IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fallen soldier

Walter John

See the November weather thread for the story, here's some pics.

post-51-1227479406_thumb.jpgpost-51-1227479558_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227479594_thumb.jpgpost-51-1227479699_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227481683_thumb.jpgpost-51-1227481712_thumb.jpg

Here's the elkhorn I have to save/remove, been growing there for many years.

post-51-1227482365_thumb.jpgpost-51-1227482399_thumb.jpg

Here's the Licuala ramsayi that was receiving afternoon shade in summer. Has to fend for itself now.

post-51-1227482425_thumb.jpg

Unbelievably, this is the same tree on the 7th November, just over 2 weeks ago, new leaves coming on, looking so dandy and straight. I'll miss this tree very much.

post-51-1227482109_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Poor tree... I didn't realise they can't stand to strong wind.... It doesn't look like it is in an exposed location.... I hope it doesn't damage your roof too much.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gary had the same thing happen to his last year. He was able to trim it up, muscle it back in place, brace it and it actually rooted back in last growing season. But his was not as big as yours Wal. Bummer.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Big bummer!! Probably had a girdling root. Looks like not much of a flare at the base.

I think that this species has quality wood. Might be of interest to a local woodworker/turner.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Sorry Wal. Hurts to lose a prized tree.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You're not going to believe this. The tree loppers turned out to be palm nuts and were very careful not to damage any palms. They checked out my jungle closely and we shared some palm tales, what a fluke, it's a small world for they knew Clayton from here on the palm board.

The Leopard hunts in darkness, farewell old friend, where will the kookaburras rest now ?

post-51-1227517221_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227517298_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227517332_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227517377_thumb.jpg

post-51-1227517413_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry to see this Wal; what will you replace it with?

Well you see this tree was planted along time ago, way way before any palms. I have planted palms and other plants right up to this tree so there won't be a replacement. Now I have some space for absorbing the area and the sun and rain will start to change the look of the area very quickly I'd say.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Any palms going to have to adjust to all the sun the Leopard tree used to create?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Any palms going to have to adjust to all the sun the Leopard tree used to create?

You bet Joe. Good for some, not so for others, fortunately the bangalow palms nearby have grown up to shade out a good portion of the harsh summer arftenoon sun.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You bet Joe. Good for some, not so for others, fortunately the bangalow palms nearby have grown up to shade out a good portion of the harsh summer arftenoon sun.

Archos and a royal now grown up to protect the innocent.

post-51-1227564697_thumb.jpg

This Neoveitchia will likely benefit with more direct sun and direct rains.

post-51-1227564731_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

sorry to hear about yer loss,wal.

just like most other big changes in life it comes with a little good & a little bad.

hey lookit me--i'm a "philosopher!" :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.