IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea angustisecta

LJG

Here are two of my Chamaedorea angustisecta's I have planted. The one on the right has made it now through two winters. These plants never want to hold more then three leaves and they like to brown tip from low humidity and the TDS levels being too high from the city. However they are growing slowly (two leaves a year) and to my excitement the one of the left flowered as shown below and it is a female! Fingers crossed my other one is a male. Almost three years ago Bill Sanford gave me the female for my 40th birthday. Thanks Bill! These plants were all originally sourced from Jeff Searle after his trip to Peru.

post-649-0-23115100-1370220744_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-58600400-1370220786_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-41260000-1370220819_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

excellent mottling. Paul's clump of 5 is getting big too. We need to send seeds to OZ

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Does Paul's brown tip?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Not from what I remember. Jim Wright had some problems with his initially; spider mites or something like that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yeah, spider mites love these too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

No, mine don't brown tip much.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

No, mine don't brown tip much.

Have you ever tested your TDS from your water? Curious. Also, take a pic man! I want to see this group.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Not sure what TDS is,but I am sure I have never had my water tested for anything. I will post a pic on FB tomorrow for u,dewd.

still "warning-free."

I'm glad to see your having relatively good luck with keeping these alive and looking pretty good. For the life of me, I just had awful luck with mine and never could keep mine alive.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

they seem to be a pretty trouble-free grow here in socal,jeff.

still "warning-free."

That's impressive, Len. Not sure if I still have one from Jeff's batch growing in Peru. It's at my girlfriend's place.

Speaking of Peru, I'm heading off to the Rio Tambopata in September, and organising a private guide to take us to look for palms. The Mauritia swamps will be easy enough to find, although this region is host to mainly Bactris and Geonoma. It's going to be so much fun. B)

<<< Not sure what TDS is,but I am sure I have never had my water tested for anything. >>>

TDS = total dissolved solids.

That's impressive, Len. Not sure if I still have one from Jeff's batch growing in Peru. It's at my girlfriend's place.

Speaking of Peru, I'm heading off to the Rio Tambopata in September, and organising a private guide to take us to look for palms. The Mauritia swamps will be easy enough to find, although this region is host to mainly Bactris and Geonoma. It's going to be so much fun. B)

Hmm. Wasn't that where Jeff Marcus got the Chocolate Geonoma?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I've got three, planted in my Rhopie Grove.

Pics later on.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry Dave, off-topic for a second..

Is that the one he referred to as Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya? Looking into it, there's a Geonoma tamandua which is a synonym of Geonoma macrostachys, in which case Len, it does grow around the Rio Madre del Dios, the source of the Rio Tambopata.

Sorry Dave, off-topic for a second..

Is that the one he referred to as Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya? Looking into it, there's a Geonoma tamandua which is a synonym of Geonoma macrostachys, in which case Len, it does grow around the Rio Madre del Dios, the source of the Rio Tambopata.

I don't remember the species name and I am not where I can check it. I remember seeing it the Marcus garden and it was one of the most impressive palms he had - and that says a lot. I think Dean took photos of it on his last visit to Jeff's.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

post-641-0-84702900-1370363940_thumb.jpgpost-641-0-99906300-1370363876_thumb.jpg

wonder if thats what this is, got it from Jeff also but lost tag. anybody tell me why my iphone pics are sideways.

• Upvote 1

JC

attachicon.gifcham1.JPGattachicon.gifcham2.JPG

wonder if thats what this is, got it from Jeff also but lost tag. anybody tell me why my iphone pics are sideways.

Those marbled petioles look like they might be.

If so, your plant rocks.

Don't know about the Iphone . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

cham1.JPG cham2.JPG

That's it.

As far as iPhone I had same issue. Most forums will autocorrect it but this one does not. I now take photos sideways with iPhone if I will post here.

Mod Edit: Sorry don't know how Windows handles iPhones. But on my Mac I import my pics and post and have never had a problem.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Here are my three babies.

So far, minimal brown-tipping.

They're definitely on the fragile side, though. Forget to water them and watch out.

post-208-0-64835500-1370402926_thumb.jpg post-208-0-88890900-1370402967_thumb.jpg post-208-0-10499900-1370402987_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is an update on these awesome palms. Unfortunately they like where they are at and are growing too quickly. In a year or two more they will be fully exposed and hopefully can handle some sun and wind. I got lucky and ended up with one male and one female.

Second pic is of female and third of male. How are everyone else's doing?

post-649-0-40522300-1424710397_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-41520400-1424710417_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-53347300-1424710460_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, that's some serious mottling!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Len, pretty impressive! I'm glad to hear their doing so well. The croton looks pretty good as well. :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len, pretty impressive! I'm glad to hear their doing so well. The croton looks pretty good as well. :)

Jeff, one was from you. The other round about from you as Bill Sanford gave it to me for my 40th birthday. That croton on the left is from you too. That is Wootons Beauty. Damn thing is so slow. Not enough light for it me thinks.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

excellent mottling. Paul's clump of 5 is getting big too. We need to send seeds to OZ

Great looking palm!! If you are still keen to get some seed into Oz I am very happy to sprout and distribute here!!

I'm glad to see your having relatively good luck with keeping these alive and looking pretty good. For the life of me, I just had awful luck with mine and never could keep mine alive.

That is my experience with arenbergiana--they just seem to melt in our humid heat...

Pretty palms, Len. glad they are doing well for you and glad you are able to share them with the palm world--seeing this species is a first for me... so is mottling on a CHamaedorea(besides the leaves of my tater chip palms).

Awesome Chamaedorea angustisecta pic's Len!!!, I've been looking for one for quite some time. Hopefully some seed will be available soon?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Beautiful Len... glad yours are doing so well. I think I took one to a auction and then the others went in the great Vole chow down of 2014 :rant:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!