IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Issac,Thank you for the pictures,excluding a crying Tebow.You show the Passion that is SEC football and it is a family thing.It is so Passionate grown men cry.I am glad we get you in G-ville this year but greatly enjoy that New Orleans/Baton Rouge Trip.I am not sure that playing in G-ville guarantees anything but I know it will be a Hell of a game.Yes, I do hope we beat the bigger than life Leghumpers.Do you ever play those guys?

What you look for is what is looking

The last time Georgia came to Baton Rouge was 2003. They were picked by many to win the National Championship and the SEC that year. LSU beat them in a daytime game that played host to 'College Game Day'. It was a late comeback and a very memorable game. A few weeks later LSU lost their only game that year to Florida in Tiger Stadium. http://www.tigerstadium.com/quotes.htm

I was there, it was heartbreaking, but I got over it when we won every other game that year including beating the whiney Oklahoma Sooners for the National Championship. My wife and I actually went to Atlanta that year for the SEC CG vs. Georgia. I have no pictures b/c we had no digital camera back then in the stone ages. We had a ball with the Georgia fans. I fed them gumbo and gave them beer. They were all very friendly. But last year I got really tired of hearing Mark Richt whine about his team not playing for the NC. WIN YOUR CONFERENCE FIRST COACH.

hesterdreamcrusher.jpg

2176780042_45d62f4ef5_o.gif

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Thank God that Jacob Hester transmigrated to the NFL.That guy was a Beast!

Thank God that Jacob Hester transmigrated to the NFL.That guy was a Beast!

He will be missed. Keilan Williams was supposed to be the superstar runningback and everyone, myself included, at first questioned why they were starting Hester over him. In the spring game KW fumbled and was benched. Richard Murphy made a spectacular showing after that. He is going to be something special. His name will be comming up a lot by the end of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDhiMK-amE

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for all those interested in College Football and team speed.True Freshman,Jeffrey Demps, and Redshirt Freshman,Chris Rainey,have been racing each other in the 40 yard dash.You may recall that Demps recently became the fastest Highschooler ever by running a 10.01 100 Meters in Olympic Preliminaries.With this time,he has also become the fastest College player,edging LSU's Trindon Holliday(10.05/100 Meters)

Well,he may be the fastest player in the Country but he is not the fastest Gator in the 40.Chris"Raindog"Rainey has bested him in 3 back to back 40's.Same way he did Noel Devine in the K-Mart parking lot before Devine left for prison school up in West Virginia(Grades and too many children in Ft.Myers)

HEY BUBBA...THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE U!!!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Pedro, I am going to highjack U out of that dam green chair and force your entire family to see what real football is all about on Sept.6,2008.To think you turned down a full ride at UF and still support that silly bird!

News tonight say Andrew Hatch will start in QB position for opening game, but Miles will continue with dual quarterback scenario.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

News tonight say Andrew Hatch will start in QB position for opening game, but Miles will continue with dual quarterback scenario.

He has the maturity and better composure in the pocket from what I saw in the spring game. You can bet Jarret Lee will be worked in the first 3 games to see if he is ready. And don't be surprised if you see Jordan Jefferson (true freshman) toward the end of the year or sooner if Lee and Hatch cannot get it together.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewp...mp;pr_key=56979

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8...amp;nid=2743696

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Our Two a Days started this morning at 6:30 AM.It starts initially with Freshmen and walkons.One noted walkon was the return of Gunsmoke(ie Ronnie Wilson).Gunsmoke was suspended from the team in April 2007 because a club-goer kept trying to get Ronnie to fight.Ronnie left the club and was trailed by the adamant fight wanter(Ronnie was the strongest player on our team benching 550lbs).Ronnie was trying to adhere to Coach Meyer's strict no fight policy but adamant fight wanter(apparently a small guy,who Gunsmoke could crush in the palm of his hand)continued until Gunsmoke popped his trunk and fired a shot or two from his AK-47 up in the air.

He has adhered to a very strict group of requirements issued by Meyer that included loss of his Schlorship but has been working out and looks very good.(ie Defensive Tackle 6'3/325lbs)

Others looking very good were Will Hill,John Brown,Omar Hunter,Matt(The Hun)Patchan(He took a shot in the back while playing B-Ball this Summer but looks about 20lbs heavier muscle),Brendan Beal and others including Jeff Demps,who Coach Meyer said looked Fast!

We play Hawaii Aug.30,2008 and then the Horrorcanes on Sept.6,2008 before SEC play.

Well I'm ready for LSU to hit the field. I really like our pre-season poll.

We lost some big names, but don't be fooled, this team is STACKED with talent!

They will have the best defensive line in college football. Jean-Francois, Pittman, Tyson Jackson and Charles Alexander. I know you south FL guys have a sweet spot in your heart for Jean-Francois :) .

On offense lookout for #1 and #2, LaFell and Byrd. And of course you just can't miss lil ol'Trindon Holliday streaking across the field. Runningbacks will hold up fine and junior Dixon returns to TE.

The only thing that worries me is our QB, but at least they've decided Hatch will be the #1 man, Harvard to LSU QB, I just hope they can keep the mistakes to a minimum, let the team do the rest.

My opinion is that Florida or LSU will be in the title game again. A lot of hype for Georgia, but they're coming to our house this year, and I sure as hell ain't gonna bet on us losing that one. We get them at home once every four years so we're not passing up on this opportunity.

GEAUX TIGERS

Jason and Bubba,

I truly am sorry to hear that news. It's a shame how things like that happen before the season even starts. He was a badass on the field.

Jason, I hope CI is not out forever.I read he may apply for a six year Medical Hardship.What a great young man.Started out as Quarterback,played basketball also,had to be talked out of quiting by Urban,who talked him into Tight End.I was worried about him when he was on cruthches this Spring.

Aaron"the Mack Truck"Hernandez just became much more important as does 6th year senior Tate Casey.Hernandez looks unbelieveble and in Spring knocked the helmet right off Dustin Doe,who did tackle him.At 6'3/258 he was laser timed in the 40 under 4.4.

Matt"the Hun"Patchan continues to show he is one crazy guy.Picked up a Moccaison he found alive under his car for pictures.Shoot him in the back,he don't care.He is my kind of Dude!

Further update on Matt"The Hun"Patchan.It seems that in addition to that Moccason grabbing stunt that he and his roomate,Brenden Beal, have also been jumpin gators down at Lake Alice.This has led to invitations from former Florida Linebacker Channing Crowder(current Dolphin Linebacker) for Pig tackling lessons(Channing's personal favorite off-season past time)and Pig Blocking lessons offered by Offensive Guard Jim Tartt of Sopchoppy,Florida.For those of you unfamiliar with small towns in the Florida Panhandle,that is several miles down the road from Two-Egg.

Matt has greatly enjoyed all of the attention but really just wants to get back on the field.He has just been cleared to resume practice.When asked the best attributes he brings to the team he stated that it was his inner beauty and bubbly personalty.

Jason, I hope CI is not out forever.I read he may apply for a six year Medical Hardship.What a great young man.Started out as Quarterback,played basketball also,had to be talked out of quiting by Urban,who talked him into Tight End.I was worried about him when he was on cruthches this Spring.

Aaron"the Mack Truck"Hernandez just became much more important as does 6th year senior Tate Casey.Hernandez looks unbelieveble and in Spring knocked the helmet right off Dustin Doe,who did tackle him.At 6'3/258 he was laser timed in the 40 under 4.4.

Matt"the Hun"Patchan continues to show he is one crazy guy.Picked up a Moccaison he found alive under his car for pictures.Shoot him in the back,he don't care.He is my kind of Dude!

I would be surprised if CI didn't opt for the NFL combine next year. We'll wait and see.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason,Could not blame him.I just hope he heals well.He is such a great Leader on the team.I wonder if this has been bothering him for a little while because he was on crutches at the Spring game and his 40 time was slower than I expected.What a great young man!

• 3 weeks later...

Bubba, u ready!?

Watching South Carolina play right now and can't believe the season has kicked off.

It's gonna be a wild opener for LSU, the wife and I are headed out tomorrow afternoon on our way to Baton Rouge! Geaux Tigers!

Michael,Just heard that LSU/App State has been moved to 10:00AM.Please be careful and Geaux Tigers!

Bubba,

Its interesting that uf is having a noon game for Hawaii. Not just the time difference, but the heat can get pretty brutal. Forecast is for a high of 90F (which is actually slightly lower than normal). This will mean it will be in the mid to upper 90s in the Swamp. I'm probably going to the game but I don't see myself staying the entire game.

Can't imagine it will be pleasant for the Hawaiians.

Not a big fan of scheduling noon games until late October.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yeah it's going to be an early one. The only good thing is it may be just a hair cooler. I'm heading to Baton Rouge now. I'm just worried about trying to get outta there on Sunday morning with the possible contraflow.

Jeez, what a way to start the season. It's gonna be an early start to get a few drinks in me ;)

Yeah it's going to be an early one. The only good thing is it may be just a hair cooler. I'm heading to Baton Rouge now. I'm just worried about trying to get outta there on Sunday morning with the possible contraflow.

Jeez, what a way to start the season. It's gonna be an early start to get a few drinks in me ;)

Keep the gas tank full. Lines down here are already outrageous and a couple of stations are out. I got tired of waiting to fill the truck and just came on home. I can always siphon the gas out of the boat to fill the truck if need be. I suspect the stations will be refueling tonight and in the morning anyway.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Jason, I will never forget watching Florida play USC(spoiled cildren) in the early 1980's.Same thing.Labor Day on Doug's Rug.It was 140F on the field at 94% humidity.USC was very good but they were throwing up all over the field by early in the second Quarter.If I remember corrctly Sean Salisbury was the USC Quarterback and Wilber Marshall had 20 plus tackles.Coach John Robinson told Wilber at midfield that it was the single most impressive performance he had ever witnessed in the loss.

Florida had done the same "suprise suprise" to a very good California team.No one could catch Steve Bartowski's passes and they were throwing up at the end of 1st Quarter,which I am sure contributed to their loss.

HEY BUBBA...THEY'RE BACK!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE U!!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Sven, Listening to all the Cane Smack.Jacory renamed Justscory.Apparently,he is one rad dude with a real bad tude.After the game,in interviews,he did admit that he weighed 163 lbs with more than a few coins in his pocket.He also admitted that he was more than a little nervous next week cuz Coach Shannon said they were playing Pahokee at Pahokee!

That is just not fair.I feel Cory's pain when he see's Jet Blue next week.ACC looking very strong,which maybe good for Cory.

Bubba - what happened to your boys at Miami Northwestern? Looks like they were recently stomped by Long Beach Poly.

Watching what is most likely the #5 or 6 PAC 10 team, UCLA giving an ultra fast, uber physical SEC team a run for its money.

The Vols might pull this off in the end but, shouldn't the be dominating?

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks,Miami/Northwestern fell off the ledge last year when about 16 kids accepted Division 1 Rides.I believe 8 went to the u.If they got beat,you can take pride in the fact you stomped a bunch of 15 year olds!

UCLA did beat Tennesee in what was one of the sloppiest games I have recently seen.Neither is a half way decent team.The SEC was 10-1 this week.

No denying that USC looked great.However,Pahokee would give Virginia a run for their $.Once again,I am not coming close to saying USC is not top-notch.

We will learn a little more about Florida this week when Percy Harvin returns and Brandon Spikes as well as a number of Defensive Tackles,who always have to sit out the first Game.It is said Harvin is not happy about all this talk about speed and no mention of his name.

Now I know it was lowly Hawaii but you are not being honest if you tell me the Gators had no speed on that field Saturday.Now we face the most fearsome group this weekend since Brian Bosworth found steroids.The u comin up the State to take care of some Bizwack and the Miami Herald maybe forced to cancel Sunday's Sports.

LB Poly loses kids to D1 schools every year too - nice try. Miami NW is still ranked in the USA Today top 25 this year. I would have thought LB Poly would have had a tough time in the heat and humidity.

The SEC 10-1 this week? Make that 10-2. That is Hee-larious. Look at the oponents. Talk about a tray of cup cakes. Alabama beating Clemson was probably the toughest test. Beating Western Kentucky Sate should not even count as a win.

The Vols could (should) have beat FUCLA last night. Fulmer shoud be cannned. That game should end any arguments about West coast football talent. Down year or not, Ten has top notch SEC talent and they were matched against a team that went 6-7 last year (lost to ND) and was playing with their 3rd string QB.

There is no denying Florida's team speed. USC can match it.

Virginia was no cupcake. They have won more games than any ACC team in the last 5 years. There is something to be said for opening up the season 3000 miles from home against a BCS team that played in a New Years Day bowl last year. USC is the only team in the top 10 that does not have a non-BCS school on the schedule.

Virginia has NFL players on the roster - in fact they have the #1 rated, senior O-lineman and he (and the rest of the line) were flat out playing scared after the first series. They said they have not seen that kind of speed before - "the holes just disapeared".

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Please confirm all players on USC timed at 10.01 in 100 meters(fastest College Baller ever=Demps),who are not the fastest 40 yarders on your team.Demps admits Rainey beat him in the 40.Murphy believes he is faster than Rainey.Thompson knows he is faster than Murphy.Murphy admits that Harvin is the fastest of all but considers it juvenile.

Virginia stinks and the ACC is horrible.A handful of teams are in true competition for the NC,USC certainly being one.You are lucky you do not have to play LSU,Georgia,Alabama and Florida particularly back to back.If Northwestern is still rated,that is a joke.I would trade playing Ohio State any day for a pass with LSU.It looks like Fulmer has officially retired and now ready to take his 10 million buyout.SEC is the best by far and Pac-10 is holding it's own with the Big East and the ACC,USC being the exception.They are very good.

Easy, Bubba.

I know, I know, you guys have the fastest RB's and WR's ever. Has Urban devised a way to get all those guys on the field at the same time? And what about Moody?

USC does not have anyone with Demps speed. We have some burners on offense and defense but Demps is Usain Bolt fast - when I said we can match it, I meant overall team speed.

You know Virginia has beaten Miami 2 years in a row, including last years humiliating 48-0 smack down, right ?

Trade LSU for tOSU ? How about Michigan :P

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

I would definitely trade having to play LSU for Ohio State anyday.Last year Michigan was a Senior-laden team much better than their record playing a ridiculously young Florida team.SEC boys would gladly trade any Big-Ten opponent for having to play LSU at night in that insane atmosphere.You should have Michael or Keith take you to one of those wild events.The only thing is that even if they beat us I would miss that insane atmosphere.You got to be there to understand it!

If you think playing Football in the High Heat and Humidity of Charlottesville,Virginia is tantamount to what you experience around Labor Day in G-ville,Florida,I suggest you ask Coach Robinson about his visit to G-ville.

USC has incredible team speed and is deserving of a top ranking.But believe it or not there are a few teams from other places than the Big Ten with team speed,many of whom reside in the South.What I am not looking forward to is the furious back patting when you kick the crap out of Ohio State.It will be a light ,bouncy Love-in ,listening to talking heads like Brent Mussberger talk of yesteryear and motor boat rides.(toot-toot)

Hopefully Florida will quietly take care of buisness and we may have a chance to play you guys in the Orange Bowl for the Marbles.Maybe you would come down to the Magic City and I could show you Palms.

Now I have to deal with all this Cane-Thang crap,talking about how their going to smash the crap out of us.Not one of these idiots went to UM and it will all be forgotten next week.My youngest was told by a classmate that it was unfair that Florida would play a Fullback at Quarterback.

I have to say, I am ready for a win against U of M. I have this gangland image of all of their fans imprinted in my head from when I was in school. Last time they came to town it was if Gainesville had been invaded by a horde of Cane basketball jearsey wearing, blinged-out thugs. I know that all Miami fans aren't like that but that's my minds-eye image.

The last time they came to Gainesville, my girlfriend felt sorry for Brock Berlin as they were getting beat by 20 or something like that in the first half, then UM orchestrated a comeback. Not a good time.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Sven,As a helpful Counselor,I am trying to understand your infatuation with the u.I see nothing in your background that lends itself to this affliction.If I recall there were no full ride offers from the Canes to you in your Senior year of High School.I know Charlie Finley flew from California with a suitcase full of money and you turned him down.I do not see how that endears you to the u.

In fact,Florida was the only State University to offer you a full ride in your real passion(Basketball).You turned them down but I do not see how that could be construed against the Gators.

The fact that you chose the bucolic hills of New Hampshire to matriculate as a legacy at Dartmouth(all that Ivy)cannot lead to a Cane Thang.

Your beautiful wife was a Florida State Cheerleader.That cannot lead to the u.Your beautiful daughter graduated from Virginia.The Cav's have no love for the Cane's.Admittedly,your gifted son graduated from UM but he has told me repeatedly that he has no real love for the Canes and only went there because of a good program and because of the very attractive Brazilian and Colombian Co-ed's.Still do not see the link to the u.No heart.So what is it?

Bubba they made you sweat. The worst call I have seen since the phantom PI in the NC game with the U and the Ohio Stae University. That was not a catch. I think Miami is one of the teams you don't want to play at the end of the season. I don't think Shannon liked that FG at the end. Did you see that handshake? It looked like Belichek and Mangini.

San Marcos CA

Shon, My youngest son and I attended the Game.I was ready for a spleen cleansing.More like watching a Plane Crash.

Florida won and I never felt threatened by Miami.That was not because of our Offense.Our Offensive Coordinator had more than a few games like this when we won the National Championship in 2006.Dreadful,predictable and stupid play calling.Anyone who can make Tebow look tentative is questionable.Our Offensive Line(which are essentially returnees)looked as bad as they did against Hawaii.We need some answers.

Hope comes in our Defense.What a difference a year makes.New Defensive Line and Corner Coaches together with experience have created a stout group.Miami is a much better team than I expected and their strength is their O-Line(Huge=345lbs average) and outstanding Running Backs.Holding them to 80 yards is no small fete.

Some talk that Florida played Vanilla because SEC starts shortly.Doubt it.Our Offensive Coordinator and O-Line Coach better get it together because we will never have a more conducive schedule and Tebow will not be at Florida forever.

Kudo's to Miami.I think they win the ACC.Shannon has no room to get hot and bothered by a last minute Field Goal.He ran the score up in the last minutes in three of his six victories.That was the first Field Goal attempt for our new kicker.Schellenberger did it to us also.Not that it matters but Carl Moore definitely looked like he was in bounds and had possession to me.It is amazing how eyes can see what they want.Florida has a long way to go but don't count them out yet.USC will beat OSU 50-0 and Brent Mussberger will fart his way up the Erie Canal.

I was at the game as well. UF's offensive line looked more confused than anything and that's a credit to Miami. Nice to see them finally get things straight towards the end of the third quarter.

Shannon came across as someone grasping for excuses though, in his comments after the game. Strange, but if you listen to most Miami fan's take on the game, it almost sounds as if they won it. Getting held to 3 points is not good, regardless how you spin it. Apparently Miami's performance vs uf has led to a south Florida recruiting coup. I guess 1.6 yards per carry is noteworthy.

It is amazing how eyes can see what they want.Florida has a long way to go but don't count them out yet.USC will beat OSU 50-0 and Brent Mussberger will fart his way up the Erie Canal.

I have a hard time even listening to Mussberger talk. How hard is it to pronounce "Donavan"?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Tank I don't think Miami won at all. The offense was horrible, which more of a credit to Fla in my opinion. It is just a sign of how far things have fallen that you get encouraged by a 23 point loss to a rival.

San Marcos CA

The entire state of Ohio is on suicide watch.People jumping out of second floor windows.They did better than I expected.USC is very good but the big-10 has been reduced to rubble.

In the SEC,scores are looking like Baseball.Auburn 3 to 2 over Miss.State.Georgia 14-7 over South Carolina.By next year,the NCAA will have games down to two hours followed by Punt,Pass and Kick competition!(Crowd invited)Who knows what happens next?

In the SEC,scores are looking like Baseball.Auburn 3 to 2 over Miss.State.Georgia 14-7 over South Carolina.By next year,the NCAA will have games down to two hours followed by Punt,Pass and Kick competition!(Crowd invited)Who knows what happens next?

Same score balance for LSU, but the real test comes next week. We'll see if they have earned that ranking.

The entire state of Ohio is on suicide watch.People jumping out of second floor windows.They did better than I expected.USC is very good but the big-10 has been reduced to rubble.

Watch it there Bubba.

Not everyone in Ohio is on suicide watch. There are plenty of Ohio State haters down in Cincinnati, me being one of them. I loved every minute of last night's game. Pure ecstasy watching that blowout.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador