IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Cal Weather Alert

osideterry

The party's over. Bye-bye moisture, hello wind. It looks to hit in the 40s for the first time since last winter this weekend.

I'm bringing the Adonidia inside tonight.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Issued by The National Weather Service

San Diego, CA

1:36 pm PDT, Fri., Oct. 10, 2008

... CHANGES COMING TO THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER PATTERN OVER THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND...

A DEVELOPING WEATHER SYSTEM OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES WILL INTENSIFY AND PUSH SOUTHWARD OVER THE WEEKEND. THIS WILL BRING A VARIETY OF WEATHER TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.

IN ADVANCE OF A STRONG COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM... WINDS WILL INCREASE OUT OF THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST TODAY AND TONIGHT. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE IN THE MOUNTAIN AND DESERT AREAS THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. A WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT FOR THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS. WINDS IN THESE AREAS WILL BE SUSTAINED 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 50 MPH IN SOME LOCATIONS. A RED FLAG WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR THE HIGH DESERT AREAS INTIL 8 PM THIS EVENING. THE WINDS WILL DIMINISH AFTER THE FRONT PASSES SATURDAY MORNING.

AS THE STORM SYSTEM MOVES EAST ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY... COLD AIR WILL SPILL INTO THE GREAT BASIN AREA OF NEVADA AND BEGIN TO MOVE INTO SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA. SATURDAY WILL BE THE COOLEST DAY SINCE LAST WINTER. THE COLD AIR WILL ALSO SET THE STAGE FOR THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT OFFSHORE WIND... .OR SANTA ANA... EVENT OF THE SEASON. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. THE WINDS WILL CONTINUE... BUT WEAKEN MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. HUMDITIES WILL ALSO BE DROPPING RAPIDLY BEGINNING SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND WILL STAY LOW UNTIL WEDNESDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL BE ABOVE NORMAL IN THE 80S WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS... BUT NOT THE LOW HUMIDITIES... COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS AND VERY DRY VEGETATION... WILL PRODUCE HAZARDOUS FIRE CONDITIONS. IT IS EXPECTED A FIRE WEATHER WATCH AND A RED FLAG WARNING WILL BE ISSUED FOR LATE SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

WITH THE SANTA ANA EVENT WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE 20 TO 40 MPH RANGE... AND GUSTS IN FAVORED PASSES AND CANYONS MAY TOP 60 MPH.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW YOU FIRE SAFETY PLANS... AND TAKE EXTRA CARE TO PREVENT THE START OF WILDFIRES. SMOKING MATERIALS SHOULD BE HANDLED WITH CAUTION.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

40's? I haven't heard anything below some high 50's.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

John Coleman hasn't said anything yet?

post-662-1223681879_thumb.jpg

post-662-1223681889_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. On the KUSI 9 site I see 46F for inland on Sunday night, but can't "play the video". I'll have to watch close, Sucks either way.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We should see no lower than 50 here.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

For my little slice of heaven, I've learned to expect the inland low predictions. :( That way I'm relieved when it didn't get quite as cold.

Thats cool Burt! (literally)

It's way too early to start this depressing thread. On a side note I don't think I got below 50 to much cloud cover.

San Marcos CA

I'm with Shon. If we don't talk about it, doesn't that mean it won't happen?

Sorry - my intent wasn't to be a downer. Santa Anas, even without low temps, can suck all the water out of the landscape. A few years ago I was caught off guard and had to play catch-up with my palms looking sad.

My low was 55F this morning. So much for weatherunderground's forecast.

It's a chilly 42F this morning in Walnut Creek, (N. Calif) but I guess that's about normal for this time of the year. The cold front that passed through here was windy and dry. Yesterday was the coolest day since last winter only reaching about 72F. It's supposed to warm into the upper 70's the next few days. This was a warning to start moving tender stuff under shelter. This time last year the first part of October was much cooler with some rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

YUCK!

As of a few moments ago, it was 43F in the lower "cold zone", 46F at the warm front yard?

Oh yes, I just heard Oceanside set a new record low for this date. 42F now instead of the old 44F :(

I'm glad I brought the Manilla Palm inside. 43F in my level yard. One more day with lows in the 40s, then it's back to normal.

59 at 5:00 a.m.

So far, so good.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

53 and 54 in the zones this morning. MUCH better!

I forgot to clear my thermometer, and only know that it didn't get colder than yesterday. It is 49.8F right now.

Didn't have it too bad hear in HB...48 was the low for Sat night. The low for last night was 61. Moved all the potted palms to protected area of the yard in preparation of the Santa Anas...Glad I did! Also sprayed down all my in ground palms with the Stress 2000 yesterday morning. Should help prevent any drying out from the wind. So far, so good. Lots of crap in the pool to clean out.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I was working at a jobsite in Santee today. The wind really kicked up this afternoon. School kids were shielding their eyes while trying to walk down the street. We drove back to the office in Lemon Grove and it's not even breezy! Wierd.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)