IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. peachy

Trachycarpus Fortunei[?] W/ Huge Skirt

I prefer them without all the dead stuff hanging there. It makes a perfect home for snakes, rats, creepy bugs and heaven knows what else. Also could be a fire hazard. Give it a Bris. Peachy
  3. Yes dearie, as they say, Peachy is full of it
  4. iam sure there will be plenty of fertiliser in soil as they say 🌱
  5. They are a pretty little palm, that's probably why you sold me 2 of them. (one outside, one inside) But now that I know where babies come from, how do you tell the boys from the girls ? Which leaf do I lift up to take a peek ? Peachy
  6. happypalms

My house plant needs help

It looks like you’re palm is lacking humidity by the large glass window with radiant heat it is difficult to tell I can’t see the soil that well that you mention that could be a fungus or mycelium
  7. Oh well they can plant it on my grave in that case Peachy (the old coffin dodger)
  8. happypalms

Interesting Seedling Growth

I guess the strongest of the strongest shall survive could be a genetic trait giving certain seedlings the advantages over the siblings ensuring the species survival or just a freak of nature i have seen it before it never worried me
  9. It is but iam pretty sure it will take quite a few years see you in a decade peachy Richard
  10. Today
  11. A good book is worth a thousand words and this book by the author William Warren is definitely a coffee table book worthy of any table with photographs by Luca invernizzi Tettoni with some good tropical plants in it and a brief view on cultivation for some wonderful must have plants in the garden to creat that tropical look and the best bit is your not looking at a computer screen so when you go to drag two fingers on the image for a closer view you know you have had definitely to much screen time 😂
  12. That is a pretty one. I love it. Please get it preggo as soon as you can. Peachy
  13. peachy

Seedlings turning super light green (almost gray)?

It looks like bleaching from too much light. As happypalms said they could be getting a bit of sun or too much UV Peachy
  14. A light frost will singe them badly but they come back okay. I don't think they would take a heavy frost. Peachy
  15. My little Sommieria is growing stronger with each new leaf it will be preciously protected for winter with every trick in the book to see it lives through winter
  16. Lucked up on eBay with some old PACSOA issues always a treat to read now all we have to do is convince the PACSOA to start printing them for there members increasing the society’s popularity spreading more vital information for the palms of the world bringing awareness to more plant enthusiast
  17. One special little chamaedorea the adscedans in my garden producing good amounts of seeds for me easy to grow and propagate bottom heating coco coir perlite mix 30 degrees Celsius around 3 months time some wonderful little palms when juvenile they are something else to look at on mass and quite different to adult palms also a easy one to hand pollinate just simply observe your male plants daily looking for pollen usually by just tapping the flower to see if any pollen comes out then you collect the pollen in bag and place it over the female tapping the bag to get the pollen dusting around but do it daily until you use all your pollen or ideally using a artist brush and lightly brushing the pollen on the female flowers I have a lot mature adscedans so a good supply of male pollen the flowering season last about 5 weeks with around 50 mature plants some plants don’t flower every year or if a lot of seed was harvested the prior season so sort of biannual I usually harvest them when the new flowers appear but a wonderful palm that is easy to grow and observe watching the life cycle of reproduction in Mother Nature in close proximity
  18. happypalms

Seedlings turning super light green (almost gray)?

Your mix looks quite free draining I take it your containers have drain holes keep them outside under a awning to let them dry out there is light sunburn then there is burning to a crisp let them dry out if you suspect overwatering
  19. My posoquiera shall be planted next to my driveway that way I shall get the most of the fragrance and the plant in question is a Labisia Jambi orange black there are a few different forms but definitely worth having in any collection
  20. There a winner of a palm in my eyes and tough they go a bit yellow in bright light and lack of water and they do make a wonderful container palm there cold tolerant to about 0 degrees Celsius but I don’t think frost would be there friend
  21. thyerr01

Bottlebrushes

C. montanus. I didn't have much hope that these would actually turn out to be the real thing, but the flowers are a good match.
  22. You want the soil continuously damp down below(deeper than) the rootball by about 2-3 feet. It will take 2-3 years for the roots to grow back and the palm will become established. The top, new leaves will be somewhat slow(possibly shabby looking) this summer, and then pick up as the roots (re)establish. I would hold off on fertilizer til next spring. Nice specimen palm!
  23. Cade

Polar Vortex 2024

additional sabals on a separate planting project ( west nasa parkway ) at least 100 will be planted I assume. cidp looking better alrupdate on the medical center planting still tied up .
  24. I’ve had this foxtail since last summer and has since rooted very well in the container and is now beginning to grow rapidly! Just opened a new frond and already has a new spear and great stem extension! How tall can these get in containers and how fast will it get to say 4 feet of trunk or so? When should I repot this? This summer or next?
  25. Merlyn

South Florida hobby nursery

In my area they are using Mules, Sabals, Bismarck, Chamaerops (odd I know), still some new Sylvestris (stupid), Livistona Decipiens and Nitida, and occasionally they are really dumb and plant some 20ft tall Trachycarpus...which immediately die from nematodes.
  26. Scott W

Mule Palms.

Unfortunately Erik hasn't logged on here in over two years.
  1. Load more activity