IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California Gardens 2008

Jeff Searle

This is one of my favorite trees. I'm posing for scale with Ficus dammaropsis.

post-23-1201923793_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, nice pics and I will do the clarifying.

Post 60 - 2 Jubaea with CIDP in Background

Post 61 - 2 Pseudophoenix Sargentii, not Decipians

Post 63 - Brahea Armata

Post 66 - Allouadia Procera

Post 67 - Boojum in front of Ken and rock

Post 71 - Preostoea Montana

Post 75 - xButyagrus F2, from seed off Huntington xButyagrus

Post 77 - Ravenea Glauca

Post 78 - Ravenea Glauca

Hope this clears things up, thanks for posting and I will see you next week.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

A close-up of the leaf, showing just how big this plant is.

This concludes the tour at Gary's.

Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to show us all around. You have a great garden with many nice palms, and just love the boulders.

post-23-1201924118_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Gary,

Thanks, at times I felt like a rookie.... :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Gtlevine @ Feb. 01 2008,19:44)

Jeff, I can understand how you would confuse Pseudophoenix Sargentii and D. Decipians. Now if you happened to be from Florida, or have been to Madagascar or even lets say you owned a palm nursery, well then I would give you a hard time for missing this one .....   :P

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

All of the place you went are on now my list of gardens to see. Thanks for the tour.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(LJG @ Feb. 01 2008,20:42)

(Gtlevine @ Feb. 01 2008,19:44)

Jeff, I can understand how you would confuse Pseudophoenix Sargentii and D. Decipians. Now if you happened to be from Florida, or have been to Madagascar or even lets say you owned a palm nursery, well then I would give you a hard time for missing this one .....   :P

:P :P :P:D

lol

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Been to those gardens, wanna come visit again!

And again.

And . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jeff,

Thanks for all the great photos! And Gary - lots of spectacular palms! :) I'm still very curious to see how D. decipiens will grow here compared to SoCal, and based on what I've read in POM (and the pictures I've seen), your environment seems to be very close to their native one. But I still have great hopes for the ones here! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Feb. 02 2008,12:04)

Jeff,

Thanks for all the great photos! And Gary - lots of spectacular palms! :) I'm still very curious to see how D. decipiens will grow here compared to SoCal, and based on what I've read in POM (and the pictures I've seen), your environment seems to be very close to their native one. But I still have great hopes for the ones here! :)

Bo-Göran

Thanks for the compliment Bo. Considering the torture that my garden went through, I'm happy to have a few nice palms left. My Dypsis Decipians got fried and lost half it's leaves after the fire, thank goodness it survived.

Keep those large Dypsis I have been seeing in your nursery out of your garden, when I return to Hilo next fall I want to load them on the boat and send them east.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, you have a very extensive collection and I am glad it was mostly spared from the fires. Planting in and around those boulders has got to be interesting. Have you ever had to move them or remove one? I was in Pennsylvania for a while one time, and I watched one company move boulders around for purposes of landscaping. It did not look easy.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

By mid-morning we left Gary's and drove over to Randy Moore's house. Randy's garden was only a few years old and was loaded with very nice palms. A look coming up to the front of his beautiful home.

Jeff

post-23-1202095180_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A large Ravenea sp. Kingaly

post-23-1202095848_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Some really beautiful blue Encephalartos.

post-23-1202095911_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ken and Bill showing me with what used to be a Bismarckia. The goffers got to this and killed it.

post-23-1202096026_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Just one of many beautiful settings in Randy's yard.

post-23-1202096105_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The walkway leading up the conservatory.

post-23-1202096295_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Inside the conservatory, we found a very nice collection of palms and other tropicals. This is looking down at the exposed roots of Verschaffeltia splendida.

post-23-1202096534_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The always popular Areca vestiaria,Red Form.

post-23-1202096605_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Upclose at a very robust Dypsis baronii.

post-23-1202096666_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ok Cali guys, definate credit due to you guys...  I have seen some FANTASTIC collections!  Well manicured to jungle styles all with the rarest of rare plants.  The jubes and the ropos are outstanding!  Serious palm envy going on there...  I have done my best to just shut my yapper and take it all in.  WOW and WOW again! :D

Jeff, your last post, #103 was in Jeff Brusseau's garden, not Randy's. It is not Dypsis Baronii either, I asked Jeff about this palm and he bought it under the name Neophloga Affinis, this name is now Dypsis Scottiana. From the small size of the stems I believe this is a correct name.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary,

Sorry for the mix-up. I wasn't sure where we left Randy's house and then started at Jeff's house. They were both incredible gardens for sure. But, the palm in my photo  to me is just a D. baronii "type". I'm almost sure(maybe someone else can add to this) that this is not D. scottiana. D. scottiana has very thin stems, close to the diameter of a pencil,maybe  a little bigger, and the stems have a black coloring to it. Also the leaves are much more smaller. If you google search the name, you will see some pictures of it. Let me know.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You may be right, but Neophloga Affinis is the name Jeff bought the palm under. Definately looks like a super mini Baronii, but the stems are only a couple inches thick so it is not Baronii. Anyway, we all loved it watever it may be.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I am pretty sure this is the same plant in my yard and Bob DeJong's yard:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....y168662

I think this is the plant that Rancho Soledad sold as Neophloga Affinis and now calls Dypsis psammophila. It of course is not D. psammophila or D. scottiana. I think this is or closely related to Dypsis albofarinosa. I think this is what the Soledad plants look like in full Vista sun and in great soil with a Dosetron to help fertilize.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think you are right Len, it looks closest to what Soledad has as Psammophila. This is the best guess at this point, but I am always unsure with these Dypsis.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Len,

Thanks for adding some thought, but I disagree thats it's D. albofarinosa either. These out there we saw are a yellow color and were robust, where D. albo. has a beautful white color in the crown of leaves. I would be willing to "bet the farm" on it, well almost. :D  When I see you guys next, I'll show you what i think is which. Should make for a good sit down round table discussion, ( but no beers). :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, it might be closely related to Dypsis albofarinosa. :)

I have the Soledad plant and one of your true Albo's. I can barely tell the difference. One key thing that Dean pointed out to me last year is that the Soledad plant has the black flecks on the new leaf petioles where your true Albofarinosa does NOT. Other then this, the plants are almost the same. Of course it can only be guesses on this stuff. I think Jeff's is just excellently grown. What ever it is, I hope I have it as it is a beautiful plant as we all agreed.

I look forward to seeing your collection in April. It will certainly be a highlight.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

After finishing a tour at Randy Moore's house, we then arrived at Jeff Brusseau's garden. This is the entrance as we pulled up.

Jeff

post-23-1202170949_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff's garden had a superb collection of cycads. Actually, it was the most that I had ever seen in a private garden, short of Loran Whitelock's garden up in LA.

post-23-1202171378_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was an interesting plant I came across. I think it was called New Zealand Flax. The genus is Phorium(?). A beauty in the landscape. Does anyone know if this will grow here in South Florida ? I suppose not.

post-23-1202171547_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was told this was Encephalartos whitelockiana.

Jeff

post-23-1202171625_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len and Bill standing in front a massive Pandanus specie.

post-23-1202172699_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was Trithrinax campestris. Something we don't see at home.

post-23-1202172944_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.