IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Jason, From your mouth to God's ears! I guess anything is possible in College Football. I sure hope it is not a night game at the Red Stick. Starting to really enjoy Tyler Murphy. Always thought he was a great young man. Fasten your seatbelts!

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

3:30 on CBS. I'm hoping Mettenberger spends as much time on the ground as Arky's quarterback. I imagine that kid has spent the past 4 days living in the ice tub with a giant bottle of advil at his side.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Maybe next year.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sure is quiet in here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, No question that your LSU Bengal Tigers whupped the Florida Gators yesterday. I was impressed with the LSU Defense, number 3, number 33, your QB, your OL's ability to keep our DL from putting any pressure on your QB. I was disappointed in our Defense's ability to stop your running game and our inability to get any TD's in the red zone.

Surprised that Missouri beat Georgia in Athens. Florida has to play Missouri at Missouri next week and then Georgia, South Carolina at South Carolina and Florida State. Therefore, we could easily end up 6-6. However, we still control our own destiny. It may not be likely but it still is possible that we win the rest of our games and meet the Bengal Tigers again in Atlanta. Now that would be surprising but possible. In the mean time, congratulations to LSU on a well played win.

Jason, No question the Zebras were LSU fans/business partners. I saw several blatant bad calls followed by numerous no flags in situations like when Ron Powell was decked in the back by #70 and knocked flat way after the play with a Zebra watching directly. Hate to complain but we never get Zebra home cooking like that at Florida field. In fact, to the contrary.

Bubba,

I was kidding about being robbed. Couldn't generate squat on offense and couldn't finish when we had chances. No way I can blame the refs for that loss. Grass eater pulled it off without really having to pull the crazy card.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Bubba,

I was kidding about being robbed. Couldn't generate squat on offense and couldn't finish when we had chances. No way I can blame the refs for that loss. Grass eater pulled it off without really having to pull the crazy card.

Every game has it share of bad calls and no calls, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Usually I notice them whether or not they are in my team's favor. I don't care for bad officiating no matter no matter who benefits.

Bubba,

Every game has it share of bad calls and no calls, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Usually I notice them whether or not they are in my team's favor. I don't care for bad officiating no matter no matter who benefits.

I didn't notice it being worse than usual for an away game.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'm a big pro NFL watcher, but rarely catch college games. So much so that I had no idea they had that crazy overtime procedure now. How long has that been going on???

Did anyone catch that Michigan/Penn match-up (4 over times)?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

post-1729-0-76268100-1381781337_thumb.jppost-1729-0-29469200-1381781352_thumb.jp

The University of Miami has elevated into the top 10. Looking ahead to Florida State, a win there and then who knows ...

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose,

I give Miami props for beating Florida, but I have a hard time seeing them as a top 10 team. Definitely will have a better idea on how far Miami has come after they play FSU and VT. Still think the ACC is behind the PAC12 and the SEC.

Since you didn't ask, I'll give you my top 10 :) .

1. Alabama (could just as well put Oregon here if both win out)

2. Oregon

3. Ohio State (really don't know where they should be. Big10 is terrible. Wouldn't have a problem with them not being in the top 10)

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

10. Anyone else in the top 20 of either poll other than Louisville.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

BTW,

UCF is a good team. If the Louisville game was at UCF, and I was a betting man, I would be betting against the Cardinals. As good as UCF seems to be, its sad that they are the best team that Louisville will play this year. Louisville should not be allowed to play in a BCS game based on their schedule, regardless of how or why it was conceived.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Moose,

I give Miami props for beating Florida, but I have a hard time seeing them as a top 10 team. Definitely will have a better idea on how far Miami has come after they play FSU and VT. Still think the ACC is behind the PAC12 and the SEC.

2. Oregon

3. Ohio State (really don't know where they should be. Big10 is terrible. Wouldn't have a problem with them not being in the top 10)

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

The big ten sucks! I hate that OSU will could win out and play in a NCG. Similar to ND last year. Meyer knew this when he took the job. Without Tebow, he doesn't win two NCs at FL. The sec and Pac12 are by far the two best conferences this year and both will beat each other up to put OSU in the final game. Most likely against an overrated ACC team. So glad playoffs start next year. The best team in nation (Oregon) will have to beat Stanford away and play currently underfed UCLA twice.

Did anyone watch the OR/TN game? It was worse then the score shows - if you can believe that. I honestly believe that if Nick Saban only had a week to prep for Oregon, he too would be blown out.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

The big ten sucks! I hate that OSU will could win out and play in a NCG. Similar to ND last year. Meyer knew this when he took the job. Without Tebow, he doesn't win two NCs at FL. The sec and Pac12 are by far the two best conferences this year and both will beat each other up to put OSU in the final game. Most likely against an overrated ACC team. So glad playoffs start next year. The best team in nation (Oregon) will have to beat Stanford away and play currently underfed UCLA twice.

Did anyone watch the OR/TN game? It was worse then the score shows - if you can believe that. I honestly believe that if Nick Saban only had a week to prep for Oregon, he too would be blown out.

Its hard for me to doubt Oregon, but I feel they get hyped every year and then disappoint. I need them to win out in the Pac 12 before I completely buy in. Also, Tenn is probably worse or at least even with Kentucky, for what its worth.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

No Georgia?

Bubba,

Just saw this one circulating today, blaming Saints loss of bad officiating. Well, as the french say "C'est la vie"

602413_714406081906426_370525153_n.jpg

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

No Georgia?

Feel free to put Georgia at #10, although both them and Missouri may not be the same teams they were a few games ago.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Well now, that was embarrassing now wasn't it. LSU best season is 9-3 and will more than likely go 8-4. Never should been anywhere near the Top 10 anyway.

Well now, that was embarrassing now wasn't it. LSU best season is 9-3 and will more than likely go 8-4. Never should been anywhere near the Top 10 anyway.

At this point, I would take 8-4 all day long.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

No Georgia?

Feel free to put Georgia at #10, although both them and Missouri may not be the same teams they were a few games ago.

Looks like the Canes are in fact going to clime in the polls.A lackluster performance against UNC, but with 4 turnovers, they still won. Yes we will see what they are made of when they face Florida State. Then your Gators get to have fun on Nov 30th with them.

You may need to "rethink" your position on the ACC.

Oh, all those potential recruits from the State of Florida - see alot of them choosing Fla. State and Miami over Florida. At least you have stopped blaming the refs for Florida's losses. Out of the top 25, with Georgia next. Then a much improved Vanderbilt as the Homecoming game. Then on to South Carolina. Hmmmm, could be at least one loss with those games with the way the Gators are playing. I foresee a witch hunt by the gator fans towards the head coach by seasons end.

BTW,

UCF is a good team. If the Louisville game was at UCF, and I was a betting man, I would be betting against the Cardinals. As good as UCF seems to be, its sad that they are the best team that Louisville will play this year. Louisville should not be allowed to play in a BCS game based on their schedule, regardless of how or why it was conceived.

UCF will be back in the polls tomorrow.

post-1729-0-14472600-1382286533_thumb.jp

BTW - the Canes are 6-0

Moose,

2. Oregon

4. Baylor

5. LSU

6. UCLA

7. Texas AM

8. FSU

9. Clemson

No Georgia?

Looks like the Canes are in fact going to clime in the polls.A lackluster performance against UNC, but with 4 turnovers, they still won. Yes we will see what they are made of when they face Florida State. Then your Gators get to have fun on Nov 30th with them.

You may need to "rethink" your position on the ACC.

Oh, all those potential recruits from the State of Florida - see alot of them choosing Fla. State and Miami over Florida. At least you have stopped blaming the refs for Florida's losses. Out of the top 25, with Georgia next. Then a much improved Vanderbilt as the Homecoming game. Then on to South Carolina. Hmmmm, could be at least one loss with those games with the way the Gators are playing. I foresee a witch hunt by the gator fans towards the head coach by seasons end.

Sorry, I should have put a winkey emoticon next to my statement about blaming the refs. It was total sarcasm. Florida has had a ton of injuries but losses have come from the inability to generate ANYTHING on offense. Team isn't good this year because of our atrocious offense. As for recruiting, FSU and UF have been on par for some time. The biggest criticism for FSU is that they have good athletes for the past several years, they just haven't been able to translate it to the field. Maybe this is their year. Also, talk to me when the recruiting process is over as I believe Miami is close to their limit for 2014 and UF still has several spots that will be filled. This could be a good year for Miami, but UF could quickly close the gap and have a top 5 class.

I'll be the first to say that UF may drop 6 or 7 games this year, although Bubba may have already announced it. Unfortunately, Brent Pease has an excuse in all of the injuries and may be able to hold onto his job. I haven't been impressed with his play calling to date.

Don't get too excited about Miami just yet. Beating a average Florida team by 5 points at home after UF gifted them with 5 turnovers (UM had some part in these :winkie: ) and scraping by a 1-5 UNC team isn't doesn't exactly scream contender. They may be there but I still remain unconvinced.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason - you are such a naysayer about the Miami Hurricanes. In the BCS poll - The Canes are now ranked 7th! In the Coaches poll, 6th! There appears that there are many who do not agree with you. Are we loaded in talent? - No, not compared to many other programs. This may be more of a reflection what Al Golden has done with the players he has. The program is definitely on the upswing.

The NCAA handed down its decision on their investigation today. We lose 3 scholarships per year for the next three years (total 9). The Basketball Team loses one scholarship per year for the next three. Two and a half year witch hunt - which did turn up violations, but were of a minor nature. Neven Shapiro, who made all the allegations about the Canes Athletiic program, he gets out of jail in 2027. I told you guys that the NCAA botched it. :wacko:

Jason - you are such a naysayer about the Miami Hurricanes. In the BCS poll - The Canes are now ranked 7th! In the Coaches poll, 6th! There appears that there are many who do not agree with you. Are we loaded in talent? - No, not compared to many other programs. This may be more of a reflection what Al Golden has done with the players he has. The program is definitely on the upswing.

The NCAA handed down its decision on their investigation today. We lose 3 scholarships per year for the next three years (total 9). The Basketball Team loses one scholarship per year for the next three. Two and a half year witch hunt - which did turn up violations, but were of a minor nature. Neven Shapiro, who made all the allegations about the Canes Athletiic program, he gets out of jail in 2027. I told you guys that the NCAA botched it. :wacko:

Moose,

I'll jump on the train as soon as they beat someone decent. They are ranked 7th because they are in a major conference and undefeated. FSU is your next game, I'll STFU if Miami manage's to win :winkie: . To date their best win is a 5 point victory over UF.

An undefeated ACC team has a very good chance to go to the NC. Although, if Oregon and Alabama make it out undefeated, and there is an undefeated ACC team, I would think that the ACC would get left out, IMHO.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

For me it's all about the U; but unfortunately I think FSU will take them to the woodshed.

untitled-1_114.png

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

NZAA Math for Dummies. Auburn, Penn State, Miami, Ohio State, & Oregon lose 35 scholarships combined . . . . USC loses 30?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

For me it's all about the U; but unfortunately I think FSU will take them to the woodshed.

untitled-1_114.png

You can't say that! How has Golden caused you to lose your faith? Last time I checked, we have Wake to worry about--then the semin-holes...

Ron--you are on the money; Al Golden knows EXACTLY what he wants his football team to look like and he is way ahaead of schedule! No matter what happens, I am proud of my team and proud to say Al Golden is at the helm.

untitled-1_114.png

You can't say that! How has Golden caused you to lose your faith? Last time I checked, we have Wake to worry about--then the semin-holes...

I have faith and hope but unless Stephen Morris can start throwing the ball to the right team, faith and hope ain't gonna get it done.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

NZAA Math for Dummies. Auburn, Penn State, Miami, Ohio State, & Oregon lose 35 scholarships combined . . . . USC loses 30?

Len - I can sympathize with your disappointment. Agreed - USC got shafted by the NCAA.

UM atheletes were no angels but the NCAA really did an abortion of an investigation against UM. It was a "they are guilty. lets search for evidence to support the guilt". Totally bias. How do you charge a University with lack of institutional control when your own organization has the same malady? See link how the NCAA "hired" Nevin Shapiro's Criminal Defense attorney to be part of the investigation: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/24/3198209/nevin-shapiros-lawyer-said-she.html .

Perhaps Bubba could elaborate about potential conflict of interests.

Len - I can sympathize with your disappointment. Agreed - USC got shafted by the NCAA.

UM atheletes were no angels but the NCAA really did an abortion of an investigation against UM. It was a "they are guilty. lets search for evidence to support the guilt". Totally bias. How do you charge a University with lack of institutional control when your own organization has the same malady? See link how the NCAA "hired" Nevin Shapiro's Criminal Defense attorney to be part of the investigation: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/24/3198209/nevin-shapiros-lawyer-said-she.html .

Perhaps Bubba could elaborate about potential conflict of interests.

Ron, you are correct there, but there are two other points to look at: One is that UM was contrite and cooperated with the NCAA and self sanctioned before anything came out, discipline wise. USC did not do that--they fought the allegations, filing appeals and playing/going to bowl games while under investigation. Secondly, the NCAA is wildly out of control and anything but consistent! Look at how they have handled the Penn State thing--make up your mind on punishments!

untitled-1_114.png

I have faith and hope but unless Stephen Morris can start throwing the ball to the right team, faith and hope ain't gonna get it done.

The last game was, I think, his worst game ever as a quarterback. I still see Morris as a great QB as opossed to what I saw last Thursday. He knows he can't play like that and be a starter--he will do better. His ankle is much better I hear too. Bottom line is the U is back! :)

untitled-1_114.png

The last game was, I think, his worst game ever as a quarterback. I still see Morris as a great QB as opossed to what I saw last Thursday. He knows he can't play like that and be a starter--he will do better. His ankle is much better I hear too. Bottom line is the U is back! :)

XUMEEQZWVFDHYNZ.20130711211037.jpg

--Avett Bros

untitled-1_114.png

XUMEEQZWVFDHYNZ.20130711211037.jpg

Duke has to stay healthy but Crawford is not too bad either

--Avett Bros

The Canes are an ugly 7-0 and still ranked 7th. Big showdown Saturday night against Florida State. The 'Noles are 22 pt. favorites.

Florida / Georgia game seems so irrelevant this year. Usually an intense game and a very hard ticket to come by. The SEC is simply beating the crap out of each other this year.

The Oregon Ducks may be the best team in the college football.