IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

No way a 1 loss Florida or LSU team goes in ahead of USC, given they all win out the remaining games on each of their schedules. The LSU loss came as a 6.5pt underdog against a ranked FL team; the USC loss came when they were a 25pt favorite to an unranked team.

Oh course this also means LSU must put away Georgia and Alabama.

No way a 1 loss Florida or LSU team goes in ahead of USC, given they all win out the remaining games on each of their schedules. The LSU loss came as a 6.5pt underdog against a ranked FL team; the USC loss came when they were a 25pt favorite to an unranked team.

Oh course this also means LSU must put away Georgia and Alabama.

I hope you're missing a comma.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

You're right Tank, we would have to beat you guys in the Championship. My guess at the start was FL or LSU. Although, with the way LSU came out, I want to take it one game at a time, starting with S. Carolina this weekend. I hated Spurrier when he was at FL, but I've really grown to respect him. I wish he would have come to LSU, I hear it wasn't far off from happening. I'm talking about a long time ago though, not this most recent thing with Miles. I am very glad to Miles stay at LSU.

Michael,

What are your predictions for LSU this week? I think it will be a telling week. I think if they are truly great, they will rebound on SC like a hurricane, the same way FL did on us. If not, well????

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

One will. :greenthumb::)

Go Missouri! Go Kansas! It would be awesome if at least one of them could pull off a win tomorrow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Keith, my real concern lies with our DB's rather than the freshman QB's. Obviously the SC offense is not as prolific as FL, but it is still a concern when you've got Spurrier behind the wheel.

I actually had a chance to go see Russel Shepard play last night here in Houston. He is on the Cy-Ridge high school team and is the #1 player in the state of TX, and #3 overall in the nation. He has committed to LSU for the QB position. He had an incredible game, 11/11 in passing for 175 yds and 2 TD passes. He rushed 13 times for 121 yards and two more TD's. Les Miles and Gary Crowton were both at the game. It was ESPNU. He chose LSU b/c he felt he could come in and have a shot at making an immediate impact, I wouldn't disagree.

It has been a LONG time since I've been to a HS game. I couldnt imagine being a freshman QB at a college coming out of a high school crowd and going into some place like Tiger Stadium or the Swamp with 90K+ people yelling their ass off at you. Put a few things back into perspective as I look into our current QB lineup.

Was it me or was it a lame week for CF? Didn't have any drama.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Its "You're".

Your just bitter cause none of the top teams lost for SC.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Any predictions on the NC game.

I'm going with Penn State vs 1 or 0 loss SEC champ (for now).

Texas may trump Penn State, just because they should win the big 12 championship if they get there with no losses, although they will have a harder time going undefeated, hence my Penn State pick.

Also, if Penn State loses, the Big 10 will not get to the NC.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Keith, my real concern lies with our DB's rather than the freshman QB's. Obviously the SC offense is not as prolific as FL, but it is still a concern when you've got Spurrier behind the wheel.

I actually had a chance to go see Russel Shepard play last night here in Houston. He is on the Cy-Ridge high school team and is the #1 player in the state of TX, and #3 overall in the nation. He has committed to LSU for the QB position. He had an incredible game, 11/11 in passing for 175 yds and 2 TD passes. He rushed 13 times for 121 yards and two more TD's. Les Miles and Gary Crowton were both at the game. It was ESPNU. He chose LSU b/c he felt he could come in and have a shot at making an immediate impact, I wouldn't disagree.

It has been a LONG time since I've been to a HS game. I couldnt imagine being a freshman QB at a college coming out of a high school crowd and going into some place like Tiger Stadium or the Swamp with 90K+ people yelling their ass off at you. Put a few things back into perspective as I look into our current QB lineup.

Well, I don't feel a whole lot better about LSU right now. That defensive backfield is WEAK. And the offense is in no position to outscore an opponent.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It is hard in my mind to justify Penn.State playing for the NC if they have a perfect season,given the level of competition.That is basically guaranteed if they beat Ohio State this weekend.I do think they are a good team but they have looked quite ragged at times.

USC has looked quite good except for that one unfortunate mis-step.Their strength of schedule hurts them the worst but they are a very tough team even with a bonehead loss.

If Texas runs the table,they are in without question.The major upgrade in the Texas team is attributable to their Defensive Coordinator,Larry Muschamp.As Colt McCoy said,he can relax because he knows the Defense has his back.If Texas looses,who knows?

Alabama took a major hit when they lost that 6'5 375lbs Defensive Nose Guard from Ft.Myers.He was killing Offensive lines and Ole Miss almost came back to win after his injury.The people in Alabama are delusional.Let's see LSU beat the crap out of Alabama and the Leghumpers!

In the SEC East,it looks like a show down in Jacksonville between the Gators and the Leghumpers for the East.Only if Florida plays the way they did agaist LSU.If Florida reverts to Mullen attempting to turn Tebow into a deer in the headlights,Katy bar the door.Who will show up?Kentucky may give us a run for our money not to mention South Carolina and Vandy.FSU is 5-1 and Tally has never been kind to the Gators.

NC prediction=Texas v SEC Champ.

What you look for is what is looking

If 3 undefeated teams the NC will be:

Alabama vs Texas (or another big 12 undefeated (not counting Tulsa or Utah, etc, which have no hope)) with Penn State left out and the BCS under fire (like it matters).

If Alabama or all of the currently undefeated Big 12 have one loss and Penn State goes undefeated, there is no way they will get left out.

I don't necessarily agree with it, I just think that's what will happen.

For UF's sake, I hope this isn't the season to challenge the BCS.

Bubba,

Are you heading up for the Kentucky game?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

It's Rose Bowl HERE WE COME AGAIN.

Here's to the Rose Bowl breaking tradition this year. How about a Big 12 or, nearly impossible, an SEC team. If Penn State makes it to the NC, would USC end up playing OSU again?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Texas and OK have it made in the shade. Both are in perfect position. If both win the rest, they will play for the Big 12 championship and the winner goes NC. So who is left? No way Penn State goes unless they are unbeaten. AL same.

That leaves USC and FL in the mix. Right now we are way ahead of FL, but with the strength of schedule, FL will slowly pass up USC. We need Notre Dame and AZ to get ranked.

If Big 12 and Penn St play for NC, I really hope the Rose Bowl breaks tradition and brings FL or a one lose SEC team in. It would suck to have to play Ohio St. That would make three times in one year if you count next Sept match up.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len it's loss not lose. Here's a question to you guys based on how the BCS rankings come out how many teams can take a loss and still get there? Penn St no way. Texas yes. Based on those rankings SC still has a shot if they keep moving up in the polls.

San Marcos CA

The early BCS polls are meaningless.PSU beat #22(Wis) and will play #9(OsU)this week.That is it for them.USC beat #9(OsU)and #23(?).They play no more ranked teams and that is not good for that computer jazz.

Parenthetically,whoever wins the SEC Championship will have played a number of ranked teams.The SEC Champion will be in the NC barring Texas and PSU undefeated.USC will be unfairly screwed by their weak schedule as will the SEC Champion if they are undefeated.(Delusional Alabama)

The best game would be Florida/USC at the Rose Bowl if we both run the table and do not end up in the NC.I think it's chissled in Woody Hayes Tombstone that Big 10 gets the Rose Bowl.If we run the table,we probably play Oklahoma in the Sugar.God forbid if USC has to play OsU again.They will beat the tar out of OsU but it will be like kissing your sister.

Talk about getting the cart in front of the horse!We may be very lucky to beat Kentucky this weekend.Jason,I am playing in a golf tournament early so I can get back and watch what I hope is not the nightmare on Elm Street!

My early thought was FL and USC. Thus FL obviously being the SEC champs. I wasn't expecting USC to drop such a game so now I could not see them in; despite being a really tough team.

So my final guess would be Texas and Florida. I would love to see this matchup, but it is early in the SEC run. AL, LSU, and FL all still have chances in my opinion.

I'm trying not to think too far ahead because we have a huge game at home with Georgia. I'm sickened it's at 2:30pm, but oh well it will be Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's. We're heading out Friday afternoon and should get into BR around 5pm.

I took Monday off so I could help my father develop some more landscape which was vastly taken out in Gustav. Cool thing is I'm renting a mini-excavator and looking forward to tearing $h+ up. :D

I personally am not a fan of the Big 12. I just don't have fear of them if you play good defense. The spread is great. But good, fast defenses can stop the spread. But bad defenses can not stop good offenses. And SEC teams and USC have that. I think this will end up being like the year OSU and Michigan were in the game of the decade. OSU won. Then at the end of the year people wanted a rematch for the NC game. Remember that crap? What happened? OSU and Michigan got beat up in their bowl games showing the Big 10 overrated. I believe the Big 12 to be the same.

We still have a lot of football left. Texas and AL will find out it is not easy being on top. EVERYONE guns for you.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Penn State vs OSU is this weekend.

Com'on Buckeyes, just keep it close. I would love to see the Big 10 out of the picture.

Come to think of it, the worst thing possible for the BCS would be to somehow manage to get OSU into this years NC game, and then have them get torched again.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Don't look now, but Virginia has quietly gone 4-2 since losing to USC. Beating some good teams along the way. There are a couple teams left on USC's schedule that could end up ranked by the end of the year.

Gotta agree with Len - not buying the Big 12 hype. Texas and Ok got fat off cupcakes to start the season - I don't think they have the defense to stop or even slow down a FL, USC or even tOSU. Let's see what happens when thy play Okie State and Texas Tech. OK has no business being ranked ahead of USC.

USC might not even with the Pac-10 this year unless OSU loses a game. Imagine OSU running the table and Tex, OK and PSU losing a game. USC would probably be in the top 3 without winning the conference. Now what? Out of the BCS championship game, out of the Rosebowl...

Go Buckeyes !

Laguna Niguel, CA

I did not even think of that Jenks, their only loss is to Stanford and the rest are out of conference. What's the rest of their schedule look like? I would almost look at that as a good thing for you and Len maybe they would'nt be tied into the Rose Bowl would they? Slow down on Virginia they are going to lose to GTech this week and they lost to Duke by 30 for god's sake.

San Marcos CA

Jenks, that was a funny site. My family and I saw that during the game and were like WTF!? Did the ref just hit that guy for us? I'm glad I had DVR b/c we all laughed hysterically watching it in slow mo. I will say that it was probably easier to laugh at than when it happens to your team. We looked back and they had about 3 LSU guys right on him so maybe he would have gotten another yard or so. Doesn't look good anyway.

This weekend is coming fast and I'm already unglued from my chair about having Georgia come into our house. It only happens every four years, so it would mean a lot to win or loss.

I agree with some of you posters, college football is very dear to many of us can be a heartbreaker for sure. I'm trying to figure out what my expectations of the LSU team is every year. It's inevitable you'll have ups and downs, but what are your expectations oh how far or well played your team is year after year? I am always pleased if we just make it to the SEC championship, or come up runner up to going there. Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

SEC Officials are some of the craziest human beings on Earth.No game is appropriately officiated unless there are atleast 20 penalties per game.The crews look like fascist Brown shirts.One Head official(something like Wagers)is always hawking for face time and seems to have a sordid grin everytime he makes a call.The Official who knocked down Garcia has done weird stuff like that for years.The days of the Ole Ball Coach at Florida(Spurrier)were entertaining because he lit into them with demonic ferocity of such high order that no one cared to test the edges or the depths.At that time,a 10 yard penalty did not mean much because he got it back on the next play.

One of the craziest things pertaining to Officials I ever witnessed took place at Tiger Stadium in a Florida game at LSU in the 90's.It rained as hard as I have ever seen in a football game.Florida won but there were some questionable calls in our favor.After the game,we were heading back to the car and noticed a very large number of LSU fans lying in wait next to a White Van parked next to a small opening.Sure enough the Officiating crew came out in plain clothes and the fans rained Old Rebel bottles at those Officials and that Van together with expletives that would have made John Wayne cringe.Those SEC officials were running for there lives and I developed a strong sense of compatio with LSU fans ever since.

2003 "Swindle in the Swamp"

Florida vs Florida State was the worst officiating I've ever witnessed.

ACC officiating crew.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

What is the feel out in Tiger Land regarding your matchup this weekend with the leghumpers?

Got a buddy who works for LVSC and he told me they have lines right now if these were to be played at a neutral site.

USC -3 Texas

USC -4 Fla

USC -5.5 Penn St

Shows you what Vegas thinks of SC.

San Marcos CA

What is the feel out in Tiger Land regarding your matchup this weekend with the leghumpers?

Would not bet a bent nickel either way. I think LSU is a team that could beat or lose to any Top 20 team out there on any given weekend.

Shon, that says a lot. Vegas is usually right. Well except for Stanford and OSU game. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Keith, Georgia has a mounting injury problem.Hope you guys take advantage.

One thing I believe everyone on this Board can say for this weekend-Go Ohio State!

I'm heading out of work here in the next hour. Got the truck packed up and heading to Baton Rouge, with trailer in tow full of palms. Going to be a good weekend! Should be a great day for the game tomorrow, have fun with Kentucky Bubba.

This LSU defense has to show up if we want a chance to win

Keith, Georgia has a mounting injury problem.Hope you guys take advantage.

One thing I believe everyone on this Board can say for this weekend-Go Ohio State!

Seems like UF would want Georgia to win.

In the same vein, we would want Alabama to go undefeated into the SEC champ game (assuming that UF makes it to Atlanta).

Also, Texas needs to lose and

Oh god - go ohio state (i hope that I don't have to utter that again).

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I think us FL, LSU and USC fans can all agree the best option is to lose no more and have TX not lose a game. This is because a one lose Big12 will get the nod over all our teams anyway. So if they go to the Big12 Championship, and Play OK again, lets hope they win again. Knocking OK out of our way. I can't see AL and PSU not losing one.

The real fun would be debating whether a 1 loss FL, LSU or USC team is better served to play in the NC game. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jenks owe you an apology. For Virginia to go into GT and win after being down 14-3 very impressive. Looks like another typical Al Groh coaching job win late in season. Which begs the question what the hell were they doing in the begining?

San Marcos CA

I didn't think Georgia would win in Death Valley.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

PSU beat OSU.Texas looks unlikely to loose.Alabama was unimpressive but did beat Tenn.Georgia did look good against LSU and I was suprised to see that result.For Florida,it looks like the season comes down to the"cocktail party"this upcoming weekend.I think Georgia or Florida will beat Alabama in the SEC Championship.Looks like a questionable PSU v Texas match in BCS barring unforseeable events.And then the arguing starts....