IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Moody is a baby. he left because he felt he should not have to compete after he came back from injury. You guys will see what we did, he has no top end speed. I take McKnight any day over Moody. Sorry LSU fans - that one had to hurt! :)

And Bubba, we have to 'swing in on a vine'. No one will pay us. GA turned down the chance, instead took ASU.

Ya know, I don't know about that, LSU is stacked at running back and Joe McKnight (48th in rushing :) ) hasn't proved squat. Especially tonight!

I'll take Charles Scott running the ball anyday.

No excuses. That was the worse game I have ever seen of a #1 team play. Penalties, turnovers, crappy D, the list goes on... Just goes to show you that in college football, anything can happen.

For us all that is left is to hope we win the rest and OU and MO lose one or two. I do not want to play in the damn Rose bowl again against OSU!! I want an SEC team!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, I guess they over prepared for a 25 point underdog!

Glad I was able to cash in on this one, home team dogs usually pay! Thank you Beavs!

Too bad so sad

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Things sure sound like they've quited down on the west coast? :winkie:

The look on Pete Carroll's face at the end of the game was priceless. It's a shame they can drop a game like that to an unranked team, but then again it isn't that uncommon given Stanford last year.

Yeah Bubba, I think the run through the SEC gauntlet would give a new look to USC. If they've been claimed they would dominate the SEC, what does that mean Oregon St would do?

I wonder how ESPN will spin this one to keep USC on top the charts??

Michael,I watched the first half and could not believe it.USC looked slow,ill prepared and almost stupid.If you can't tackle 5'6 185lbs backs,we have three,including one who is the fastest player in College.(just nudged Holiday)It looks to me that they had been quarantined a little too long reveling in their own flatulence.Penn State beat the Beavers by what score?

All that stated,I do feel bad for our friends Jenks and Len,who I hope do not disappear forever.It does show you that in College football anything can happen and it usually does!I am sure they will not be the only team to take it unsuspectadily in the shorts.

I still maintain the SEC Gauntlet is what separates the Men from the boys.We may take it in the shorts but I would rather have tough competition week in and out.That is where the passion emanates.

What you look for is what is looking

Unbelievable. OSU played as good as they could possibly play. SC looked like crap. Hate to say it but I think Reily and his guys outcoached our guys. I have said it before in this thread - Stafon is out best back. Dude is averaging 7 yards a carry last night and he gets 7 carries. Running a direct snap to McNight on 3 and 7, fumble.

Yes anything can happen. The PAC might be down this year but it has always been hard to run the table - always. A mini gauntlet, if you will. :)

Bubba - we aren't going anywhere. Lots of games to be played still. We will see how it shakes out. Like Len, I just hope we don't end up in the Rose Bowl against another Big 10 team

Laguna Niguel, CA

It obviously is if you take the time to look at without your SEC glasses. SC has no problem winning OOC. Haven't lost in years.

I am not making excuses. SC has to win these games. This is the only problem I have with the Pete Carrol era - it's like we have an upset, Pac10 loss written into our schedule. Still wouldn't trade him for any other coach - but I think he needs to take a hard look at the staff and Sarkissian needs to get his ass up in the booth for the rest of the year so he can see what the hell is going on.

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Ummm... apparently it is or did you not watch the game. The SEC is full of should've, would've and could've guys. Who the hell cares until we play heads-up. Which we are still 4 - 0. Opps. But let me guess. There will be a "Would've" or maybe a "Could've" with that record.

SEC football only knows SEC football. They see nothing past it. That is why they have losing records against the ACC and Big 12 and recently the Pac 10. USC plays 12 Div I schools. SEC teams get 2 - 4 Div II schools. NO chance of upset. The Pac 10 teams all play each other every year. SEC gets a few here and a few there. Bloated from Div II wins and wins against basement SEC teams, they come in to the SEC championship game with 2 loses. LSU gets 8 home games? Sounds good to me. Sorry, but the best teams each year are not from the SEC like you guys think. The only way this will ever be settled is with a Playoff. Other then your two wins against OSU, look how your other darlings faired in the Bowls. Need I place them here??

Pete Carroll quote of the year - "the Pac-10 is ridiculously hard"

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jenks, I agree, we were out coached. No one outside the west coast really knows how good Mike Reily is as a coach. His game plan destroyed us. We helped with stupid penalties, turnovers, bad play calls, and no tackling. But I think the worst part was how we came in with the right of entitlement. So much talent not doing their job. It is about individual matchups. You MUST win yours. I saw almost every matchup go OSU's way. That was embarrassing. I hate to say it but ever since Norm let, or OC's just do not seem to have it. If we roll early and demoralize teams, no need to see our skill set. But every time it is a close game I feel like the play calling is bad. Some of which I was just amazed with. Yes, I am armchair quarterbacking, but I saw out patterns on 3 and long that cut two yards early. What the hell? I saw too many pass plays called that required too much time. I saw our punt return team put us in the hole three times. Catch the damn ball! Do not let it bounce 20 yards! Got to hand it to OSU, they played great and deserved that game. We have no business being ranked #1. But I am not giving up hope. It is a long season and a lot can and will happen. Maybe this will slap the arrogance off our players face. I have said it tons of times over the last few years. We just can't get up for all the games. Pete tried to warn his team this week. No one would listen.

The worst part is it now gives the SEC yahoos more ammo. More bark in their Chihuahua yap. :mrlooney:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,We may yap like Chihuahua's but watch out for our bite.Symbolically,I am afraid you are the flip side of that sylogism.By the way,the Gators record with USC is 1 win,1 tie(attributable to a very favorable call in LaLa land) and 0 losses.

Parenthetically,we have three 5'6/185lbs backs that can run rings around Rogers.Or is he your next Heisman Candidate.(easy is greazy)

Len,We may yap like Chihuahua's but watch out for our bite.Symbolically,I am afraid you are the flip side of that sylogism.By the way,the Gators record with USC is 1 win,1 tie(attributable to a very favorable call in LaLa land) and 0 losses.

I hear Bruce singing...."Glory Days". Well here is a stat for your glory days stat: USC's all time record against the SEC is 17-10-1.

Parenthetically,we have three 5'6/185lbs backs that can run rings around Rogers.Or is he your next Heisman Candidate.(easy is greazy)

Back to my earlier comment. SEC fans full of "Would've, Could've and Should'ves". Another example. I think my dad could beat up yours kind of guys. LOL.

Long season Bubba..... rememebr that. The way we played we might not win the Pac 10. That woudl mean we can get another SEC matchup for a bowl game instead of a Big 10 one.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,What did you say Florida's record is against USC?Let's get Mr. Springstein to weigh in on this matter! He would be neutral coming from Rutgers.

I agree that we all will take it in the shorts before it is over this year.That I have learned many times before.

I can't comment on taking it in the shorts. Sometimes you just need to trust people.

Hey, next time I am in FL I will give Ken a buzz. Maybe we can all get together and discuss football live. Maybe have a few beers and good times or just have a fist fights. You decide. :)

Len,What did you say Florida's record is against USC?Let's get Mr. Springstein to weigh in on this matter! He would be neutral coming from Rutgers.

I agree that we all will take it in the shorts before it is over this year.That I have learned many times before.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Outcoached a little. I have never seen a PC coached team get dominated on the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball. Jenks has great point also. Almost to much of a good thing with the amount running backs. No one can establish any rhythm. It does'nt really show itself until your behind which does'nt happen for you guys very often. CJ Gable is a banger which you could have used with only 3 carries? Like everyone keeps saying long season and as we have seen it is better to lose early than late.

San Marcos CA

Good because in prison I learned to defend the head to butt surprise attack. I think it is the same thing???

I will disclose up front that my favorite technique is the suprise headbut.

Shon, depression is almost over for me. Time to move on. When USC won the NC with 1 loss before they had a good strength of schedule. This time they got only one top ranked team. Lets hope they make it out with only this one loss. I really want an SEC vs USC game. Preferably in Miami for that bowl game. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Small change got rained on by his own 38.Mullen should be fired for turning our Heisman into a tenative basketcase. College football proves to be a very frustrating interest.Still a Gator to the end but my Palm interest just skyrocketed.

Hello.... echo echo echo.. Hello....

Hard to talk trash when you get beat at home by a big underdog. Love CF. So much of the unexpected. Fourth-and-1 and heisman winner Tim Tebow can't get 1 yard!!?

I feel for you Bubba. My Palm interest just skyrocketed too but the difference is we have winter and the garden gets ugly. :(

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

No offense to any UF alums out there, but my wife insists that you give her

alma mater, Ole Miss, "dey props".

Bubba. Have a toddy.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Unbelievable. Watching from poolside in Pensacola. Waiting for the LSU matchup next.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Steve,The Rebels deserved to win that Game and please give my regards to your Wife!Who knows what happens next!I am going out right now to wreck my car!

Well, isn't this just an interesting season.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ken,Go FIU!I was hoping that we could show Len and Jenks some of your palms and other stuff during the NCS(played at Joe Robbie).Well,who knows maybe we can afterall!

C'mon Bubba,

Just harken back to the days when winning the SEC was your ceiling.

I was at the game and our sloppy a$$ team had no right to win that game.

Good thing Oklahoma plays Texas Tech who plays Texas who plays Missouri.

Maybe the NC will be Penn State vs USF.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

What a great week in college football!

The Saban matchup will be very interesting. If we can pull it off in FL and at home against Georgia, the LSU/Alabama game will be epic.

It was a great day Saturday, nice weather, cold beer, but I think we looked a bit flat. I suspect we will drop a game to FL or Georgia. FL will be really hungry to pick up that win from us.

I still don't get how AL jumps from 8 to 2 in the AP b/c they beat Georgia and Clemson. I've said all year that Georgia is not gonna be the team from the SEC.

Go Bulls...now the highest ranked team in Florida.

Jason,You need not tell me!I was in attendance with my Dad at a game played in G'ville during the remnants of a Hurricane as a real youngster when our fans tore down the Goalposts because we tied LSU 3-3.

The egregious thing about our loss is the apparent "blame it on the players" attitude shuffled out by our Offensive Coordinator,Dan Mullen.This guy needs a Battle-Field Demotion for his incredible waste of a great Quarterback and inability to effectively utilze athletic talent.His Coaching acumen has turned Tebow from a raging bull into a tenative Deer caught in the headlights.If we fail to immediately adapt and get things operative,we might as well start rearranging furniture on the deck of the Titanic.

On the positive side,I have been a Gator fan for a long time and have never seen talent of this calibre.That stated,if you don't use it,you will loose it.

Not much chatter on this thread with the recent down week? C'mon guys.

I'd like to make a bet on how far LSU will drop in the rankings after this weekend...seeing as how they have a bye.

For those of you that had teams which recently lost, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure USC's loss to an unranked team will not effect them nearly as much as a possible loss to a high ranked Alabama later in the season. Of course the plan is to destory Saban in his old stadium on Nov. 8th and we won't have to worry about a L.

My concern for LSU is on the 11th playing FL in Gainesville, will be a tough game which the Gators will look to get back on track with. Then on to S. Caolina to play the old ball coach and Georgia at Tiger Stadium. That will be a high run.

Anyone else have some tought teams to finish with? I also forgot about Ole Miss before ending with Arkansas. Seeing as how they played Florida would give way to some tougher preparation.

Hopefully we can regroup with Arkansas. When I say regroup I mean "get some balls".

Maybe we can still play USC in the "WTF Happened Bowl".

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

AL will drop 2 - 3 games this year.

The way OSU man handled USC, it worries me we escape the Pac 10 with only one loss. If we right the ship and win the rest by large margin, we will play a 1 loss Big 12 team I bet. Which is too bad.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

I hope you mean that they will drop one of those to LSU :D

LSU fans know nothing will taste sweeter than to bring down Saban in Tiger Stadium. There is no other game that would bring more praise to ol' Les than that one. I really hope we can do it. My friends are already trying to get me to sell our 5 season tickets. I hear they are going for 200-500 a piece right now. As much as my siblings want me to sell and we can probably pay for all of next season I just don't know if I can do it.

If anyone ever finds themselves in Tiger Stadium please let me know. We throw one hell of a tailgate party and I welcome any palm/football folks alike. :)

While vacationing in Florida last week, Cel and I stopped in a roadside bar, a cross between a tourist trap and a biker bar. We looked up and saw this. Even as an LSU fan, I had to smile. Heck, I even bought the t-shirt.

post-1207-1223221407_thumb.jpg

The Noles are coming back and the way the Gators are playing, the game in Tallahasee is looking like it may be a very close one.

Keith,

I love your optimism and would love to see that. Unfortunately, the FSU/Wake Forest game is still fresh in my memory. FSU may be the most erratic team in college football. They go from OK to very bad faster than anyone this year. Notice how very good is never part of that transition.

'Bama looked human this weekend. Do you think Texas Tech and Missouri are overrated?

Ray