IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clayton's Dypsis pulifera

Walter John

Here 's the growth results of Dypsis pulifera aka "orange crush" after 10 to 15 years in sub tropical climate, with generous mulching. Multi planted with one of the resident Rottweillers for perspective.

post-51-1231416443_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231416498_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231416584_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Approaching Utopia and down the main entrance road, you know that this is the Lord of the Rings of palm tree growers, at least for this neck of the woods.

post-51-1231416820_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231416856_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

How about these wonderful Chamaedoreas, ah, I think that's what they are, I can't remember what Clayton said they were now..

Anyone care to confirm ID ? not a trick, I honestly don't recall what they are, very beautiful and short.

post-51-1231417298_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417330_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417400_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417426_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417449_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

High on the hill WAS the lonely goatherd, and you thought I was kidding..

post-51-1231417641_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417665_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I just checked out Clayton's another thread and yes ...that's a dypsis!! ...no wonder why clayton said we could be confused this species easily with Chamaedorea ... :blink:

Wow, neat looking Dypsis! Do we know what species it is and how tall they grow?

Looks like they can be tucked under other palms and plants quite nicely.

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Sorry Wal, but I can't call his area "sub tropical climate" when I see Coconuts lining his driveway. :lol:

Here 's the growth results of Dypsis pulifera aka "orange crush" after 10 to 15 years in sub tropical climate, with generous mulching. Multi planted with one of the resident Rottweillers for perspective.

post-51-1231416443_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231416498_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231416584_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Clayton's place is rather unique in my opinion. He can grow stuff that other people around him can't. It must be the position of his property or the microclimate!!! I love those, Clayton... remember me when you have some seedlings. We shall see whether it takes 10 years for me..

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Actually most of south Florida falls under the description of sub tropical, NOT tropical.

Subtropical Florida

This physiographic area is entirely contained within Florida, and extends from the northern edge of Lake Okeechobee south through the Florida Keys. The region has very little topographic relief, but slight changes in elevation have important consequences for vegetation and the diversity of habitat types. The highest points of elevation are less than 2 meters and correspond with fairly recent shorelines (less than 5,000 years before present). Underlying sediments consist of freshwater marl, peat, freshwater lake and marine sediments, and to a lesser extent, sand deposited during the Pleistocene and Holocene.

01_xx.jpg

They have tens of thousands of coconuts there! :winkie:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Dear Wal :)

Nice stills,but are their more stills comming from this visit ? :hmm::drool:

Thanks & love,

Kris :)

Okay Kris, I have just a couple more, I wasn't in my photo mood really.

I took pics of Clayton's Pinanga coronata plants in the nursery because of how happy and beautiful looking they were, I have never seen Pinanga so green and strong before. This is not an intended plug, I was really impressed with these. Do you have these Kris ?

post-51-1231455441_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231455473_thumb.jpg

Mmmm....dasyantha

:drool:

post-51-1231455653_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231455693_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Two ultra slow growing Dypsis, we looked under the skirts and saw no red, some white though.

What were these Clayton ?

post-51-1231456102_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231456136_thumb.jpg

This was an impressive Heliconia clump, not all palms at Utopia.

post-51-1231456267_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231456317_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a closer look at the bases of those puliferas.

post-51-1231458618_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231458698_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Kind of looks like what is going around as Dypsis hovomantsina and Dypsis Sp. Green Boresy.

Two ultra slow growing Dypsis, we looked under the skirts and saw no red, some white though.

What were these Clayton ?

post-51-1231456102_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231456136_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The palms in post #14 look like Dypsis hovomantsiana.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice stills,but are their more stills comming from this visit ? :hmm::drool:

Thanks & love,

Especially for Kris, the Corypha Kid from Katmandu.

These pics have just flown in from Clayton's. Corypha umbraculifera in "Petiole my Petiole".

post-51-1231459283_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231459329_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231459375_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231459420_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

thanks for the visuals and the corypha's in the above stills have brought be to my knees and i was worshipping them...in awe & wonder :drool::yay:

And its becoming clearer as days go by that iam out & out a fan of the Coryphas & the phoenix.And in future if i can grow the double coconut & tahanis.i think iam done with my palm collection.and i must say weak looking plants has never caught my attention.its a indication that iam no palm conossiour. :(

When i see the heavy trunking palms or boaboabs,they give me visual delight as though iam watching bay-watch with caremen electra comming out from the sea or pool... :mrlooney:

So Wal convey my thanks to dear clayton for that fentastic baby corypha taliera...with its yellow fronds looks like a super charged baby yellow latania :lol:

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I'd be shocked if this was not Dypsis Hovomantsina Great close up Wal....wish we had a up close of Marcus's to compare! :rolleyes:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

How about these wonderful Chamaedoreas, ah, I think that's what they are, I can't remember what Clayton said they were now..

Anyone care to confirm ID ? not a trick, I honestly don't recall what they are, very beautiful and short.

post-51-1231417298_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417330_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417400_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417426_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231417449_thumb.jpg

They look like C. ernest-augustii, though much darker green than I'm used to.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They are an undescribed Dypsis sp. maybe it should be called D.chamadoreaoides.

Lovely Selaginella fern growing on the rocks .. its electric blue nearly makes the palm look green in comparison.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.