IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who else in Texas has one of these?

oliver

Got this one from Phil I believe about 3 years ago in a 5 gallon. Was a little slow at first, but is one of my fastest growing palms in the past 2 years - at least 7 or 8 new fronds per year right through the winter. It has seen 34 degrees for 6 hrs or so with only a little bit of leaf yellowing. It gets the runoff from my pool deck and the ground is always very wet - in fact when we actually get some rain, it is sitting in standing water for a couple of days at a time. This is a great palm for South Texas!

post-891-1256411857_thumb.jpg

Wow Oliver, very nice! :)

I just stopped at my parent's place on the way home and saw theirs is about the same size.

Keep up the good work! Wonder who else has them in TX?

I would love to see more pics of palms in South Texas and also the Houston area. We never get enough posters from TX.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Yes David - it is a Carpoxylon. I have 5 or 6 of them in the ground and most are doing very well. And epicure, we have a few avid palm collectors in deep South Texas (where the climate is totally different than Houston) but not too many on this board. Our climate here in Brownsville is kind of a combination of South Florida and Southern California. We do have very hot summers like Fla, but we don't get as much rain. Since I have been here (14 yrs) I have only seen the temp drop below 32 once, and that was associated with the only snow that this area has received in at least 100 years. Within 4 hours of the snow, the sun came out and it warmed into the 70's. We are growing quite a few quasi tropical things such as coconuts, Bismarkias and Veitchias. I'm sure after global warming is reversed, that we will get a wicked cold front and all of them will die, but for now we are having fun.

Mod Edit: Political reference was removed.

Great looking carpoxylon. :greenthumb: It is good to see these can survive the heat. Do you think this is due to all that water this particular palnt is getting?

Laura

Edited by LauraAnu

I think that this particular one is growing faster than the others because of the water, but I have several others that don't get nearly as much water and they are doing reasonably well also. We had a particularly hot summer this year and I did not lose any of the Carpoxylons although I did lose a lot of others which basically just cooked. (Burretiokentias and Arecas to name a few)

Maybe you can post some pictures of your other palms and plants. Would love to see them. Your Carpoxylon is very beautiful.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Oliver, Great Carpoxolon! It is great to see all of the Tropicals that grow in the Rio Grande Valley. I agree that more pictures of things like your Coconuts and Royals and all the other suprises would be great!

What you look for is what is looking

Epicure, you can always see plenty of south & central Texas palms at PSST , go to the previous meetings page. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

That's absolutely amazing growth. I have a Carpoxylon, that was a 5 gallon from that same batch of Phil's 3 years ago, and it's only 2" at the base and stands 18" tall. What the heck?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think the high hunidity and heat along with the fact that this one is getting tons of water are helping. I have a few others around the yard and they are only half as big. This one also gets full, blazing, all day sun. I'll try to get around and take some pictures of some other stuff.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm dying to know if this Carpoxylon is still alive.

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Great Carpoxie!

They'll not grow for me at all.

Hmm. Be wary of the Blue Northers. When they come, there is nothing to stop them, between you and the North Pole.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I would venture a guess you have the largest on the mainland outside of So. Florida. Good job. It bodes well for eventual success in SoCal.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 years later...

Ok, I know this already got bumped once, but I'd still like to know if this is still alive, anyone know?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

That one died of unknown causes (likely a rhinocerus beetle) but I have another one that is almost as big and survived the ice storm of 2010. Only 1 out of 6 of my coconuts survived that storm.

Looking forward to the update, that Carpoxylon looks great! Can't imagine what it looks like now.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Too bad about the one that died and the cocos but it's also encouraging about the ones that survived 2010. Can't wait to see updated pics!

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.