. Calif. Here it is April 24th and a white frost on the roof tops. It's not a killing frost, but nether the less, a frost. It is supposed to start warming up today and I hope this is the last of the frosts.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Me too. I've had quite a few mornings in the 8-10C (46-50F) range lately. I think I only had one night all month below 10C last April...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Yeah, I was watching the big fire from my deck on Saturday night, and you can smell the smoke in the air. It's been 35C+ and dry the past couple days, so perfect fire weather. This whole spring, it seems like it's either scorching hot or freezing cold, never "nice"...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I was 95F on Saturday and 97F on Sunday. Wheywwwwwwww it's been a scorcher! 97F is the hottest I got last summer...and it's only April! Decided it's time to plant out the Delonix regia. I hope it dosen't get cold again. Last years spring fooled me and I lost my first attempt at a Delonix due to cool weather before it got established.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta and perfect weather, to discover my sensor recorded 102.6F over the weekend. That's under my deck in full shade. Glad I added another day to my clock's irrigation schedule last week.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Global warming is BS! After a few nice warm days and warmer nights, it's 46F in Walnut Creek this morning. A weak trough passed through yesterday, was windy and brought the temps. down. I'm sick of these frigid nights.

Dick

Richard Douglas

This April has been one of the most topsy-turvy, temperature wise, that I can remember here in the Bay Area. 90s one day, then 60s the next over and over again. Night time lows in the upper 50s one night, then low 40s the next. Lots of wind on the cool days and nights too. Despite it all, my Cocos, bottle palms, and other tender plants that I've had outside since last month have been putting out growth and virtually all of my planted palms are growing steadily; even the Bismarckias have opened new leaves.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Just looked on weatherunderground.com, and realized we've had no measurable rain since February!

On the bright side, the season total for Oceanside from July-February was 10.9", about average. Many of the storms this Winter passed North of San Diego though, leaving them at a total of only 7".

I agree with Jim, as the weather has been weird in N. Calif. The pundits may expose global warming, but that has certainly not been the case in N. Calif. Only in the past week have my minimums at night crawled above 50F. We have had very little warm weather above 80 F, and only that for a couple of days. Some of the palms such at the Trachycarpus have begun to grow, but my Rhapis are still in winter mode and that means no growth. If this trend continues, we will have a very mild summer. El Nina is still present here. With below normal winter rains, they are talking about water conservation up here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Just looked on weatherunderground.com, and realized we've had no measurable rain since February!

On the bright side, the season total for Oceanside from July-February was 10.9", about average. Many of the storms this Winter passed North of San Diego though, leaving them at a total of only 7".

7, 8 inchs rain is the normal for san diego but average of all years is 9.90 this because of el niño rains every 5 years

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Keep those palms hydrated...The following is a weather warning:

"..ANOTHER HOT SPELL WITH NEAR RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES THURSDAY

THROUGH FRIDAY...

UPPER LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE DEVELOPING OVER THE WESTERN STATES WILL

BRING NEAR RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES TO SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA

THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. THERE WILL ALSO BE LOCALLY GUSTY NORTHEAST

WINDS BELOW CANYONS AND PASSES.

HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL PEAK IN THE LOWER 80S TO LOWER 90S

AT THE COAST...IN THE 90S TO LOWER 100S IN THE VALLEYS AND UPPER

DESERTS...AND 100-103 IN THE LOWER DESERTS."

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

more hot weather, this happening every two weeks from march to this month ! :unsure:

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

NORTHERN CALIF. HEAT WAVE

We are in the midst of a heat wave in N. Calif. This morning at daylight my minimum temp. is 71F (22C). This is the highest minimum I've ever seen. In past heat waves the night temps. have always fallen to the 60's. Today is forcast to be 100+F (38+C). Knowing this was on the way, I've been watering for the past 3 days and things are well soaked. All potted plants will get a good watering again this morning. The minimum in San Francisco this morning is also 71F. That's warmer than their usual high.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Looks like anther warm day for the north coast of California today, Humboldt county will likely see triple digits away from the coast. Here's some blooming Echium growing in front of our library here in Eureka. 40N. Lat--10a/9bEchiuminEurekaapril232008015.jpg

Whoa!!!! Cool Echium. I didn't know they got that big!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

100 in Berkeley today. Amazing.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The temp. hit 99F (37.5C) in Walnut Creek yesterday, but there was a nice breeze most of the day and that kept it from going higher. The minimum is 71F here again this morning. I'm expecting another scortcher today. The palms have exploded with growth, even a new spear opening on my D. dicipens.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I was 95F on Saturday and 97F on Sunday. Wheywwwwwwww it's been a scorcher! 97F is the hottest I got last summer...and it's only April! Decided it's time to plant out the Delonix regia. I hope it dosen't get cold again. Last years spring fooled me and I lost my first attempt at a Delonix due to cool weather before it got established.

Cool, Matt. How big was the one you put out last year and this year? Have you seen the rather large (for here) delonix down near PETCO? It was in flower last year. Someone took a picture but I couldn't remember who it was. :huh:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The bipolar nature of our weather never fails to amaze me. Our current Spring pattern is 2 weeks with highs in the 60s, then 3 days with highs in the 90s, then back to the 60s. This onshore/offshore toggle switch means either hi temp/low humidity or low temp/moderate humidity, and maybe a 1-2 day transition in between.

It keeps you constantly on-guard and off-balance trying to determine how much to water between heat spells. As long as I keep them watered they love the heat, and seem to push new growth.

I took the day off to catch up on yard work, but it's just too hot. So I made this chart. It shows the O'side high temp for the past 47 days. No wonder it feels like a rollercoaster, and my sinuses are always goofed up.

It's hard to tell on the chart, but more than half the days never reached 70F.

post-662-1210971743_thumb.jpg

Eureka, I remember reading that the Highest temperature ever recorded in Eureka was 87F.Beautiful spot.

What you look for is what is looking

Matt,

I see you are a new member to PalmTalk......Welcome aboard. I understand the climate in Eureka is very similar to that in San Francisco, except you get much more rain in the winter. I'm curious to know what your minimum temps. have been the last two winters, and what kinds of palms grow in Eureka. Are there any unusual palms growing there?

Dick

Richard Douglas

HOT, HOT, HOT! This string of 90S to 102F has got my heat loving palm species singing. I'm keeping an eye on the cooler climate lovers like Howea, Rhopalostylis, etc, though. This is the first time my Roystonea borenquena has put out a two new spears at the same time and my kings are going wild. Night time lows have been in the 70s but so far all my Parajubaeas don't seem to mind that kind of heat. It will surely cool off in a couple of days.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Hi Jim,

Today in Walnut Creek was only suppose to reach 95F, but at 2 PM it's already 104F and climbing. This is the earliest heat wave of this magnitude that I can remember. No heat damage showing here yet, but that could show up later. Patrick Schafer is here today pollinating the first Butia yata to flower of the year. (Actually cleaning off all the male flowers). We had a garden walk, and I'm soaking with sweat.

We had a very chilly spring and most of the cocoid palms are about a month behind in their blooming schedule. I expect this heat will get them blooming soon, and that will show up in a week or two. I'm retiring to my A/C house for the rest of the afternoon, and to heck with the garden.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Eureka, I remember reading that the Highest temperature ever recorded in Eureka was 87F.Beautiful spot.

Yes, but the micro climates in Humboldt can be very diverse.....the past three days have been a good example. Just a half mile away from down town temps hit 90F in Eureka, and today my yard temp was 88F. But the foggy cool down will come in a day or two for the immediate Humboldt coast. And Eureka has many examples of old Phoenix, Cordylines, tree ferns, and some nice Washingtonias too. Here's a Phoenix hybrid in Eureka. One from my Eureka palm archieves. Enjoy.DSCN6922.jpg

Yes, but the micro climates in Humboldt can be very diverse.....the past three days have been a good example. Just a half mile away from down town temps hit 90F in Eureka, and today my yard temp was 88F. But the foggy cool down will come in a day or two for the immediate Humboldt coast. And Eureka has many examples of old Phoenix, Cordylines, tree ferns, and some nice Washingtonias too. Here's a Phoenix hybrid in Eureka. One from my Eureka palm archieves. Enjoy.DSCN6922.jpg

And yet another old beauty in Eureka.......however, these big guns are not over stocked here in the city limits. I believe 4 dozen old Phoenix can be found in the city limits of Eureka, but many more live around the Humboldt bay region. Enjoy. DSCN7476-1.jpg

After about two weeks of super warm weather, my minimum slipped to 49F (9.5C) last night. This is after many nights in the 60s and a couple of nights with 70F as a minimum. In a "normal" spring every night would be in the mid 50's to mid 60's, and the days would be in the 90's. Terry, I know what you mean by "bipolar weather."

Dick

Richard Douglas

It is 57f and raining here right now...... what is UP with THAT?????

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Wow... and this afternoon a tormado touched down near March Air Field.... 3 miles from my house!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Same here. This is cold by January standards. :angry:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Last weekend I was sweltering in 100+ (38C+) heat, and this weekend it looks and feels like winter again. It's drizzling right now and it's 54F (12.5C).

There is a huge low pressure that should be moving east, but it's backed up on the West Coast. Parts of S. Calif. got a lot of rain, and Phoenix AZ, which should be sizzling was in the 50's yesterday, and 1 foot of snow forcast for the Arizona mountains and the Sierras. There were some tornados in S. Cal. yesterday which is very unusual. This is all very weird.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Like Dick said, it's dark cool and moist today and likely through the weekend. What a contrast to last week's sweltering hot weather! Measurable rain would be nice though. We haven't had any REAL rain since February.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I would really like to see some rain from this system. It's just unpleasant and dark now, and just around 61 F where I am. We got a sprinkle about an hour ago, but that's it. How often do we have a low track from west to east over California, head out into Arizona and then track northeast back across California? This is weird. You'd figure the airmass would warm up as it went east and then back to the west.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

We've had intermittent rain showers since last night. Not a lot of rain, but enough to wet it down pretty well. My kids want to go swimming....NOT ME!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.