IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain?  What rain?

Wai`anae Steve

Since the big rain and floods in March it has been DRY here at the Hale on the west side of O`ahu.

Rain in Wai'anae, Elevation 300'

Way back in the valley say 1 or 2 miles and a 1000' higher there has been light rain off and on for months and the "rain forest" there looks good with a few streams still running as of last Wed.

Of course these streams dry up before reaching the ocean

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Wow Steve, those are not good numbers! But you ARE after all on the dry side of the island... August has been a little bit on the dry side here as well, but right now the sky is dark and it looks promising. Intend to update my Rainfall in Leilani Estates thread next week when I have the August numbers.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Steve, havent seen you on the board for a while, mine you I havent been on it much lately either. Spending alot of time fishing with the new boat and busy with other projects.

Any chance of getting some seeds of the Pritchardia martii when next you go on one of your expeditions?

Things must be drying up your way. Over here we have had lots of rain but unfortunately at the wrong time of the year. But so far no deaths but lots of spotting, in fact the worst in quite some years.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Driest winter ever over here. Spring is meant to be wetter and warmer than average this year. I hope that spills over into summer. We could do with a humid monsoon season, decaying cyclones etc.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(The Palm Nut @ Aug. 26 2006,00:20)

Hi Steve, havent seen you on the board for a while, mine you I havent been on it much lately either. Spending alot of time fishing with the new boat and busy with other projects.

Any chance of getting some seeds of the Pritchardia martii when next you go on one of your expeditions?

Things must be drying up your way. Over here we have had lots of rain but unfortunately at the wrong time of the year. But so far no deaths but lots of spotting, in fact the worst in quite some years.

Cheers

Mike

Aloha Mike,

Hope the fish are biting and paying for your fuel.

Yup, I'll try to remember about the seeds.  Should be some this summer.

Steve

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

(WaianaeSteve @ Aug. 25 2006,23:58)

Since the big rain and floods in March it has been DRY here at the Hale on the west side of O`ahu.

Oh my!  No measurable rainfall for almost 5 months?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I'll gladly send you some! It's been raining here nonstop for quite a few days now. The shuttle launch just got scrubbed because of too much wet weather.

(SoLando @ Aug. 26 2006,21:05)

I'll gladly send you some! It's been raining here nonstop for quite a few days now. The shuttle launch just got scrubbed because of too much wet weather.

No thanks.  This way only what I want to grow grows.  If it rained I'd have to spray roundup and or use my string t :D

Same thing here, Jen.... Nonstop for the past 3 days :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hi Bobby,

I received 9 inches of rain the week of my trip to Long Island.  The rain gauge doesn't lie.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Lots of rain at my place as well this month.

The past week has been particular gray with rainfall multiple times per day.  This has also kept the highs down as I have not recorded above 90F since 8/21/06 (91F).

I think Ive logged about 13" this month so far.  Mushrooms in the mulch beds everywhere!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hi Bobby,

I received 9 inches of rain the week of my trip to Long Island.  The rain gauge doesn't lie.

Ray

We need to send some of it to Dave's place in SoCal... lol :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

• 4 weeks later...

The forest in the valley above my place has been getting light rain for at least the past month.  BUT......................................

Not down here.  Sept is 3/4 over and I've had 0.10 of an inch.  There have been some light sprinkels but not enough to measure or go down more than 1/16 of an inch in our dry soil.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo Hoo!!!

Big rain today 0.1" of rain.   :D  :P

Hi Steve,

You sound like me.  It's been bone dry here too for the last three weeks.  I'm getting tired of dragging the hose around.  Irrigation just keeps things alive but rain makes things grow.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi Steve,

You sound like me.  It's been bone dry here too for the last three weeks.  I'm getting tired of dragging the hose around.  Irrigation just keeps things alive but rain makes things grow.

Ray

I hear ya Ray.... I've been doing the same thing for the last 4-5 days... Bone dry and up to 78f today... but we're do for a serious rain starting tomorrow night, then a blast of cold air from that lovely country to the north (Sure hope there aren't any canadians on here...lol)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Ray, Tampa @ Oct. 10 2006,09:10)

Hi Steve,

Ray

I"ve go my drip system in and it costs about $100 a month to keep things grown on average.  At least during the summer I don't have to spend much money on gas for the weed wacker and Round-up for the sprayer  :D

I don't really want rain as I've said so many time.  I have two acres and not a blade of lawn grass can be found.  lawn's take just to much water when you live in a desert or an almost desert.

I'd love some rain. While I love the fact that we didn't have any wind storms, Sept and now Oct have been very dry.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(redant @ Oct. 11 2006,09:13)

I'd love some rain. While I love the fact that we didn't have any wind storms, Sept and now Oct have been very dry.

I love rain also, lots of rain in the "watershed" to fill up the underground storage.

or walking in it w/a hot chick :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The rainy season is upon us.  Along w/October came a few inches.  November is starting off with almost 3 here in Wai`anae while on some areas of this island there were over 13" in 24 hours along w/landslides and closed highways.

Rain caused landslides.

Back here on the dry side I'm beginning to save money on water and spend it on Round Up!

Rain in Wai`anae, elevation 300'

(WaianaeSteve @ Nov. 02 2006,15:40)

The rainy season is upon us.  Along w/October came a few inches.  November is starting off with almost 3 here in Wai`anae while on some areas of this island there were over 13" in 24 hours along w/landslides and closed highways.

Rain caused landslides.

Back here on the dry side I'm beginning to save money on water and spend it on Round Up!

Rain in Wai`anae, elevation 300'

WaianaeSteve

Understand that moisture is currently quite abundant over the Islands.  The tropical pipeline is aimed right at the PacificNW & possible flooding up there.

Still quite dry in SoCal but each storm system seems to trend further south into California.

Is November normally wet in Hawaii?  Rain season is a bit marginal in the Southwest until later in winter.  El Nino may make this a very stormy winter.   :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

November is statistically the wettest month in Hawaii. Over the last nine years we've had on average 15.9 inches during the month of Nov. Average per month for ALL months (incl. Nov) during that same nine year period (1997-2005) was 13.9.

Needless to say, there are major differences between different areas, but I believe it's safe to say that Nov is the wettest month for the entire state.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Nov. 04 2006,20:36)

Happ,

November is statistically the wettest month in Hawaii. Over the last nine years we've had on average 15.9 inches during the month of Nov. Average per month for ALL months (incl. Nov) during that same nine year period (1997-2005) was 13.9.

Needless to say, there are major differences between different areas, but I believe it's safe to say that Nov is the wettest month for the entire state.

Bo-Göran

Bo-Göran

Interesting.  Wonder what dynamic occurs in early autumn to generate high November rainfall in Hawaii?   ???

The wettest months are February & March in SoCal.  The rain season is about 4 [sometimes 5] months long followed by a long dry season.   :(

LA : 79/59    

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

I know. I lived there for 10 years! That's why I'm here now.. :D

March is the second wettest month here, and we do, on average, get more rain during the winter months. May and June are "normally" the driest months, but you never know... A few years ago, we had a June that was the second wettest of that year!

Bo-Göran

(bgl @ Nov. 04 2006,20:36)

Happ,

Bo-Göran

Happ,

I believe in the winter the jet stream drops farther south which brings more of it's moist air to Hawaii.  From my 3 years of records Jan & Feb seem to be the wettest with aboub 21 inches average.

But from my Chart you can see it varies quite a bit.

Remember I'm on the "dry" side of two mountain ranges that suck the water out of the North East Trade winds.  We get heavy rain here when it comes in from the west.

Cosgrove suggests some interesting developments including the Kona low influence in the N Pacific .  This will usher in mild Pacific air and nicely warm the nation coast to coast.  Unfortunately it will only last a week.  Medium-range looks scary :   :(

In short, I suspect that the middle and latter portions of this month could be quite wintry in appearance over the lower 48 states.

Pineapple Express component ejecting out of a Kona Low . . .  PNA-styled ridging or while the latter introduction of energy into the U.K. may promote another surge of blocking near Iceland and Greenland. In short, I suspect that the middle and latter portions of this month could be quite wintry in appearance over the lower 48 states.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Bo-Göran, I'm surprised Hawaii has any moisture left after sending the Pineapple Express to the Pacific Northwest for the last several days.  

I'm writing from my ark where I've had over 9 inches of rain in Kirkland in 4-5 days.  November is our wettest month with a normal monthly average total of 5 inches of rain.

No damage here, although the Musa basjoos are pathetic (thawed lettuce) after a couple of nights of 28'F before the rains came.

post-3-1163001213_thumb.jpg

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane,

Wow, that's a pretty dramatic photo! And yes, we still have plenty of moisture here... :)

Bo-Göran

This is the first decent rain we've had in over 2 weeks.... It's raining hard as a mother, but it'll be done by tonight..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Interesting rainfall averages for different areas.  Even in Hawaii it can be very different depending on many factors.  For most of the Kona coast, especially upslope (mauka) we normally have a Summer maximum rainfall pattern - the only part of Hawaii where this occurs.  Afternoon and early evening showers (even short downpours) can happen almost each day during those months.  Typically July is our rainiest month, next is September.  Our Winters are drier and we have more all day sun and rainfall is quite variable.  Some winters can bring low pressure storms with periods of heavy rain and if they stall over the area can cause problems.  More likely we only get a few quick winter storms that pass thru bringing some good rainfall.  However, there have been some winters with very little rain and lots of warm sunny days (tourists love that) making irrigation a necessary task to keep plants from suffering.  When it comes to describing Hawaii weather or rainfall patterns just remember it can be very different from one area to another or from one island to another.  Kauai averages  many more winter storms than we do farther south and east on Hawaii Island.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Yes, Al

& thanks for your contribution   :D

Hilo is moist/tropical paradise   :P

Is Kona leeward? Drier?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23