IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm Hybrid???

JayW

A friend of mine who is a palm dealer picked this one up a few days back... any ideas on why it looks a bit odd? It almost has the characteristics of a Sabal Lisa but in a Mule Palm.

100_0629.jpg

Zone 9 Central Florida

It has a pinnate leaf, so its not a sabal at all. It does have a look of a mule palm, and I think thats what it is. Its a nice looking palm and a great fine :mrlooney:

Edited by chris78

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Yes, I know it's not actually a Sabal, I just meant that it has the look of a Sabal Lisa as in appearance to the way some of the leaves aren't fully opening or how ever you would describe it...

I just haven't ever seen a Mule Palm quite like this one. Maybe someone here has?

Zone 9 Central Florida

I just saw a Cocos nucifera in Key West that had a similar "fused" appearance, but I think it may have been due to a mineral deficiency. Does anybody else know if this is a possible cause of this condition? I'm pretty sure I've read of it before.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I just saw a Cocos nucifera in Key West that had a similar "fused" appearance, but I think it may have been due to a mineral deficiency. Does anybody else know if this is a possible cause of this condition? I'm pretty sure I've read of it before.

I've seen issues like that, but they were usually accompanied by yellow fronds and a over all sick looking palm. This one looks to be very healthy.

Zone 9 Central Florida

JayW:

Don't know what it is, to be honest, but waiting with baited (bated?) breath to find out.

Got your point about Sabals.

Hmm. Could well be a cool Hibe, with that airy crown, but not plumose leaves.

Very likely.

Your bud picked well!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Until I got mine a few weeks ago, I had only seen photos of mule palms. Mine is gorgeous of course, but is definately not plumose. With all the hybridisation going on the USA, it's possible that your palm is from a different butia species than the usual capitata. Whatever the X, enjoy your lovely big palm. I think its a pretty one.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I think I have an idea of what is going on here. There is a condition, and I think it is viral in nature, that affects Syagrus species, and possibly other genera. It causes fronds to be "conjugated", making for almost a simple leaf appearance. I forget the name of the condition, but it is genetic in nature, and two Syagrus in my neighborhood have it. It looks like this Mule may have had this Syagrus in its parentage.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Yeah, It's hard to see it in the picture (well, not too hard- what you see first is the pinnate fronds on the far right and left in the front), but I picked up what you were saying when you said S. 'Lisa'. It's not so much a cross between the two but it has the condition in the fronds of S.'Lisa'. Pretty cool. I've seen this condition in a Chamaerops as well. Whether it's a genetic mutation or something viral, I can't say. The Chamaerops I've seen with this condition is pretty old, and so's this palm above. Whatever it is, from what I've seen it doesn't seem to hurt or hinder the palm from growing any.

nice find, anyways!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Yeah, It's hard to see it in the picture (well, not too hard- what you see first is the pinnate fronds on the far right and left in the front), but I picked up what you were saying when you said S. 'Lisa'. It's not so much a cross between the two but it has the condition in the fronds of S.'Lisa'. Pretty cool. I've seen this condition in a Chamaerops as well. Whether it's a genetic mutation or something viral, I can't say. The Chamaerops I've seen with this condition is pretty old, and so's this palm above. Whatever it is, from what I've seen it doesn't seem to hurt or hinder the palm from growing any.

nice find, anyways!

edit: Oh, I guess CF nailed it as stated above, it's genetic.

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

looks heavily shade grown.

it also looks very similar to what sabal 'lisa' does. My friend Jeff found a local Butia exhibiting the congugated leaf form, heres a low res still of the Butia 'Jeffrey'

post-741-1277262319372_thumb.jpg

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Patrick mentioned he has seen this in Chamaerops. I too have seen this in a Med Fan, oddly beautiful. There are two in front of a business here in Phoenix, the smaller and lesser mutated one has seeds, hopefully they'll mature and I can gather some before the next landscaping schedule. Take a look...

Chamaerops Humilis

• Upvote 1

OOOOH they are cute too.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Doesnt Boron deficiency allegedly cause fronds like this ?

It will be interesting to see if it grows out of it now that its in different soil. That should confirm if its a genetic or mineral problem.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I remember Gileno showing me Cocos nucifera with fused leaves,if I remember well it is C.nucifera var.spicata (?)

The condition of adult plants remaining with the juvenile leaves is well known in Horticulture.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Dick Douglas has a Chamaerops that is fused together just like this, it is really interesting looking and some of the seed come true.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

That palm is a freak....but in a good way :)

Oakley, California

Jay it doesn't look like Sabal to me. Leafs are kinda different (just joking :P)

Well i would say its some kind of Butia x Syagrus hybrid with interesting leaf mutation. (like one in Chamaerops humilis "volcano", Sabal Lisa or Cocos nuciferas with undivided leafs)

Edited by Dundo

Patrick mentioned he has seen this in Chamaerops. I too have seen this in a Med Fan, oddly beautiful. There are two in front of a business here in Phoenix, the smaller and lesser mutated one has seeds, hopefully they'll mature and I can gather some before the next landscaping schedule. Take a look...

Chamaerops Humilis

i love these =]

Patrick Schafer will have some of my mutant Chamaerops for sale at the PS meeting at my place on Oct 3rd. The fronds are fused together and only have 3 or 4 blades. The fronds are thick like cardboard and are covered with silver tomentum. It's a dwarf Chamaerops with very small seeds, and can be grown in a pot for many years. It's definately a conversation piece in any palm collection. The palm has both male and female flowers and so far all the seedlings have come true like the mother plant.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Jay it doesn't look like Sabal to me. Leafs are kinda different (just joking :P)

Lol!!!

Thanks for all of the replies, folks. I guess palms are kinda like people, some are just very different looking! lol...

Zone 9 Central Florida

I concur with Frito on the heavily shade grown aspect of the palm also. Very cool looking and a great find. Just for sh%&$ and giggles....what did he pay for it....that things huge!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

It is a mutant i would imagine, and a pretty one at that! I fear my XButyagrus

(BXCocos) is a mutant as well. Only time will tell w/ mine.

Jay, you had asked if anyone had seen this condition before and apparently other people have. That is a fantastic specimen, good score!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Jay, you had asked if anyone had seen this condition before and apparently other people have. That is a fantastic specimen, good score!

Mark,

Please tell us it ain't so, that your B X Cocos might be a mutation. What leads you to think it might be a mutant? How did it weather the cold in Fla. last winter? At least your discovery led Matt in Temacula to try to hybridize Butia X Coconut, and apparently with some success. He has several seedlings that he believes are hybrids, but only time will tell.

I think the palm in question in this thread is a weird mutant. I have 3 old mules and none of them look alike.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Mark,

Please tell us it ain't so, that your B X Cocos might be a mutation. What leads you to think it might be a mutant? How did it weather the cold in Fla. last winter? At least your discovery led Matt in Temacula to try to hybridize Butia X Coconut, and apparently with some success. He has several seedlings that he believes are hybrids, but only time will tell.

I think the palm in question in this thread is a weird mutant. I have 3 old mules and none of them look alike.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Whatever it is Mark, it's a beauty. Got some time for an updated picture?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I concur with Frito on the heavily shade grown aspect of the palm also. Very cool looking and a great find. Just for sh%&$ and giggles....what did he pay for it....that things huge!

I'm not sure what he paid for it, maybe nothing. I think a lot of them that he gets, people just want them removed. He has a tree business.

Zone 9 Central Florida

Don't think its a nutrient defficiency, but a mutation. I've seen it in Cocos, Syagrus, Chamaerops, and now xButiagrus. Makes a very interesting conversation piece!

JD

Mark,

Dick

Dick,

I am praying that my palm is a BXCocos and not a mutant. I chickened out and covered it last winter but it did see 32f w/ light frost on one of the mornings that it was uncovered

and it had zero damage.

I agree w/ you in the fact that it promoted Spidey Matt to produce the BXCocos, so if Larry Noblick Identifies it as a mutant XButyagrus, well at least it did some good. It is a beautifull palm none the less and it looks like the real deal, so i am happy!

Matt, i will take a pic for you today!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Matt,

Here she is in all her glory! Has'nt grown much, but summer is now here and she'll pick up speed.

post-518-12775625323434_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark,

After seeing the latest photo of your palm, I'm thinking it's a mutant Butyagrus. If it were a Butia X Coconut hybrid the fronds should have gone pinate by now. At any rate you have a very unique palm, a one of a kind.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I already saw a Butia odorata like this here in Santa Maria and other next to Porto Alegre (South of Brazil) but the rachis isn't arching like that. Is this kind that people call by var. stricta?

Edited by kelen

Matt,

Here she is in all her glory! Has'nt grown much, but summer is now here and she'll pick up speed.

Mark, Why the ??? now on this hybrid ? Looking at the picture I see the BxCocos in the palm. What are people thinking it should look like?

Thanks Mark, it's a really cool looking palm, no matter what it is. It's going to be very unique.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Here's a short video of the transplant...

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida

Matt,

Mark, Why the ??? now on this hybrid ? Looking at the picture I see the BxCocos in the palm. What are people thinking it should look like?

Scott, Thanks for the encouragement!! I think that the cross BXCocos will look like this for sure but i am not certain that it would hold the strap leafs for so long as this one particular specimen has. I think that is what Dick is saying! One would think that it would have gone pinnate by now.

Either way, i am happy, like spidey Matt said,,, it is a beautifull palm!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark, I would not rule the palm out as ButiaXCocos. The ButiaXButiagrus cross I did held strap leaves for a longer period of time than any Butiagrus I have grown. I now have growing 4 S.romXButiagrus, and 2 still hold strap leaves and are the same size as the 2 that went pinnate in Dec. I think you have the real thing. You and your palm are breaking into new frontiers. You have gone where no man has gone before. If I am not mistaken isn't your ButiaXCocos the first Hybrid of its kind ? I can not understand how anyone knows what it should look like or how it should grow at this time.

Mark, I would not rule the palm out as ButiaXCocos. The ButiaXButiagrus cross I did held strap leaves for a longer period of time than any Butiagrus I have grown. I now have growing 4 S.romXButiagrus, and 2 still hold strap leaves and are the same size as the 2 that went pinnate in Dec. I think you have the real thing. You and your palm are breaking into new frontiers. You have gone where no man has gone before. If I am not mistaken isn't your ButiaXCocos the first Hybrid of its kind ? I can not understand how anyone knows what it should look like or how it should grow at this time.

Hey Scott,

I have'nt completely ruled it out! I have my fingers crossed! I have spoken w/ Larry Noblick and he said it needs to be a little larger for identification. I would imagine it will have to be when it flowers and he can study the inflorescence. We will all know by then for certain!

You have done some funky stuff too, keep up the good work!!

Jay,

Your boom truck is a strong one, that was a monster palm!!! Where in Central Florida are you?

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I have spoken w/ Larry Noblick and he said it needs to be a little larger for identification. I would imagine it will have to be when it flowers and he can study the inflorescence. We will all know by then for certain!

?

Mark, some baseball size mini coconuts growing on it should confirm it !!

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Jay,

Your boom truck is a strong one, that was a monster palm!!! Where in Central Florida are you?

Hi Mark,

That's actually my friends truck. He owns a tree business and sells cold hardy palms out of Bartow, Fl. It's his Mule palm.

Here's a link to his tree photos, look at those huge Pindos in containers! They're still for sale if anyone wants one! ;)

http://www.floridasbesttrees.com/photo_gallery

Video_3_0_02_01-01236171525_large.jpg

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida