IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One of my favorites

TikiRick

As I have written before, when I bought my home in 2000, I planted out three Neoveitchias in a triangular shape, with varied heights. One by one, they declined with the emerging frond not being able to support it's own weight. All three were not happy, and eventually I removed them all. As a goof, I planted one on the opposite side of the yard as a leftover. It, fortunately, has done quite well. Here are some pictures of the palm this week, planted in 2000 as a 4" seedling (about 6" overall).

I would say that it is now approaching about 20' and is definately one of my favorite of all palms.

post-918-1218924994_thumb.jpg

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

post-918-1218925053_thumb.jpg

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

post-918-1218925097_thumb.jpg

Here, you can see how it gets its nickname.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

post-918-1218925156_thumb.jpg

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

post-918-1218925205_thumb.jpg

Great pinnate fronds that 'twist' and are held almost in a vertical plane.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

post-918-1218925309_thumb.jpg

I love this palm!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Very nice Rick. The new camera is excellent. That pic in post #4 is sweet!

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Do you grow yours from seed? A friend has a tree which is flowering at the moment. With a bit of luck, she might get seeds this year :) . How easy are they to germinate and to grow?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

One of my favorites! Looking great. I didn't realize they'd grow that fast. I planted 10 seeds quite a few months ago and have had three germinate so far. One was relatively recently so I haven't given up on the others.

South Florida

Beautiful palm Rick! And it's one of my favorites too. I tried to get some seeds to germinate but no luck. I ordered 100 from RPS about 8 months ago and not one seed has germinated :rage: I'm about ready to toss them...

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I have had sporadic luck on the few occasions I attempted to germinate them. 8 months sounds a bit long, but you never know. But chances are probably getting slimmer by the hour... :( I sowed one batch of Neoveitchia seeds in May 2006. Not sure exactly when they germinated, but in March 2007 I put them into 2G pots, so they were presumably nice size plants at that time. Germination probably around Sep/Oct 2006.

And I agree - Neoveitchia storckii is a great palm and definitely one of my favorites. Here are a few shots taken minutes ago :)

post-22-1218939703_thumb.jpg

post-22-1218939737_thumb.jpg

post-22-1218939753_thumb.jpg

post-22-1218939769_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Beautiful palm Rick! And it's one of my favorites too. I tried to get some seeds to germinate but no luck. I ordered 100 from RPS about 8 months ago and not one seed has germinated :rage: I'm about ready to toss them...

Jeff,

I also tried to germinate 100 seeds several months ago that I bought from RPS, and got one stinking palm to germ. :rage: But, I guess that was our fault........anyways,

Rick,

I'm glad to hear you finally got one to do well for you. Sometimes by planting a palm in a different part of the yard is all it takes. Yours looks really great.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I don't really try to germinate from seed....I have relatively little sunlight to do that anymore. I try to buy at least a 4" or gallon container for any palm that I purchase. You may pay a bit more, but I think it is a better investment than purchasing 100 seeds and none germinate. My Neoveitchia has not seeded to date.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Jeff,

I also tried to germinate 100 seeds several months ago that I bought from RPS, and got one stinking palm to germ. :rage: But, I guess that was our fault........anyways,

Jeff

I´m glad this has come up, because I also bought 100 from RPS around the same time and they ALL went bad. They weren´t cheap either.

Rick,

The Neoveitchia's are one of my favorites also especially after seeing Bo's in pics that he has posted in the past. the black on the crownshaft in post four is awesome. The pic in post six with the walkway reminds me of of a resort, very nice, great looking yard. Do have any full yard shots with the Neoveitchia in view? Thanks for posting pics of this beautiful palm.

Bo,

When I saw your Neoveitchias you had posted in earlier threads I really started to appreciate the beauty of this palm. Only wish I could grow them here.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I don't really try to germinate from seed....I have relatively little sunlight to do that anymore. I try to buy at least a 4" or gallon container for any palm that I purchase. You may pay a bit more, but I think it is a better investment than purchasing 100 seeds and none germinate. My Neoveitchia has not seeded to date.

Rick, Unfortunately outside of the US they are not always available in 4" and many times are not available at all. For some palms the only way for me to obtain them is to order seeds. Unfortunately Jeff, John and myself all had failures with this beautiful palm that I was hoping to grow here. I won't be trying them again, they were too expensive!

Jeff and John, have you checked your seeds lately?

After discussing this earlier I decided I would pitch the Neoveitchia seeds today and what did I find when I opened the container? 5 of them were sprouting! Maybe that's all I will get or mayber this is just the beginning, who knows. But at least some of them are germinating! I went back and looked at my order and I ordered the seeds in January and I received them sometime at the end of Feb so it's been about 6 months since I received them.

Hope yours are germinating too!

Hi Rick

Those palms are beautiful very healthy looking did you mentioned they had a spear problem? Any how are they cold hardy at all. I like

to try one in south pinellas why not and see and great job on your pictures

Regards :lol:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

I have had one in the ground for 3 years in Orlando and I give it no prtection in winter. It is slow but alive.

Tom

Hi Rick

I like to try one in south pinellas why not and see and great job on your pictures

Regards :lol:

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Jeff and John, have you checked your seeds lately?

After discussing this earlier I decided I would pitch the Neoveitchia seeds today and what did I find when I opened the container? 5 of them were sprouting! Maybe that's all I will get or mayber this is just the beginning, who knows. But at least some of them are germinating! I went back and looked at my order and I ordered the seeds in January and I received them sometime at the end of Feb so it's been about 6 months since I received them.

Hope yours are germinating too!

Jeff,

I just received my order of 10 seeds. They arrived with fruit still on and, geesh, they are hard to clean! How did you clean yours?

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines