IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

'November Rain'

Kris

Dear friends :)

Last month,during the final weeks of November'08 we in chennai experienced enormous amount of rainfall..i have observed that basically chennai(madras) was drought prone region for years togather.but after the Tsuanani & earthquake in southeast asian region,whole of south india is experiencing heavy & abnormal amount of rainfall for the past 3 to 4 years.and the ground water level is high past 2 years now.And the result the water from the monsoon rains seem to stagnate everywhere.and the last week of november month was really miserable for chennaites.no power supply,no drinking water supply,seweage water flooting on the streets,etc.most of the people living in lower regions had to be vacated to near-by govt schools & colleages.and the local reservoirs were full,so water had to be sent out to the sea.And basically tamil nadu is a flattened plain region with most areas having predominent clayee soil which had fecilitated in rice(paddy cultivation)for ages ! And the state goverment estimate of the cultivable lands flood damage is around 1000 crores as of now.

And our entire city looked flooded. :(

In the following post i will upload stills for you to see what it has done to our palms,and most of the regulars to my threads would have known that i have dug huge pits inside our garden to fecilitate easy rainwater drainage.but inspite of it water did stagnate here for around 2 full days,while in our neighbours garden the rain water stagnated for around 5 to 6 days ! :crying:

I think i have spoken enough,shall we have some visuals showing waterclogging & its effect on our palms... :hmm:

Love,

Kris :violin:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

By the way friends,it appears that our climate is most suited for lipsticks & nypha fruticas... :blink: And is not sutiable for the deasert palms or the phoenix species ! :angry:

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey Kris, i hope everything makes it through OK. On the bright side, you could grow some really neat water loving palms. I know you love phoenix and the other desert palms out there but there are so many really cool palms that you could grow where you are. AND I bet with your dilgence and your attention to detail, you will bbe able to find a way for the desert palms to thrive in your garden. ;)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Dear Bill :)

Thanks for dropping by ! and those comments are really warm boosters,at this wet season here... :)

More stills are just comming your way friends !

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow Kris, thats amazing! Maybe you can keep your desert palms inside! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Now shall we move on to the terrrace garden region.. :hmm: But things have not improved here too,since all pots & barrels were loosing porous soil quite soon ! :huh: even some of which are yet to host some palms in them... :blink:

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

These pots were bought around 2 years back,all small to medium sized terracotta pots..but after really growing some palms over a couple of years,i realised that they are virtually of no use to grow palms..since i feel that they are no match to the big industrial barrels since they accomadate the palms roots better and need no repotting often.. :rolleyes:

IMG_1642.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

the cardboard palm(Zamia)Do not seem mind this wet weather at the moment,and its putting out new flush of leaves... :hmm:

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

The cactus section...i have some agaves,yuccos,adeniums & some prickely pears too amoung them.. :rolleyes:

IMG_1646.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now a still for true 'Phoenix' lover... :mrlooney:And while taking the following stills it had started raining heavily onceagain ! :angry:

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Some close-ups for you all to see where those baby palms are all situated ? :lol:

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, I know all this standing water is horrible and I really feel for you having to endure what you described. On the flip side I would say your plants appear to be loving it. I know your intent was to show the standing water, but your plants look great.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Wow Kris! And I thought WE got a lot of rain here! I hope the water subsides soon.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Kris, may thee water retreat soon.

I started loving cactus before I got into palms about 4 years ago. I realized the clay soil and are relatively heavy amount of rains and not having full sun wasnt a conducive climae or enviroment for me to grow the plants. I have a few yuccas and agaves and a couple cactus.

I since love palms much more and have found hardy varieties I can grow here to make the best of what mother nature lets me grow.

That Ravena (rivalrus) Majesty would love to be grounded and out of the blue barell on your rooftop. I cant overwater mine and even in winter conditions here it growns new fronds.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Kris, look at it positively!! You don't need to water your garden!!!!!! :lol:

Joke apart, also here in Rome we having heavy rain!!! Many trees have fallen, with strong wind that came with the rain!!, The streets are like river, and my humor is very bad with this weather!!

Anyway, the sun come back always, sooner or later!!

A big embrace . your brother M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Hi Kris

I've heard of the heavy monsoon you guys are having in southern India on CNN...I feel sorry for the trouble it has caused to Chennai. How many mm of rainfall have you had there for last few days?

We're bone dry at the moment up here in Northeastern coast of Brazil... but in Santa Catarina, in the south, they've had terrible flooding rains just a few days ago that paralyzed the region and caused severe damage too.

Your plants all look perfect though. Loved the Chamaerops, looks a lot like one of mine...

Your garden looks like a quiet perfect place for meditation. Hope everything is fine with your family and hopefully the rain has given you a break by now...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

For some reason November Rain brings along sad connotations.

GNR.jpg

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Kris, try to keep your desert palms dry during all this... hope you and your palms are ok! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Dear Friends :)

Once i finish uploading the stills i will speak to each one of you...Now here are few more stills,this time lets see the casualities..like always the washy filifera was purposely kept out in the open to see what happens.And here are the results !

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

By the way this palm is recovering very fast since its not planted in the ground where the situation is still wet & sticky ! like the marshy land.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

i hope you have a boat :lol:

how is the drainage there? will it soak in fast or is the soil already to water-logged?

as others have said the plants all look great & you have a marvelous collection!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

As iam typing this,it has started to rain heavily once again...hope this spell does not last too long...a9d6cb35.gif

Now lets see how the P.Sylversteris is doing.. :huh:

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

Now lets zoom closer as to see the condition of this baby.. :hmm: 2 New spears from the recent flush of leaves have rotted,of which one spear has landed in the ground,while the other is still sticking with bunch of new flush..?

IMG_1682.jpg

Now shall be examine the other spear that has fallen off without blooming into a full grown leaf... :(

IMG_1664.jpg

Lets closer examine it do anyone know what is happening,is it fungus attack or some bugs breading in the heart of this P.Sylversteris ? Please explain ! :huh:

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

hello

is there a new spear growing?i think the core has rotten, it is certainly due to much water in the top of the palm

it is very common here in cool and wet climate :winkie: the spear come easily and the growth often continues without problem after fungus treatment :)

Edited by arashi

winter Low 2008/2009 : -5,7°C / 21,7°F

january average : 0,8°C / 8,5°C // 33.44°F / 47.3°F

august average : 15,5°C / 31.1°C// 60°F / 88°F

Rain 988mm

Sunshine : more than 2500 hours/year

Hello Kris,

I'm sorry to see you have so much rain at one time. It can cause some problems. I believe almost all your palms still great and will pull through this period of tragic rains.

I would suggest when the rains start to subside, if you have any palms that look like their suffering a bit, give them a good drench of a fungicide to treat for any fungus or bacteria you have in the soil that could cause root rot and lead furthermore to the palm dieing. Keep good air circulation around your palms too.

Has the rains started to let up today?

Take care,

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dear Friends thanks for those kinds words & for enquiring about the condition of our weather here.

At the moment the water has dried from our garden and from the city roads and last week we did have a gentle spell of rain but not heavy but today morning weather report is that few mild showers are expected in days to come.

And dear 007 i have not though about giving mild fungicide treatement to plams that are looking weak or battered by the rains..thanks for the reminder i will soon starting working on that.many be this would reduce the damage on my entire palm collection that is building gradually over the years..

I will keep you all informed about the progress we are making in this regard !

484dddce.gif

Kris 095c6ccf.gif

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thats beautiful Kris, nice garden. If the area stays wet it will be perfect to plant Ravenea Musicalis.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Dear Gary :)

Thanks for visiting & your suggestions taken..even i was thinking of trying nypha fruticas,Mauritia Flexuosa,Ravenea,etc.And the top soil though visibly appears wet & sticky in some shady regions of the garden but soil will remain soft & wet for next 4 months,after which we will experience hot summers & sometimes even in our summers we will have moderate rains with high humidity !

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends

I must say that just a couple of days back i noticed that one huge grown Med Fan palm that you can see in the above stills,in a big blue barrel has started shrinking and started to die.i want to know are these as delicate as desert fan palms ? :hmm:

i will post those stills soon ! And by the way i have given all the needed treatment to this palm.. :huh:

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen :)

Here are the visuals ! :(

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

by the way these stills were taken a week ago,now every morning we experience mild dizziling with heavy mist.and the drying of leaves is rapid in the main stem or trunk section.but the side sprouts seem to be okay with no drying of leaves as of now.i will post stills of the present stage soon.By the way is this guy(Med Fan too a dry region palm or desert palm ?)it does not seem to like winter rains... :hmm:

Kris :crying:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 10 months later...

The phoenix sylversteris has reacted well for the rains,its native to this region..

IMG_4502.jpg

The following stills were taken the following morning,while previous night we had good rains..

This CIDP Red fruticas,is planted in soil ammended region yet the rain water is seen clogging its root & trunk region !

IMG_4501.jpg

While the Brahea Armada Palm area looks neat & tidy,no severe water clogging in this soil ammended region with raised planter seems to work well ! :winkie:

IMG_4500.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here lets see some damages due to rains...

And iam surprised that even the Rain Gods don't seem to like my taste for desert palms ? :hmm::angry: As you can see the near by bogainvilla has snaped its trunk and has fallen on the washy Filifera.. :blink:

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif