IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Jake,I apologize.Alot of other very good teams in Ohio.I think you know who I was talking about!(poor Beanie)As it relates to the big-10,this can't be good.

What you look for is what is looking

Before anyone starts crowning SC,did anyone notice UCONN hung 45 on Virginia with their second string for all the second half. The BCS game does not go to the ranked teams it goes to the computers. SC's schedule strength is weak. The last couple years they have been losing to someone they should'nt ie: UCLA, Oregon St, Stanford. On a side note this to my SEC man Bubba what the hell is going on in Auburn? I watched that game and from what I saw they have some talent at the skill positions but that QB is awful. Overthrows, underthrows they should just stick a RB in there and go to the wishbone. What a waste of a great defense. Watch out for the Big 12 that Mizzou offense is awesome. Love that QB.

San Marcos CA

Jake,I apologize.Alot of other very good teams in Ohio.I think you know who I was talking about!(poor Beanie)As it relates to the big-10,this can't be good.

UC was poised to have a pretty good year in the Big East before the starting quarterback went down with a season ending broken leg in the Oklahoma game. That's my alma mater and I have stuck with them through the dark years when I was a student there.

Cincinnati is close enough to the South to have lots of SEC fans (Tennessee & Florida), and even more when the Suckeyes attempt to play with them in the NC.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Shon, I think a major theme this year will be the revelation of how hard it is for a team to play with a first year Quarterback.Auburn's QB as well as their entire Offensive scheme is year one.The only non-first year QB's in the SEC are Stafford,Tebow and that pumpkin pie hair cutted freak with Satan.Wait,Arky has Dick.(you know there are more than a few name changes that should be considered in the SEC ie/Dick/Smelley/Succop...) LSU is so loaded that it probably does not matter for them.I thought Marve may be one of the best first year guys.

Yeah,Jenks does not have to say much.You know just how lucky you are that Beanie didn't play.He reminds me of Bo Jackson,who pulled himself out of games against Florida many years ago because our linebackers said mean things about his mother.The Truth is that if Beanie played you would have run up the score closer to 50-0.

I really do not see any team that has a shot at USC during regular season and I don't care about the fact that you playing mighty Notre Dame.We will just continue beating the crap out of each other until you end up playing East Carolina for the NC in Miami.

Shon, if USC wins out, they are in. Yeah, Virginia sucks but so does Hawaii. At least there is an attempt to schedule solid, BCS non-conf games. The sched strength will be fine. ASU will beat the puppies, Oregon will do OK and aOSU will climb back up the standings.The worst thing that can happen is falling asleep at the wheel and losing to Wazzu - but I don't think that will happen with this bunch.

Missouri? No D. Sorry, holding Southeast Missouri State to 3 doesn't mean a thing. I think Pelini and the Huskers beat them. If not, then maybe Oklahoma or Texas in the Big12 champ game. My money is on Florida/LSU vs USC in the title game.

Bubba, I knew you would like that bar scene. I think you are right, Beanie would not have made a difference. The OSU line was completely dominated on both sides of the ball. The D was outstanding. Interesting thing about the USC O-line. Coach Carlisle, the strength coach, stresses speed, quickness and flexibility. None of the starters are over 300lbs. The starting center came in last year as a 330 lb freshman (and started) - he is down to 300 lbs after a year at camp Carlisle. These guys are explosive off the line and it is fun to watch these guys motor 30 yds downfield lookign for someone to lay out on running plays.

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks,It is always in the trenches and the more mobile lineman are a major part of the equation.

Jenks read my quote it was only about their offense. Their D would have trouble with Auburn. How is ASU going to care of Georgia? UNLV at home are you serious? Even if it was a look ahead game come on. Your schedule strength will not be fine if you lose one, which I doubt based on that pathetic conference. Poor Oregon is losing guys left and right.

San Marcos CA

Shon - Sorry. When you said "watch out for the Big12 and Mizzou" I assumed you thought they were a legitimate threat. :D

I was mostly joking about ASU. Of course, I would love to see ASU beat them. It is easy to kick the PAC-1 after last weekend but there are a few good teams. Plus, every game left on USC's schedule will be the opponent's national championship game. There will probably be some squeakers in there

Laguna Niguel, CA

If I have to hear any more on "Beanie" Wells I think I'm going to throw up. For at least the past two days on College Football Live, they open up with that story. Despite tOSU's playing ability, the media is still gung ho on them. Gimmie a break.

And now on to the next item...

LSU(#6) @ Auburn(#10)

This week will be a true test for LSU. With the past two week's being major distractions and 2 inexperienced quarterbacks( that I still am not sure they know what they are doing), Auburn has a good chance to beat us. The past 8 games have been decided by the home team, and with rankings of 6 and 10, this game is sure to please.

There is not a team in the SEC I dislike more than Auburn. Their coach and the majority of students really set me off with their beavior and attitude. I have my many reasons, and I not even dare bring up the Chaz Ramsey chop block to Glenn Dorsey last year. I guarantee you that Ricky Jean-Francois did not forgot about that, and the D line will be hungrier than ever to rip up the AU OL. Let's also see if Miled leaves Trindon Holliday back as the punt return man. His 2 runbacks last week were definately aided by long booming kicks, I don't think Tuberville will have his team punting that way, look for the pooch.

I hope Charles Scott can open up to AU's tough defense as he has done in the first two games. He will surely have a tougher challenge this Saturday than ever before. It will be a battle of the defenses, and I think we take the edge in that one. Don't expect a lot of scoring in this one. 5 of the last 7 matchups between these two teams have determined the Western Division champs in the SEC.

Geaux Tigers!

I can't see Auburn beating LSU.No way.Az.State against Georgia.Georgia will probably win but I am pulling for ASU.Florida/Tenn.The Gators better win but unless our Offense steps up it could go either way.

Now Michael,did I hear you say Beanie will play this week?That would certainly be a relief so they can recapture #2 by season's end and all will be forgiven.

I'm excited to see Florida tested this week. Unfortunately UTenn has soiled the outing by their loss. Because of the animosity between the teams, the game should be fun to watch.

I'll have to say it was nice to see Ohio go down once again.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yeah, Tenn screwed the pooch by losing to the guttie little bruins. Particularly after the bruins went on to lose 59-0 to BYU. Just goes to show how tough it is to travel across the country and play a BCS school. That is why SC gets the credit the credit they do for their OOC scheduling.

The Tenn loss also shows why transitive score comparisons are useless. Tenn is a good football team, they would play BYU tough and just might win. BYU BARELY got by Washington. Tenn was crushed by the #6 team i the Pac last year yet beat Georgia.

It will be interesting to see how Georgia does at ASU. I believe they are a better team but A.) this is the first time Georgia has travelled west of the Mississippi in like 50 years B.) SEC schools tend to give up more points when they travel to play OOC BCS schools, particularly against the PAC 10.

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Yeah, Tenn screwed the pooch by losing to the guttie little bruins. Particularly after the bruins went on to lose 59-0 to BYU. Just goes to show how tough it is to travel across the country and play a BCS school. That is why SC gets the credit the credit they do for their OOC scheduling.

The Tenn loss also shows why transitive score comparisons are useless. Tenn is a good football team, they would play BYU tough and just might win. BYU BARELY got by Washington. Tenn was crushed by the #6 team i the Pac last year yet beat Georgia.

It will be interesting to see how Georgia does at ASU. I believe they are a better team but A.) this is the first time Georgia has travelled west of the Mississippi in like 50 years B.) SEC schools tend to give up more points when they travel to play OOC BCS schools, particularly against the PAC 10.

I agree, transitive score comparisons are laughable. Everyone that beat Stanford wasn't better than USC last year. Give me a break! Good teams will loose to lesser teams if they don't show up with the right head, especially in BCS schools.

The UGA/ASU game is the one to watch (other than the UF/UTenn game) for me. Hopefully the SEC can score this week and force everyone to find something else to talk about.

USC probably sealed the deal for a NC birth, unless recent history repeats itself and they get caught looking for bigger targets.

I would love a USC / SEC NC game but I have a feeling that its going to be a USC / Big12 game in the end.

I will say that in both the Miami and Hawaii game, when UF didn't have offensive success, it looked more like they were confused rather than getting beat. Maybe Dan Mullen's offense is just too confusing. I also think that in the Miami game, UF was forcing the run inside to test our backs, and this caused a problem as Miami seemed to be blitzing two backs inside almost every play. I'm not looking for excuses, I promise! When they finally opened it up, things got easier. I would expect UF to run the score up this weekend, if given the chance. UTenn may be more hated than UGA by UF fans, if not bigger rivals.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

To me, Florida is the team with the most potential. Tebow scares the crap out of me. By the end of the year, barring injuries (lose Tebow and you are done), they should be as good as anyone in the country.

Laguna Niguel, CA

LSU not looking so good in the first half against Auburn. But at #10, Auburn is no slouch of a team.

Still another half to play.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

LSU comes back. Unbelievable. Miles is on his game again this year with perfectly timed unexpected plays. Lee surprises all. Gonna be an interesting season for sure.

Maybe LSU deserves that #6 ranking after all.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Me too. I have to be honest, Auburn home field advantage, I had written this one off to defeat. And to tell you the truth, had Hatch not gotten hurt, I think they would have lost. As Miles said, "just another night in the SEC."

The LSU/Auburn game was a slugfest and I am happy to see LSU win.Georgia/ASU-It is blantantly obvious to every Georgia fan that Knowshon Moreno is the next coming of Hershel Walker!Very happy to see the Gators get past Tenn. I know Tenn. is down after loosing to UCLA but this is always a good game for the Gators to get past especially when played up in Hooterville.

Les Miles should be buying lotto tickets every week.

I don't think it is luck with Miles. He has done it too often, but only on rare occaisions. He seems to have an uncanny knack for knowing when a crazy play will work.

Les Miles should be buying lotto tickets every week.

I don't think it is luck with Miles. He has done it too often, but only on rare occaisions. He seems to have an uncanny knack for knowing when a crazy play will work.

I'd have to agree, I think he's a bit beyond luck at this point.

He has done it too often, but only on rare occaisions.

Not sure what this means, but I still think he is a very lucky coach. Those squeakers last year could have gone either way.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jenks,My question to you is how an outstanding USC team would do if they had to play LSU,Alabama,Georgia,Florida,Auburn,Tennesee and South Carolina back to back.All I can tell you is we had several key players injured last year against Ole Miss! It is the repetition of taking the hits back to back every week that you can only ponder.How far out in left field do you consider this diatribe?

USC is really good this year, no question about that. But if you ran them through the prescribed gauntlet of teams in the SEC that face each other week in and week out, they surely wouldn't run the way they are currently.

It's not hard to fire on all cylinders when you are able to pull your starters early. Given the teams USC is facing, their backups will/are getting a lot of reps allowing top notch players to keep their condition more easily.

That Auburn/LSU game was one of the hardest hitting games I've seen in a LONG time!

Bubba, a fair question.

Hard to answer. If SC was in the SEC, it would change many things. Most of all, the distribution of the top notch talent. There is no question PC would have a team every bit as stacked as he does now - maybe more so. As far as running the SEC gauntlet - he would be as prepared as you could possibly be. NO ONE practices the way SC does. That's what I have read at least (from the so called experts that keep track of this stuff) and I have seen it first hand. That has actually been an issue with the fans -why doesn't PC tone it down in practice, our guys are getting taken out left and right. The players will say after games against good teams (OU, AUB, OSU, ARK, NEB etc.) that practice prep was tougher than the actual game. They go 1vs 1 in practice and do not hold back. I really think PC and SC would do well in the SEC. Not saying they would go undefeated every year, but they would in the SEC championship game more often than not.

Michael, USC has been hit very hard with injuries the last few years (lost 2 starting OL on the same play !). PC really preaches competition - it is his mantra, not just talk. Freshman DO play if they earn it. Plus, they are mostly blue chip players who feel they should be starting and are not afraid to compete to prove it. That is why when our starting center went down last year, a freshman jumped in and looked as good (better actually but then he went down). We just lost probably our best pure DB to a neck vertebrae fracture - looks like TJ Bryant will be seeing some more playing time now. The PAC 10 is no SEC, but it is tough to get through that conference every year unscathed - particularly when decimated by injuries. The PAC 10 is loaded with NFL players - a close second to the SEC in terms of sending players to the next level. These teams know SC very well and it is their championship game.

2882299061_585e761036_o.jpg

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks, You artfully dodged my question.USC 2008 is absolutely loaded and there is no argument with that fact whatsoever.That stated,what do you truly estimate your record to be if you played LSU,Alabama,Georgia,Florida,Auburn,Tennesee and South Carolina(2008) back to back.Let's assume half at your place and half on the road?

:D

Ok this year, those teams....

I think SC has the defense to shut down all of those teams with the exception of Florida and maybe LSU. I also think they have the offense to outscore every one of those teams. Worst case scenario, 5-2. If they played Florida this thursday - I like SC's chances and there is a good chance they would run the table.

Everyone will have injuries - who is deep enough to shake them off?

How's that? Delusional?

2882299061_585e761036_o.jpg

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Oklahoma #2???? Can anyone say overrated?! That's almost as bad as FSU being ranked for a week.

I sure hope USC has more formidable competition for the title than Oklahoma. I still remember what a joke it was the last time those teams met. An SEC team might pose a bit of a different outcome.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Jenks you did not list NEB as a good team did you? :mrlooney: I do like your assesment at 5-2. No team could go undefeated with that schedule especially road games. The problem with SC is they won't be tested till a NC game. From what we've seen their two wins are against Virginia(awful) and The Ohio State University(mediocre). Let's see how they react against teams with as much speed as they do ie Texas. I also think Tebow is a physical freak. Did you see his workout regimen on gameday? The guy thinks he is a middle linebacker. There is not a position he could not play on the field.

San Marcos CA

Shon, you got me. Tried to slip them in. Maybe I should have said "OOC, D1, BCS schools".

>>No team can go undefeated with that schedule>>

SC could. I change my assessment :-)

Did you watch the OSU game? Obliteration. The trenches were completely dominated. This is the same OSU team (minus only a couple players) that played LSU pretty tough at times last year.

aOSU has plenty of speed - that team is full of guys that will play on Sundays. I think the problem there is coaching, schemes and fractured phyches. If that doesn't work for you, let's take a couple of SEC teams that SC destroyed on the road - AUB and Arky. Speed? Check. Yeah McFadden was hurt in the second game, blah blah. The also had a talented back named Felix who was completely shut down. SC prepares as well, if not better than anyone for big games and history has shown, they do very well in those games. Look at the BCS record.

Texas was another story - USC should have won that game even though they were playing with a patchwork defense. Cushing was playing with one arm. 5th string cornerbacks, the Ting brothers, were playing in critical situations. In fact one of them had an easy interception on the final drive but decided he would swat the ball away instead. If that doesn't work, I will blame Lane Kiffin who for some reason decided to leave Reggie off the field on that 4th and 2. We get that first down, game over.

Yes, Tebow is a freak. Like I said, we get Florida now, I think we win. By the end of the year - could be another Texas.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks, did I hear you say tOSU played LSU tough at times? I'd say that was a pretty dominated game which proved just what kind of team they are.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw you something that truly represents "preparing hard" and "showing up for the big games" rather than just talking about it...

post-294-1222226928_thumb.jpg

Jenks, did I hear you say tOSU played LSU tough at times? I'd say that was a pretty dominated game which proved just what kind of team they are.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw you something that truly represents "preparing hard" and "showing up for the big games" rather than just talking about it...

You are so bad. And since we are winning, I just love it. Yeah, I know sooner or later I will eat those words, but in the meantime, let me enjoy the glory. :D

Jenks,Your responses reveal that Ivory Tower/Vestal Virgin quality that a Non-SEC fan would state with an honest but unknowing heart.You are forgiven.

What you cannot and will not understand is that in the SEC football is a Religion.You cannot understand what it is like to play the sucession back to back of the aforementioned teams.Trust me,Florida practices very hard also and we lost more than a few Big-time starters to tough practises.(Cornelius Ingram as one Exhibit)Getting hit with the physicality of the SEC teams back to back is the killer.You can expect two major injuries per game.By the end of the stated gauntlet,you would not be the same team.

It is also impossible for you to understand or even whiff the emotional turmoil accompanied by each of these ventures.USC and staff would need very good security detail going into these enclaves.The emotion takes a toll whether you admit it or not.

USC Bandbox tradition cannot be ignored.No question that you waxed mighty Virginia (Conn. beat them 48-0) and The Ohio State University.No doubt you will Bull-rush your way through the Mighty Pac-10.Nothing but Majorettes and talking heads during a love-fest against The Fighting Irish.Tough practices or not,you will never understand the roller coaster that is the SEC coupled with the pain delivered by back to back real games.

As I stated before,SEC football is a religion.Pac-10 football is a diversion until LA obtains another NFL franchise.

The poster should say " One and a half balls" - the first was a a split NC. :lol::lol:

Bubba - I knew you were setting me up for some smack talk.

Yes, I know football is a religion in SEC country - love those "SEC" chants. What the H is that? That is like chanting "NFC West" - I don't get it. Yes a religion. Bordering on an extremist religion :lol: I dont buy all the hype. Yes, it is a good conference. I think some of the teams get the benefit of a ranking based on a blown up rep of the SEC and creampuff schedules to start the season. Yeah, I know, the SEC is the only conference with big time players that actually hit during games. I don't know how you guys survive.

For the record, I have spent time in Florida during football season and watched a few games in sports bars in Gator country. Saw a guy dislocate his shoulder doing an aggro "gator chomp".

Fact: Under PC, USC has had no trouble in SEC country and actually made some teams look downright silly.

Fact: Even though CFB is only a "diversion" in Socal, there is not one team in the SEC that can compare to the sustained tradition of USC. Alabama - close but not quite.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Tradition/Smidgen;Bandbox/Goldy Locks:Back to Back to Back to Back...Vestal Virgins live happily in Ivory Towers!