IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Onilahensis

Urban Rainforest

nice pic,wal.i LOVE the way the leaflets fall & the curve of them!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Some time ago I posted the below 3- pictures of my largest so called Dypsis onilahensis and most everyone who made comments agreed that it was one form of that palm.  Do you guys think it is also?

post-90-1156810990_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Another view . . .

post-90-1156811052_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

View of trunking . . .

post-90-1156811129_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

(Jeff Searle @ Aug. 27 2006,22:12)

My OPEN HOUSE SALE will be on Fri. Sept.22nd, Sat. the 23rd. and Sun. the 24th. I will have a large one about 6-7' for display, with smaller ones underneath to sell.

Already have it marked on my calendar :D

Ummmmm, can you hold one of those oni's.... or maybe a st. lucei (can't remember the spelling!)  for me?  pleeeeze?  It is a 5-hour drive so I can't get there as early as the locals.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny, no problem. See you then.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Al,

Sure looks like D.onilahensis to me. And the stiff leaf form, very good. It should be seeding by now??

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My 2-year old -- guess I'll be waiting a while for it to look like these, if it is onilahensis:

onilahensis06.jpg

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Kathy,

Hi, I was wondering how far north will this palm grow in Calif. How long have you had yours and do you know of anyone else in your area with success so far?

There are alot of species of Dypsis that are found in habitat at high elevations. Some of these for instance,Dypsis decipiens does well at lower elevations and even with alot of rainfall.

But I'd like to know if any readers in the central and northern parts of Calif. are growing these (D. onilahensis) or other species of Dypsis with some success.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Jeff.  I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years now, and it's been no trouble whatsoever.  I just wish it were bigger!  It grows steadily but slowly on my front porch, and is currently around 20" tall, throwing a spear every 60 days or so.  We are at approximately 37.9 latitude North.

I'm sure others in the Bay Area will pipe in with their's, but I'm not sure who exactly has one of these.  All my other Dypsis are newer except my decipiens.  I've had my decipiens as long as my onilahensis, yet it's in the ground and I recently moved it -- suprisingly it looks happier than it ever has and has thrown 2 spears since moving (would need to search the old threads here for the move date -- believe it was about a month and half ago).

Count me as one who wants to try them all -- just need a couple more years to start having something to report!

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

I'm not in Northern Cal, but I've been told Melbourne has a similar climate temperature wise to San Francisco.  I've got over 10 Dypsis species, the best growers in the ground being baronii, decipiens and onilahensis, while lutescens survives but never looks as good as the others.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I have what I believe are 3 forms of D. onilahensis. The first being the weeping form. Which has also been called D. isaloensis. The second form resembles a green D. lutescens with arching leaflets. The third palm was put in this catagory by JD in POM. This palm is known as D. brevinodis, aka slickwilly, aka sps. bef. All three of these palms look very different from each other. I also collected seed of yet another palm in Madagascar of a very thin trunk onilahensis looking palm. The seeds I collected were the same size and were homogeneous. We saw several palms without seeds or flowers that could fit in either the D. baronnii complex or the D. onilahensis group. My take!    Ron