IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who's growing Raphia Farinifera in Southern California?

Hilo Jason

I have a full sun spot in my yard that I am reserving for a large palm and I really like Raphia Farinifera. I've heard that these struggle in our hot dry winds that we can get. I'm curious to know who's having success (or not) with these in Southern California, or even a similar climate somewhere else. I've seen 2 different 15 gallon sized ones at local nurseries that got really damaged in heat and wind. So that got me worried about planting one here and not having it do well.

I've seen one at a private garden in San Diego that looked nice, but it was much closer to the coast than I am (I'm about 13 miles from the coast). I've also seen the one at the Catamaran Hotel in San Diego and that one looks good.

Any info would be great appreciated! I just don't want to spend a good amount of money on one of these if it won't do well for me.

Jason

I've got one growing in Perth in a protected spot. It yellows a bit in winter, then chugs along nice and green in summer. It's not in fullsun all day, maybe from 1pm until 4pm. They needs tons of water and good soil, almost swampy conditions would suit it in summer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I planted mine in a boggy spot, that's what they want, either full sun or no I believe.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

i dont think ive ever seen one besides the one at the catamaran & no one in the PRA team has had any luck with em. :angry:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have one... in the sun... supposed to be this species... but I had my suspicion that it might be R. australis. I don't care either way.... It starts to take off now...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Raphias are like the tough guy version of Pigafettas. They will take off if you give them water, but still live if you don't. Even in habitat, you will see the ones sitting closer to water sources are much more robust than ones just a dozen yards away. It is relatively hard to kill one outright once it has a little size.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I had one inland in Thousand Oaks for about 6 years, and though it fried badly everytime it got down below 28F, it survived and grew well in the summers... might do a lot better where it doesn't get so cold, but still gets plenty hot. Doubt it's still alive (no longer have that garden), though... the larger it got, the harder the winters were on it (grew out of its protected niche).

PM MR Rare for his opinion..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have heard of one doing well in North NSW . A long way from the tropics :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I think Leland Fletcher has a nice one in his front yard. He's in Bay Park. A great guy if you haven't met him, I'm sure he'd be happy to show it off. It's planted close to his house, facing SW. Looks really good.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Thanks to everyone for the input. It seems encouraging, and a bit dangerous at the same time since the PRA team hasn't had any luck! I have seen Leland Fletcher's and that's the one that actually made me consider trying it for myself. Although I'm not in as nice of a microclimate as he is.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for one that won't cost me too much. That way if it doesn't do well for me, I didn't spend a ton of $ on it. This is a back corner of my yard, so I want something big, just not quite Jubaea big!

Well, I think the spread of the Raphia is going to be a lot larger than a Jubaea.

The only reason this PRA Team member didn't have any luck with Raphia is because a certain other PRA Team member, who shall not be named, gave us a lame one that he had already traumatized. Are you listening? Paul, are you listening? You owe me another free gift palm for that lame one you gifted me. It wasn't free, it had heartache attached! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

you are right,bret,i forgot about that one!

matt,you are just embarrassing yerself,now. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

MR Rare has a really nice one !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I think in a marginal climate you put it somewhere under canopy that gets winter sun it will have greater success than trying to grow it in the open. Winter sunshine directly hitting it is the key I think.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Raphia looking sweet in the creek flow over from last week. There's a pile of flotsam against it which I removed after the water level went down and the fear of snakes subsided momentarily.

post-51-098750700 1287639804_thumb.jpg

post-51-079369800 1287639825_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ahem:

GIVE ME RAPHIA!

OR, GIVE ME DEATH!

Well, I got the first, soon after which I had the second, of the Raphia.

I think they don't like the dry winds here. I had mine under a swamp cooler discharge, but then the owner of the cooler stopped using it and didn't tell me . . . . :(:(:(:rage:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have had good success with R.farinfera. It is planted in full sun on a south exposure. It is located at the toe of a slope which is the low spot for drainage in this location of the garden. It was originally planted as a 5 gallon and is now quite massive. I would estimate it is approx 30 inches in diameter and ten feet to the meristem. The leaves are nearly vertical and approx.30 feet long. This growth has occured in eleven years from planting.It is an impressive palm for certain.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

That's great to hear. thanks for letting me know. I think I am going to have to give this palm a chance in my yard.

• 7 years later...

This palm was bought as a small 5gl some time ago from JDA.

For non-coastal Southern California it has done very well for me.  

No acclimation straight into all day sun.

It loves the solid clay, as long as it stays wet.

I love the orange stems and the blueish green leaves.

P9260746 (Large).jpeg

P9260747 (Large).jpeg

P9260749 (Large).jpeg

P9260750 (Large).jpeg

P9260754 (Large).jpeg

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TomJ said:

This palm was bought as a small 5gl some time ago from JDA.

For non-coastal Southern California it has done very well for me.  

No acclimation straight into all day sun.

It loves the solid clay, as long as it stays wet.

I love the orange stems and the blueish green leaves.

P9260746 (Large).jpeg

P9260747 (Large).jpeg

P9260749 (Large).jpeg

P9260750 (Large).jpeg

P9260754 (Large).jpeg

Wow. At first glance it resembles a golden tall coconut.

Beautiful palm.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

A great looking palm!

Ordered seeds a while ago from rps, they are still sleeping... I can`t wait to grow one over here.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Is this palm self-cleaning?

Or is it a queen type? Perennial human intervention is needed to cut the leaf and base from trunk?  

Regardless, it's a very beautiful palm. 

I would take it over a queen any day, and twice on Sunday. :greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)