IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MERRILL'S NANNY

NCpalmqueen

Merrill---I hope you don't mind me posting a few photos of your outstanding palms.  I'm still on a palm high, even though the temps back here in NC are only in the 50's!.   We're stuck in a wedgie.   :D  Thank you for letting me onto your property!  

I've only ever seen two mature nannorhops and this is one of them.  And what a sight!  It was in bloom.  Dumbo me did not know that the stalk will die after it blooms.   A 20 year earlier stalk was also remaining on the palm.   So, does it take 20 years to bloom?

276351245_pNUe5-L.jpg

The stalk looks like a wacky antennae.   :P

276351121_NFtDH-L.jpg

Oh, and just a little jubutiagrus........

(palms were getting sweaty looking at this one)

276351474_ZsL4c-L.jpg

• Upvote 1

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

How about a line of Jub x Butia x butia x butia?  

276351356_Di3K2-XL.jpg

And I can't remember which cross this one was...

276351835_WWm7J-M-0.jpg

• Upvote 2

C from NC

Siler City, NC

WOW!

I am wiping the drool off my keyboard...  :P

Thanks for the pictures and you have some incredible palms merrill!

My favorite is the row of JubxButias they look amazing!

• Upvote 1

If I could only live so long as to see my palms and gardens mature like that.  And in Zone 8 no less.  

Here's to Merrill.  Keeping the dream alive.

You are "da man"

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Beautiful place, glad you posted the photos.

Gary

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Hi, Cindy:

The leaning pinnate palm you are standing under in the fifth photo is [Jubaea x Butia] x Butia.  The

Nannorrhops has bloomed about three times in about 6 years.

Hi, Luke, Keith, and Michael:

Thank you for your compliments to the palm trees.  It has taken many years to bring them this far!

Best Wishes, merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

Is that you in the second pic in no. 2 post . . . . ?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Glorious row of hybrids !!

Any more photos of this garden, please, Cindy...Merrill...?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Merrill has a phenomenal garden.  I've not visited there since since 2001.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi, Tank:

Did you just volunteer to post some more photos for me?  If so, I accept with alacrity and  considerable gratitude.  Some of the attendees are going to post some more, they say; afterwards, I accept, with many thanks.

Ray, Gileno, and Gary: Glad you enjoyed the photos.  Looking forward to photos from all three of you fellows.  

Hi Gary: It appears someone on another thread posted a Sabal maritima belonging to you.  We'd be very grateful if you told us the age of your S. maritima.

ALL PLEASE NOTE!

My apologies for the condition of the plants on the groundcloth on the back forty.  The unusual rains heretofore had watered an area that was short on water because of mis-spaced sprinklers. Please note this, Kyle; I'm working on corrections now.

Best Wishes, merrill

• Upvote 1

I can post more pictures after I get home later this evening.  

Merrill. What has been your low temp during the lifespan

of the jubutiagrus?  How old do you recommend one be

before planting out?

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Hi, Cindy:

The Jubutyagrus has been subjected to 10F.  If any uncertainty, I'd try to hold off until 5' tall, if possible

Best Wishes, merrill

'

• Upvote 1

Wow, those jubaea/butia hybrids are some of the most beautiful and stately of all palms!  Awesome place merill, looks like a lifetime of labor and love there, and I know its only a sliver of the place.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks, Tom:  

Many thanks for your kind words!

NCpalmqueen has captured a quite good selection of my palms, but either she or I [or perhaps others]will post a few more.  It is interesting that you folks have expressed such approval of ([JXB]XB)XB, as it is only one-eighth Jubaea.  Of course, the Jubaea inheritance is carried on the mothers side in each generation, which accentuates it greatly through cytoplasmic heritance.  This effect is much stronger in Jubaea than in any other palm hybrids I've observed.

merrill

• Upvote 1

Merrill, your place looks wonderful!!!  I hope more pics will be posted...  Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I am derelect in my duties, Merrill.    :P    I haven't had the time yet to grab those remaining photos, upload, and post.  Will do, hopefully, tonight.   Working two jobs takes up all my time.    :(

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Beautifull Merrill. I'm a cold zoner and have a seedling Jubutyagrus and a Jubutia. I can't wait untill they grow up. I would love to see yours in person someday.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thanks for posting the photos Cindy! It was great meeting you and everyone else this weekend. Thank you Merrill  for hosting such a great garden tour!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Fantastic hybrids, thanks for sharing this picture's from the yarf from merill.. :)

Robbin

Southwest

Merrill will need to 'plain what is in these photos.  :D

277927367_xwgL7-L.jpg

277927447_Ba9hn-L.jpg

277927488_R7pLZ-L.jpg

• Upvote 1

C from NC

Siler City, NC

277927525_tdqFk-L.jpg

some lanky palms

277927594_ArFNj-L.jpg

277927700_bmBoF-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

277927791_ycxG5-L.jpg

a real jungle......

277927663_2bKJJ-L.jpg

Merrill has just a small collection of potted stuff.  LOL

277927398_Grpn6-L.jpg

Waving back to Kyle!  Nice to meet you too.

C from NC

Siler City, NC

277927545_zBbBo-L.jpg

last photo....

277927628_584D2-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Very cool, very cool.......wonderful palms, Merrill

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Here are the palms posted by Cindy, to whom I'm very grateful, in post 26 above:

Photo 1:

Phoenix hybrid from "Peanut Lambert" from near Wauchula, who is a famous collector of volunteer XButyagrus.  His Phoenix hybrid might have been  P. sylvestris [mother] X P. reclinata [father].

Photo 2:

Cycas revoluta X Cycas taitungensis in front;

[Phoenix sylvestris X Phoenix canariensis] X Phoenix sylvestris in second row.

X Jubutyagrus everettii [Large palm in back]

Photo 3:

Left:  Sabal bermudana;  right Livistona decora [formerly L. decipiens]

Note on L. decora: There has been more freeze damage to decora than to L. mariae

merrill.

• Upvote 1

Here are the palms posted by Cindy, to whom I'm very grateful, in post 27 above:

Photo 1:

Cycas revoluta X Cycas taitungensis in front;

[Phoenix sylvestris X Phoenix canariensis] X Phoenix sylvestris in second row.

X Jubutyagrus everettii [Large palm in back]  

Photo 2:

Paurotis [acoelorrhaphe wrightii]; a very attractive palm underutilized in the Southeasteastern U. S..

Photo 3:

Sabal mexicana; seed from tree in front of the old Administration Building, U. S. D. A. Exp. Sta. at Mayaguez, West Coast of Puerto Rico.  Both the mother and this tree seem surprisingly tall, but it is pretty clear that it isn't S. bermudana, S. palmetto, S. causiarum, or S. domingensis from vegetative characters.  The seed were reasonable for S. mexicana.

merrill

• Upvote 1

thanks Cindy and Merrill!  Incredible collection!  Post 27 is probably my favorite here, I love the hybrids and the lanky accelloraphe!   :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Here are the palms posted by Cindy, to whom I'm very grateful, in post 28 above:

1] Sabal uresana.  Some posters familiar with S. uresana said this was too large to be S. uresana.  Its light blue color which it is loosing fairly rapidly now doesn't exist on any other Sabal.

2] These are volunteer windmill palms in a very dense aggregation.

3]  The group is inspecting some palms where the automatic watering failed while I was preparing for the meeting.

Hi, Rusty and Glenn:

Thanks for your comments.  The Acoelorraphe has looked MUCH better; has been watered inadequately recently.

Best Wishes,

merrill

• Upvote 1

Here are the palms posted by Cindy, to whom I'm very grateful, in post 29 above:

Photo 1]

I failed to introduce myself to the gentleman on the far left w/ the water botle in his right hand.  Can anyone identify him to me in private?  He's the only one I didn't recognize!

Photo 2]

This is the latest in a series of Livistona chinensis; its predecessors were killed in our occasional freezes.

I thank all members for coming to this meeting.  I thoroly enjoyed it!

Best Wishes, merrill

• Upvote 1