IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Bubba,

I went fishing that weekend although I did watch the game on tv. I think that they look much better this year than last year. The defense appears to have matured nicely. I think the running back situation is clearing up, even though moody fumbled. I expect Rainey, Williams, Moody and Moore (sounds like a law firm) will rotate in and give us some real production in the fall. We should have a bunch of options on offense.

Four more months....

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Bubba, Lendak has left the team. Word is he on his way to "take out that m*&%%$ @%$#!r Bin Laden" then heading to Sudan to "Sraighten s*%!t out over there". We wish him luck though I don't think he needs it. After all, Lendak forced Chuck Norris into retirement.

Guys, Mustain isn't transfering. His only option is a 1-AA school - he can't tranfer to a Div 1 school. He says he is staying. He has looked good in practice and if Sanchez goes down, he will have to step in.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Truth be told,Lendak's calling was way beyond college football.Growing up as an orphan in the mean streets of Compton,he endured adversity that few will ever know.His first recognition was at the Neighborhood level at the age of four when he sucessfully orchestrated the freeing of seven like-kind orphans from the clutches of the evil one,who referred to himself as the Tooth Fairy.In the Fourth Grade,at over 6'0 feet tall,he wowed the intellectual by a perfect score on the college entrance exam.His precociousness was further demonstrated by his Dissertation on Quantum Mechanic's during the sixth grade.His extemporaneous demonstation of the Utiliterian Applications of Anti-Gravity Technology at the Cal. State Physics Fair sealed his fate.

Yes, Lendak has gone underground to fight for the forces of Good.Allowed to fulfill a few Adolescent fantasies,he attended a few Nike Combines and Junior days.The stunned still question his existence but Pete Carroll's sadness is only exceeded by Richt,Miles and Meyer's glee.We may never see him again but his results will be part of our very existence.

Now,who is this Gallippo?

What you look for is what is looking

I used to own the first "Kids of Widney High" cd. Had to get rid of it due to the simultaneous mix of extreme humor and guilt. Needless to say, the creation of those cds is a worthy cause.

FYI - Lendak attended Widney High and it is an actual school in LA. It is a special ed school.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Bubba, you did a great job capturing the Magic of Lendak there.

Godspeed, Lendak. Godspeed.

Gallipo in an All-World linebacker prospect. Last year, as a redshirt freshman, he was relegated to Lendak's personal water boy. He would have started on any other team in the nation but with the deepest LB squad in the nation, he wasn't cracking the rotation(he actually had surgery last spring or he would have played some). With the departure of Rivers and the Hitman combined with a stellar showing this spring, he is sure to see the field. The SC linebacker pipeline is secure.

Nice catch on Lendak's HS, Tank. What an amazing success story. I personally love the note on his recruit bio - "Anyone who does not recruit Lendak is beyond stupid" Notice Notre Dame is the only school listed with no offer. Of course, this would have been before Urban and the rest offered - as far as I know ND never did.

au_jl_1.jpgBOOM.jpg

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks,You were right.Pac-10 and Big-10 were able to put a kill lick on the Plus-one.

Steve,Thank you for your imput.I think Les Miles handled this in an admirable way.I cannot believe this young man would threaten a tremendous career with this short-sideidness. LSU will be better for it in the long run and it is great to see a Coach enforce the rules.

Just read an account of the University of Georgia's fans derelict behavior at the Sugar Bowl by a University of Hawai fan.It was despicable.Ranging from drunk 80 year old women barking at Commander's Palace to....well worse.All college fans are capable of bad conduct but Leghumpers....well they are just Leghumpers.

Perilooo - what a shame. Miles really didn't have a choice - I am sure he would have like to keep him on the team.

Poor, over matched Hawaii. Beaten on the field and by 80 year old grandma in the stands. I am not sure how many fans traveled but I would want to piss off any of Rey Mauluga's relatives. Those big Hawaiian's can more than hold their own.

This just in - Florida continues to innovate on the recruiting trail. Tebow - damn, that guy is everywhere. Performing circumcisions in the Philipines last week and now this. I wonder if he is a distant cousin of Lendak. (sorry Bubba - couldn't resist :mrlooney: )

----

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Florida quarterback Tim Tebow took the microphone, scanned the 14 rows of grim-faced men sitting in folding metal chairs and recognized the familiar hue of blue.

"How many Gator fans do we have in the house today?" Tebow asked.

After more than half the men raised their hands, Tebow added, "All right, those who didn't raise their hands, that's who I'm preaching to today."

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow delivered his message at two Florida prisons on April 19.

On a balmy Saturday morning in mid-April -- the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback's first weekend away from the bright spotlight of Florida football -- Tebow had never seemed more comfortable.

“These guys are actually pretty tame compared to the type of person I deal with on a daily basis as a member of the Florida football team,” noted Tebow.

As part of the University of Florida - Gainesville Prison Exchange Program, Tebow was dispatched by Meyer to scour for potential recruits to join the 2009 class. With a large number of Florida athletes ending up behind bars over the past few seasons, the Gainesville correctional facilities decided they needed to give back to the University by allowing Coach Meyer to hand pick inmates to join the team.

"We feel that Florida is a perfect place to start our exchange program," remarked program Director Smith. "At Florida they will fit right in and should have no problems adjusting to the type lifestyle that it takes to be a member of the football team. They will be surrounded by coaches that aren't overly concerned about the character or integrity of a person, but more so about what they can bring to the field."

Meyer does have a few concerns, however, regarding whether the inmates might feel a little intimidated joining the team and being surrounded by a more hardened criminal than what they are used. To combat this potential road block, Meyer has a familiar, and very persuasive, trick up his sleeve.

"Many of these inmates turn to religion once inside, so it's easy pickins once they hear Tebow tell them, 'God wants you to be a Gator!,'" said Meyer. "It worked when Pastor Tebow swayed recruit James Wilson, so I figured like father, like son. Listen, its hard work staying ahead of in-state rival Florida State when looking for recruits in these types of places, but luckily we were able to get this exchange program established. I'll be honest, we give more than we get through this program, but it's better than nothing."

------

:lol::lol::lol: - I think that came from the Onion

au_jl_1.jpg

Edited by jenks

Laguna Niguel, CA

Tebow and his Circumcisions.Now how can you get better press than that?Castrating cows?

Jenks, I am sorry I did not read your inmate story more closely before running off at the mouth.Unfortunately,most of the best inmates are usually already spoken for by Miami and Florida State in that order.If Tebow can talk the boys up in The Big House at Raiford to latter age Circumsion,he is better than I thought!

Bubba,

Little Timmy did not go to Raiford, he gave his inspirational talk at the minimum security compound in town. Raiford, as I'm sure you know, is a different animal entirely.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason,Was that article posted by Jenks for real?I kind of feel in a state of suspended animation!

I'm not sure if he did it himself or found the altered article somewhere but Meyer did not send Timmy out to a prison to look for potential UF football recruits. Although we may have some folks that will eventually end up in Raiford on the team. Timmy did go to a minimum security prison in town recently to do some missionary work.

I couldn't find the article on the onion website (I must say their sports parodies are awesome) but I admit that it made me chuckle.

""Many of these inmates turn to religion once inside, so it's easy pickins once they hear Tebow tell them, 'God wants you to be a Gator!,'" said Meyer."

This kid is becoming too "sparklely". Eventually he'll do something that the media can sink their teeth in.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

You mean Blink-Blink/Bling-Bling?

Bubba

If'n your gonna keep recruiting ex-cons for the FL program, you'd better find some boosters to chip in for bulletproof vests to wear under their pads:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8130110?MSNHPHMA

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Not sure where that article came from, guys. I assumed you would know it was a joke but now that I think about it, I can see how you would wonder.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Steve,Are you telling me you have never been shot in the back?

I have been stabbed in the back, both literally and figuratively. :winkie:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well its been awhile since I've commented on this topic, but I am glad what finally came down for Ryan P. I just don't understand how someone can simply toss away such a grand opportuinty. I'm gonna go out and say what an asshole he is for wasting a chance so many young men would love to have. I think what hurts the most is the fact that we were passed up by one of the best QB's in the nation b/c he knew Perriloux would be starting ahead of him. He single handley screwed LSU big time in the QB situation. I hope I'm singing a different tune come fall, but I haven't put much faith in the backups. One thing I ope is that we are able to limit interceptions. JaMarcus Russell was an absolute stud in this category and Flynn did limit those stats as well but I feel that is a huge difference maker in momentum. Keep the ball out of the DB's hands!

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Is it my failing memory, or were the Miami Hurricanes a major force in college football in the 80s. What happened to them?

Keith,The Canes are in a period of transition.The question is whether Coach Randy Shannon can take them to the promised land.They were dismal in his first year but he had a great recruiting class nailing a number of kids from the National High School Champion/NorthWestern.Can they start?We will see quickly when they play Florida on Sept.6,2008.

Miami won 5 National Championships between the Mid 80's to 2003.Coaches like Howard Schellenberger,Erickson,Jimmy Johnson did not hurt.They got the bulk of their talent from Dade,Broward and Palm Beach Counties.They cherry picked specialty talent sucessfully from out of state.(Quarterback,Tight-End...etc.)They developed that us against the world/battle fatigue thing very sucessfully and it sold.

Miami is a small private school,whose President(Donna Shalala) is more desireous of an academic reputation versus an out of control,rap,gangster thing that their program has sold to it's recruits in the past.The Athletic Department is now deeply in debt and it shows in their facilities.They simply do not have the financial support for state of the art training facilities,no on campus sporting venues and limited funds for top notch coaches.Randy Shannon is a top notch guy but he was not their first choice.The Hit Parade of former NFL dudes is not happy with their Miami but College Football has changed.They are quickly loosing interest and seem more and more remote from the program.

Recruits today are savvy and look closely at the reality of state of the art training facilities,(at Florida they can see how they compared to Jevon Kearse or whoever else at the same time) academic support,accomadations,fan support,TV exposure,etc.It still blows my mind that Miami considered good game attendance in the Orange Bowl around 30,000,even when they were winning National Championships.You can throw all the Gangster rap you want on these recruits but trying to explain why only 15,000 people are attending an ACC game in the Orange Bowl is a hard sell.

The bottom-line is whether Shannon can continue to produce a team of National prominence in the absense of top notch facilities coupled with an Administration that is trying to distance itself from it's reputation.To his credit,Shannon did an outstanding recruiting job this year selling immediate playing time to the group.What will happen if they do not play immediately and continue to spiral.Many,many college teams make their living recruiting kids from South Florida.(West Virginia had 32 Floridians last year)This will be an extremely crucial year for Hurricane Football.

That stated,even as a Gator I have enjoyed watching a few Miami victories.The most enjoyable one was back in the 80's during Brian Bosworth's tenure at Oklahoma.Miami traveled to Norman with Switzer as head Coach and two Rogue programs went at it.I forget the exact score but Miami waxed them good,beating them like red headed step-children.

LSU has picked a few good ones out of South Florida,like Ricky Franscious(SP),the linebacker(?) and others.The vultures are circling,the stakes are high and many would love to get their hands on that talent.

Francious is an absolute animal! :drool:

Don't forget the great Dwayne Bowe hailed from that area as well

Michael,How much you guys pay for Patrick Johnson.His dad wanted $150,000.00 from Florida and Miami.He had scored 15 on his test twice in a row but scored around 30 when he took the test in Melborne.Something about messed up finger prints.Said he needed a change of scenery in test locations and he felt much better on his third attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeffrey Demps,a Florida incoming freshman,came in third at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene,Oregon against some seasoned Olympic veterans.He ran a 10.19 100 meter but led for the first 60 meters.

Jeffrey is the fastest High-schooler in the US.He is 5'9 180lbs and averaged over 10 yards a carry at South Groveland High.He starts his career at Florida on June 30,2008.Coach Meyer is discussing a Demps,Harvin and Rainey backfield with Tebow playing Fullback.

Florida incoming Freshman,Jeffrey Demps, was just timed at 10.03 in the 100 meters in the Preliminaries?

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if any Hawaian Football Fans are on this Board.Florida plays Hawaii on Aug.30,2008 in G-ville.I have been to Hawaii and although it is warm and can be hot I question whether their team understands the Heat/Humidity that they can expect at that time of year in G-ville.

Specifically,I recall a Game between Florida and USC played around Labor Day in the early 80's.Florida won largely because USC was not able to deal with the combination of Heat/Humidity.I do not know if this will be a problem for Hawaii or not? Any comments?

I was wondering if any Hawaian Football Fans are on this Board.Florida plays Hawaii on Aug.30,2008 in G-ville.I have been to Hawaii and although it is warm and can be hot I question whether their team understands the Heat/Humidity that they can expect at that time of year in G-ville.

Specifically,I recall a Game between Florida and USC played around Labor Day in the early 80's.Florida won largely because USC was not able to deal with the combination of Heat/Humidity.I do not know if this will be a problem for Hawaii or not? Any comments?

Bubba,

It's baseball season. June. Lets talk baseball..... :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The passion for College Football is much like the passion felt by all Palms Addicts.It is similar to Religous Zeal, that at once is joyous but impossible to avoid.Baseball does the same thing for others and I feel your Pain.

Jeffrey Demps,incoming Florida Freshman, just became the Fastest High Schooler in History with a 10.01 100 Meters in the Olympic Trials.Not bad for a Running Back,who tried track because he thought it would be fun.

The Fastest High Schooler in History,Jeff Demps,(10.01 100 Meters)just became the fastest player in College Football,eclipsing LSU's Trindon Holliday(10.05 100 Meters).He's a Gator!

The Fastest High Schooler in History,Jeff Demps,(10.01 100 Meters)just became the fastest player in College Football,eclipsing LSU's Trindon Holliday(10.05 100 Meters).He's a Gator!

I take it your excited about this kid :)

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Well its been awhile since I've commented on this topic, but I am glad what finally came down for Ryan P. I just don't understand how someone can simply toss away such a grand opportuinty. I'm gonna go out and say what an asshole he is for wasting a chance so many young men would love to have. I think what hurts the most is the fact that we were passed up by one of the best QB's in the nation b/c he knew Perriloux would be starting ahead of him. He single handley screwed LSU big time in the QB situation. I hope I'm singing a different tune come fall, but I haven't put much faith in the backups. One thing I ope is that we are able to limit interceptions. JaMarcus Russell was an absolute stud in this category and Flynn did limit those stats as well but I feel that is a huge difference maker in momentum. Keep the ball out of the DB's hands!

Wow I just found this thread. My wife and I are both rabid LSU fans. About 2 weeks ago we were out at Zippy's in Baton Rouge watching an LSU baseball game and we got to talking with a guy that was out on the patio watching the game. Turns out he works in the kitchen at the Kona grill where Perilloux had the run in with the waiter. This guy told us that RP was a total jackass. Very disruptive and arrogant. And he did in fact verbally attack the waiter with racial slurs and was kicked out. The owner told all of the employees to keep quiet about it for fear of being blacklisted by fans if RP was kicked off the team. Good ridance. LSU has won 2 National Championships with less than spectacular quarterbacks. My wife and I went to the spring game and I think Andrew Hatch looked a little better than Jarrett Lee at quarterback.

I wonder if Keithtibideaux and Kathryn are football fans? We could have a palm swap/crawfish boil/kegger/football game party. LOL

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

You Tigers are taking over the world! You are loaded to the hilt and RP will be replaced by a guy just like Mauck or your QB last year.LSU is one of the few teams to not need a star QB to win it all.Can you say Defending National Champs?

You Tigers are taking over the world! You are loaded to the hilt and RP will be replaced by a guy just like Mauck or your QB last year.LSU is one of the few teams to not need a star QB to win it all.Can you say Defending National Champs?

Well, it's proven to be very difficult for LSU on even # years when they have to travel to both Auburn and Florida. On odd # yrs we have nicknamed the visit from Florida as "The Crying Game". First Urban Myer cried in '05 then Tebow in '07. :mrlooney: Ha ha, just kidding of course. Florida has a great team, I am actually a Tebow fan and not a Tebow hater. You can't deny he has amazing ability and high character. I hope Florida spanks Georgia this year.

tebowcry.jpg

The Auburn/LSU game has been interesting in that the visiting team has'nt won in quite a few years. And as soon as an Auburn fan admits the refs try to give them the game when they are at home, I'll admit the same about the LSU home games.

AuburnRef4-vi.jpg

chopblock.gif

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

This is how my kids feel about the Auburn refs..............

DSCN2464.jpg

Here they are in uniform................

DSCN2260.jpg

And here is me and my wife at the 2006 Sugarbowl..............

DSCN2506.jpg

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28