IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Weather Thread

_Keith

Started at 49.1F this morning then made it back up to 86.7F - that's about a 37 degree swing in temperature which is a lot for this area!  Overall beautiful weather. Summer is brewing so we should enjoy these cooler mornings and nice, warm afternoons with low humidity while they're here.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

It's been really dry so far this year.  Check this out:

Rain in Wai`anae Elevation 300'

I began to rain about 1 hour ago heavy.  Right now after 56 minutes the rain guage says -----  1.54".

Lucky I have been terracing or w/it coming down so hard much will just run away and not get down to the roots.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

(ruskinPalms @ Mar. 21 2008,19:13)

Started at 49.1F this morning then made it back up to 86.7F - that's about a 37 degree swing in temperature which is a lot for this area!  Overall beautiful weather. Summer is brewing so we should enjoy these cooler mornings and nice, warm afternoons with low humidity while they're here.

Well hot dang Bill!  That is a big swing.

It wasnt quite as warm over in my yard today and the swing, although larger than normal, was smaller  than you experienced (54.1F to 81.5F).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

55F low this morning and made it to 82F this afternoon.  The weekly rains have been great too.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

We have been running about 50 in the mornings, mid to upper 70's afternoons, blue skies, and an occaisional small high cloud.  Let me translate, weather = perfect.   I could stay out 24 hours a day.  Even the pinched nerve in my back, which is trying to wreck my spring, can't take away the pure joy of these days.  

It is tradition here, even with our 60 inches of rain a year, to have a drought in the spring.  Sometime we can make a couple of months with as little as a 1/2 inch of rain.  Looks like we are swinging into that now.  No rain in last week to speak of, and non on forecast.  I will actually have to water a few of the newer plantings tomorrow.  Of course, I will take time out for our traditional "Holy Saturday Crawfish Boil."  You Cat-licks will know what I mean.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(keiththibodeaux @ Mar. 21 2008,21:24)

Of course, I will take time out for our traditional "Holy Saturday Crawfish Boil."  You Cat-licks will know what I mean.

Keith-

Although I am not a seafood eater, I stil love that southern Louisiana bayou type atmopshere!  

I recall driving through there many moons ago and stopping at a rest area.  While entering the bathroom I was greeted by a friendly sort who was attempting to say hello.  But, it was in such a thick Cajun accent, that it took this formerly from Maine boy (where accents can be thick as well) literally 10 minutes to figure out that he said, "How yall gents doing this evening"!

Larry 

I'm so jealous of you guys.... Still crappy as hell up here... Around 50f/day, mid 30'sf/night... Looks like a decent warm-up will start next week though.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Crawfish  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I remember standing around the table grinding them down fresh out of the pot when I visited my daughter in Baton Rouge.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Since that last cold deal, it's been getting warmer every day. High in the mid 70s yesterday and continuing through Thursday. Lows still in the upper 40s.

Hope you guys don't mind me dropping in. Maybe we don't need a California thread unless it's a unique weather topic or occurrence.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry,

Glad to hear it is  finally warming UP out there!

Drop by anytime,the board,as well as this thread is for everyone! :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

It sure is for everyone Terry, glad to have you.  We descended on the old family country home (no one has lived there in several generations) for the family crawfish boil.  The weather was perfect again.  I looked up with a little thanks and the view said spring.

post-1207-1206238425_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The old place was sitting, just waiting, no begging for someone to come.

post-1207-1206238514_thumb.jpg

And they did, 3 generations in all.

post-1207-1206238603_thumb.jpg

And the crawfish arrived as well.

post-1207-1206238739_thumb.jpg

And the old place felt youth and love all around it yet one more time.

post-1207-1206239016_thumb.jpg

And finally we left the old place, with the sun setting, to face the night alone.

post-1207-1206239111_thumb.jpg

Except for nature, where nothing is ever alone.

post-1207-1206239226_thumb.jpg

Keith,

That looks like a great day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Keith, Thank you for the great shots.Did you get a chance to cook up some of those Bugs Cajun style. You didn't buy them from some guy in Palmetto,La.did you?

What you look for is what is looking

Did anyone in north and central FL notice that it is supposed to be colder than a witch's tit for the next couple of days ??? NOAA is forcasting a low of 40F here for monday night/tuesday morning... I doubt it will be a record low though. The record is 34F in 1968. The cold should be pretty short lived and then back to spring :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill, I noticed. tommorow forcasted 64/35 here and 68/40 tuesday.

they issued a freeze watch late monday night/tues morning :angry:

then back to high 70s and low 80's and mid 50's at night for the rest of the 10-days :)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I had not check the forecast in a few days, but noticed today it seemed to be cooling off all day rather than the other way around.  Only project to get down to 42 tomorrow night, but that is chilly.  Fortunately also projected back into the 80s by Wednesday.   Almost every single palm here has one or two new fronds coming.  I would hate for anything to set them back.

Made it down to 43.7F this morning. Pretty chilly, but with the higher sun angle of late March, it should turn out to be spectacular day :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Pretty much the same here, give or take a couple of degrees.  Today is gonna be marvelous, simply marvelous.

But, it is hard to believe I am out watering already.  Just the new stuff, but the rains turned off like a light switch a couple weeks ago.  

Note to Michael - Did you guys finally dry up over in Houston?  I know you were about to float away a couple of weeks ago.

Heard it was supposed to have gotten to 22 in Tallahassee last night/this morning.

Anybody get below freezing?

Down to around 50F in Pompano Beach this morning. Decidedly cool, but tolerable.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

The winds shifted NE in the very late evening/very early AM and the temp dropped from around 60F to a low of 44.8F at 730AM.

If these winds would just stay in the direction and intensity that I tell them to.......

Larry 

my meter bottomed out at 34 degrees.

cold basin airport hit 26! wow

my experimental $25 mini coldframe greenhouse bottomed out at 37.2. :)

Luke

63" rain annually

I hit 87F Sunday, and 80F yesterday. Lows in the high 40s.

Marine layer is back, but burned off by 9am. A week ago I was crying about my 36F morning. Spring - finally.

(osideterry @ Mar. 25 2008,17:34)

I hit 87F Sunday, and 80F yesterday. Lows in the high 40s.

Marine layer is back, but burned off by 9am. A week ago I was crying about my 36F morning. Spring - finally.

87 is pretty warm for you, isn't it?

Keith - Two oversimplify, we have two kinds of weather. Onshore flow and offshore flow. An onshore flow is marine dominated with very temperate temps. An offshore flow is continental dominated (Santa Ana winds usually) gives us 40F daily swings. If your low is 47F, then your high gets to be 87F. I've seen 30s and 80s in the same day a few times. It's rough on the allergies.

we had a 40 degree swing today. high of 66 low reported 26. tommrow will be another 40 degree swing. low 35 high forcasted at 75.

the dewpoints have been in the teens, low humidty and dry air. only another day of this.

soon this High pressure system will be gone and back to 80/55.

Luke

63" rain annually

(osideterry @ Mar. 25 2008,19:27)

Keith - Two oversimplify, we have two kinds of weather. Onshore flow and offshore flow. An onshore flow is marine dominated with very temperate temps. An offshore flow is continental dominated (Santa Ana winds usually) gives us 40F daily swings. If your low is 47F, then your high gets to be 87F. I've seen 30s and 80s in the same day a few times. It's rough on the allergies.

Terry,

I would like to thank you for posting in this thread.  I understand the desire to the CA folks to have their own weather thread, but one of the things I find most fascinating is hearing from folks all over the country and all over the world talking about the weather at the same time.  Aussies sweating,  Bobby is freezing, we on the Gulf Coast do the roller coaster, CA stays cools, SoFL stays warm, Bo and Steve stay the same, Don gets rain.   Call me simple, but it makes the world get really small.  I get a real kick out of it.

Luke - I still tend to lump Florida into one homogenized climate, with varying degrees of lows based on latitude and proximity to the ocean.  So sorry the wild swing is delaying Spring there and bringing such a late freeze. ugh.

Keith - Our palms have turned us into armchair weather nerds. I check my hi and lo everyday and have weather.com bookmarked. It is interesting comparing climates.

Keith,

I like to see different conditions around the world as well.  It would be nice to see more imput from other places than the USA.  Maybe it is that in tropical climates there is not much variation.  But, local conditions still might be interesting.  I am right now in Boa Vista, Roraiama which is 750 kms directly north from Manaus.  So, I am in the opposite season from Manaus.  Here north of the equator it is dry seaon or what we call summer.  As opposed to the wet season called winter in Manaus.  I am taking a flight back to ther rainy season tonight at 1:30 AM.  Here the day was hot and dry and breezy.  Here it the local weather on this evening north of the equator.  It is 8:13 and I am sitting by the hotel pool have some fish snacks, french fries and a caipirinha (local Brazilian drink)  It is a very nice evening.

Current Weather Conditions

Boa Vista, Boa Vista Intl , Brazil

(SBBV) 02-50N 060-42W

Conditions at

2008.03.26 2300 UTC

Wind from the E (090 degrees) at 7 MPH (6 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 87 F (31 C)

Dew Point 62 F (17 C)

Relative Humidity 43%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.80 in. Hg (1009 hPa)

And here it is back at home a one hour jet flight away.  I should be there by around 2:30 AM if the plane is on time.  I really do not like to travel at this time any more.  But, it nice to sleep in my own bed and I have a lot of things to do in the morning as well.

Current Weather Conditions

Manaus Aeroporto , Brazil

(SBMN) 03-09S 059-59W 84M

Conditions at

2008.03.26 2300 UTC

Wind Calm

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions partly cloudy

Weather Towering cumulus clouds observed

Temperature 80 F (27 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 78%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.83 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Its sunny dry and warm in AZ this past week.  85-88F highs and 52-57F lows.  This is a little warmer than average.  I hope spring stays around for awhile, really dont want to see summer yet.  The palms are loving it as the soil temps are above 65F.  This year with the above average rainfall, the washie robustas around town have huge crowns(for a robusta), they are kinda winning me over.  Yeah some of them have gotten the "wont need a trim for 3 years cut", but there are alot of lush looking washies.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

late march and april is one of the driest times of year. humidity hasnt kicked in yet either. forcasts are real nice though.

Tonight

Mar 28  Partly Cloudy 54° 10 %

Sat

Mar 29  Partly Cloudy 81°/60° 10 %

Sun

Mar 30  Isolated T-Storms 79°/56° 30 %

Mon

Mar 31  Partly Cloudy 80°/59° 20 %

Tue

Apr 01  Isolated T-Storms 80°/57° 30 %

Wed

Apr 02  Isolated T-Storms 80°/58° 30 %

Thu

Apr 03  Partly Cloudy 81°/58° 10 %

Fri

Apr 04  Partly Cloudy 80°/55° 20 %

Sat

Apr 05  Partly Cloudy 80°/55° 20 %

Sun

Apr 06  Partly Cloudy 80°/54° 0 %

Luke

63" rain annually

ahhhh... you guys in FL are finally starting to warm up... It'll take us another month to get there - then it's all Uphill :)  ...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Just about perfect here.

Today

Mar 29  Scattered T-Storms 78°/63° 40 %

Sun

Mar 30  Partly Cloudy 81°/64° 20 %

Mon

Mar 31  Partly Cloudy 82°/65° 20 %

Tue

Apr 01  Scattered T-Storms 81°/63° 50 %

Wed

Apr 02  Scattered T-Storms 77°/62° 40 %

Thu

Apr 03  Isolated T-Storms 82°/66° 30 %

Fri

Apr 04  Isolated T-Storms 78°/54° 30 %

Sat

Apr 05  Partly Cloudy 76°/56° 20 %

Sun

Apr 06  Scattered T-Storms 79°/59° 60 %

Mon

Apr 07  Scattered T-Storms 79°/61° 60 %

From the equator south things just don't change much on a day to day basis.  I guess we just don't have too interesting weather. But, plants do grow well this time of year.

Current conditions in Manaus.

March29.jpg

Five day forecast.

March29fiveday.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg