IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Unbelievable discovery!

pogobob

:drool: Wow ! This is THEE most beutiful palm for all us tropically challenged palm addicts YET!! :blink: You can boast about yer Lipstik palms, yer Orangecrush, But I am here today to unveil something EXRAORDINARY and shure to cause night sweats and heart palpatations around the planet for all my brothers and sisters in the temperate and mediteranian zones... are You readddy!? :huh:

This is purple crownshaft Rhopalostylis Sapida whose origin is Mt Hautura Little Barrier Island in the Bay of Isles region New Zealand. This was a seed collected palm from the early 1990's from an expat american friend of mine who sent the seeds to a few select people, and this is the only one that I know of that was planted out and is now producing seed. I have convinced my ambiguous friend that I need to make this palm available to the those deserving this truly unique colorful palm, so stay tuned as I will be making this happen soon! :)

post-406-1247373885_thumb.jpg

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

:drool: Wow ! This is THEE most beutiful palm for all us tropically challenged palm addicts YET!! :blink: You can boast about yer Lipstik palms, yer Orangecrush, But I am here today to unveil something EXRAORDINARY and shure to cause night sweats and heart palpatations around the planet for all my brothers and sisters in the temperate and mediteranian zones... are You readddy!? :huh:

This is purple crownshaft Rhopalostylis Sapida whose origin is Mt Hautura Little Barrier Island in the Bay of Isles region New Zealand. This was a seed collected palm from the early 1990's from an expat american friend of mine who sent the seeds to a few select people, and this is the only one that I know of that was planted out and is now producing seed. I have convinced my ambiguous friend that I need to make this palm available to the those deserving this truly unique colorful palm, so stay tuned as I will be making this happen soon! :)

post-406-1247373932_thumb.jpg

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Ya, whatever. <_< Been there, done that.

Just kidding, of course. Where can you even get this palm????

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hey! I know where that is! And its not at your place....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a beauty Bob

So this palm is growing at your mates place ? did i get that right .

The P . Reclinata and Spare washingtona has to be dug and planted elsewhere my place is becoming Oceana territory .

BTW Bob I have your R chatham Island seed sowed in everywhere , outside in community pots, in clear plastic containers with a mix of NZ peat and perlite outside we are warmer than Chatham Is in winter anyway .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Well, dang, pogobob, look what you did!

Made me run screaming in the middle of the night . . . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bob, I'll get in line for some seed. I'm just saying...

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

OOOOH Gimme gimme ! That is a pretty palm. Sadly seeds and me do not have a happy history. I can germinate Queens and Alexes, well to be truthful, they sort of do it all by themselves, but give me a seed of something worth having and I will rot it everytime. One of these days I will find out where Chatham Is. actually is. I must know someone who goes there !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Mr. Pogobob,

Congratulations !! You must feel like John Dransfield right now !!! :lol: !!

Anyway, do you have pictures of the entire palm ?

Secondly, how does one get in line ??? :drool:

Manny

Pogo, Purple crownshaft Rhopie :drool: ! I'm thinking there might just be a market for those :hmm: .She's a beauty!!! I have Little Barrier planted at the resort but it is light years away from a crownshaft. They were sent to me from a secret source who told me that the whole island is a conservatory so they won't let just any old palm freak on the island to shlep around scavenging seeds :rolleyes: .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

PogoBob - That Rhopy is reminding me of this one madagascarbob posted photos of a year ago. Any possible connection?

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry218709

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Love the color of that Palm. It will definitely be a big hit!

What you look for is what is looking

If you know whats good for you, you will stay silent and maybe I'll give you a seed! :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

How long does it stay purple? Did the last leaf fall off by itself or was there a little persuasion?!

No persuasion as the pics show the expanding purple flower cover blowing open. This palm always stays colored and is becomeing more so as it matures :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Pogo, Purple crownshaft Rhopie :drool: ! I'm thinking there might just be a market for those :hmm: .She's a beauty!!! I have Little Barrier planted at the resort but it is light years away from a crownshaft. They were sent to me from a secret source who told me that the whole island is a conservatory so they won't let just any old palm freak on the island to shlep around scavenging seeds :rolleyes: .

Stevo

You can't stop surfers in boats who also happen to be palm collecters from exploring remote places. I do remember my friend telling me the seed came from a small group of dwarf palms located up in the high cloud forest on Mt. Hautura. :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

If you know whats good for you, you will stay silent and maybe I'll give you a seed! :lol:

If its germinated, OK. :rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I do remember my friend telling me the seed came from a small group of dwarf palms located up in the high cloud forest on Mt. Hautura. :)

Sorry, I misheard you. Either way, maybe I can get my pixies to talk with your pixies regarding some of these magical seeds, please, Bob. Thanks.

dwarves.jpg

Thats a cracker alright!

Another reason to confirm R. sapida as my favorite palm....

By the way Bob, Troy passed on to me a small heap of the Chathams (and S. 'abreojos') seed you sent him - so thank you very much in a second-hand kind of way!

Hopefully a few of these purple beauties can find their way to this end of the world at some stage :drool:

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

The accepted name according to Kew is:

Rhopalostylis sapida var. 'pogopurpurea'

Common Name: 'Purple Pogo Palm'!

Cheers,

John Dransfield

....oh alright, I'm not really Him, but the name should stick.....it has quite a tang!!

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

hey pogo yer spelling suddenly got worse.looks to me like :yay::yay::yay:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dang, I didn't think you could grow this one so nice in So-Cal. Mine's almost as big here. But very nice!!!!! :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dang, I didn't think you could grow this one so nice in So-Cal. Mine's almost as big here. But very nice!!!!! :)

Jeff

Almost as nice as my Carpoxylon! :lol: Oh shure!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I Didn't know you could grow rhopalostylis sapida in Florida , i was under the impression that it was way too hot and humid for these palms down there.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I Didn't know you could grow rhopalostylis sapida in Florida , i was under the impression that it was way too hot and humid for these palms down there.

Jeff has fantasies like that :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Yea, I was just daydreaming for sure. Either that, or it's a case of heat stroke! :) But seriously, these palms won't grow here, it would be a hell of a nice addition to the collection. But you just can't grow it all. Just like Carpoxylons, Coconuts, Satakentias, Royals, Licualas, etc.

Beautiful palm!!!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Yea, I was just daydreaming for sure. Either that, or it's a case of heat stroke! :) But seriously, these palms won't grow here, it would be a hell of a nice addition to the collection. But you just can't grow it all. Just like Carpoxylons, Coconuts, Satakentias, Royals, Licualas, etc.

Beautiful palm!!!!

Jeff

Waaaahhhhh!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Beautiful palm!!!!

Jeff

Waaaahhhhh!

Okay as I can grow all of the above maybe I shouldnt whine about my weird climate anymore

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.