IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FOXTAIL AND FREEZES

gsytch

I noticed that with the freeze we had in early Jan, Foxtails suffered little if any damage. It should be noted there was no frost due to dry air, and some areas inland from em saw freezing or below for 10 hours, dropping to 26-27F. Two years ago it hit 30F for a few hours but there was HEAVY frost that night, and damage was significant if only on outer leaves. My foxtails are absolutely fine with 28.9F although one is sheltered. Any comments?  My poor Mango has shown damage about 35' up the tree where most of the blooms were. Luckily, it will bloom again. Greg in New Port Richey (it was 38.9F this morning in my open cold back yard)...

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 7 months later...

My foxtail has been in the ground about 2 years. It is about 15 foot tall. I only have wrapped the trunk in Christmas lights and then wrapped it with insulation. After many hours of hard North winds and two brief mornings of 27 with frost it did pretty well. In the spring on of the spears that survived the winter, suffered from a fungus and broke off when it opened. SInce then it has opened 4 more and another one is ready. The spear in the picture has already opened.

August 2008

DSCF2130.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

• 4 months later...
I noticed that with the freeze we had in early Jan, Foxtails suffered little if any damage. It should be noted there was no frost due to dry air, and some areas inland from em saw freezing or below for 10 hours, dropping to 26-27F. Two years ago it hit 30F for a few hours but there was HEAVY frost that night, and damage was significant if only on outer leaves. My foxtails are absolutely fine with 28.9F although one is sheltered. Any comments?  My poor Mango has shown damage about 35' up the tree where most of the blooms were. Luckily, it will bloom again. Greg in New Port Richey (it was 38.9F this morning in my open cold back yard)...

My foxtail palm saw 27 degrees with frost on 02/14/06 and was not hurt. I must admit I was surprised -- but very pleased. I thought for sure there would be leaf damage. On the other hand, my Archontophoenix alexandrae (and also some A. cunninghaminana) just 15 feet away got badly leaf burned. However, I knew these palms were less cold and frost hardy.

2585336150042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2171156780042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

Mine, which was fairly new, saw 26 degrees and frost. It had 75% foliage loss, but was recovering just fine. However, with our back to back hurricanes, it suffered 100% foliage loss due to wind burn, and even worse, that happened going into winter. It is not dead yet, but I do not think it will make it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The trouble with these in SoCal is they only put out about 2 fronds a year. When they get defoliated they slow down more, and it takes a year to get a new spear. I have 4 in pots that looked great in October, but are looking a dingy mustard green from experiencing mid 30s a few times. I'll plant them all, knowing 1-2 will make it and look decent.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

The trouble with these in SoCal is they only put out about 2 fronds a year. When they get defoliated they slow down more, and it takes a year to get a new spear. I have 4 in pots that looked great in October, but are looking a dingy mustard green from experiencing mid 30s a few times. I'll plant them all, knowing 1-2 will make it and look decent.

The source of your Foxtail can make a huge difference, If I say the options....many on this site will get be hurt, and a war will start!

So toughs who have an idea of what I'm speaking of ....fire away and the truth will come out. :rolleyes:

Knowledge will be passed on :hmm:

Warmest regards,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Okay, so I bought two 5 gallon foxtails at Lowes. These ones weren't stretched and were even a bit thick. At $24 each and 4ft tall, I thought they were worth trying. I think the Santa Anas did more damage than the recent cold.

I also picked up a very pretty 8 ft tall one at Evergreen Nursery. Normally $45, on sale it was $22.50. It looks great right now.

Yeah, they're probably from Florida.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

My largest foxtail palm seems to be a relatively fast grower. I have six more planted and they seem to be a little slower. However, I have them planted in too much shade; and too much shade will slow any sun loving palm down, and also stretch it some.

Also, I found, with regard to freeze and frost, foxtails differ. Case in point: the two small foxtail palms below were both exposed to mid to high 20s and frost. Both palms were totally in the open with no protection at all (but moved for this photo) and one was mostly defoliated, the other not. The damaged foxtail eventually died several months later. The one that wasn't damaged was planted (no way was I letting this one go after proving itself in a freeze) and now has about six feet of trunk, although the trunk is smaller in caliper due to having it planted in too much shade. I delibertly planted it under high tree canopy to give it umbrella protection on radiational cooling nights.

1062393915042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

• 2 weeks later...

I have two in the ground for about 5 years with little protection. both have about 5 feet CT. No problems at all after 2nd night at or below 32f on which the 2nd night had frost. still holding seed and flowers.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.