IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Deciduous trees

ruskinPalms

What do you all think? Should we plant trees that lose their leaves during the winter in our palm gardens? Does this ruin the 'tropical look'?

Plumerias lose their leaves in winter. So does Delonix regia. What is more tropical than these???

Yet I still have for the most part resisted planting these in my garden. (I admit I do have two Plumeria that don't look so happy after this last little freeze...)

Any thoughts?

Was not sure where to post this, but I thought I would put it in this sub forum since it involves landscaping effects combined with palm plantings.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

For those of us who don't live in Tropical or Semi-tropical climates, well, we have lfew choices in this area.  I could plant them with conifers, but at least for me, that really does not go together.  

Here is a picture of palms with dormant Crepe Myrtles.  I enjoyed the contrast so much, I have duplicated it in my garden with new plantings this year.

DSC01545.JPG

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hell yeah. :) I have many trees that drop their leaves and will be adding many more. One point of clarification, I think there is a big difference between true deciduous - like Aspens, Oaks, etc. that drop consistently when day light hours drop. They are bare for months on end. Those I do not like. Now most tropical deciduous are really "semi-deciduous". Meaning they only drop under duress, cold snaps or to flower. These are perfect for the garden as they drop in late winter or early spring which allows light to kick-start lower growing plants, like palms. Once spring is in full effect, they flower or leaf out and provide the protection needed. I think you need them in a palm garden because:

1) Some of the best canopy trees are semi-deciduous. Schizolobium, Enterolobium, ect.

2) The prettiest flowering trees in the world are semi-deciduous. Caesalpiniaceae, Cassias, ect.

3) They provide seasonal interest.

Just my 2.....

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bill, I agree with Len. A tropical flowering tree can add to the palm landscape and give seasonal differences that are hard to achieve with palms. These three pics are of the same Ceiba (I think) through the past year.

Brad

IMGP1713.jpg

IMGP3523.jpg

IMGP2509.jpg

I'm crazy about Japanese Maples.  

They are so versatile, so variable that I wouldn't enjoy gardening quite the same without them.  They come in just about every leaf color imaginable, with variations in leaf size, shape, and detail.  

http://www.japanesemaples.com/catalog/inde...id=2&page=1

Even in mid winter this A. p. 'Beni kawa' adds interest to my garden with its red branches.

post-376-1203647846_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

(LJG @ Feb. 21 2008,20:24)

The prettiest flowering trees in the world are semi-deciduous. Caesalpiniaceae, Cassias.....

...Jacaranda, Tecoma stans.....  :)

I think deciduous trees can add to the tropical landscape, especially those with interesting winter form, like the plumeria and crepe myrtle (the older ones have beautiful trunks).  A lot depends on what they're grouped with, as in Keith's picture of the palms with the crepe myrtles.  That's a very nice effect.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

There are many trees in the Amazon forest that shed their leaves for part of the year.  Since palms are an important part of the forest I would say that they go together.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(ghar41 @ Feb. 21 2008,18:37)

They are so versatile, so variable that I wouldn't enjoy gardening quite the same without them.  They come in just about every leaf color imaginable, with variations in leaf size, shape, and detail.  

Even in mid winter this A. p. 'Beni kawa' adds interest to my garden with its red branches.

I have seen Japanese maples in at least palm two gardens (yours Glenn and Dick Douglas') and probabably another garden in SoCal.  It was a shock.  Not an unpleasant shock, just something completely unexpected.  Japanese maples are another passion of mine, but I don't have enough shade yet to endulge.  I would have never considered mixing them in a palm/cycad garden.  Not sure I would be bold enough to mix them though.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(iwan @ Feb. 21 2008,22:44)

I have seen Japanese maples in at least palm two gardens (yours Glenn and Dick Douglas') and probabably another garden in SoCal.  It was a shock.  Not an unpleasant shock, just something completely unexpected.  Japanese maples are another passion of mine, but I don't have enough shade yet to endulge.  I would have never considered mixing them in a palm/cycad garden.  Not sure I would be bold enough to mix them though.

I have a few Jap. Magnolias in my garden as well.  There are a few that can handle full sun down here, so I know there are some that can handle your full sun as well.

Go for it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

mONGO SAY:

Deciduous tree --

make GREAT firewood!

To light up cigar . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

lovely stills of beautiful palms seen..especially the Livistona chinensis that Kathryn had posted..the palm is holding so many leaves without drying up the old fronds..very beautiful sight.

And even i love the canadian & japanese maples and magnolia's_period !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kathryn, that L chinensis is beautiful!  I love the shade-grown look with the long petioles.  I grew lots of palms under live oak canopy in Tampa.  The palms thrived under them - they let the perfect amount of light through.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Robert,

The only reason I have the two Japanese maples is because they were "attached" to some palms I bought a long time ago. It was sort of an all or nothing deal.

I felt a little odd planting mapels in a palm garden, but actually they blend in quite well, growing under 3 Trachycarpus wagnerianus. It gives a slight Asian touch to my garden. In the spring, with their bright red foliage, they are knock down georgeous contrasting with the green things around them. I also planted some cannas (Tropicana) around them, and it gives me a bright splash of color in an otherwise green garden.

The dominate tree in my garden is a giant decidious Oak, and it takes up a lot of room. It gives me welcome shade in the summer, and allows the light through in the winter. Unfortunately, I can't plant anything under it as they  will not take irrigation in the summer, or they get Oak root fungus. The Oak is estimated to be over 350 years old, so it's a keeper. It's one of the largest in California.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Good point Len.  I'm planting most of my deciduous trees on the north side of my planting areas.  This will provide summer protection when they're leafed out and allow extra light in during winter without allowing the understory to burn because the sun will be coming from the south where all my evergreens will be planted.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt, your garden is in a perfect place to grow some really cool tropical flowering trees. Spend some time and track down some unique things. They take a while to grow and can take 10 years (or more) before you see flowers on some, but you are young and have a young garden. Don't settle with Jacs, T. tipu's, etc. Get some Delonix, Cassias, Covillea (I have a 5 gallon I might let you have this summer. I have two and want to see which takes off the most), Markhamia lutea, Calodendrum capense (these last two you can get at Vista Tree farm for cheap) and Mardy Darians current favorite canopy tree - Castanospermum australe. Gary and I have these. They are killer plants.

Also, your buddy Ron is a great resource. He has an eye for the rare stuff and he has a lot of it growing in his garden from what I read.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Of course it works, an evergreen blue spruce would look just weird!

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

I like live oaks mixed with palms as well. I guess the live oaks lose their leaves at some point but I have a hard time considering them a deciduous tree. Semi deciduous I guess is a better representation. I really see no problem with a tree that is bare only for a couple weeks to a month. Longer than that reminds of when I lived up north...bare trees for several months.  For the past couple years Delonix regia in my area had not gone completely deciduous. This year has been a different story. They all lost their leaves after the early January cold blast and have looked like barren, lifeless sticks since then. I hope they weren't killed outright. There were some surprising large specimens even inland in Riverview and Brandon. I know because it was real easy to pick them out immediately after the freeze since they were the first to drop their leaves after the freeze. There were other exotic tropical flower trees that seemed to try to hold their leaves a little longer than the D. regia but are pretty much bare now too.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Thanks Len.  I'll keep an eye out for stuff like you mentioned.  You're right, Ron is a great neighbor to have.  I've gotta get over there and raid some of his aloes and stuff.  I do have 6 Delonix regia, 3 of which are ready to go into the ground this summer.  I learned my lesson last year by trying to take a Delonix out of the greenhouse in spring.  I didn't like the cool weather during the acclimation period and died.  So, I'll wait until the heat of early summer to get these puppies going this time.  They're so fast from seed in the greenhouse (seed to 5 gallon in 10 months) I could try these forever until I get it right.  Gary says no water all winter is the trick.  I can do that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(iwan @ Feb. 21 2008,23:44)

I have a planting guide from a local nursery that explains a technique of planting Japanese Maples in full inland sun by using a 100% Azalela Camellia Mushroom compost in the planting hole.  It worked for me when I watered them correctly but some of mine still burned when I let them get too dry.

post-376-1203730069_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

(ghar41 @ Feb. 21 2008,21:37)

Actually, those red branches are really cool looking. Would one of these grow in FL?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 22 2008,21:29)

(ghar41 @ Feb. 21 2008,21:37)

Actually, those red branches are really cool looking. Would one of these grow in FL?

...don't know, but try this website....it claims that it can suggest varieties for your area by identifying your USDA zone with your zip code....

http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com/japanes....es.html

oh, and check out the rest of the site, there are some incredible pics....heres another of my red branched variety..

post-376-1203742931_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

I have a few deciduous trees in my palm dominated garden. I've planted Japanese maples, Ceiba speciosa (floss silk tree), a species of saucer magnolia that has huge banana like leaves, and a coral tree. They all blend perfectly with palms.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

m crazy about Japanese Maples.  

They are such a rage up here - you can find them all over the place - everyone who wants an "upscale" looking yard has a japanese maple - especially because they grow so well here.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I looked up my zip code on the link and it gives me a 9-10 rating. Looks like they grow in zones 5 though 9 so I bet one would be borderline here. I must say that there is supposedly a native maple species here in this area but I have not seen it occuring naturally in the forests here - for that matter I  have not seen magnolia occuring naturally in the forests here, a very nice not so deciduous tree that is supposed to technically be native to this area. I did see these in the natural forests near my sister's house in the forests near Destin FL. The 'forests' here are oaks, pines, Sabal, Serenoa, and invasives. Some folks have planted maples in their yards and they are only deciduous for about a month whatever type they are.

I think a mental picture I remember most of a yard in my parent's neighborhood in South Venice FL is of a huge maple going deciduous in full autumn color with very healthy fruiting cocos alond side. Oxymoron? Irony?

I think I live in the transition zone of transition zones (the whole Tampa Bay area maybe down to Fort Myers) which is neat. I think I could grow a garden very reminiscent of Indiana or Michigan if I wanted to, or I could grow a garden much more akin to the tropics which is what I really want to do!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

While enjoying a glorious early spring day, I shot this picture today.   So, for me at least, not only do they go together, they create a unique juxtaposition.

post-1207-1203904344_thumb.jpg

These giants are on the third lot over from my house.  Normally in summer with foliage on everything, you can't see them well enough to appreciate them.  See garage at bottom of picture for scale.

post-1207-1203905550_thumb.jpg

Only the Plumerias are shortly deciduous for me here in mauka south Kona.  I have one super huge Delonix regia and two smaller ones but they never go bare here.  Oh, my Hong Kong Orchid tree does molt for a very short period of time.  As soon as the old leaves fall off new ones start forming.  Deciduous trees are very rare around these parts.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hi Ruskinpalms,

Hope I can answer that question for you I had a japanese maple a ribbion leaf i transplanted from the north when i lived In Toledo however it leafed out In Feb and it just stayed that way til fall and it dropped its leafs and it died it was in the shade and it was getting water/feed it just didn't like the subtropical climate might try one again to see hope that helps out

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Some time ago, I developed a simple rating system for the degree of "exoticness" any given plant has:

Group 1:  "Exotics " -- Plants that are assertively tropical in their appearance...so much so that they will probably look out of place in a nontropical-themed setting.

Group 2:  "Blenders" -- plants that are either vaguely tropical in appearance or entirely neutral.  Some plants are botanical chameleons that will look tropicalish when supported by other tropical-looking plants, but will still fit in to a more temperate look if you want to go in that direction (many ferns fall into this group).  

Group 3:  "Spoilers" -- plants that simply clash with the climate theme suggested by your overall garden design.

Naturally, this is a subjective system:  one man's blender is another man's spoiler.  All gardens are artifices that rely on fakery of one kind or another.  Part of it depends on how palmyopian you are (I'm sure there are some who find any kind of dicots to be unacceptable uses of garden space).  Lot size and good design also come into play.  The smaller your yard, the more difficult it is to host a wide range of plant-climate effects.    

In general, I think it is unfortunate to eschew plants that perform well in your area and would give you much satisfaction just because they don't fit some preconceived notion of "the tropical look".  Cookie-cutter palmscapes are becoming as common as the cookie-cutter housing tracts they're located in, and maybe your ability to work out unlikely combinations is precisely what will make your garden distinctive.  The most dramatic plant in my yard at the moment is a 'Vulcan' Magnolia.  It's deciduous, and it certainly isn't tropical, but it sure has impact with those huge magenta-red blossoms on bare wood.

Brookings, OR, Pacific Coast of USA at 42° N.  Temperate rainforest climate, USDA Zone 9b, juncture of Sunset Zones 5 and 17.