IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

WOW, Kentiopsis piersoniorum news!

BS Man about Palms

Some of you may remember the "glory days" of one of my, if not my favorite palms, my Kentiopsis piersoniorum.

post-27-12695633037983_thumb.jpg

These 2 pix were taken almost 1 year ago. But soon after, DUM ASS roly poly's (pill bugs) attacked it!

post-27-12695633854989_thumb.jpg

It took some time for me to notice, but the palm kept leaning over further and further and when It was at about a 45 degree angle to the ground, I figured I had nothing to loose so I investigated. I dug out around the base of the palm and started inspecting. I used a dental mirror and found probably 40 pill bugs up under the palm at the root level just gnawing away. I know several folks think they won't eat live tissue, but I found several spots that were perfectly green like a mini-ice cream scoop had been used. FUNNY, just the same size as the Pill bug sitting it it!!!:rage::angry:

They were mowing it down and were more or less, 2/3 of the way through. The 1/3 side not eaten was the direction it leaned.

Give me a minute to find some "in-between pix".

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

OUCH!

Sorry to hear.

Kill Kill Kill . . . . :rage::angry::rage:

Maybe they're gophers in miniature . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill,

I hope it really pulls through for you and makes a full recovery. But just in case, I do know where there's a nice 3 footer in a 10 gallon pot. Perfectly grown.... :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You can see in this picture taken about 20 months ago, the K. p. already had a slight lean to it (to the direction it would lean), but was pretty healthy!

post-27-12695642205176_thumb.jpg

AFTER the bug debacle, this is what I ended up with, I decided to "undig" (Thanx Gary) the box and tilt it so the palm was straight up. I also had removed the bark and put sand around the base tightly to keep the pill bugs out. (From reading up, they need a moist air space to do their work in). I was worried about rot, so I figured builders sand would be the most benign.

Thus, it looked like this in July of last year.

post-27-12695642813945_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

I hope it really pulls through for you and makes a full recovery. But just in case, I do know where there's a nice 3 footer in a 10 gallon pot. Perfectly grown.... :D

Stay tuned for weird stuff.

It even was still looking like this in November of 2009. The spear was moving and it seemed to be getting a little more stable, actually a good bit more stable.

Then, I marked the spear, to see how fast it was moving..... it seemed to be the "kiss of spear death"... :(. But I was hoping that it was just REALLY busy making more roots as each time I tried to "wiggle it", it was getting more and more stable.

post-27-12695648700417_thumb.jpg

The spear turned brown, but the palm was getting MORE solid and the last leaves weren't changing color, so I was hoping... :blink:

I had poured some hydrogen peroxide down the crown to help (believe it or not the last bit of color/hope on the spear was gone the next day..:huh:)

I even performed some weird surgery a month or so ago to help prevent crown rot. (this pic from today shows what I had done) I looked where the oldest leaf base was starting to split anyway, and gently used my exacto knife to cut out the side to expose the growing point and more or less make a "drain" for the rain, etc.

post-27-12695652539522_thumb.jpg

You can see in this picture from today that the spear was definitely brown, but the old leaves looked fine. I have tugged on that thing off and on for a couple months now, but its tight.

post-27-12695656567926_thumb.jpg

SO, I'm out watering and starting to do a "big weeding" of the front yard and realized I hadn't looked at the K.p for a couple weeks, of course looking hagard thru the winter when some thing caught my eye...

post-27-12695658358763_thumb.jpg

WTF????

post-27-1269565975103_thumb.jpg

Actually, I KNOW WTF, but had not expected it. I thought about it some time back, but didn't think it would REALLY happen.

post-27-12695660229198_thumb.jpg

For those who can't quite make it out, It is PUSHING A NEW GROWING POINT! I hope it has lots of energy to do so! I fertilised it a bit to give it some extra oomph just before I took the pix...

Man o man, you can't keep a good palm down... (I hope) :unsure:

Well, at least his brother the Kentiopsis magnifica is standing right by him growing like a rocket to shade him if the need arises...:D

post-27-12695664882935_thumb.jpg

The petiole coming out is bigger than my thumb!

post-27-12695665505026_thumb.jpg

HOORAY FOR BS MAN!

The Ranch Hands all kiss him for his palmy machismo . . . .

You might want to remove parts that are blocking the new growth, if there are any, but in any even TELL US WHAT HAPPENS, OKAY, 'BANKY?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

HOORAY FOR BS MAN!

The Ranch Hands all kiss him for his palmy machismo . . . .

You might want to remove parts that are blocking the new growth, if there are any, but in any even TELL US WHAT HAPPENS, OKAY, 'BANKY?

Updates will be provided....:)

That KP is sketchy but that magnifica is really nice. Easily top one or two in your garden planted at least. Hey Jeff save that 10g for me when I come down, BS would just kill it.

San Marcos CA

That KP is sketchy but that magnifica is really nice. Easily top one or two in your garden planted at least. Hey Jeff save that 10g for me when I come down, BS would just kill it.

If Jeff, sold that to you, you got part of your statement right...<_< Change "it" for "me".

Bill,

I don't think that palm was ready to leave you :crying: It pushed the boundries of death back :wub:

I been prayin' for it! I'm REALLY happy about this turn of events, based on what I saw over the last 6 months or so.

AND?

AND?

Maybe not clear Dave. Post #9 happened TODAY....

Good news homey.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Heres a 1 week update. It looks like its GROWING. :drool:

post-27-12701647417998_thumb.jpg post-27-12701647897213_thumb.jpg

I suspect I'll go further than a week between updates or I'll be at 5 pages before the first leaf opens :P

I suspect I'll go further than a week between updates or I'll be at 5 pages before the first leaf opens :P

Oh good! Thank-you for sparing us this! :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Go talk on the mulch thread already.... :angry:

Sorry- Thanks:)

Go talk on the mulch thread already.... :angry:

Sorry- Thanks:)

good one,BS man! :floor:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 2 weeks later...

OK- So here it is after 11 more days and a couple rain storms.. (probably an inch or so of rain) I hope its not TOO boring for you... :mrlooney: But at least it looks like it will do what I was hoping. (Grow "extra-sized" because it already has a big/good root system.)

post-27-12711220855672_thumb.jpg post-27-12711221403896_thumb.jpg

Oh, the "red" on the ground is Cayenne pepper to keep the Raccoons out of there.

Pull the plug man. It's like a blind,three legged old dog. Put it out of it's misery. Just kidding hope it comes through.

Edited by Shon

San Marcos CA

i have a d.leptochielos that did the same thing.

glad yer innit for the "long haul!"

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I hope to not resort to gun play...

• 2 weeks later...

A whole 10 days. What? I'm anxious. I think the cool weather has slowed it a bit.

post-27-12719499354954_thumb.jpg post-27-1271950029061_thumb.jpg

So what do you do about pill bugs? I see them all around my pots in the grass, should I worry?

There is no worry. The ONLY person to ever have a palm eaten by Pill bugs is Bill. He has some terminator pill bugs I guess. I saw the palm in person and I saw fungus and my guess was the bugs ate the rotting material to the healthy tissue. If pill bugs could eat healthy material, the whole palm kingdom would be in trouble. You can even Google them and it clearly states they do not have the mouth parts for live material chewing, especially palms.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So what do you do about pill bugs? I see them all around my pots in the grass, should I worry?

There is no worry. The ONLY person to ever have a palm eaten by Pill bugs is Bill. He has some terminator pill bugs I guess. I saw the palm in person and I saw fungus and my guess was the bugs ate the rotting material to the healthy tissue. If pill bugs could eat healthy material, the whole palm kingdom would be in trouble. You can even Google them and it clearly states they do not have the mouth parts for live material chewing, especially palms.

OK thanks

Len- I STILL beg to differ. While you may be correct about mine being the only "palm", when I found them I did a LOT of reading on the net about them and getting rid of them. While they are overwhelmingly seen as bugs that eat only rotting material, I FOUND WAY MORE THAN 1 PERSON THAT SAID THEY HAD EATEN THEIR YOUNG FRESH GROWTH or seedlings. That being said I suspect somewhere in the middle is correct, if the plant material is soft and tasty enough, I suspect they'll eat it. :mrlooney: So there, take that.

Oh yeah, I hope none of your palms go that way...

New-

One of the easiest things I saw to get rid of them or reduce is to note they are in the crustacean family and cannot take it if the humidity is below I think 55%. So It was suggested a lot to merely set a wet folded up newspaper by the plant overnight. They will gravitate to the moisture and in the morning throw the newspaper away. Easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still plodding along, but the oldest leaf has taken a turn for the worse (expected )

I hope the new leaf hurries up! But it looks like its starting a new trunk AND leaf at the same time! (no small feat if I do say-so myself!)

post-27-12731273202183_thumb.jpg post-27-12731273677751_thumb.jpg

Very Cool! (Or as I used to say neat 'o keen!)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow after 10 days, but it looks like its still moving. I guess I should mark it. Probably paranoia on my part, but the last time I did, it stopped growing. :(

post-27-12739455110043_thumb.jpg

Progress is slow after 10 days, but it looks like its still moving. I guess I should mark it. Probably paranoia on my part, but the last time I did, it stopped growing. :(

post-27-12739455110043_thumb.jpg

Progress is progress Bill, slowness is in the eye of the ....well, you know what I mean, the damn thing looks full of life from over here........don't mark it, no, marking is bad, don't do it....

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.