IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

San Diego Backcountry

osideterry

It's been a long time since I posted a photo thread, so let's see if I remember how this thing works.

My twin brother Larry came out for the weekend. He was so sick of winter in Kansas City, he wanted me to drag him out to the desert and leave him on rock to warm up like a lizard. No problem. But first I wanted to get to the top of a mountain.

Here is Larry and I near the trailhead with Stonewall Peak, our destination, 900 ft above us.

post-662-12683443572229_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

My son Joel wanted to join us, as he likes hanging out with Uncle Larry. Here is a photo of Joel and I as we near the home stretch.

post-662-12683445748431_thumb.jpg

Stonewall looks way more impressive than it is difficult. Still, it is the single sharpest pinnacle of a summit I've ever hiked. It's a lot like Morro Rock in Sequoia National Park. The following are photos of me on the rail, the view back toward Lake Cuyamaca, and Larry and Joel at the top.

post-662-1268344750076_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683447851741_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683448062545_thumb.jpg

I ventured off trail to get photos looking back up at Joel and Larry peak baggin'.

post-662-12683449457095_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683449605716_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to Saturday. We drive out to Borrego Springs so Larry can actually get warm for the first time in 4 months. The weather was sunny and warmer than expected as we hit the trailhead. (That's me, not Larry.)

There was lots of ocotillo out there. I understand it can grow like this in a matter of days after a good rain.

post-662-12683451763073_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683472129672_thumb.jpg

Now I'll just let the photos talk....

post-662-12683473123559_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683473412628_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683473667988_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683473866834_thumb.jpg

As you can see a fire has recently been through. That's me taking a photo, the photo, and yes I wear a fanny pack when I hike.

post-662-12683474871462_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683475040213_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683475281306_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683475513421_thumb.jpg

Back into the oasis again. That's Larry, not me. I use to say that a lot while doing family slideshows. All the bad photos got to be Larry.

post-662-1268347737721_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683477538764_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683477745648_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683478045307_thumb.jpg

Larry actually brought a small easel thing called a "thumb box" and did a 1-hour plein air study. I didn't take a photo, but will post it after he finishes it in his studio. The second photo is him heading back down the trail. The third photo is the view back into the valley. The last pic is a baby Washy filifera. Maybe I should have dug one up and stuffed it in my fanny pack?

That's it. I'll add photos of the paintings later.

post-662-12683480013935_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683480193004_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683480350834_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683480497123_thumb.jpg

post-662-12683480799146_thumb.jpg

Terry...you BOTH are wearing fanny packs! GREAT pics of the oasis. I especially liked the 4th pic in post #6.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

great shots,terry.

my parents live in borrego springs a few miles form the park.i have been thinking about taking that hike again since its been quite a few yrs since i did it!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Joe - Would you believe we traded fanny packs because mine fit his "thumb box"? I actually get more abuse about the trekking poles. Fanny packs and trekking poles are the only way to hike.

Paul - It's an easy hike, 3 miles total and level. There were OLD people on the trail. Do it on a Wednesday to avoid a bunch of people.

Terry, what a privilege to live so close to groves of the West's only native palm (in the U.S.). It seems ironic that W. filifera is not used more considering it is closest geographically. I had a great opportunity to visit the northernmost Washingtonia grove in Southern Nevada over the summer, and wow! It was truly magnificent to see that firsthand. I think you've inspired me to post pictures from that event.

Wonderful pictures! I'm glad you found such a good way to give your brother a break from the cold!

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Great Trip coverage Terry, Thanks!

I've made that Stonewall peak hike a couple times, its fun!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Fantastic pictures Terry ,beautiful scenery.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Nice pics Terry, looks like you guys had a good time.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Excellent photos, Terry! Stonewall Peak is a nice walk for a quick view, but if you want a little exercise, cross the road and walk up Cuyamaca Peak. Great views from there as well. (Well, knowing you, you've probably done that several times.)

Love your photos of the W. filifera groves. Haven't been out there for a couple of years. This should be a great spring for wildflowers -- did you see any blooming yet?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Terry,

That's pretty spectacular! Love those photos! When we lived in the San Diego area, and had visitors from out of town, one of my favorite excursions was to drive up to Julian and then down the mountain to Borrego Springs. The change in environment and climate in that short 30 minute drive is pretty incredible.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

palmcurry - Descanso... Have you hiked Lawton (Lawson?) Peak. It's always been on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Any peak that requires climbing through a cave to reach the summit would be fun.

Kim - I've hiked Cuyamaca Peak, and particularly love the view from the saddle north and below the summit. This was my first time hiking in Cuyamaca since the 2003 Cedar Fire. I just haven't had the heart. As you know the incredible loss not only of mature conifers, but a number of thousand-year old California Live Oaks. Right now there are lots of the small, daintier wildflowers in Borrego Palm canyon. I want to go back in a month when the beavertail cactus are blooming their big papery flowers.

Can't get enough of those Washies in natural habitat.It will be great to see your brother's rendition.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks Terry, just beautiful.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for the hiking tour and seeing the Washintonia in habitat. The California desert has a different beauty all of its own.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Terry, lovely photos of a very scenic area. Those filiferas are great!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Gotta love Washies in the wild. Thanks for posting.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Terry, thanks for the photo tour. The oasis pics are incredible!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great pics, Terry!

Some of those ended up as backgrounds . . . . especially that one with the river gushing past the young Washie . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Terry...you BOTH are wearing fanny packs! GREAT pics of the oasis. I especially liked the 4th pic in post #6.

ditto on that pic. thanks for posting, too cool.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 7 months later...

As an update, here is my brother's painting from the hike...

post-662-086768900 1294356726_thumb.jpg

post-662-071043500 1294356734_thumb.jpg

Awesome painting, does he use oil or water colors? Does he have a website where he sells them?

Thx, Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Awesome. Weren't you starting to paint as well? Seems like I remember you doing something like that a couple of years back.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Very impressive!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Terry,

What trail is this? Looks like one we need to visit while we are there.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Oops, I forgot to check back with this topic.

Here is Larry's website: http://larrydegraff.com/

Here is his blog, where he shows demonstrations, including this painting: http://jacobsstew.blogspot.com/

Gary - He is currently doing only oil, but has done watercolor and pastel previously. Next time he's out, could we come by your place to paint? :rolleyes:

Kitty - The painting is from the Borrego Palm Canyon Hike much spoken of in your thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Terry, what a privilege to live so close to groves of the West's only native palm (in the U.S.). It seems ironic that W. filifera is not used more considering it is closest geographically. I had a great opportunity to visit the northernmost Washingtonia grove in Southern Nevada over the summer, and wow! It was truly magnificent to see that firsthand. I think you've inspired me to post pictures from that event.

Wonderful pictures! I'm glad you found such a good way to give your brother a break from the cold!

Terry, thanks for sharing your interesting visit to these two areas east of San Diego and it's always interesting to see native palms in habitat.

While it's true that Washingtonia filifera is the U.S. West's only native palm, Brahea armata is very close to being another, as it is found in Baja California in Guadalupe Canyon just across the Mexican border. It's a beautiful setting with lots of palms.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!