IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Gaturds have to stop making so many mental errors. They are a good team that will continue to lose close games through penalties and unforced turnovers.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Not sure of Auburn's strength this year, but I am guessing they were sufficient to say that LSU finally faced a real football team, and came out on top again. This season could be interesting indeed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

SC won we get another few games with Kiffin. Beat Utah St by 3. Yeah Utah St.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sweet. Nebraska spanked an FCS/1aa team. Wooo hoooo.

Len, Kiffin's got to go. Never understood the hype around him.

Keith, I wouldn't let a win over Auburn get you too amped up just yet. Just sayin'.

USC will be much better off if they let Kitten go mid season, have an interim coach to finish up and then make a big splash with a new hire who immediately starts recruiting. Otherwise, they just prolong the pain.

Things are looking up at the swamp. Beating a terrible Tennessee team isn't much of a feat, but the offense seemed to be clicking better than ever once our new QB shook off the jitters. Defense looked terrific. 1st half was like a keystone cops episode but in the second half the looked like a real team.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

What Oregon did to TN last week was nuts. I have always said if you only have one week to prep OR you will lose.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

UF just lost a very good if not our best defensive lineman for the year to an ACL tear. Bummer for the kid. Early projections had him going very high in the Draft. Seems like a decent fellow. Going to miss him dancing in between plays.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Georgia gets a monster win over LSU. Mark Richt (an ex Canes quarterback) has got the Bulldogs playing at a high level. SEC sure is interesting this year.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Shoot out for sure. LSU choked in the end.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kiffin inherited a bad deal. I feel bad for him but it was time to go. Recruiting was hurting and with limited rides, we have to sign a full class. The good news is we can still screw up UCLAs season.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Kiffen had success as a coordinator and he potentially was given too much credit for that. Otherwise, he has basically been a failure and to compound things, he's carried himself as a spoiled and arrogant ass. Its still baffling why he continues to get jobs.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

He ran TN better then anyone since.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

So Len,

Any thoughts on who will be targeted for the USC job? Is there anyone you would want?

I have always had a generally positive slant for USC, I just had a low opinion of Kiffin.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

So Len,

Any thoughts on who will be targeted for the USC job? Is there anyone you would want?

I have always had a generally positive slant for USC, I just had a low opinion of Kiffin.

I'm with you Jason about Kiffin.

So Len,

The guy I like is a guy Haden would never hire - Petrino. With SC talent he would kill it. The guy most realistically I would want is BSU's Petersen. Fitzgerald from NWestern would be good too. Strong won't leave the south and Franklin might have baggage with the rape incident.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

So Len,

The guy I like is a guy Haden would never hire - Petrino. With SC talent he would kill it. The guy most realistically I would want is BSU's Petersen. Fitzgerald from NWestern would be good too. Strong won't leave the south and Franklin might have baggage with the rape incident.

All excellent coaches. Funny, sounds like many of the same names mentioned for the Nebraska job that many fans hope will be open at the end of the season.

Petrino will be able to repair his image, but it will take a few years. As the say, winning can cure anything.

Strong is an awesome coach and would be a great hire. We loved him at Florida and had Muschamp tanked I think Florida would definitely come calling this year. There was a concern that he hadn't proven himself as a head coach at the time of the departure of Urban the Ohioan.

Not many African American coaches leading teams in the top 25 right now. Charlie and Sumlin? Maybe two is a quite a lot, historically?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

So Len,

The guy had a really hard time keeping his mouth shut. Especially since he rarely backed up the garbage that came out of it.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

So Len,

The guy had a really hard time keeping his mouth shut. Especially since he rarely backed up the garbage that came out of it.

That was at TN. One reason he got fired now instead of end of season is he did keep his mouth shut. Terrible with boosters. Terrible with most kids. Quite to media. Burnt too many bridges.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Are the sanctions against USC ending this year?

After. One more year of 15 rides. Imagine how bad the damage is at year three. All others can get 25 kids. SC only 15 for three years in a row. Leaves about 60 kids for next year. I hope Paul Dees is rotting in hell.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Life sometimes has strange contradictions. For years I have watched LSU have great seasons based solely on the strength of its defense. Now, it seems to have flipped. Finally they have a real offense at the same time the defense is in a total rebuild year. Even the announcers noted in tonight's game about what a season they would be having with past defenses combined with this year's offense. I still hold out any judgement as they face Alabama coming up soon, but all things are possible at this point, and yet all things can be lost as well.

Life sometimes has strange contradictions. For years I have watched LSU have great seasons based solely on the strength of its defense. Now, it seems to have flipped. Finally they have a real offense at the same time the defense is in a total rebuild year. Even the announcers noted in tonight's game about what a season they would be having with past defenses combined with this year's offense. I still hold out any judgement as they face Alabama coming up soon, but all things are possible at this point, and yet all things can be lost as well.

You have just described Nebraska to a T. Is it too much to ask to be competent on more than one side of the ball in the same year?

Are the sanctions against USC ending this year?

After. One more year of 15 rides. Imagine how bad the damage is at year three. All others can get 25 kids. SC only 15 for three years in a row. Leaves about 60 kids for next year. I hope Paul Dees is rotting in hell.
Penn State is beginning to understand that reality this year too.

The Miami Hurricanes are 5-0 for the first time since 2004. Thanks all to Al Golden's displinary approach. Could possibly be the most dynamic head coach since Howard Schnelleberger. The Hurricane program was in a spiralling decline. The stadium is starting to have numbers of fans not seen in years. I love how the Athletic department (as directed by Golden) went to all the little league football programs in Dade & Broward counties and gave them free tickets to the Savanna State game.

post-1729-0-99876100-1381066821_thumb.jp

...... And they should be facing tough sanctions. But like Braun the first time, seems a technicality gets them off again. SC got hammered for far worse and they were not even on probation.

SC had their best week of the season :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

...... And they should be facing tough sanctions. But like Braun the first time, seems a technicality gets them off again. SC got hammered for far worse and they were not even on probation.

SC had their best week of the season :)

Tough sanctions for what? Some allegations from a convicted felon who stole $ millions. Oh, the NCAA legal investigator is in the process of getting disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court for ethics violations. The NCAA botched the entire situation. No technicality - simple incompetence.

Ohio State has already had their sanctions reduced. The Texas A&M investigation was concluded expeditiously. To leave a program hanging for so many years is just plain wrong. The program has self imposed a bowl ban on itself twice to appease the NCAA. They can't figure out how to back out of the case without getting egg all over their face. 4+ year investigation with no conclusion with no end in sight? Really hard to recruit in that atmosphere. The NCAA is looking to fleece (extort) $$$ from the program.

There is a growing number of college Presidents and many a conference that has had enough with the NCAA. The Justice Dept. has quietly been investigating the NCAA. Racketeering is a crime. USC should have fought their sanctions - going after a program for infractions so far in the past. Lets see if they got the nerve to go after Alabama. Technically they could take away their National Championship. They won't dare - Alabama would strike back with a vengence.

Basically, the NCAA does nothing for the schools anymore. They collect the $$$ - thats it. They lost control a long time ago. Their existence is for their benefit, nothing more. :rant:

I agree Moose. SC wimped out. The McNair case will expose them when files releases. The SEC will never get punished by the way.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The only team in the SEC that has and in a heart beat would be severely reprimanded by the NCAA is Florida. The SEC has never considered Florida "Southern" enough to legally qualify for the SEC. Moose, you may not remember it but Miami and Georgia Tech were both SEC folk but gave it up. I also hate the NCAA together with their inexplicably inconsistent behavior towards schools.

Len, you will be much better off without that rat dog Kiffen. He ruined many kids careers like NuKeese Richardson from Pahokee and was a truly bad actor. It is quite interesting that Dee from Miami was the guy who made certain that USC did time for nothing anywhere close to Auburn and Cam Newton or perhaps what is in the early stages of revealing itself at Alabama with Ha Ha Dix, coaches dismissed and maybe USC should take a hard run at Satan. He is known to jump quick when the law is in pursuit/See Michigan State. However, Moose, you should probably watch the ESPN 30/30 documentary on the Gangster culture instituted by Jimmie Johnson at UM. The NCAA needs not any subpoena power as Irvin and crew readily admit on film to their acts,receipt of deneiro and many other privileges. Jimmie is purposely vague but comes much closer to confirming than denying. That stated, one of my favorite games to this day was when the Canes traveled to Soonerville during the days of Boz and went medieval with blow torches.

I agree with Spurrier that the players should all be reasonably compensated now. It is simply unfair for these young players, many who are poor, to be given scholarships but not enough money to get home for Christmas to see their families. Did anyone see Spurrier three sheets to the wind on his USC/Cock show slurring after 15 shots of sippin whiskey? Got to love it and I bet his wife, Jerri, put him under the doghouse.

Keith and Jason, Where will we both stand after we enter the Kingdom of the Valley of Death? Do our Gators have even a faint chance? It seems our Offense has improved dramatically with the loss? of the mechanical tin man Buzzkill. How will he hold up in the Valley of Death? Contrary to Buzzkill, Zach has actually improved dramatically. Should be a good game and not a steam roll I hope.

As bad as Box and Swipper were, the paradigm of the contraries was Coach Osborne. Talk about juxtaposition.

What you look for is what is looking

TO is the answer to the crowd that says you have to lie, cheat and steal (or recruit those that do) in order to win.

Well, from an early age, it is a fairly common practice that players are taught to cheat but not get caught. Look at the number of penalties in most games. They aren't all accidents.

TO is the answer to the crowd that says you have to lie, cheat and steal (or recruit those that do) in order to win.

Well, from an early age, it is a fairly common practice that players are taught to cheat but not get caught. Look at the number of penalties in most games. They aren't all accidents.

Very true sir. Very true.