IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in Bermuda

Palm Guy

Do, please, post more pictures of the protected areas, and heaven forbid the "funky" parts of town.

24 square miles?  You guys aren't metric yet?  Good.  Me neither.

Gadzooks, that's really gemutlichkeit, as the Germans would say.

Intimate, (crowded?)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Michael

Thanks for the mini-tour of Bermuda  :P  would love more photos

Your climate has temps similar to coastal California except minimums  :laugh: critical for growth

Hope my palms look as good some day

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks for those nice shots.I would never have thought about Howeas growing there.I guess since temps don't get so hot there,they do fine.Here in Puerto Rico,we'd have to coax them gently through in the dshade,and then they're even slower than there normally slow growth rate.I'd rather see pictures like this any day,than thumb through some travel guide.

Chuck Bailey

Thanks for the great photo tour Michael!  Burmuda has always been one of those "mysterious" place to me, and now its a bit less so!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Palm Guy @ Jan. 27 2008,20:11)

Thanks for the warning mate!!! I was going to dress in black and sneak out there every weekend! You saved me years of frustration.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy person who thinks up devious schemes to get palm seed. :) I'm in my element on this forum with similar minded palm lovers, who understand.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Palm Guy @ Jan. 27 2008,15:07)

I tried to get a better pic of the crown...i have a feeling it my be a Syagrus...not too sure if its naturally clumping or intentially planted as triple...

IMG_0876.jpg

My foot for reference...

IMG_0878.jpg

I have some seeds which are bean shaped. I'll take some pics of them later...

Pretty sure this is Gaussia maya.

Best, TOBY

H, Mike:  Thank you very much.  We can understand the lack of interest there in the only native palm - you certainly can grow a wonderful palm flora there.  

QUOTE:  They don't get very large in height but are generally more robust in comparison to other sabals. They have a nice bluish green to silvery green color. I would say they can get to about 30ft but very slowly. I know of some big individuals on the island and I'll take some pics for ya. Their definitely not the local favorite palm but they can look good if properly cared for.

Cheers,

Mike F

THANKS, MIKE!

Best Wishes, merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

So I took my camera to work with me...this is getting bad. I just wanted to post some of the Dictyosperma near my job and some relatively large Sabal Bermudana. I only had about twenty minutes b4 sunset so I had to rush. Here goes...

Some large boys...I'd say close to 30 ft.

IMG_0947.jpg

Shot of the crownshaft...

IMG_0949.jpg

Some of the larger Bermuda Palmetto in town. I was actually in my car going around a round-a-bout (Traffic Circle) when I took this pic...not recommended...

IMG_0952.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Pretty sure this is Gaussia maya.

Best, TOBY

Toby, I concur. I would've never thought these were on the island. First time I noticed. Thanks!

Michael Ferreira

These are the seeds from the Gaussia Maya...they kinda look like beans...Toby you probably have seen these often... do they look like Gaussia Maya seeds?

IMG_0938.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Dave,

To my knowledge we have only two types of Archontophoenix on the island. I'm following a Bermuda garderner's guide book and according to the book they are  A. Alexandrae and A. cunninghamiana. I would agree with you that it does look more like yellowish A. purpurea than either of them... but I have never seen purpurea here b4. hmmm... it also doesn't have a silver tinge to the bottom of the leaflets. I'm beginning to wonder if its something other than Archontophoenix?

IMG_0879.jpg

Michael Ferreira

(Palm Guy @ Jan. 27 2008,15:02)

Anybody know what this is??? I think its a rather common Chamaedorea but don't know which one...

IMG_0872.jpg

This is a tripple planted Guasia Maya

Great photos

Thanks  Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Woops wrong photo and quote. The one with the thatch and pigmy palm is the one I ment to comment on

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Michael,

Thanks for the beautiful photos of your island. Everything looks so neat and orderly. I have a few questions. I had heard that Mayor Bloomberg had a place in Bermuda. I'm wondering if there are any large estates with grounds in Bermuda? Also, surely there must be some plant nurserys. Does anyone feature palms, and are any plants from the mainland (USA) allowed to be shipped to the island? Or from Europe?

Since you have cool, but not cold winters, I would imagine all of the Loard Howe palms would grow in Bermuda, as well as Kentiopsis and some of the other New Caledonia palms. Also, if you could get your hands on one, Jubaeopsis should grow well there. Most of the Chamaedoreas should grow well for you, as many of the new palms from Madagascar.

Thanks again for showing us Bermuda. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Dear Mike:

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed your wonderful, palmy essay of Bermuda!   :D

What a bastion of civility in an incomparable mid-Atlantic setting!  Truly a blessed by nature botanical wonderland!  Again, many thanks to you, Michael! :)

Pablo :cool:

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Great pictures Michael! Please post more of the surrounding area and the more natural n' wild sections of Bermuda!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks for the beautiful photos of your island. Everything looks so neat and orderly. I have a few questions. I had heard that Mayor Bloomberg had a place in Bermuda. I'm wondering if there are any large estates with grounds in Bermuda? Also, surely there must be some plant nurserys. Does anyone feature palms, and are any plants from the mainland (USA) allowed to be shipped to the island? Or from Europe?

Richard,

Mayor Bloomberg has a house in Tucker's Town, a very ritzy part of Bermuda with many large estates. Many other famous people live in that area and interestingly, Michael Douglas opted not to live there. Douglas is actually a Bermudian living in a rather modest location (though I haven't seen his house which I assume is large). He comes from the Dill family which owns a hotel here in Bermuda. Very funny down to earth man. He loves the fact that he can walk around and live a relatively normal life here without all the paparazzi after him. Most Bermudians just leave him be. Ross Perot also lives in Bermuda, he actually has a post office named after him.

Now on to Palms. Yep there are three major nurseries on the island and a few smaller ones. Two of them really focus on selling palms, gingers, bananas, and heliconias. Very tropicalscape oriented. Although, I wish that they would bring in more variety of palms, as they tend to focus on species that hold up in windy, saline, and alkaline soil conditions that we have in Bermuda. Those would be the cocos, pritchardia thurstonii, bottle, spindles, hurricane, solitaire, christmas palms, phoenix species and sabal bermudanas.

Unfortunately, our customs office is very strict and there is a very hefty (33%) import duty on plants in general. Once I tried to order a dwarf citrus variety from Florida and they wouldn;t let me. We cannot bring in anything from Florida as many of the diseases that exist there could affect Bermuda's citrus and palm species. They especially made note of the pink mealy bug in Florida that they are trying to avoid. Also LY is on their minds too. So the probability that you can import anything other than seed is slim to none.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

Mike,

Thanks for the pictures of Bermuda.  I always wondered what it was like there.  I look forward to seeing more.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply and information. You mentioned that only about 60 species of palms are found on the island. If only seeds can come in, I would expect the nurserys would be clamering to bring in new species, since there are many palms that would thrive in your soil, climate, etc.

I asked about large estates, because usually in such a nice climate, where so many things can be grown, money + space usually means palms and exotic plants. From what I read on a thread on Palmtalk, it seems the rich and famous in S. Calif. grow a lot of exotic Cycads and they seem to be the rage in S. Calif. Since you live on a rather affluent island, I would expect there would be a demand for such plants. Sometimes nursery people need to be prodded to try something new instead of the tried and true.

Thanks again for your tour of the island and we hope to see more.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Thanks for the nice pics, didn't know rain water was the only source of water.

I especially like your native palm. I hear it's slow, but doesn't mind cool weather, maybe a good Sabal for N coastal California?

Thanks for the tour Michael.  I have a cousin getting married to a local  and I'm trying to get there for the wedding in June-nice to get a preview!

San Fernando Valley, California

Que lindas palmeiras, Mike !

I was also surprised by the Gaussia maya triple look. I've only seen mature palms like those in pictures but the sight of their small upright crowns and the inflorescences along different levels is very distinctive, no doubt.

I've often flown near and above Bermuda but never stopped there for a visit. Most flights from NE Brazil to Northern USA are direct now. In the past, Boeing 707 jets from Rio to New York would sometimes have a scale in either San Juan or Barbados, sometimes away from the direct route.

The gardens in your pictures have a fine landscape and the palms look well cared for. Keep the pictures coming please...

I guess we have so much in common in terms of weather, with lots of saline exposure and constant breeze...I'm looking forward to see more palm photos of Bermuda, especially from near the beaches and neighborhoods. Thanks.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the tour Michael.  I have a cousin getting married to a local  and I'm trying to get there for the wedding in June-nice to get a preview!

Hi Peter, thats cool man. You should check me out if your coming down, I'll give you a tour of the island.

Kyle, I believe that Sabal Bermudana should do fine in Northern California.

Gileno, thanks for the compliments. Salt and wind are definitely something we both have to consider. I'd like to know how your Bentinckia's are holding up.

And now, for some more photos of our Botanical Gardens. Found some palms that aren't regularly seen on the island and some more tall Sabal Bermudana for you all.

IMG_1005.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Don't have many Veitchia on the Island, in fact I think this is the first specimen I've seen. Anybody know which one it is?

IMG_1006.jpg

the fruit...

IMG_1060.jpg

Michael Ferreira

What's this guy?

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Dypsis Lutescens...very very common around here

IMG_1008.jpg

Blue Latan in flower?? Never seen this one before...I havent been to the botanical gardens in years..

IMG_1009.jpg

Shot of the Palm section...They better make room for the Tahina I plan on donating to them.

IMG_1010.jpg

Michael Ferreira

IMG_1011.jpg

Butia Capitata??

IMG_1012.jpg

another shot...

IMG_1052.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Prichtardia thurstonii...quite common here

IMG_1013.jpg

overcast day...72 F

IMG_1014.jpg

Another Latan palm I don't see often...Red Latan??

IMG_1016.jpg

Michael Ferreira

IMG_1050.jpg

My girlfriend came down for the week so expect lots of palm photos. Thats her under a Yellow Latan.

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Michael Ferreira

IMG_1021.jpg

Michael Ferreira

A tall cocothrinax argentea

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

Small Kentia

IMG_1017.jpg

Michael Ferreira

anybody know what that suckering palm is next to the fishtail palm?

IMG_1018.jpg

A shot of the area with a Gaussia Maya in the center...

IMG_1025.jpg

Something for Kris...the CIDP of course...not my girlfriend...

IMG_1026.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Large Ficus we found in an unkempt area of the gardens, bamboo in the back ground and sabals and chinese fan palms growing wild...

IMG_1032.jpg

Sabal Bermudana

IMG_1033.jpg

I dont think this guy was intentially planted here...

IMG_1034.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Lots of open area

IMG_1035.jpg

That's me getting some palm lovin... Tall Sabal Bermudana

IMG_1037.jpg

Here is the G Rated version...

IMG_1038.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Nice hurricane/princess palm...

IMG_1041.jpg

Some of our wild Roosters on a traditional Bermuda stone wall...

IMG_1042.jpg

Formal area with Palms in the mix...still under construction...

IMG_1044.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Phoenix hybrid I believe...

IMG_1045.jpg

various...

IMG_1046.jpg

Queen

IMG_1047.jpg

Queen Seeds

IMG_1048.jpg

Michael Ferreira

great photos! i had no idea how similar Sabal bermudana looked compared to Sabal palmetto. I have only seen smaller Sabal bermudana before. Do you ever get island fever living out there in the middle of the ocean??

I'm always up for learning new things!

Gaussia Maya

IMG_1051.jpg

My girlfriend trying to pull me away from the palm section...

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Able to fire away a few more b4 leaving...

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

Michael Ferreira