IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Sandy

sur4z

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

Over drama news........

The Florida locals really are not paying attention to this.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Fortunately in SoFla it is a non event even though the school board closed the public schools today...something about high winds and school buses...so much BS...I see blue skys out my office window... but the storm has been destructive where it made landfall.

--Avett Bros

The forecasters have some egg on their faces concerning this storm. It was predicted to be a minimal category 1 hurricane at most and should have gone out to sea and threatened Bermuda. Now the winds have reached 100mph and its path is predicted to recurve into the Mid Atlantic states and then merge with a cold front.

Nothing really for us Floriganders but could be mucho bad for Mid Atlantic states.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

--Avett Bros

At the moment, there's some excellent surf in south Florida. Presumably still a blown-out mess here. And good (by Florida standards) surf up in Jacksonville.

Not much rain, little or no damage. It looks like a totally different matter for the region from Norfolk to about Rhode Island.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hope you mid-atlantic types like true darkness for Halloween. I suspect this is going to down some lines with wind, snow and ice...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Yeah - not looking good for this area. Just made sure all the gutters were clean and brought some large potted plants into the garage. We should see high winds and a lot of rain for Monday and Tuesday. We are still without a major killing frost here, though I do have some tender tropicals showing some damage from a a light frost we had a couple weeks ago.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

What's the latest on these storms ? I see the Hawaiian tsunami was a dud luckily.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

--Avett Bros

The waves here in SoFla are double+ overhead and seemingly breaking out on the horizon. The drift is crazy and the only ones out or who can get out are the pros who are getting towed in north of the inlet. After dropping their tow line they ride the monster out into the inlet's deep water where the jet ski is waiting to pick them up...crazy!!

--Avett Bros

post-1122-0-71111300-1351516349_thumb.jp

--Avett Bros

--Avett Bros

I hope that this turns out to be a false alarm for NYC. The city is actually quite vulnerable built as it is on swampy terrain. Much of Manhattan is naturally boggy, and kept dry by pumps. Imagine all those underground subways and tunnels in an 11 foot storm surge? Swim fins, anyone?

A direct hit by a big hurricane will be a terrible disaster.

This is not new.

http://en.wikipedia....er_Gale_of_1815

http://en.wikipedia....sland_hurricane

http://en.wikipedia....rricane_of_1938

I say: don't act like the newshounds have nothing better to do than bay. If you're in a vulnerable area, run to high ground. A dark Halloween is better than death by drowning.

Remember how unprepared Vermont was for Irene?

Shooting some good karma to the east coast, they're likely to need it.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 time world champ instagramed this FLORIDA wave

http://instagram.com/p/RXer0TTbLo/

--Avett Bros

...and here is some video of the tow in surfing at the inlet yesterday...AWESOME!!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fGOg8XhOBmQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfGOg8XhOBmQ

--Avett Bros

Parts of Virginia Beach are flooded and schools were closed today. We still have electricity at our house, but others don't. A major 4 lane road (in front of our veterinary clinic) was closing due to flooding so we were forced to close for the afternoon. Don't worry. it's our small outpatient location so no animals stayed there. Our larger main clinic is still accessible. It could have been a lot worse, but the fish in my husband's fish pond could be anywhere in our backyard... It'll be tomorrow at least before we can really see what's what. Hope those yet to meet Sandy are all going to be okay!

Cindy Adair

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 Million people without power and 16 people dead. Basically everything from Boston to Washington DC shut down. I pray they recover quickly.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The Cleveland area lost power in about180,000 homes.

My father and brother live in the area.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/10/superstorm_sandy_leaves_downed.html#incart_river_default#incart_maj-story-1

profound....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

After 65mph winds, surprisingly little damage around here. I think the June derecho took out a lot of the weak stuff. Never lost power. Could have been a lot worse, and was for many folks northeast of here.

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

sandy10300012-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

--Avett Bros

sandy10300012-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

Very sad...and the captain did go down with the ship....one other lost as well....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Cleveland Ohio was not immune, though so far no dead.

Here's a picture of Lake Erie whipped to a frenzy.

ss-121030-sandy-35.ss_full.jpg

TAXI!!

[expletive expletive expletive!]

ss-121030-sandy-34.ss_full.jpg

Timber!

In Toronto, Canada, eh?

ss-121030-sandy-31.ss_full.jpg

--Avett Bros

--Avett Bros

Million-dollar damage at a Manalapan mansion, on local TV

Million-dollar damage at a Manalapan mansion, on local TV

...and to think we in SoFla didn't even get Sandy's wrath...just her waves.

--Avett Bros

Here's a bad video of some truly odd

in huge waves at Maryland's Ocean Beach.

Here's a bad video of some truly odd

in huge waves at Maryland's Ocean Beach.

Dang! I've never seen waves even approaching those in Ocean City. Very impressive.

Tom

hardiestpalms.com