IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ying/Yang

bubba

Much discussion about warm Non-Tropical area's on the Board.How about those area's that are technically tropical(ie below 23 degrees Latitude North/South)that experience colder than expected temperatures.This,of course,requires Sea Level.

My surprise nominee is Hong Kong,located at 22 degrees 15 minutes.Notwithstanding this Tropical location,32F.is the recorded low.(Freezing in the Tropics?)The average temperature in Jan. is 60.5F.The average temperature of the Ocean is 63F. during the month of Jan.Any other likekind examples?

What you look for is what is looking

On the hills around Hong Kong, particularly in the New Territories, frost isn't that uncommon in the winter months.  Many plants from Hong Kong show a surprising degree of cold hardiness.

Other tropical locations that are cooler than expected are ones that are near or in cold ocean currents.  One example is St. Helena Island in the south Atlantic (which never freezes but is pretty cool for being 16 deg. S).  I grow two plants from this island outdoors in the SF bay area, which is decidedly non-tropical.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

lima perú 12 S.

Enero a marzo: 21 - 29 °C (70 - 84 °F).

Abril a junio: 17 - 27 °C (63 - 81 °F).

Julio a septiembre: 15 - 19 °C (59 - 66 °F).

Octubre a diciembre: 16 - 24 °C (61 - 75 °F).

very cool in winter

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

More research- Tampico,Mexico-22degrees 13 minutes;Freeze in 1895 together with snow.

New Leader-Beihai,China-21degrees 13 minutes;Freeze and snow in 1654!

Cristobal,What is the elevation of Lima?

Wow, Bubba, really interesting facts about tropical China. I thought Florida was the only tropical/subtropical place plauged by arctic blasts. I guess it makes sense that places in China would be susceptible because of all the Asian continental mass to the NW.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

hi bubba, limas on the pacific ocean. its cold there at 12 S for the ocean current comes direct from antartidica.

hi ruskin palms, texas has more problems of cold from the arctic then florida, 12 degrees in brownsville once and 15, 17 and many times in 20s in the last centruy, it is of the same latitude of miami !

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

(bubba @ Mar. 05 2008,06:07)

Cristobal,What is the elevation of Lima?

City            Latitude     Longitude  

Lima, Peru  12  0 S      77  2 W

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Lima is very cold for sea level that close to the Equator.What kind of palms do they grow?

(bubba @ Mar. 05 2008,17:15)

Lima is very cold for sea level that close to the Equator.What kind of palms do they grow?

i find some fotos of lima, heres roystonea

lima perú

More research-Tampico,Mexico- Latitude-22 degrees 13 minutes-lowest temperature-27F.

Soto La Marina- Latitude 23 degrees 8 minutes-lowest temperature-21F.

Cristobal beat me to it!  As soon as I saw the question, Lima was the first place I thought of.  My mom went on an Ecotour to Machu Pichu and the rainforest near Iquitos, and they started off in Lima.  I became very intrigued by that city when I learned how cool and dry it was (though frequently cloudy) for a tropical location.  However, I don't think they get much COLD, just less heat.  The pictures she took reminded me of California, in summer mornings with the marine layer.

China also intruiges me, because of its continental influences.  Shanghai (though not tropical at 31 degrees) has a HIGH of only 45 in January, which seems really cold compared to places on the east coast here at that latitude.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

There are quite a few locations around the globe the lie in the tropics at sea level and are quite cool. Lima, was already mentioned, Walvis Bay and the whole skeleton coast in Namibia is another.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

La Paz,Mexico-Latitude-24 degrees 4 minutes North- .6c/31F.

Macao-Latitude-22.1 North-Elevation 114ft.--1.8c/29F.

OK, this is not very specific, but looking at the weather maps, I frequently see sub-zero temperatures in northern Africa at latitudes well into what would be classed as tropical.  Also the areas that see 0-5°C/32-41°F, extend many degrees further towards the equator.  Admittedly, this won't all be at sea level, but some of this area is relatively flat and not high altitude.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Walvis Bay Airport-Latitude-22 Degrees 9 minutes-0c/32f.

Jose Marti Airport Havana Rancho Boyero ,Cuba-Latitude-22 degrees 59 minutes;elevation-200feet-0c/32F.

Ascuncion,Paraguay-Latitude-25 degrees 26 minutes;elevation 180 feet;-1.7c/29F.

It got damn cold around here last winter . Many nights down to 6c and for a lot longer than normal .  :angry:

Many large Lipsticks carked it , as well as tons of Heliconias at a mates just up the road .

I am a good 1000 k north of the tropic of Capricorn .

Have been talking to german nurseryman down near the beach , and he has had some very cold winters that killed large Breadfruit trees several years ago .

I am 18 deg S ..

Looking foward to a warmer winter this year .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Taipai ,Tawan-Latitude-25.03;Elevation-30 feet;-0.2/32

Ciuadad Victoria,Mexico-Latitude-23.72;Elevation-780 feet;-6.1C/21F.

I have been to Lima a few times.  It virtually never rains there, but during a lot of the time it is foggy.  The Humboldt current running up Western South America is very cold and creates the desert conditions running north from Chile into Peru.  On the east coast of South America there is also a cold current, although less cold, running up as far as the state of Espirito Santo in Brazil.  Although Sao Paulo is about 1000 meters above sea level it is quite close to the ocean, about 100kms.  When the wind changes and comes up from the ocean over the coastal range the temperatures drop quickly and the weather turns into a replica of San Francisco in the summer, a cold damp mist and fog.  Although temperatures get to near 0 C sometimes in Sao Paulo on the coast they never approach freezing.  But, the water can be quite cool.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don,I have Sao Paulo,Brazil at 22.15 South Latitude and a record low of -3.9C/25F.

Bubba,

That sounds about right.  I used to have some long underwear that I brought from Montana when I lived there.  In the winter your home can get brutally cold.  There is no heat and the exterior and exterior walls are made of brick.  So, once it cools down it stays there.  The longjohns made things more bearable.  It frequently gets down to 10 C and from time to time to around 3 or 4.  I am sure the negative 0 was a very rare event.  But, I did see it at 2 C in 1991.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, This comes from the Extreme Weather website that has data back to 1850.

hi bubba, can you put the link for the extreme weather web page ?

thanks

Cristobal,The website can simply be found by Googling-Extreme Temperatures around the world.Contains weather information dating back to 1850.