IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmtalk neighbors & friends

paulgila

Living here on the Big Island of Hawaii there is actually quite a big group of fellow palm interested people, evidenced by the recent attendance of the HIPS (Hawaii Island Palm Society) BBQ Dinner and Palm Auction held February 1st.  However, in the more immediate area where I live, Papa Bay Estates in south Kona, these are my palm buds:  Monty C. - 2 miles from me and his main interest is growing close to 100 Pritchardia schattauerii in ground.  Tom in Waiohinu is about 20 miles to the south.  He always attends the annual pam dinner & auction and occasionally posts on Palmtalk.  Then about 45 min. drive north in Kailua-Kona is our appreciated Monitor, Dean Ouer and these other HIPS guys:  Garrett Webb (Kalaoa Palm Gardens Nursery), Don Sanderson (Holualoa) and Norm Bezona's Kona Cloud Forest Preserve in Kaloko mauka.  There are other HIPS members on the Kona side whom I've yet to meet personally.  Must make an effort to do so this new year.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hmmm, let's see

I know of only two other Palmtalkers in Louisiana.  One is over an hour away to the north east, and the other over 2 hours away to the Southeast.

One day, maybe, we shall meet.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have no close palmtalkers, I have other growers,but they dont post,or even lurk to my knowledge, Dr. Jon(150 miles) stops by, Richtrav(250miles), Austinpalm(350miles),and I hang out and do business with some seriously palmy people but they dont post either. Iam going to a palm persons house in the houston area, and its over 350 miles,

my dad lives around the corner and he lurks but wont post.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(tropicalb @ Feb. 05 2008,10:26)

Angela.....

LOL....yeah, bill is a great guy. I actually wish he'd drive by more often!

I like your idea of us all buying property in Leilani Estates....we could all move in adjacent to Bo and have the biggest botanical garden EVER!

actually, I've been keeping an eye on the Leilani Estates market for quite some time now, and would LOVE to move over there. Just gotta convince the wife we can do it!

Aww guys, I'm getting Verklempt.........

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have met palmotrafficante awhile back as he traveled through Houston. Good person I met on here.

My wife and I have also met Rick in Ft. Lauderdale and Jeff Searle on a trip to S. Fl.

But I think I've met most Palmtalk folks visiting Sad Diego and stopping by Phil's. I usually stop and introduce myself as its pretty fun to put a face with the avatar.

Well lets see, probably the one I see the most by far is Palmarum (Ryan) a great friend indeed. Also Mike H.(Waykoolplantz) is very close along with Peter B. (Madman), Paul H. (Paul H.) Rick L. (TikiRick) is not too far away as well.

Then there's guys that I see quite often from the Miami area like Ken J.( Ken Johnson), Bill O.(Bill Olson), Scott C.(Scott Cohen).

And then within 5 hours away, I can go see Bill, Paul, Kim and MattyB. :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Feb. 06 2008,05:54)

Well lets see, probably the one I see the most by far is Palmarum (Ryan) a great friend indeed. Also Mike H.(Waykoolplantz) is very close along with Peter B. (Madman), Paul H. (Paul H.) Rick L. (TikiRick) is not too far away as well.

Then there's guys that I see quite often from the Miami area like Ken J.( Ken Johnson), Bill O.(Bill Olson), Scott C.(Scott Cohen).

And then within 5 hours away, I can go see Bill, Paul, Kim and MattyB. :D

Its 8 hours for us Jeff. :D  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

When I lived in Tampa, I was about 3 minutes from Ray, Tampa's house and I got to see his amazing palm collection quite a few times.  Junglegalfl and falcon1988 are also friends and each live about a 20-25 minute drive from my old house.  In fact I met Bren (Junglegalfl) on another plant forum before she was interested in palms.  I knew she would eventually see the light!  :)  

Before I moved to Costa Rica I sold my container palm collection and got to meet quite a few other central FL PalmTalk members!  

Now I have no palm buddies close by.  I've met a few other tropical plant enthusiasts, but no one to talk palms with.  There is FossilNypa and his brother (I can't remember his online name) in San Jose which is about a 3 hour drive, but I haven't seen them on here much lately.  I think there was one other person from Costa Rica that used to post here but I haven't seen him online for a while either.  I guess I am all alone over here on the central Pacific coast.    ???  

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

The only one in Brazil relatively close to me is Gileno.  And, it actuallys takes longer to get from Manaus to Recife since you have to connect in Brasilia than it does to fly to Miami which is a daily 5 hour non stop flight.  So, that sort of makes the South Florida folks, I did get to meet Jeff and Jerry the last trip, closer than any Brazilians.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Yeah Jeff, thank god I got out of that banana phase huh?  :D Hmm, besides Jeff in Costa Rica, JungleGina is a good friend and I've met Ray in Tampa several times too. Oh & I got to meet Jason In Orlando when he toured my place and Metalfan and Kyle at the fall USF sale. Oh wait, I just remembered I met Brian coconut when he dug out all my bananas after that phase passed. I know I'm likely leaving someone out so forgive me.

I'm sure I'll meet many more of you in Costa Rica!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

ACK, I forgot to mention Mike Evans!! His garden has been a great inspiration to me and I owe a good bit of my palm collection to him! At one time, we even worked together and owe a lot of my palm fascination to him because he posted his palm sales on our company swap board.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida