IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Changing face of palmtalk

Nigel

It does seem strange that people outside the US, who are dissatisfied with what they see as an excessively US bias, would leave and therefore contribute to that situation.  Surely the obvious way to combat the dissatisfaction would be to try to encourage more people outside the US to join and post regularly.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Necesito visitar http://www.infojardin.com/foro/forumdisplay.php?f=36, ayunque no puedo escribir bien.  (Carlo, I admire your linguistic skills!)

I don't know whether it would be practical to create deck-chair circle(s) for palm systematics, ecology, conservation.  But successful organizations sometimes shuffle things around just for the sake of getting people to sit in different deck-chair circles!  It's the managerial equivalent of jiggling something to see if it'll work better.

I have no idea of how to foster English-Spanish-Portuguese-(Italian??) contacts.   Wouldn't it be nice if some benefactor would sponsor a Latin American equivalent to Palms?

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Neofolis @ Feb. 04 2008,09:41)

It does seem strange that people outside the US, who are dissatisfied with what they see as an excessively US bias, would leave and therefore contribute to that situation.  Surely the obvious way to combat the dissatisfaction would be to try to encourage more people outside the US to join and post regularly.

Corey,they dont give up,they move on and find somewhere else where they can have the two way discussions they seek.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

(LJG @ Feb. 04 2008,00:26)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Feb. 03 2008,21:08)

I will add, I will sometimes look on the "profiles" of members and it will tell when they last "logged in". Several folks are still here, just not posting.

Wow. That is kind of freaky. You are like an online stalker.  :P

Don't flatter yourself, it's only the "regular" folks that I haven't seen post in a while.  Sometimes I'll click on the "Birthday Kid" I don't recognise and see that they haven't logged in 3 months or more.  :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 04 2008,07:10)

. All the SP people (many IPS members) now meet on the "illegal" Spanish palm forum, because, the International PS only admits English.

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Carlo, fascinating topics being discussed there, I wish I could join in !

Maybe I should have learned Spanish rather than Portuguese........

Resident in Bristol UK.

It interesting that this topic which was only posted 2 days ago has gotten so many hits.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 04 2008,10:21)

It interesting that this topic which was only posted 2 days ago has gotten so many hits.

Dick

That can only be a good thing Dick.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Dear Friends,

this year resolution is that i want to keep my big mouth shut ! and want to be less of a conterversial figure of this forum..

So,for a year i will keep my mouth shut and my ears & eyes wide open... ???

And watch closely how this topic is delt...

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Come on Kris.......We know you can't do that for long. Let someone picture a nice CIDP and you will lose controll! :)

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

(Nigel @ Feb. 04 2008,10:05)

(Neofolis @ Feb. 04 2008,09:41)

Corey,they dont give up,they move on and find somewhere else where they can have the two way discussions they seek.

Nigel,

I hear where you are coming from,the forum has changed,for a number of reasons.

Change is enevitable over time,a forum starts out and grows ,people drop out of site for various reasons, then might come back,new people join. But in any forum a core group of people usually make up the bulk of posts. It is only human nature that people form bonds with  like minded people,or cliques if you will.

It is also a fact whether it be the US or someplace else around the world that the vast majority of palms are grown in climates that are tropical,subtropical,or moderately temperate. So one would have to expect that these places would dominate the conversation,even in the beginning!

It's obvious you are not pleased with the direction of this board. But in IMHO there is no amount of rearranging the deck chairs, creating sub forums, or teaking, that will solve what you perceive as a PROBLEM! You can't make people interested in disscussing cold hardy palms if they are not interested. A forum evolves into what is is over time,good or bad,but that is an individual perception,good or bad. It has a life of it's own,and that won't change because someone wants it to!

So you either take it for what it is, or as you stated in your post to Corey, you move on. I hope you don't ,because I found your posts interesting and we had some good disscussions about Queen palms and various other subjects! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

YEAAAA it began with 3 seeds

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

:;):

• Upvote 1

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

I love cold hardy palms, I grow many in my So Cal garden. The fact is, you put them in the ground and ignore them and they always look great, so there is not much I need to discuss. Second, it is like anything else, supply and demand. You cannot force a topic on a majority interested in something else. There is also a cyclical effect, interests come and go as do people. I have been on this board for years and years, I remember taking a couple of years off and not even looking at the board, then coming back. I suggest as Bo does, that you must take the initiative to post about what you like and stay active, that will eventually bring back others of similar interest. It would also help to have new and fresh ideas to discuss. I see everyday a new post that was a repeat I have seen dozens of times over the years, so there is nothing else to add.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary,

I agree with you except there is an ebb and flow to the board, and there are new people coming in all the time. What's old hat to us who have been around awhile, might be startling new information to the new commers, so we must tollerate repeats......and repeats, etc. Sometimes a review of an old thread might not be bad. I sure enjoyed the pictoral tour of your S. Calif. gardens. I hope to see the real thing sometime.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

It's interesting to see how much feedback this thread is getting (Nigel - thanks for starting it! :) ). Discussion and exchange of ideas is always healthy.

A couple of thoughts. First, regarding a few comments that Carlo made.

"In past times, IPS members from the So.US got PALMS and a full world of meetings and friends. IPS members from abroad just got PALMS (and paid a few $$ more).

Now people from abroad just get PALMS and PALMTALK. It is here where the internationality of the international PS should be defended.

How really strong is the desire for "internationality" in the "International" PS "

Carlo - not sure exactly what you refer to when you say "full world of meetings"? If you're talking about local meetings, these are organized by local palm societies, and the IPS has absolutely nothing to do with these so we can remove these from the equation. If you're referring to the Biennials, then I think we need to look at the facts:

2000 in New Caledonia - French speaking

2002 French Riviera - French speaking

2004 Hawaii - English

2006 Dominican Rep. - Spanish speaking

And the future:

2008 Costa Rica - Spanish speaking

2010 - not decided yet, but as you know probably either in Tenerife or in Brazil - again in a Latin speaking country

2012 - Thailand

So, bottom line, out of SEVEN Biennials, only ONE in an English speaking country. And FIVE of those in Latin speaking countries....! Definitely does seem like there's a tilt here! But it most certainly does not favor the U.S. or those living there. Fact is, as you certainly know, we've had more participants from Spanish speaking countries recently than ever before.

About PalmTalk itself - as should be obvious to anyone, the Forum is a reflection of the active participants, and as I mentioned in my first post, the two largest groups of IPS members & Forum members happen to be in SoCal and Florida. It's only natural to expect Forum members from those two areas to also be the ones to provide the most feedback and posts. Complaining about it, or critizing it, is an exercise in futility. The only solution, as has been mentioned in other posts above, is to be as active as possible, and one person can make quite a difference. Bobby in NY is a perfect example (even though he hasn't been very active lately). Bobby single-handedly managed to put NY on the "palm map" by being so active. Kris, of course, has done the same for India. New York and India - talk about two complete opposites from a palm growing point of view. But this is what's great about PalmTalk - opinions, experiences and knowledge from all sorts of different environments across the spectrum. And this is what makes this Forum truly International.

Finally, I'd like to address the comment about "cliques". I have seen this issue raised before, and it has also been raised in this thread. To complain about "cliques" being formed, and feeling like an outsider really is unfair in my opinion.

First of all, when a new Forum member makes himself or herself known, that person always gets a warm welcome from many different Forum members from all over the world. I don't want to mention any names because I would be bound to forget someone, but looking back over the last several months, there have been a few new members joining the Forum and becoming VERY active from the very beginning, and just based on the feedback these new members have received, I think it should be obvious that anyone who is willing to become active here, will also receive a warm welcome, and lots of feedback.

Secondly, the Forum is like an "open party". Anyone who is interested in palms, or even plants in general, is more than welcome to join and then participate. To join and then not participate, and maybe complain about "cliques" is like someone entering a party where he/she doesn't know anyone, and then just stand on the sidelines and complain about how much of an outsider you feel like, instead of introducing yourself and joining the fun. There are a number of Forum members that I've had lots of interaction with on PalmTalk, but I've never met them. But I already feel like I know them well. And over the last couple of years I've also had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Forum members in person, and after communicating with them on the Forum you always, without exception, feel like you meet an old friend. I realize that by living in Hawaii I'm probably more fortunate than most in this respect since Hawaii will always be a popular destination, but that doesn't change the fact that wherever you happen to live, you can always establish satisfying relationships with other Forum members. And if and when you travel, assuming you visit a place where palms can grow, chances are you'll be able to meet some other Forum member.

Bottom line from my point of view: it's up to each and every one of us to participate. And the more we participate, the more enjoyment we get out of this little activity! :)

Edit - despite my longwinded post above I neglected to stress the following: Forum members who know each other personally will of course always communicate in a more personal manner. This is a GOOD thing! :)  We WANT Forum members to actively get to know others on the Forum. Jeff's and Ken's recent trip to SoCal is a perfect example of Forum members getting together and having a great time. My guess is that the personal relationships that were established during those few days will alter the communication here on the Forum between Jeff & Ken and all the SoCal Forum members they met. It may even encourage others in SoCal who are currently not Forum members to sign up and become active. Expanding the number of Forum members who know each other personally is one of the great things about this Forum - other than our expanded knowledge of palms. Being critical of the personal type of communication that results from these closer contacts is to miss the point.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Nigel @ Feb. 03 2008,05:24)

Lately its been apparent to me ( and a few others) that the board has lost the worldwide discussions that used to take place.

It has evolved into a place where only growing in Florida, Texas and similar places is of interest to the majority.

Chameadoreas, New World palms and Trachys growing in Texas are big hits.

Start a subject on anything not involving the southern USA or chameadoreas and the thread dies an instant death.

This is why many of the older members have left, bored with posts about the weather in florida, or growing coconuts in florida, and lack of interest in anything else.

I dont know how we can get the discussions back the way they were, but I feel sad that a lot of my old friends have become disillusioned and left , nothing of interest is posted on the board any more for those wanting to grow cold hardy palms, and when it does it is largely ignored.

Having made several attempts to start interesting discussions over the last few months on subjects of cold hardy palms, and been largely ignored because it doesnt interest the main clique , rather than just fade away like so many others I wanted to highlight to the moderators just how polarised the board has become.

I dont know what can be done about it, but if the board is here for purposes of educating the world about palms , then it is not going in the right direction, and I feel it is failing in its objective.

Its a great place for those living in the southern USA to get together and chat, but the appeal to the rest of us out there is fading fast.

I remain interested in every cold hardy discussion that comes up, even if I don't post.  Nigel, keep up the good stuff, don't be dismayed if a post doesn't continue...I'm reading everything and chime in if I feel I have something to contribute.

I pay attention to the threads of the stuff I am interested in growing.  I think that is just part of the nature of this board.   I just don't read the other posts.

I think were in a mid winter lull, things will pick up in the Spring.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

All us northern hemisphere guys and gals, need some of what WAL'S got, to soothe the winter blues!!

Perfect Palm growing weather! :D  :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I have written 2 or 3 responses to this and not sent, even debated whether to respond at all.   But you asked for it, so here goes.

Having been here from the beginning you might not have noticed that a small, select group of folks here have a support structure that they extend to anyone new.  Most, but not all, of these folks are from SoCal and SoFL.  And I have seen them extend the same support to everyone new, regardless of what part of the world they are from.  I enjoy interacting with new people and have tried to join that support structure welcoming people to the board, as I was welcomed.  I always think it is really cool when someone from another part of the world responds to one of my posts, and so must they, so I try.  

What I have noticed is this board is a community, and like anyone new to a community, one has to work hard and go the extra steps to be accepted into it.  And the less you have in common with that community (in this case palm diversity wise) the longer it takes.  I have also noticed just a couple of folks who are old timers who won’t give you the time of day, most days.   I have just assumed they like their world and don’t want anyone messing with it, particularly someone with nothing to offer who just dilutes the good stuff.  

But that core support structure is always there, they seem to seek out those dying threads and bump them every now and then.  I won’t list them here for fear of leaving someone out, but you know who they are.  So think about where they are from.  I have had my share of threads die, and while it is disappointing it makes me try harder next time to find something of more interest.  In the meantime, I think it is no accident that the majority of posts come from those areas offering the majority of support to new comers.  It is just natural.

If you step back and look, good and bad, this board parallels the behavior of a small town in many ways.   And this particular small town has an ever increasing migration of newcomers from “the city.”   Old timers in the small town feel it is losing its identity to those who “don’t have clue what our town is about and don't know jack about living in the country.”   Newcomers think they have just moved to the best place they have ever lived.  Good or bad, such is evolution.  

Note – I have no idea if I got across what I was trying to say here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Perhaps a new cold hardy section would help.  New users from the subtropical or temperate regions might find it easier to navigate the site looking for the necessary information.

I may understand partly what you are feeling nigel.  My palms need to take a freeze 5x a year(avg low 27F) and 110F 6% RH in summer.  What this means is that much of whats learned in socal and florida isnt of high value to me.  The "cliques" are probably just a result of people having something in common and perhaps even knowing each other as they go to the same palm society meetings/nurseries.  Posters from arizona are pretty much nonexistent anymore, probably since the useful information exchange is limited.  Many threads are not of high interest to me, but some are.  Even if I cant grow an orange crush dypsis, I sure like to gaze on pics of Bo's groves of them, fantastic!  Peoples interests change with time, some might have found other things to do with their spare time.  I notice that my interest in palms is higher when I have recently purchased a new specimen or when my palms are actively growing.  Right now, I am just happy my palms came through the winter unscathed.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 04 2008,11:11)

Come on Kris.......We know you can't do that for long. Let someone picture a nice CIDP and you will lose controll! :)

Dick

Yes Kris cant stop himself with the CIDP's.  I went to the Phx Zoo last weekend and the magnificent CIPDs reminded me of Kris.  My grandchildren had me so distracted, I forgot my camera.  I shall go again this weekend and get some nice pics of the CIDP's and the washy filiferas with 20-30' of beard(or skirt), that will make Kris break his silence and dispense with this silly nonsense of not posting

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The beauty of this forum is that it makes me feel "plugged in," with the latest palm news. Most of the information we recieve is current and "right now," not months or years old news. We are pretty spread out in Northern Calif., and only have about 4 palm Society meetings a year, so I don't get to see my old palm society buddys and discusss palms but a few times a year. This board makes it seem there is a palm society meeting every day, as there is usually something interesting being discussed.

I can't grow tropical palms, but I sure like to see them and appreciate them in other people's gardens or botanical gardens. There is always something to catch my interest, different climates, soils, what will grow where.....all those things are interesting to me. As Bo points out, different personalities come into play, and you feel like you know people, even though you have never met them in person. All things considered, this is a SUPER forum and I'd be lost without it. I guess we all take the internet for granted these days, but it's pretty remarkable we can get news from Australia or any place on the planet in a split second, and with pictures too. The other remarkable thing about this, it is open to all and at no charge.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Newbie here.

This board has been like a revelation for me personally. I've always loved Palms even as a kid growing up in Albuquerque. Since I plan on moving to Hilo in the very near future, the variety and beauty of Hawaii has rekindled what was a love into a passion.  I lurked for awhile, but found that by contributing to the board I now feel like I've been taken into the fold. I've also become a heck of a lot more knowledgeable viewing posts and receiving answers to what I feel like are simple questions. That's how we learn and thanks for the patience. Being new I have no knowledge of what or who was before, I just know now and so far it has been invaluable and appreciated. Now, since I've already made plans to visit some of the local  PS members on my next trip to Hawaii, you Aussies beware, I'm coming to visit!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

All good talking....

A cold hardy section is hard to define, it is a thing without boundaries. For example, to me Phoenix canariensis is a native species thriving in Tenerife in Zone 11, and butias are drought tolerant palms for all zones. Why should I put them in the "hardy" box?

Back to the Spanish forum, it is a really thriving thing, with lots of feedback from cold Spain or Argentina and tropical America too. it is a pity we don't have this within the IPS.

Check also the Italian forum,much smaller though, but it is there where I have seen Dypsis decipiens and Dypsis decaryi under the snow.

http://www.tropicamente.it/forum....Cicadee

Regarding the French forum, there is where Bruno rescued the incredible pictures of Trachycarpus princeps in habitat.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=9712

Carlo

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 04 2008,15:34)

All good talking....

A cold hardy section is hard to define, it is a thing without boundaries. For example, to me Phoenix canariensis is a native species thriving in Tenerife in Zone 11, and butias are drought tolerant palms for all zones. Why should I put them in the "hardy" box?

Back to the Spanish forum, it is a really thriving thing, with lots of feedback from cold Spain or Argentina and tropical America too. it is a pity we don't have this within the IPS.

Check also the Italian forum,much smaller though, but it is there where I have seen Dypsis decipiens and Dypsis decaryi under the snow.

http://www.tropicamente.it/forum....Cicadee

Regarding the French forum, there is where Bruno rescued the incredible pictures of Trachycarpus princeps in habitat.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=9712

Carlo

I posted this in another thread today, but English only speakers need not feel left out.  

"If you install the Google Toolbar, it has a translate feature.  It is not perfect, but will get the job done, on most pages, well enough for you to figure out the rest."

toolbar.google.com

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I'm up for a cold-hardy forum. A great number of palms see fatal damage between 23-27F. A cold-hardy thread could focus on palms that see fatal damage in the 0 to 22F range. It would eliminate weeding through the mystery Dypsis, hyophorbe, coco, etc threads that tend to make one enraged with sour grapes like me.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 04 2008,13:45)

I have written 2 or 3 responses to this and not sent, even debated whether to respond at all.   But you asked for it, so here goes.

Having been here from the beginning you might not have noticed that a small, select group of folks here have a support structure that they extend to anyone new.  Most, but not all, of these folks are from SoCal and SoFL.  And I have seen them extend the same support to everyone new, regardless of what part of the world they are from.  I enjoy interacting with new people and have tried to join that support structure welcoming people to the board, as I was welcomed.  I always think it is really cool when someone from another part of the world responds to one of my posts, and so must they, so I try.  

What I have noticed is this board is a community, and like anyone new to a community, one has to work hard and go the extra steps to be accepted into it.  And the less you have in common with that community (in this case palm diversity wise) the longer it takes.  I have also noticed just a couple of folks who are old timers who won’t give you the time of day, most days.   I have just assumed they like their world and don’t want anyone messing with it, particularly someone with nothing to offer who just dilutes the good stuff.  

But that core support structure is always there, they seem to seek out those dying threads and bump them every now and then.  I won’t list them here for fear of leaving someone out, but you know who they are.  So think about where they are from.  I have had my share of threads die, and while it is disappointing it makes me try harder next time to find something of more interest.  In the meantime, I think it is no accident that the majority of posts come from those areas offering the majority of support to new comers.  It is just natural.

If you step back and look, good and bad, this board parallels the behavior of a small town in many ways.   And this particular small town has an ever increasing migration of newcomers from “the city.”   Old timers in the small town feel it is losing its identity to those who “don’t have clue what our town is about and don't know jack about living in the country.”   Newcomers think they have just moved to the best place they have ever lived.  Good or bad, such is evolution.  

Note – I have no idea if I got across what I was trying to say here.

I think this is the best reply of all.

I remember when I first started on the old board, Merrill was my inspiration and still is today. Nobody else in the palm world has given so much without expecting anything in return. There was others too who welcomed me just the way merrill did.

Maybe keith is right and its like a town where some move out and newbies move in, and the newbies dont talk to you the way the ones that moved out did because they are a new generation with different ideals and interests.

I still dont think anybody is paying enough attention to this flight , to the polarisation thats occurring ,and it disturbs me that so many of my old friends are gone, but if thats the nature of things I guess I have to accept thats the way it is.

I guess I will continue to watch the board , and post from time to time, but accept that things have moved on and leave the newbies to continue their chattering.

Resident in Bristol UK.

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 04 2008,16:13)

Nigel, this is so dramatic!  Jump in and post with us!  We cherish your experiance!

I didnt say I wouldnt post........... Keiths analogy has made me realise in terms of the board I am not a youngster !

I will still try to help newbies from time to time where appropriate because i wont be able to stop myself, but I will lower my expectations as to what to expect from the board myself.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Just a quick note: a dedicated cold hardy Forum will NOT happen for the simple reason that it would be impossible to define. For instance, should it be limited to palms that do well only in "colder" areas? That would eliminate Trachycarpus, Washingtonia and Chamaerops for instance, because all those three can be grown very successfully here in the tropical climate of the Big Island. Or should it be limited to palms that can take temps below 32 F/0 Celsius? That would be positively silly since MANY palms, including palms that come from the tropics, would fall in this category.

Fact is - any and all discussion about palms should continue to take place in one place, and that's right here in the main "Discussing Palm Trees" forum. Anything else would end up being divisive and potentially confusing.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Nigel @ Feb. 04 2008,16:18)

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 04 2008,16:13)

Nigel, this is so dramatic!  Jump in and post with us!  We cherish your experiance!

I didnt say I wouldnt post........... Keiths analogy has made me realise in terms of the board I am not a youngster !

I will still try to help newbies from time to time where appropriate because i wont be able to stop myself, but I will lower my expectations as to what to expect from the board myself.

Not being a newbie, means you have more to offer.  

In my short time on this board, I have seen threads repeat over and over, heck sometimes even simultaenously.  When I search the archives, I see even more.  Having been here from the beginning, how boring it must be for you and some of the old timers to see that same things go on over and over again and again.  I suspect that alone drives some away.

But guys like you, and others under your tutorage, need to keep answering those questions.  Remember back to the great fun, when you were a newbie, learning constantly.  That is many of us.  

I remember on other forums, that RLR always answered questions, some to me, and some that after knowing better later on, I was embarrassed to have asked.   But I was honored when he did respond.  

I live on the edge, Zone 8b/9a.  I can't identify with most of these guys and what they grow, but man do I appreciate it when they respond to one of my posts.  And I read their post with great interest as well.  I can't wait to someday travel to where they are, and now along with sightseeing, I look forward even more to meeting some of the Palmtalkers.  This board has added a whole new dimension to palms, it has added people.  That is the magic here.

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 04 2008,16:32)

But guys like you, and others under your tutorage, need to keep answering those questions.  Remember back to the great fun, when you were a newbie, learning constantly.  That is many of us.  

I remember on other forums, that RLR always answered questions, some to me, and some that after knowing better later on, I was embarrassed to have asked.   But I was honored when he did respond.  

I live on the edge, Zone 8b/9a.  I can't identify with most of these guys and what they grow, but man do I appreciate it when they respond to one of my posts.  And I read their post with great interest as well.  I can't wait to someday travel to where they are, and now along with sightseeing, I look forward even more to meeting some of the Palmtalkers.  This board has added a whole new dimension to palms, it has added people.  That is the magic here.

Keith, one thing I have always taken great pleasure from is helping others with advice and sharing knowledge. Sometimes I feel like I have answered the same question a thousand times, but it doesnt matter.

Thats never going to change.

Resident in Bristol UK.

I have often thought one of the shortcomings of this board to be the small number of master palm growers willing to assume the role of teacher to the new enthusiasts.  Disdain for newbies and their chatter could so easily be flipped around to be encouragement and education.  

Those master palm growers who do take the time to answer questions and discuss a wide variety of topics with anyone, regardless of experience, become palm legends on the board, and their words carry a lot of weight.  We need more of them, not fewer.

With many budding enthusiasts lurking but too intimidated to even ask a question, this very discussion may have just unintentionally smothered more potential participation, particularly from those in colder climates who wonder if they 'belong' here.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Some questions are so specific no one has the answer, or at least not quickly.

Many's the time I've posted a query and gotten no response.  I'm disappointed when that happens, but that's the way it is sometimes.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(bgl @ Feb. 04 2008,16:25)

Just a quick note: a dedicated cold hardy Forum will NOT happen for the simple reason that it would be impossible to define. For instance, should it be limited to palms that do well only in "colder" areas? That would eliminate Trachycarpus, Washingtonia and Chamaerops for instance, because all those three can be grown very successfully here in the tropical climate of the Big Island. Or should it be limited to palms that can take temps below 32 F/0 Celsius? That would be positively silly since MANY palms, including palms that come from the tropics, would fall in this category.

Fact is - any and all discussion about palms should continue to take place in one place, and that's right here in the main "Discussing Palm Trees" forum. Anything else would end up being divisive and potentially confusing.

I agree.

Dividing things up into too many pieces makes it hard to keep up.

If, for example, we were to have three different "palm" boards, plus travelogues, Ohana Nui, etc., it would become much more difficult to respond to all threads.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.