IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Changing face of palmtalk

Nigel

(bgl @ Feb. 04 2008,09:46)

It's interesting to see how much feedback this thread is getting (Nigel - thanks for starting it! :) ). Discussion and exchange of ideas is always healthy.

A couple of thoughts. First, regarding a few comments that Carlo made.

"In past times, IPS members from the So.US got PALMS and a full world of meetings and friends. IPS members from abroad just got PALMS (and paid a few $$ more).

Now people from abroad just get PALMS and PALMTALK. It is here where the internationality of the international PS should be defended.

How really strong is the desire for "internationality" in the "International" PS "

Carlo - not sure exactly what you refer to when you say "full world of meetings"? If you're talking about local meetings, these are organized by local palm societies, and the IPS has absolutely nothing to do with these so we can remove these from the equation. If you're referring to the Biennials, then I think we need to look at the facts:

2000 in New Caledonia - French speaking

2002 French Riviera - French speaking

2004 Hawaii - English

2006 Dominican Rep. - Spanish speaking

And the future:

2008 Costa Rica - Spanish speaking

2010 - not decided yet, but as you know probably either in Tenerife or in Brazil - again in a Latin speaking country

2012 - Thailand

So, bottom line, out of SEVEN Biennials, only ONE in an English speaking country. And FIVE of those in Latin speaking countries....! Definitely does seem like there's a tilt here! But it most certainly does not favor the U.S. or those living there. Fact is, as you certainly know, we've had more participants from Spanish speaking countries recently than ever before.

About PalmTalk itself - as should be obvious to anyone, the Forum is a reflection of the active participants, and as I mentioned in my first post, the two largest groups of IPS members & Forum members happen to be in SoCal and Florida. It's only natural to expect Forum members from those two areas to also be the ones to provide the most feedback and posts. Complaining about it, or critizing it, is an exercise in futility. The only solution, as has been mentioned in other posts above, is to be as active as possible, and one person can make quite a difference. Bobby in NY is a perfect example (even though he hasn't been very active lately). Bobby single-handedly managed to put NY on the "palm map" by being so active. Kris, of course, has done the same for India. New York and India - talk about two complete opposites from a palm growing point of view. But this is what's great about PalmTalk - opinions, experiences and knowledge from all sorts of different environments across the spectrum. And this is what makes this Forum truly International.

Finally, I'd like to address the comment about "cliques". I have seen this issue raised before, and it has also been raised in this thread. To complain about "cliques" being formed, and feeling like an outsider really is unfair in my opinion.

First of all, when a new Forum member makes himself or herself known, that person always gets a warm welcome from many different Forum members from all over the world. I don't want to mention any names because I would be bound to forget someone, but looking back over the last several months, there have been a few new members joining the Forum and becoming VERY active from the very beginning, and just based on the feedback these new members have received, I think it should be obvious that anyone who is willing to become active here, will also receive a warm welcome, and lots of feedback.

Secondly, the Forum is like an "open party". Anyone who is interested in palms, or even plants in general, is more than welcome to join and then participate. To join and then not participate, and maybe complain about "cliques" is like someone entering a party where he/she doesn't know anyone, and then just stand on the sidelines and complain about how much of an outsider you feel like, instead of introducing yourself and joining the fun. There are a number of Forum members that I've had lots of interaction with on PalmTalk, but I've never met them. But I already feel like I know them well. And over the last couple of years I've also had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Forum members in person, and after communicating with them on the Forum you always, without exception, feel like you meet an old friend. I realize that by living in Hawaii I'm probably more fortunate than most in this respect since Hawaii will always be a popular destination, but that doesn't change the fact that wherever you happen to live, you can always establish satisfying relationships with other Forum members. And if and when you travel, assuming you visit a place where palms can grow, chances are you'll be able to meet some other Forum member.

Bottom line from my point of view: it's up to each and every one of us to participate. And the more we participate, the more enjoyment we get out of this little activity! :)

Edit - despite my longwinded post above I neglected to stress the following: Forum members who know each other personally will of course always communicate in a more personal manner. This is a GOOD thing! :)  We WANT Forum members to actively get to know others on the Forum. Jeff's and Ken's recent trip to SoCal is a perfect example of Forum members getting together and having a great time. My guess is that the personal relationships that were established during those few days will alter the communication here on the Forum between Jeff & Ken and all the SoCal Forum members they met. It may even encourage others in SoCal who are currently not Forum members to sign up and become active. Expanding the number of Forum members who know each other personally is one of the great things about this Forum - other than our expanded knowledge of palms. Being critical of the personal type of communication that results from these closer contacts is to miss the point.

You go Bo!

I'm quoting the whole thing because everyone should read it at least once :)

Thanks for your contributions Nigel...  I'm such a newbie that I haven't read any of your posts other than this one... but by the looks of everyone's response, everyone really appreciates your input!

Sorry to hear your friends have become disillusioned and have left, but it sounds like they weren't too interested in the International aspect of this forum anyway.  It seems they were only interested in interacting with others who live in the same locale as they do.

I'm not sure why you have the impression that SoCal members are not interested in discussing cold-hardy palms...  it freezes there almost every year.  Judging by all the damage reports, if they aren't interested in that topic, maybe they should be! :D

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Kim @ Feb. 04 2008,16:59)

I have often thought one of the shortcomings of this board to be the small number of master palm growers willing to assume the role of teacher to the new enthusiasts.  Disdain for newbies and their chatter could so easily be flipped around to be encouragement and education.  

Those master palm growers who do take the time to answer questions and discuss a wide variety of topics with anyone, regardless of experience, become palm legends on the board, and their words carry a lot of weight.  We need more of them, not fewer.

With many budding enthusiasts lurking but too intimidated to even ask a question, this very discussion may have just unintentionally smothered more potential participation, particularly from those in colder climates who wonder if they 'belong' here.

Kim,

You and Bo have made some very,very good points. I have some views, but I really don't want them to fly.

Kim...in my 25 years, how many times do you think I have repeated some of my information? :D  It's all about education, and I'm glad to be a small part of it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

If the subject is palms, I personally can't imagine not being interested in a post!  Everone's input should be appreciated even if it's about a variety of palm that is not one's favorite.  I appreciate everything I've learned from the people of this board over the years and we are all very fortunate to have it!

Justin Ingram

Pinole, California

Sunset Zone 17; USDA z9B

I think it's time some history is reported about the International Palm Society and how it begain. I'll get off my lazy duff and do some research so that it will be accurate. In the meanwhile, all should know that it started as a garden vearity plant society that was centered locally in South Florida. At one time there was only one chapter and that was in the Miami area mostly.

Over the years other chapters sprung up in Florida, then California, and then in other countries. We were known as The Palm Society untill 1984 when by popular demand, we became The International Palm Society. Unfortunately most of the charter members are now diseased, so it will be hard to get any first hand information, except what is written. I'll see what I can dig up, as you may find it interesting. Perhaps Dr. Natalie Uhl, one of our advisory editors of PALMS and Ed Moore from San Diego could help me. I can assure you we have come a long way since our humble beginings.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Nigel,

I am going to respond to your very first post so there won't be any confusion...  (other than not understanding what the heck I'm trying to say! Hopefully I'll make sense :P )

As for those members bored with posts from the states, why didn't they start some threads of their own?  As far as this issue, "Start a subject on anything not involving the southern USA or chameadoreas and the thread dies an instant death."  Well, unfortunately, you can't make anyone be interested in a topic.  You also mentioned, Its a great place for those living in the southern USA to get together and chat, but the appeal to the rest of us out there is fading fast.  I'd like to know, who are "the rest?"

It sounds like there are a lot of them...  maybe if they all got together and posted more often they wouldn't be so bored with the forum... after all,  it IS what you make it.  

As for myself, I am a newbie and extremely shy, so I tend to respond only  to those with whom I feel comfortable.  There are quite a few members who are my FRIENDS. I knew these people way before I even knew what a chamaedorea was.  We became interested in palms and some of us joined the forum.  I didn't at first but my friends were telling me how much fun everyone is on the forum so I decided to join.  Now I get criticism for responding to my own friends on the forum, saying that it's favoritism! (Apparently I am in the SoCal clique)

ANYONE on this forum can get proactive and recruit a bunch of friends or acquaintances interested in palms just as the members from SoCal did... that's the beauty of this forum.  There are so many factors as to why people may not respond to someone's post...  maybe they only have internet access during the week, maybe no one knows anything on the subject, maybe they're sick with the flu, maybe they are extremely shy or just plain too busy!  Let's not jump to conclusions and assume it's a clique issue.

The only way to get over that feeling of being an outsider is to POST MORE!

It seems that people tend to respond to "familiar faces,"  the more you post and share with others the more likely they will respond to you.

As for me, being a newbie, I like to see PICTURES.  Not all of us know what the heck you palm veterans/big wigs/experts are talking about!! :)  I'm still trying to learn all the names.  :P  Throwing in an example or picture of what you're talking about helps tremendously and makes it a lot more interesting.  

I apologize if I seemed harsh in the beginning. I only meant to encourage you to keep participating and perhaps help us recruit more members from the U.K. (I have always enjoyed Corey's (a.k.a. Neofolis) participation!)

Oi! those of you in the UK, why don't you guys start a pictorial thread featuring your palms etc.  I think many of us would find that very interesting !! :) :)  :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Nigel,

Be assured that I haven't received your comments as anything other than constructive criticism, expressed with the intent of making PalmTalk even better. Most of the disenfranchised will just leave without a word, so I appreciate your willingness to express an opinion.

So, what can we take away from this discussion and use in a constructive manner? The actual suggestions have been few and far between. Splitting up our sub-forums into more sub-forums is not the answer. Providing a translated version of PalmTalk is impossible, unless a translator wishes to step forward and volunteer. The truth is that there is very little the IPS or I can do.

There are the little 'tricks' to keeping a thread active, like "bumping" the topic. More and better pics always generate interest. Humor helps. Posts need to be imaginative and interesting to stick out these days. As to the perception that US members only talk amongst themselves, this thread should illustrate that any interesting topic will receive attention.

Most have expressed the obvious, that the majority of the "action" will revolve around the interests of those that do the majority of the posting. And that will never change.

It's a fact that about half of our 1500 members have never even posted once. And I think we would all be surprised how much of our daily activity is the result of our 50 most active members alone. So expressing any displeasure with the 5-10% of members who do 90% of the posting is misguided. Without them the forum would be a graveyard. Our attention should be focused on the 90% of members who do 5-10% of the posting, and on acquiring new members.

Nigel,

In the absence of any other concrete suggestions, I can only offer the following. If you wish to PM me with the email addresses of any of the friends you are missing, or any other cold hardy palm enthusiasts, I will personally invite them to give us a try again. If there is indeed enough of an interest in cold hardy growing to sustain a discussion group, there is no better venue for it than here. But it will require an effort from those who are the most interested in the subject.

In addition, I would urge every member (especially those in the colder climates) to do the following. At the bottom of the main forum page ( http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi ) is an "Invite a Friend" feature. It would only take a few seconds to fill in the email address of a palm friend. They will then automatically receive a invitation to easily give PalmTalk a look.

The next time someone expresses interest in your palms, get their email address and send them an invitation. Don't just tell them about PalmTalk, make sure they get a personal invitation as well.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 04 2008,16:02)

I can assure you we have come a long way since our humble beginnings.

Dick is right. The IPS is in good shape, and PalmTalk has three times the members it had when RLR passed on. He would be proud.

And because of PalmTalk, the international communication between palm people has never been better.

If I had told you 10 years ago that palm enthusiasts from India, Thailand, The Philippines, Australia, Europe, So. America, Hawaii, etc. would be sharing photos and growing experiences on a real time basis, with the rest of the world listening in, you would have thought me crazy.

And suggesting we could participate in the discovery of a new genus, would have been equally suspect.

So while there is always room for improvement, do not overlook the positives that all of you have created.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Im a newbie in this forum.. and I also feel like the IPS is a US based forum, and that make sense due to the majority of members from this country.

I believe that sometimes the main problem is the language, most outsiders doesnt have a perfect english or they are scared to write or make mistakes while they write in english, I dont, so that why I m always watching and reading the posts,and adds replyes when i think I have something interesting to offer even if I make mistakes.

Im really surprised that in the 3 or 4 months that i `ve being reading this forum I have never seen another mexican posting here, even if we have great climate and native palms to grow.

I would like to encourage the participation of all the people from diferent countries in this forum.  

We need to become more active, and participate more!

This Topic started by Nigel is a great oportunity to make IPS a better forum to ALL!

Regards!

Christian

(krisachar @ Feb. 04 2008,07:55)

Dear Friends,

this year resolution is that i want to keep my big mouth shut ! and want to be less of a conterversial figure of this forum..

So,for a year i will keep my mouth shut and my ears & eyes wide open... ???

And watch closely how this topic is delt...

Love,

Kris.

Most assuredly Kris, I would not like to see your posts decrease!!   Many times your name comes up at the PRAs we meet at and the TRUELY International input you bring is priceless!

PLEASE continue posting with wild abandon.

There may be several that would like to see me post less, which I've often thought about. But I decided, TOUGH!  I am who I am and I like to read all this stuff I can, if my posts bring others, thats more for me to read.  Drown out my posts with your own if it bothers you alot.  (I have no idea if its a real problem with anyone, I'm just generalizing)

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Palmetro @ Feb. 04 2008,19:55)

Im a newbie in this forum.. and I also feel like the IPS is a US based forum, and that make sense due to the majority of members from this country.

I believe that sometimes the main problem is the language, most outsiders doesnt have a perfect english or they are scared to write or make mistakes while they write in english, I dont, so that why I m always watching and reading the posts,and adds replyes when i think I have something interesting to offer even if I make mistakes.

Im really surprised that in the 3 or 4 months that i `ve being reading this forum I have never seen another mexican posting here, even if we have great climate and native palms to grow.

I would like to encourage the participation of all the people from diferent countries in this forum.  

We need to become more active, and participate more!

This Topic started by Nigel is a great oportunity to make IPS a better forum to ALL!

Regards!

Christian

Cristian, "Cristobal" ? sometimes posts about his coconuts he is growing in Tiajuana.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks to you folks, one day I'll be able to answer a newbies question :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

True, I live in California, but I live in Palm Springs, a climate very much different from San Diego, L.A., San Francisco, or the central valley. I appreciate ALL I read on the forum. I cant grow the huge variety as some of my coastal compatriots but I have 23 species in my garden. I want EVERYONE'S participation!

• Upvote 1

David Supornick

Just a thought about further division of forums.  Many people have said in the past that they only check the main forum.  Many people have posted things in the main forum that don't really belong, purely because they weren't getting answers in one of the sub-forums.  It seems that by creating more sub-forums, you would just be reducing your audience and getting less chance of input or feedback.

P.S.  Still trying to work out the difference between giving up and moving on.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(IPSPTModerator @ Feb. 05 2008,03:01)

(...) Providing a translated version of PalmTalk is impossible, unless a translator wishes to step forward and volunteer. The truth is that there is very little the IPS or I can do.(...)

Dean,

Rather than traslating texts, I am suggesting this:

http://www.bromelien.net/index.php

Check the link. It is a Bromeliad forum kept by Germans in three languages with various subfora.

If multilingual moderation is a problem, then keep the off-topic subforum just for the language you can moderate.

"Only English" is a limit.

Carlo

This thread has run it's course, let's move on shall we ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bo, I dont agree with everything you have written in this thread , but thanks for giving it an airing.

I feel that I have done more than most to promote cold hardy palms over the last 10 years, for a start, apart from dave I cant think of anybody that has come close to answering the number of questions I have on hardy palms.

I have posted links to the IPS from other forums on many occasions to highlight interesting topics and what the IPS has to offer.

I have started many threads on this and other forums.

One of the main reasons why people from cold places are attracted here is because places like Florida and Texas ,whilst hotter, also experience hard freezes from time to time so grow many of the same range of palms. To see those palms growing to perfection and to  hear from those people about their experiences is quite interesting and exciting. There is half a dozen boards where you can chat about Trachycarpus fortunei , but not a Butyagrus or mature Butias, Trithrinax etc etc Merrills hybrids are a perfect example, and Merrill is still the shining light.

Maybe the problem is that without a hard freeze for many years suddenly the new world palms are more interesting than the host of cold hardy palms that went before.

As I said at the start I dont know what the answer is, but ignorance is bliss, and having highlighted the problem hopefully awareness will encourage people to become more active.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Most assuredly Kris, I would not like to see your posts decrease!!   Many times your name comes up at the PRAs we meet at and the TRUELY International input you bring is priceless!

Kris - I totally agree with this.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

(Al in Kona @ Feb. 05 2008,02:06)

Kris - I totally agree with this.

Kris, I too agree with this!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I'm from croatia, europe and i think this forum needs to stay in english only.

Bringing more languages to this forum would "divide" forum.

I don't believe that "only english" is a limit.

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Nigel, I would like to say that the forum is in a continuing state of flux. It will have its high points and low points. That's life. I would also like to say that I'm continually amazed at the dedication and success you UK growers have. It helps me in knowing cold hardiness issues of some species. For example when giving plants to people along the cold southern coast of Oz, I can tell them that this plant survives in the south of England for example and that ends any doubts regarding whether it will live or not. Also the UK and European growers are Trachycarpus kings and can tell the difference between different species. In the warmer climates such as mine, the species choices are relatively endless, so Trachycarpus can be overlooked as "no challenge" species, and ignored, however you guys are a wealth of information and have instilled appreciation for them in our warmer climates. My advice is this, stay with us, talk as you want and about what you want, within the guidelines of course, and if a subject gets ignored, bump it along. Not everyone may reply to you, but many will see it and learn from it. When I started in the palm forum in 2002, I just wandered through the forum picking up info without posting anything. I learnt alot and progressed to posting eventually. If you leave you will exacerbate the problem. At the moment I'm only one of maybe two people from West Oz posting at the moment. People come and go for various reasons. That's life.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nigel, the only remedy I see is for you and the other uk people, to simply post more.

when a thread drops bump it up.

why not create a stir and put up a mega thread of your own?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Nigel - you and I can form our own clique discussing cold hardy palms and their survivial.    Please don't walk away from the forum, we need your experience.  Cold hardy or tropical ?  we need information, ideas and personal experiences on all types of palms.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 04 2008,11:11)

Come on Kris.......We know you can't do that for long. Let someone picture a nice CIDP and you will lose controll! :)

Dick

:laugh:  :cool:  :D

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I am one of the newbies too and perhaps I've made a pest of myself in the last four weeks because I'm on such a steep learning curve. But I'm interested all palms wherever they are. I was in England and Wales last year and never realized palms could be grown there until I joined Palmtalk. I value the input from people everywhere. I'm a writer and editor. I can't count how many times I've been approached by wannabes who haven't the basic grasp of storytelling, even grammar. I answer their questions (yet again) and hope something sinks in. No, it ain't always fun, but if I don't steer them, who will?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IPS and Palmtalk aren't about US, our personalities and who knows what or plants what. They're about the palms and spreading our fascination with them to anyone who will listen. Many, many palms might or have become extinct because of habitat loss and human exploitation. Others exist only because people like us offer them safe haven. That's our most important mission and if this forum helps in any way, more power to it. I don't just want to grow palms and brag about them, I want to do all I can to save them -- tropical, cold-hardy, whatever. OK, I'll shut up.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well put Meg.

Nigel,

I am in SoCal but in one of the colder areas. Right now it is 31F at my place. Info from gents like yourself, Dick, Merril, etc.  on cold hardy palms is always read by me with great interest. I might not always respond as I am just a beginner and don't have any additional info. I'm just trying to soak it all in. Keep up the good work.

Hang in there,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Dear Friends of the earth  :)

iam just speechless seing all your love for this naughty fellow !

if we all had some kind of visual interaction,certainly you would have seen those tears from my eyes rolling !certainly out of love & appriciation from lots of memebers comments..

its true that the world around us is mirror,if you show love & affection,you will be rewarded life-wise..were the words of one of the rev.father of my college..he is right ! iam proud to say that i have more friends here in this forum,than all the friends put together here in india...A big thank you to you all,and i love you guys... :)

And this is a beautiful topic,because Nigel have been given full permission to express his thought & opnion of this forum & its memebers..i donot see so much liberty even in certain countries around the world that would include even my own country.iam pleased with this forum and i have learnt a lot about plants,palms,cycas...travelled with lot of memebers through their travelogues_my my i have really not seen the outside world,and i was a frog living in a house well !  :P And last but not the least even learning to behave properly..due to timely correction of some respected members..whom i love the most.

And why iam telling this because i have crossed the 6000 mark of post interaction.so i think i can speak on the topic you have raised.but as you have pointed out most european friends of this forum have P.M me telling that they do not have command over english language so they like to be a silent specator and are enjoying what is discussed in our forum ! But you are from england you can innisiate a lovely discussion based on plams & its problems..etc,certainly bill & i will visit your thread... :)

But one thing is stricking,and i agree that i do not see much of the regulars more now a days ? i feel they are all held up with some domestic work,or even travelling to some distinct place and want to surprise us with photos in the travelogue section..lets us not come to any conclusions right-away !

As for in my case i have grown both in palm species knowladge,lots of general information have been aquired..

i had the same opnion when i joined this site,that only U.S members have total control over this discussion board..and whenever i started a thread with questions,i had no answers from memebers...try searching my old threads..at that moment when i was really lost hope seeing nothing but the cold hardy & laurel hardy stuff...

immedietly one morning Paul in this P.M appriciated me for posting and also interacting in most of the threads..Thanks Paul,if not you & bill i would have mistaken this lovely forum as being americanised.and bill never ever think of reducing your interaction with all of us...since we all love you !

And at times when i keep typing birthday wishes for memebers who have not posted even a single post,only one member stood with me always in greeting even those guys is Bill.

And Negil,what is learnt is more of our participation in this forum will only lead to healthy discussion..look for instance you have started a thread,look at the response..here the guys are alive & bubbling with joy & energy !its up to us to make the most from their knolowledge.. :)

And as Dick & few others have pointed out,that a couple of Canary island date palm stills will make kris Go Gaga ! yes that's true.. :D

As their is a saying buety is in the eye of the beholder...for me at the moment this forum looks okay..but iam not a pro in this field but a normal palm enthuiest,but you may find some difference..but i hope reading all our memebers comments & suggestions..from then on members start making this forum more intreasting to proffesionals like you through out the globe..

i hope my comments have not irriated any of our memebers..And Nigel i have great respect for you that is the reason,i had to open my mouth on this topic...

lots of love,

Kris  :)

ed43376a.gif

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Carlo.....your mad!! You don't want frost of any kind. As I write this the temp. is 30F (-1C) on my Waggies......I'm not worried about them, but wondering what this is doing to my Parajubaea right next to them that is covered with a white frost.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Hell......It didn't even take a pic of a CIDP to get Kris to open up. Thanks Kris for your heart felt remarks. Your a good guy and as close to being a saint as anyone on this board.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

(krisachar @ Feb. 05 2008,10:17)

i had the same opnion when i joined this site,that only U.S members have total control over this discussion board..and whenever i started a thread with questions,i had no answers from memebers...

And Negil,what is learnt is more of our participation in this forum will only lead to healthy discussion..look for instance you have started a thread,look at the response..here the guys are alive & bubbling with joy & energy !its up to us to make the most from their knolowledge.. :)

i hope my comments have not irriated any of our memebers..And Nigel i have great respect for you that is the reason,i had to open my mouth on this topic...

lots of love,

Kris  :)

Kris, I never felt that US members have total control, I was just concerned at the way the board was evolving with the majority oblivious to people from outside the main group leaving and how they felt .

But you are right, the energy in this thread shows all is not lost.

To everybody that participated , I think it has only done the board good whatever your opinion or viewpoint may have been. Hopefully a few of the `lost souls` are looking in .

Resident in Bristol UK.

Hey Nigel

Another newbie here and from Texas.  I love reading these threads from all over the world.  Since I have joined IPS I have really learned so much from this forum.

Just wanted to say I would not like to see anyone leave, keep the Palm Family growing!

Edrow

• Upvote 1

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 05 2008,10:05)

I wish I could see frost on my waggies, at least once!  :P

(not on the neighbouring palms!)

Take it from a guy that sees a lot of frost! (IT SUCKS).YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF RUBBING A COLD BEER ON IT :D

Sometimes this PALMTALK site can be a little overwhelming.  If I took the time to read every post and make more frequent replies I'd be at the computer much too long and would not get much else accomplished.  Therefore I tend to only make comments on posts that interest me the most.  I don't totally ignore "cold hardy" palm posts.  I actually do read a lot of them when time permits but true, I seldom reply to them.

I often wish there was more participation from true tropical areas.  Of course the language barrier keeps a lot of that from happening.  However, we do now have occasional posts coming from such places as Brasil, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Fiji, Thailand, India, Madagascar, &  N. Australia (but where are the Cairns guys?).  Did I miss anyone?

I certainly hope you will stay with us Nigel.  As I mentioned, just because many of us do not reply to certain posts doesn't mean they aren't being read and of an interest or help to those here reading them.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Just remember Nigel...... Florida and California cover alot of different zones. I find I have more palm commonality with you, Greenhand, Keith in Louisiana, folks in Southern Europe etc. than I do with people in South Florida or Hawaii etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is a zone thing and not necessarily a U.S or Florida thing.

Just because my signature says Florida don't be quick to think that my posts or the posts of Luke in Tallahassee, or Tim Hopper in Jacksonville, or the folks in G-ville have alot to do with the stuff they grow down in Tampa and Miami. (Well maybe Tim.....he's growing some cool marginal stuff over there).

If you want to talk about Butias.....North Florida folks are some of the most knowlegable. Washingtonia, Mules, Canary Island, European fans.....that is what we are most likely to have imput.

I still look at the tropical threads and.........dream. But zone 8a,8b and 9a topics are what I am likely to respond to.

One more thing......Nigel.....lets see a picture of yourself (with a palm of course). I can't even think of what you might look like to have a sense of familiarity with you.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

It is quite off topic but I really do love the sight of wagnerianus leaves gracefully bordered by white frost. They grow well here in the Canaries away from the coastline, but frost is my forbidden dream, something that I have only seen in pictures. I will try rubbing a cold beer.

As a general rule I adore pictures of (healthy) palms with snow/frost. (--> post more those who can!)

Carlo

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 05 2008,18:26)

It is quite off topic but I really do love the sight of wagnerianus leaves gracefully bordered by white frost. They grow well here in the Canaries away from the coastline, but frost is my forbidden dream, something that I have only seen in pictures. I will try rubbing a cold beer.

As a general rule I adore pictures of (healthy) palms with snow/frost. (--> post more those who can!)

Carlo

Forbidden dream . . . .

DON'T I WISH!

Hmm.  According to my thermometer, we hit 28.9 F last night, (-1 C?)

If I get any pics of frost, I'll post them for you . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 05 2008,17:21)

Just remember Nigel...... Florida and California cover alot of different zones. I find I have more palm commonality with you, Greenhand, Keith in Louisiana, folks in Southern Europe etc. than I do with people in South Florida or Hawaii etc.

Exactly !!! Thats why us in cold places find parts of Florida and texas so interesting, you grow the same palms , but with so much summer heat they actually look like ours will when we are pensioners !!!

North Florida holds much fascination for us.

Resident in Bristol UK.

England has long been a country which pushed the  boundaries in gardening with a voracious appetite for new species new styles and new ways of gardening, and a new era of growing hardy subtropical species has transformed many UK gardens over the last 10-20 years.   Nigel you are part of that and in the pursuit of the species to grow there and the best way to grow them,  I am sure you have learned a huge amount about growing palms  in the UK.    But communities are just that.  If you cannot be in the mainstream of the community on this forum,  then it does seem less relevent,   it does seem like a waste of time,  and it may be that you can find another forum which is more compatible with your interests.   Its certainly the case that UK participants are not very active these days.  If you guys all decided to start using the IPS forum,  the focus would change somewhat.  That would be great !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.