IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Weather Thread

_Keith

First couple days of March were beautiful, but we got some seriously wicked wind and rain going on right now in advance of a cool front.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Winter is over!!! Fingers crossed! I hope, I hope!

March weather thread,we donn need no stinking March weather thread! :laugh:

Weather forecast  here for the next 8 months ,hot ,humid, and 50 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms! :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Almost, but not quite, at least for me anyway.

Winter is trying to sneak back in through the bathroom window.   Nasty winds and rain over my head right now are bringing in one more cold front.

march3radar.gif

Then, after a few cool days, it is back to spring again.

march3weather.jpg

Then, I hope it will be over.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am looking forward to some more rain, as long as the storms are not severe. It is supposed to cool a bit, but it looks like highs are going to remain in the 70s for the forseeable future.  Maybe some lows sneaking into the 40s here and there too.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Fantastic day here today with a high of 85.6F and low humidity!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Okay so maybe I jumped the gun by about a month,or month and  half, for my 8 month forecast! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(ruskinPalms @ Mar. 03 2008,20:29)

I am looking forward to some more rain, as long as the storms are not severe.

From Ruskin.......

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL

800 PM EST MON MAR 3 2008

...INCREASING SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY AHEAD OF AN

APPROACHING FRONT TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING WITH SLIGHT RISK OF

SEVERE WEATHER ESPECIALLY OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE STATE...

...CONCERNS INCREASE TUESDAY AFTERNOON AS AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT

WILL BRING ENOUGH MOISTURE AND ATMOSPHERIC INSTABILITY TO BEGIN

GENERATING SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE STATE. THE WORST OF

THE WEATHER ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE DURING

THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS WITH THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY OVER

MOST OF THE CWA. LATEST SPC CONVECTIVE ANALYSIS PLACED THE NORTHERN

HALF OF THE AREA UNDER SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE WEATHER...MAINLY FROM

THE TAMPA BAY AREA AND NORTHWARD THROUGH LEVY COUNTY....

However, there's no hazardous wx statement posted, so maybe it won't get too bad.  

I'm keeping my new Sainlucei indoors Tuesday, in case of wind.  These little lovelies seem a bit weak-rooted when they're young.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(gsn @ Mar. 03 2008,20:32)

Okay so maybe I jumped the gun by about a month,or month and  half, for my 8 month forecast! :laugh:

I sure wish you had been right.  Got a freeze heading to North Florida for the weekend.  We had lows projected here of 38 and 35 over Friday and Saturday night.

Got to watch my tomatoes for sure.

Rain fizzled out. Not much more than a few light sprinkles here. Still supposed to get a little cooler for tomorrow.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Temp projections keep dropping.  We are now down to 34 on Friday night and 35 on Saturday night.   I haven't checked north Florida, but it can't be looking pretty over there, especially for this late in the spring.

Pretty much uneventful out West /sunny & nice.

LA: 74f / 23.3c

52f / 11.1c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Projections are dropping yet again.  Low tonight now expected to be 33 degrees here/28 in Tallahassee.   Next night 37 in both places.  

Only good news in this is high winds should keep the frost away.  

I might have to go do a quick round up of some tender things like Mangos.  My new tomatoes won't be too happy about this either.  I already 3 golf ball size fruit forming up...

>>explicative<<

The sun came back in march, its been in the high 60's to mid 80's for daytime highs this month.  No more sub 40 nights, daytime highs go from 73 to 80 over the next 5 days.  Deciduous trees are leafing out in a hurry now.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

A line of severe storms is bearing down on the area tonight, I hope there is no damage caused by these. Looking at a low of 39F tomorrow night with lots of wind. I thought I was done with the 30s this winter....sigh... Mid 40s the next night then back to springtime with a nice warmup forcasted.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I don't believe it...it is 35.4F here right now and we just had some SNOW FLURRIES, I have had to round up all sorts of things and bring them in the house or the greenhouse, put mulch back around the newly emergent Heliconias and some other young palms, etc. It was 70s here the past few days. It is bizarre enough to have one snowfall here at 31.5N latitude, but to have two in a season, and one of them in March!! Depending on who's talking, it looks like at least a couple of hours between 30-32F tonight, and a radiational event tomorrow night that could also go down to 30-32F. We haven't had any freezing temps here since a light freeze (that did no damage even to bananas) in early Feb. Everything's been coming back into growth, trees are leafing out, and I thought we were done with all this. Arrrrgh!!!!!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

forcasted 26 here tonight...... uhhhh. after tommorrow the forcast looks great, but not after old man winter rapes my palms some more. :( plus we got another 2" of rain  yesterday. lots of low lying areas and rivers are flooding.

Today

Mar 8  Partly Cloudy / Wind

53°/26° 20%  

Sun

Mar 9  Sunny

65°/33° 10%  

Mon

Mar 10  Partly Cloudy

73°/42° 10%  

Tue

Mar 11  Partly Cloudy

74°/47° 10%  

Wed

Mar 12  Scattered T-Storms

73°/50° 40%  

Thu

Mar 13  Partly Cloudy

74°/54° 10%  

Fri

Mar 14  Few Showers

75°/50° 30%  

Sat

Mar 15  Partly Cloudy

77°/52° 10%  

Sun

Mar 16  Partly Cloudy

77°/53° 20%  

Mon

Mar 17  Sunny

80°/57° 10%  

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

typical crappy march weather here... around 50f/day, mid-high 30'sf/night

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

We somehow dodged the bullet. Despite the snow (and it came again, mixed with sleet, Saturday morning) we bottomed out at 34.4, and this morning we only made it down to 34.8. These have been two very uncomfortable days and nights, I'm just very happy Jack Frost was kept at bay and the bananas can keep their winter foliage. Barring any other crazy events, that means my last sub-freezing event was 13 Feb, and the last that did any damage at all was 20 and 21 January. Something tells me we're in the clear now...70s in the forecast...now on to planting!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

windy, chilly saturday and a 43.4F morning sun at wake-up 7am (really 6am)...chilly chilly! had almost 2" of rain thurs/fri and 1/2" on tues. WOW! Im March! Now, just warm up already, and stay! Greg in NPR brrrrrrr breezy 60F at 11am

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

A lovely 47F this AM....far warmer than the forecasts had called for (40-42F)!

Larry 

43.7F here. Pretty chilly but better than the 39F that was forcasted. I think they are saying 48F for tonight. Watch it get down to 43F again under these very clear skies!!! Cool day only made it back into the upper 60s to maybe 70. Even though the air was cool, the sun has been incredible! This has had to have been one of the most beautiful days of the year due to the cool air and brilliant sun.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

By the way, it went down to 39.2F in my back yard March 6, 2007. So, this year is shaping up pretty much like last year so far.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Larry & Bill

What's 5-7 degrees OFF one way or the other? ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

If long-range projections hold than it could get quite chilly in California by next weekend [though at this point minimums in the 40's

Hope the Gulf coast/Florida are spared further cold blasts [days are lengthening & bugs are increasing  :o

LA: 80f /26.6c

52f /11.1c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Short term forecasts rarely hold true ,so I put very little faith in LONG term forecasts! ???

We are finally out of the woods,and I can stop watching the weather! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

March is traditionally the wettest month of the year here with an average of over 300 mm.  Today started out wet.  It is cool at least though.  The humidity is 100 percent right now, which makes the plants happy.

Current Weather Conditions:

Manaus Aeroporto , Brazil

(SBMN) 03-09S 059-59W 84M

Conditions at

2008.03.10 1300 UTC

Visibility 4 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Weather Light rain

Towering cumulus clouds observed

Temperature 73 F (23 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 100%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.94 in. Hg (1014 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Well, spring is probably really here to stay now. After a low this morning of about 51F, it has warmed back up into the 70s today with even a few light showers around. Palms should really start to take off now.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(cobra2326 @ Mar. 10 2008,09:00)

Climate Envy! ^

Jon,

At least you have some changes to cope with.  By the end of the rainy season I am ready for a few hotter drier months.  And, by the end of the dry season I am ready for some cooler wetter months.  

Here is what it look like at the end of the day.  Not a big change from the way the day started.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2008.03.10 2300 UTC

Wind from the NNE (030 degrees) at 9 MPH (8 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Weather Light rain

Towering cumulus clouds observed

Temperature 75 F (24 C)

Dew Point 71 F (22 C)

Relative Humidity 88%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.83 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Got to about 74F for a high here at 12:00pm. When I got off work tonight, it seemed to be strangely cool - I was wondering if another little cool front had sneaked through. But, no, the cooling was entirely from the seabreeze. The strong seabreeze, after it arrived, has held the temps to around 70F here, 67 to 68 in most of pinellas county. Balmy 76 to 78 at this time in areas greater than 5 to 6 miles from the coast. This time of year is really quite nice. The gulf should start to warm pretty quickly though and the seabreezes will have less and less cooling effect.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Rained a good bit yesterday and kept the temps in the mid 60s for most of the day. Up to the low 80s today with lots of wind and low puffy white clouds and sun. Feels like a day in the Carribean!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Today was simply marvelous.  Cel and I headed out for some local festivals today, one of which was the Louisiana Plant Festival.  Nothing special, but incredibly good prices.  No highs under 72 nor lows under 48 in the 10 day forecast.  Average is probably like 77/55.

Keith same here. high of 83 somthing today. BEE -YOU-TIFFOUL weather!

10 day forcast  has avg at 77/50 or so for Tally.

I Did some camping on the ohclocknee river in the national forest. kyaking and fishing. man we even had a nice breeze all day. rare at 30 degrees north

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

It sure was a beautiful day.... sunny and 81, with a nice breeze and low humidity.  I'm glad to finally be in Florida.  As soon as the real estate market bottoms out early next year, I'll buy and then the planting will begin.  Judging from some yards around here it seems you can grow "almost" anything you want from mid-Pinellas down the county esp. along the water.

Pinellas Park, Florida

Derek!

Glad you finally made it down here!

And yes....if you stay close to the water (most notably near downtown St. Pete as Im sure youve seen in some travels around town), the climate is generally very good for palms/plants.

Larry 

Rain, rain, rain and more rain. Predicting 5+ inches for today and tomorrow just a week & a half after 15 inches of snow fell in the city. Soon there will be lots of flooding with people and houses getting swept away.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Getting busy down south today.  Winds today were fierce running 25-40 and a few gust that must have been near 50.  The local airport starting diverting flights after noon.  A few minor things got torn up around here, but no fatalities.  

My 2 new Mule Palms which I planted on Sunday got a real work out.  Thankfully Michael sold me some good strong ones and they look no worse for the wear.

No rain so far, but still looking at 80% chance for tonight.

(JakeK @ Mar. 18 2008,21:12)

Rain, rain, rain and more rain. Predicting 5+ inches for today and tomorrow just a week & a half after 15 inches of snow fell in the city. Soon there will be lots of flooding with people and houses getting swept away.

Jake,

That sounds like a wonderful climate.  One day you freeze in a snow storm and a couple of weeks later you get washed away with your house.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here is a real time shot of the local weather.  I am at the port terminal loading some containers to Europe.  The afternoon rain clouds are forming and I am sure within the next half hour we will get dumped on.  March is the wettest month of the year with an average of about 350 mms.  

Report transmitted from my mobile office (my car)  from my notebook with Edge cell phone connection.  It is amazing what techonology can do these days.   Picture taken with my cell phone and downloaded to the notebook via Bluetooth connection.

Current conditions.

Current Weather Conditions:

Manaus Aeroporto , Brazil

(SBMN) 03-09S 059-59W 84M

Conditions at

2008.03.20 1800 UTC

Wind Calm

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Weather Towering cumulus clouds observed

Temperature 84 F (29 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 70%

And,  a picture looking through the containers up toward where the rain clouds are coming from.

ATRQuinta.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Nice front made it through last night.Temperatures are in the low 70's now .Our High is predicted at 77F.Predicted High in Miami yesterday was 85F and it hit 89F.Doesn't look like we will hold at 77F but hope so.Tiger is lurking at Doral and he likes it hot!

What you look for is what is looking