All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. You are right. It sure does look like a heliconia. Good looking plant for sure!
  3. Dartolution

Pygmy Date Palm Soil and Care

I did place all of them in the shade under my patio. Ive been keeping the soil moist but not water logged and they receive very little sun. maybe an hour total. How long should I leave them in the deep shade? Do they take long to root?
  4. RJ

Virginia Palms

You saw red pine in NJ? That's pretty surprising as it's a far northern species. We have tons of them around my camp in Maine, mostly on pretty poor sandy soil derived from granite. I would of never thought they would survive that far south, we did have some in Massachusetts when I was a kid.
  5. Today
  6. Chester B

Trachy root size

Trachys are great due to their non invasive root system. You can plant them right up to structures unlike a maple oak. Do you know if this palm was out in full sun? It should probably be fine planting out even if it wasn't. I've not seen one experience sun burn before, just some yellowing. I would amend the soil somewhat and make sure it gets plenty of water this summer.
  7. Rickybobby

Trachy root size

The 90s won’t hurt the trachy. It will grow like a weed. Up here they love the hot days and cooler nights. They don’t like intense heat throughout the entire year a few months of it is fine from my experience anyway
  8. palmad Merc

Dypsis Marojejya seeding

I'm getting seed, germinating tips please Anyone successful germinating these? Do the seeds need high heat, being somewhat a high altitude plant?
  9. newtopalmsMD

Trachy root size

Thanks And one more question. It will reach the high 90's in each of the next three days. Is that too hot to plant this trachy (maybe foot of trunk and 4 feet of fronds. It will be in the sun from 9am - 2:30pm once planted. It arrived last night and the root ball is sitting in the plastic bag it was shipped in. Its sitting in the shade right now Thanks
  10. cm05

Virginia Palms

Here’s a photo I took of a stand of Shortleaf Pine growing northwest of NYC a few miles north of the NJ/NY border on I-87: And here’s a photo I took of a Longleaf Pine growing at the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, DC: I really want to try a Longleaf Pine one day, they’re the best looking pine in my opinion, this picture doesn’t do it justice.
  11. TomJ

Dypsis Marojejya seeding

Rarely see pictures of a mature one. How long has that been in the ground and from what size Bill? Another picture too if you can. Thanks
  12. mdsonofthesouth

Trachy root size

The root system shouldn't be too large. Palms typically don't root out like hardwoods or conifers.
  13. redant

Show stoppers

Some great additions, stunning palms
  14. FishEyeAquaculture

Check Out This Weird Queen Palm

For as long as I’ve been eyeing it (9yrs), they’re always very stiff and upright. Even when it’s not been over-trimmed, it has that stiff look...just more fronds.
  15. palmad Merc

Pseudophoenix ekmanii, I won't give up hope

I've potted up the 3 in a mix of equal parts perlite / cactus mix and a sprinkle of dolomite. Personally I'm excited because this one's been a tricky one for me!
  16. Fusca

Interesting "shuttlecock" look with the stiff upright leaves. It has the look of an over-trimmed palm or hybrid with Attalea! Certainly is an oddball.
  17. kinzyjr

Looks like stiff fronds, similar to some of the hybrids with Jubaea - but it could just be because it is overtrimmed.
  18. newtopalmsMD

Trachy root size

I am planting a Trachycarpus Nainital in my pool area. My question is, how far from the trunk will the roots grow? I want to leave enough room from the cement decking and some of the underground pipes that make the pool work. Also I don't want to be planting annuals too close to the trachy and disturbing the trachy roots when I lift annuals for the winter. Also I have very well-draining clay (sounds odd I know). Any thoughts on what medium I should plant in? Just the native soil/clay. Native clay emended with garden soil/humus? vermiculite? builders' sand? Are there really 10 different ideas all of which work pretty much the same? Many thanks!
  19. sgvcns

Sunsets

Sunset in Kuching Sarawak Malaysia. Taken from our hotel. The call to prayer is lovely and the palms aren't bad either
  20. FishEyeAquaculture

Closer shot of crown
  21. On the north side of Dade City, FL, off US 301, is the Rainbow Fountain Motel...one of the few remaining “mom n’ pop” motels that once dominated the white shield highways. Planted out front is the strangest S. romanzoffiana I have ever seen!!! So strange, that for years I never even considered that it was a queen, but always wondered what it was. Thanks to Christian Faulkner, @cfkingfish, for setting me straight on it’s ID. Anyhow, please share your thoughts on this oddball!
  22. HtownPalms

Pseudophoenix ekmanii, I won't give up hope

Good luck. Very neat looking palm that will be quite the standout in any yard.
  23. HtownPalms

Pygmy Date Palm - am i doing it right?

I agree with what Rickybobby said. Keep it outside as much as possible during the warmer months. These palms can survive inside, but it's hard for them to thrive inside. I have played around with Majesty palms and Parlor palms leaving half inside and half outside all summer. The palms outside grow so much more than the palms left indoors. I think the Pygmy Date Palms are good to about the mid 20s so you should be able to leave it outside in Chicagoland until October I'm guessing. My Pygmy Date Palms are growing in regular Home Depot potting soil and they propably get watered way more than they should and they all look great. I give them miracle grow palm granules once every 3 months, but I think a lot of folks on here would tell you better methods for feeding your Pygmy Date Palm. Good luck with it!
  24. petiole10

Pygmy Date Palm - am i doing it right?

I'm guessing that this palm would enjoy the summer Ontario weather (and having enjoyed a great visit there once in summer during a tour that included the east coast all the down to the wonderful Carolinas and other southern states) I agree that they definitely need at least some time outside in the warmer season(s). Where I live this side of the pond, its a maritime climate, and deep cold spells in winter are rare. But my experience is they tolerate very little cold at all and even a very light frost can damage them. My own pygmy date palm heads outside as early as possible after winter has finished - varies in timing each year according to how quickly it warms up. But during the late spring and summer months it thrives under a open gazebo, with some of my other indoor plants with bright light out of the direct sun. The strong sun scorches the fronds quickly because of the time they spend indoors. It can stay out till late October and even into November if the weather stays mild and there is no prediction of early frost. Very unusual indeed to see frost, especially close to the coast where I live, before November, and sometimes later than this. Feeding is important in growing season - these palms are susceptible especially to manganese deficiency which makes the fronds go yellow, growth can slow and even stop with fronds not opening properly - and can result in die back if left untreated. But most palm and some general plant feeds have traces of manganese amongst the usual important elements and with regular feeding during growing season this shouldn't ever be a problem Watering relatively little and often seems to work well - but in winter care is needed not to keep them too wet and always let they dry out before re-watering. Even indoors, with the lower light levels, unless you use a grow lamp. They do not appreciate strong indoor heating and the very dry air, so misting with some cool rainwater helps. Plus it helps avoid bugs and mites. And use rainwater for general watering if possible rather than tapwater. . The salts in tapwater can burn the fronds if used for spraying leaves - as well as not good for the roots if allowed to build up in a pot. Changing some soil/compost at the start of the growing season helps avoid this problem if tapwater has to be used at all. Light very well drained soil is important. Anyway, just my few cents. Hope it helps
  25. I wonder how this would propagate with tissue culture. A number of other Marantaceae are in TC propagation.
  26. Mikelzz

Ptychosperma elegans seedlings x10

morning !!! I am hre in Sarasota and looking for some of these do you still have some ? the price ? I cam drive down thanks Michael
  27. I have 35 D. Leptocheilos, and around 40 D. Madagascariensis ‘mahajanga’ seedlings available. $20 for all plus US shipping.( to be determined). Sent in moist spaghum. Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com Teddys on left in photo, ‘mahajanga’ on right.
  1. Load more activity