IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Blizzard of 08'

JakeK

We are currently in the middle of a snow storm that's has dropped our highest snowfall in several years in about 24hrs. I have at least 11" on my deck with another 3-4 inches still to fall. People in Cincinnati should be mowing their lawns now, not digging out of white death. Even the Bockfest parade was canceled.

P1010162_edited.jpg

P1010156_edited.jpg

P1010160_edited.jpg

P1010164_edited.jpg

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I knew there was a reason why I don't live in OHIO!

Your pics taken March  clearly shows why. :;):

Good luck digging out,I feel for you!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

better you than me , stay warm bud!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

As the old saying goes, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."  

You need a good vacation.  Think Corona Beer commercial.  Go for it.  Buy those tickets.   Put on a little Jimmy Buffet while you are waiting in the airport.  Scroll thru Dave from SoCals pictures.  Ken will start the water boiling for those dinner claws.  Jeff will sell you a little souvenir to take home for you to stare at over the next few years as you contemplate the permanent move.  Just when you think you are ready, you will find out that Bo has been secretly scheming with your wife.  She gives a surprise vacation to Hawaii.   While there you look at this little vacation home hide away at Leilani Estates.   You realize that you have fallen into a carefully orchestrated trap.  You were hooked the day you innocently bought that Majesty Palm at the big box a decade ago.   Remember when you reached down to get that palm and your felt the tiniest little prick.  You though it was a little spine on the palm.  It wasn't.  Once that first little needle hit your arm the rest was inevitable.   Even now, behind your back your friends point at you in parties and whisper to each other "Ooooh that smell Can't you smell that smell Ooooh that smell The smell of palms surrounds you ."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

THAT GLOBAL WARMING WILL DO IT ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Actually i heard on the radio yesterday that the past winter in the norhern hemisphere has wiped out the warming trend of the past few years.

Must have been all the carbon credits offsets AG sold.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

(Cycadcenter @ Mar. 08 2008,13:35)

THAT GLOBAL WARMING WILL DO IT ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Actually i heard on the radio yesterday that the past winter in the norhern hemisphere has wiped out the warming trend of the past few years.

Must have been all the carbon credits offsets AG sold.

Bruce

The articles I have heard quoted, said the cooling this year wiped out the warming of the LAST 100 YEARS, and that again we should begin to worry about global cooling.

As for me, I am worried that I forgot to take out the trash last night.  :)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Final snow total is 14.5" in a very sheltered spot away from the drifts.

Keith, I do need a good vacation and the big move has been in the works ever since I started working at that huge consumer goods corporation HQ'ed in Cincinnati. I could very easily wind up in Singapore or someplace like that in the coming years.

Jake, sorry to hear you are getting hit so late in the winter.  I remember the blizzard of 93 very well (I believe that was also in March).  I was living in Pennsylvania at the time and after it stopped snowing I couldn't find my car, it was completely covered in snow and I had to dig it out.  Then later when the snow had melted and frozen again on the roads, my car skidded out of control and I ended up broadside in a huge snow-drift.  That was the last straw for me and I moved to FL at the beginning of the following winter.  Of course after I moved the winters became more mild, but I still found the Northeast to be very depressing in the winter and was glad I had made the move.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(Jeff in Costa Rica @ Mar. 08 2008,17:06)

Jake, sorry to hear you are getting hit so late in the winter.  I remember the blizzard of 93 very well (I believe that was also in March).  I was living in Pennsylvania at the time and after it stopped snowing I couldn't find my car, it was completely covered in snow and I had to dig it out.  Then later when the snow had melted and frozen again on the roads, my car skidded out of control and I ended up broadside in a huge snow-drift.  That was the last straw for me and I moved to FL at the beginning of the following winter.  Of course after I moved the winters became more mild, but I still found the Northeast to be very depressing in the winter and was glad I had made the move.

Jeff,

Despite this snowfall coming in March when the honeysuckle should be leafing out and the pears blooming, I really don't mind it. Everything comes to a halt and time seems to really slow down, plus when you get this much snow it really is beautiful. It those minor snowfalls of 2 and 3 inches that really are a nuisance and inconvenience.

In actuality, Cincinnati doesn't receive much snow annually, usually around 10 inches for the entire year. Most days it's grey and rainy.

Jake!

Sin City doesn't get that much snow, most of the time.  It's almost the South down there.

I mean, they even have Red Cedars and Mockingbirds!  :o

Neither species ever went near Cleavagetown, where I'm from.  Near the shores of Gitchee Goomee, or, at least downstream.  We got snow, but, the people in Buffalo called us a bunch of wussies because we only got six feet of snow and complained while they silently withstood thirty-six feet.

On the other hand, a vacation is indicated.  Come to Cali and visit.  Set a spell, leave your shoes on.  Pick some seed from the King of the Death Camp Archontophoenix.  

Attend a Palm Society meeting.  Swoon over the garden of Louis Hooper.

That said, the snow is beautiful.  

But, a landscape without it, to me, more so.

Thanks for sharing, and if you get posted to Singapore, I order you to take pics and post in abundance. . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wait!

Aw, hell, March ain't diddly.

I remember in the 1980s in [obscene gerund] MAY when we got a foot or so, I was so pissed, I kicked a wolverine . . .

Well, exaggerating about the wolverine.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

You're right about Cincy being almost the south. Heck, robins aren't even migratory here which tells you the ground doesn't freeze very often since they eat worms. If you drive 15 miles in any direction from downtown everyone has a twang in their voice while Cincinnatians don't have much of an accent at all.

Next year is when I'll have more vacation time and I do plan on making it out th Cali next year hopefully. This year, I'll be hiking in Peru.

HOLY CRAP, Jake..... I heard about that snow.. We got the same storm but, at 50f, it was all rain here.... I haven't seen snow like that in years....  Makes my area seem tropical.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

You call that a snowstorm??

Oh puhleeze!

p319007712ii8.jpg

My patio (which is covered with an awning during the summer)

p319007212we3.jpg

A foot of new snow.  This happened about 4 times in a row.  I would do all of the shoveling, and I would wake up the next morning to another foot of snow!

p319008012jj3.jpg

This last shot was taken at my parent's house.  My father is 6'3.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Oh, and about the whole global warming thing...

Just because we have had one year that is a bit colder than usual does not mean that the earth is cooling.  Look at overall averages, and you will see that the earth is warming.

Still, It doesn't hurt to conserve, does it?

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Scott,

One big difference between your photos and mine is that Cincinnati only sees a snowfall this size once a decade. In one snowfall we accumulated 100% of our annual snowfall, albeit in March when we should be mowing our lawns. Your snow makes for great skiing, my snow makes one hellacious nuisance. Cincinnati is very much a southern city when it comes to winter. Let's just say 3 inches can paralyze the city.

Here is what winter looks like where I live.  It is a bit different.

24102007649-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here is what winter looks like where I live.  It is a bit different.

Go ahead... Rub it in, Don :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

I could not resist.  I do like the pictures of the snow storms though.  We have had plenty of cloudy days here lately as it has rained so much.  But, the sun does come out most every day.  And, the plants sure do grow fast with all the humidity and water.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg