IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beware the pill bug...

STEVE IN SO CAL

I did some exploratory surgery on some of my larger Para Torallyi's yesterday. I found dozens of these pill bugs in the hole that once held a pulled spear. There was also quite a bit of moisture in these voids. I decided to cut everything back that wasn't alive. This would allow me to get sun/air to the new growth, as well as treat the insect infestation. You can see in these pics that 24 hrs later, I'm pushing growth, but Malathion was useless against the pill bugs. Tomorrow they will see the equivalent of a mushroom cloud in buggy world (don't even ask)...

IMG_0400.jpg

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

If you look closely (in pic above), you can see little buggy poop everywhere. There was mounds of it when I cut them out yesterday. This will no doubt lead to fungal problems if not addressed. Especially with the foggy, damp nights we've been having.

The plant below probably won't make it...

IMG_0399.jpg

Some of the bigger ones had no problems. I'll probably loose about 50% of these that had the surgery. I'm sure I would lose 90% if I did not...

IMG_0401.jpg

I don't think the pill bugs will hurt anything.  They just eat stuff that's already mushy and rotting.  Plus, once you expose the area they'll probably just see shelter elsewhere.  Don't hurt the poor little pill bugs Steve.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

ooohhh that's ugly

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The pill bugs actually ate thru this Dyp Decipiens spear that is pushing after the freeze...

IMG_0397.jpg

Matt...even pre freeze I was having problems with them. They were massing on tortor new growth, and sucking all the life out of them. They can wreck havoc, believe me. They live in all the mulch. One of the downsides of heavy mulch, with small plants. Once they go pinnate, they're not a problem. And like I said, it's the mounds of buggy pooh that will be the problem. And...if they want dead stuff to eat, there's plenty of mulch for them to eat. They want the sweet stuff...

poor rolly pollys, it's off to hide under the big rock in the sky....moohah hahahahahahhahahahahahaha....

shuka shuks shuka shuka shuka spppprrrrrrrrtttzzzzzzz....ahhhhh it's raining lorsban ooooohhhhh noooooo..ahhhhhh martha, run martha run, save the children, aiiiiieeeeee mommy,mommy,mommy, help as ughhhrggrrhhhh ahhhhhh ughhhhslppppttttrrttpppp......*  ahhh the power of better gardening through chemistry.

• Upvote 1

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Ouch! thats one loss. Geez, thanks for the notice? Anything working thats getting rid of those things?

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Doink...for Kathy...

Steve,

we have those bugs here too.. They just look for the darkest place they can find.... I usually see them under pots or bricks... they LOVE moisture.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 20 2007,04:58)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 16 2007,17:37)

IMG_0401.jpg

Holy Hiroshima !!!  Is all that due to cold weather?!    :(  :(  :(

Yes William, Thats our January freeze damage... (or at least Steves)  Its a good thing you didn't set your virginal palm eyes to this forum until AFTER most things had been pictured and/or discussed.    It would scar your eyes for life....or at least you would need many days of the before/after Hawaii shots to correct your vision!!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I hate pill bugs....they ate one of my more expensize cyads to death, chewed the entire caudex down to ground level before I discovered them, and it was a healthy plant in very dry soil.  Also, they ate a hole (lemon size) into the stem of one of my pony tail palms (okay I know it's not a palm), a big hole large enough so that the crown was starting to lean to one side.  I patched it up with cauking, no lie, that solved the problem.   Death to pill bugs

Gosh, I guess I spoke too soon.  Sorry.  I'm a big fan of heavy mulch and at certain times of the year I see them in the thousands too but I've never had any problem with them eating my stuff.....yet.  I'll keep a closer eye on them though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt...I was looking at my burnt plants as they try and recover, and the pill bugs are eating the new growth almost as fast as it grows.

I remember when my horticultural experience was limited to veggie gardening, and they would wipe out a bed of seedlings overnite. We used Sevin, and I may need to try that again.

• 2 years later...

I recently found these to be the cause of a lean in my KENTIOPSIS PIERSONIORUM!!!!! GGGGRRRRR!!!!!!! :rant:

I hand picked and crushed all the ones UNDER my palm. I excavated a bit and used a mirror. You could see fresh "eatin holes" :angry:

Did anyone find what kills these? After cleaning out, and spritzing with Malathion, I hand packed sand up in there. I hope I got them in time.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

These things come in after the fungus, not before. That poor plant got a fungus and while rotting, the pill bugs/sowbugs came to eat the decay. I have NEVER had them in healthy plants. But almost everytime something is rotting from fungus, I will find these.

I think the best thing you can do is dry out the area. They need it wet. So does fungus. Also, rememebr these are not insects so I doubt malathion will do anything.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am not sure that these are the problem but usually a symptom of a bigger problem. If they are the same as the wood bugs that we have here - and they look the same, they just eat the rot and won't eat through healthy tissue.

Just sayin'

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

They have came in after/during fungus, whatever, but NOW they are getting greedy! With my mirror looking from below I can see some perfectly round bright, pretty green holes that stand out in the dry/older brown part of the trunk where they are "digging in".

I have just been reading a lot on these guys and while most people say they only eat decaying stuff, a big faction has seen them eat tender/young/tasty? living plants with several saying they mowed them over at ground level. :rant:

Looks like I have a daily or weekly ritual for a while, not a lot of consensus as to what takes them out and is safe for plants except a wet rolled up news paper nearby.

Also, this plant must be strong one to have pushed 2 1/2 inches since Gary spotted a "fungus"? Still pushing now, but really weakened.

They thrive on moist piles of dog excrement her in Florida. I have not seen them go after green tissue on a palm. However, if your lot in life is to consume poop and fungus, it makes sense that a nutrious palm spear leaf would be an enticing tasty treat.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

We call them slaters or wood lice, I think they are the only land crustaceans - not actual insects

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Bill,

Walmart Sells a granule called Ant, Flea & Tick Control that I've used since Diazinon was taken off the market. It eliminates little crawly insects like Pill bugs and earwigs and is safe to use around palms (or even in the crown). It contains 'Permethrin' which I think is a variation on Pyrethrins and has been found to be more environmentally friendly than chemicals like Diazinon. Apply and water it in. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Looks like I have a daily or weekly ritual for a while, not a lot of consensus as to what takes them out and is safe for plants except a wet rolled up news paper nearby.

Bill, a quick google search indicates Talstar (Bifenthrin) might do the trick.

I saw the Talstar stuff, but couldn't find anything which said safe for plants.

hey rolly pollys!! i have not seen those since i was a kid playing in the dirt!!

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Bill,

Walmart Sells a granule called Ant, Flea & Tick Control that I've used since Diazinon was taken off the market. It eliminates little crawly insects like Pill bugs and earwigs and is safe to use around palms (or even in the crown). It contains 'Permethrin' which I think is a variation on Pyrethrins and has been found to be more environmentally friendly than chemicals like Diazinon. Apply and water it in. Perry

It seems your suggestions seem to be the easiest to follow ! :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Interesting subject. I'm glad it got bumped. I have tons of these at the new place, but have not found them to be a problem with palms. I see them in biblical proportions like earwigs, but they prefer moist conditions, the later prefering it dry. I have a horrible problem with tiny holes being eaten through soft foliage plants but have never seen any caterpillars. Maybe pill bugs are doing it. I spray out the crowns of my palms every once in a while just to clean out the gunk from the poo but a healthy palm should be able to stand that. I'm sure there's lots of gunk down in the crowns in the rainforest and other various habitats.

On the subject of pesticides: How can you guys use these poisons around your soil? Aren't you worried about killing your worms and beneficial microbes? I use pesticides in the greenhouse all the time but use it very sparingly out in the garden as not to upset the natural order of things. I've seen my Dad's fruit trees suffer because he's always killing off all the lady bugs and predatory wasps that prey on the aphids. The aphids always come back.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

when steve said "pill bugs" he meant "liberals."

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

hey rolly pollys!! i have not seen those since i was a kid playing in the dirt!!

I was going to say the same thing!!! I see one every now and then but around here there are too many lizards, frogs, toads, and other things that keep them in check! Here in Florida we allways called them rolly pollys!!! Pill bug huh, well i now know the real name!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Steve and Perito,

I have found pill bugs to be troubling my Howea. Can I use the "Ant, Flea, and tick control" Pesticide you suggested in the crown of my Howea? The little buggers are in the grown bud eating the spear. I poured hydrogen peroxide down the crown and a bunch came out.

Thanks for you help.

Dan

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

• 5 years later...

Bumping this. I ran across a ton of pill bugs when I was looking at my little Decipiens the other day. I couldn't understand why, but now this makes sense. I'll be paying close attention from now on.

Yeah, pill bugs are an effect not a cause of disaster. As Len noted, they go in and eat rotten stuff already long dead. I've seen them sometimes in otherwise happy plants that have rotten parts of them. I've seen other insects do the same thing, too. When you see what looks like a bug infestation gone wild, be sure to also check for fungus.

That freeze was a Disaster for Steve, egad, nasty. He took a hard hard hit in 2007; I heard that even his Chamaerops got spear pull from that. I believe he had temps in the mid-teens for like 6 days in a row, all night. Nasty. He likely lost six figures worth of plants. Really a shame.

I'd look at the pill bugs as sort of a canary in the coal mine; when they're gone (of their own volition) that means the rot is under control.

(And, cats love to play with them! :))

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i think of them more like maggots on a wound. they only eat the rotted stuff. i wonder if they might be helpful by eating away the rot.....just like a maggot.............MAGGOT.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Oh those old photos, today is first time I'd seen, were horrific. How sad and kind of gross looking too with regard to the pill bugs. So many palms killed too. I remember pill bugs as a kid, would always find them in the ground under fall leaves especially. Aren't they happy in compost piles?

Oh well. Great, just another thing to look out for as first time homeowners new to softscaping (actually appreciative people post about problems like this).

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

• 1 year later...
On Fri May 01 2009 23:14:56 GMT-0700, paulgila said:

when steve said "pill bugs" he meant "liberals."

Haha lol! Bump.

Rolly pollies are getting out of control in my garden. There must be thousands of them now.

They ate dozens of my papaya plant seedlings. But No biggie. I sprouted about 100 of them.

My question is, do these guys benefit my soil like earthworms do?