IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Cal topic, Hedyscepe

Gtlevine

For all of us in So Cal, here is a palm that is as beautiful as any to grow in So Cal, Hedyscepe Canterburyana. The following photos are my palms growing in inland So Cal (Escondido). After six or seven years they are all trunking now.

DSC_2146.jpg

DSC_2143.jpg

DSC_2142.jpg

DSC_2141.jpg

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Certainly a beautiful palm, hardier than many think,thanks for the pictures

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Its not PC, but I like Gary's "fatties"!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary, Those Hedy's are awesome! They have grown a lot since I saw them last. I still don't know how you pull it off in that much inland sun :hmm: . Hedyscepe will ALWAYS be in my top 10 favorite palms. I have one growing like a rocket, one growing like a snail and many seedlings from Pogo Bob's stunner.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

One of my favorites for sure...Got four of them in the ground with two from PogoBob's tree.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Whoa!

Gary!

Those are gorgeous!

You have given me something to look forward to!

I have two in the ground, soon (in part because of Gary's pictures) to be joined by more!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gary

Those are some beautiful and robust Hedyscepe's you have there. Mine is going in the ground this week and I'll be happy if mine turns out even half as good as yours.

You said after 6 or 7 years they are starting to develop a trunk, what size were they when you planted them? How much sun do yours get?

Thanks again for the awesom pics

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Gary,

Those are real beauties. I have planted three in our garden, and intend to plant a few more, and can only hope they're going to look like yours a few years from now...! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Very healthy and really beautiful specimens. Southern Spain shares a very similar weather environment, so thanks for pointing out Hedyscepe Canterburyana as a "must have" for SoCal palm growers.

Don, I planted them as 15 gallon palms that were about three feet overall height to the top of leaves and the base was about 2 inches. Three of them are in dappled sunlight that comes and goes throughout the day, the other one gets 3/4 day sun and is doing equally as well but the leaves are a little shorter. Hedyscepe need sun so don't plant them in full shade, I have seen many struggle if not given enough light.

Bo, your garden is amazing and Hedyscepe should look perfect there. Hilo is the ultimate climate on this planet for palms, there is probably nothing that can't grow in your garden. That is why Dypsis grow so well for you, the montane forests in Madagascar are practically identical wetherwise to Hilo, the only other place I have been with perfect weather.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

What beauties Gary!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Beautiful specimens. I always thought that they were really slow growing but 6-7 years isn't as slow as I thought.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

That Oak tree is beautiful too Gary!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

You're getting off topic! :lol:

And Gary,

yes, we're fortunate to have what must be close to the perfect palm growing environment for at least 99% of all palms! And you're right - I have yet to find a Dypsis that won't thrive here! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Canopy is now off topic Bo? I'll have to check with you from now on. :P

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Oak trees are off topic! :lol:

That's right I forgot. But Ohia trees aren't. :interesting:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow, nice specimens !

We have a young one planted out, it made it through 2 Florida summers fine. Nearby is a thriving Rhopalostylis baueri so maybe I found a good location for it. The soil is moist, well drained with lots of humus and it gets bright filtered light all day and good air circulation. Maybe this is the only one in FL ?

img_1446.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Gary,

These are magnificent looking specimens, with shorter petioles than you would expect even growing in shade/dappled sunlight,

They are holding a good number of leaves. These must be near perfect conditions.

What is the annual rainfall and do you supplement them with extra water ? Whats your soil type ?

Do you use any special fertiliser, because the growth rate you have acheived is very very good.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

What is the growth rate for these palms? How many fronds should you expect in a year? My little 5 gal has thrown two fronds in the past 6 months.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Beautifull pictures..

I love the combination of palms and big rocks, congratulations!

Christian

Gary,

These are magnificent looking specimens, with shorter petioles than you would expect even growing in shade/dappled sunlight,

They are holding a good number of leaves. These must be near perfect conditions.

What is the annual rainfall and do you supplement them with extra water ? Whats your soil type ?

Do you use any special fertiliser, because the growth rate you have acheived is very very good.

The annual rainfall is only 9 inches and you usually do not see a drop from May until December, so I do water twice a week during the dry season. My soil is pure decomposed granite but under the Oak Tree the top two feet of soil has become pretty rich through the years. I also fertilise twice a year with Apex Palms Plus slow release.

Gary

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary in the article you wrote for the PSSC journal you mentioned you cut away some branches to give them more sun. How many hours are they getting direct sun? Mine in my front yard gets a little more than half day of direct sun. I didn't plant it this way, the canopy I had died from the freeze. I found this palm can take alot more sun than I originally thought. It almost has become stockier and fatter from the sun with no burn. One of my top five palms now after surviving the freeze and taking inland sun with no adverse effects.

San Marcos CA

Gary,

The annual rainfall is only 9 inches and you usually do not see a drop from May until December, so I do water twice a week during the dry season. My soil is pure decomposed granite but under the Oak Tree the top two feet of soil has become pretty rich through the years. I also fertilise twice a year with Apex Palms Plus slow release.

Gary

I have also come to believe that Gary, thru happenstance or design or both has some of the best soil conditions for an exposed area in So Cal. Almost ANYWHERE you walk on his property is like walking on a big pillow......

I'm a firm believer he can grow more stuff there than HE thinks he can!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine have a bit more growing to go to be anywhere near trunking. Great pictures. Thanks

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

I was wondering about your soil Gary. From what I remember it's just DG, but you don't mulch? I don't see any mulch anywhere. How did the soil get so rich with no organic matter? How is it like a pillow if it's DG? Inquiring minds want to know.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Those are super nice canterburyanas Gary!

Looking really good. Nice job on them.

I guess these guys do handle more sun than most would think......

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I'm just speculating but I bet the trick is to keep them out of the midday sun, which that oak tree is doing. Plus keeping them from drying out too, I'm sure.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I was wondering about your soil Gary. From what I remember it's just DG, but you don't mulch? I don't see any mulch anywhere. How did the soil get so rich with no organic matter? How is it like a pillow if it's DG? Inquiring minds want to know.

Matt- The only thing I know for sure is that most of his hill was Avocado grove at one time.

BS

Gary,

Very nice specimens! I have 7 small babies that a chugging away. Some are relatively fast and others seem to be taking their time. Can't wait till they get that size. Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Gary,

Very nice specimens! I have 7 small babies that a chugging away. Some are relatively fast and others seem to be taking their time. Can't wait till they get that size. Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Mike- I agree with Dean on these regarding an observation he made (I think the same applies to D.prestoniana too) you will get "rockets" and duds, some just grow fine and fast wherever they are. Others that maybe planted nearby just languish along.

BS

BTW The one I brought home from the SoCal banquet is doing well in the shade and a bigger pot. I will get a pic and cross my fingers that it makes it through the summer.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

BTW The one I brought home from the SoCal banquet is doing well in the shade and a bigger pot. I will get a pic and cross my fingers that it makes it through the summer.

YAY! :yay: